JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Jacob Deceives His Father Isaac

Q3. (Genesis 27:6-29)

God had told Rebekah that Jacob is supposed to rule over Esau (Genesis 25:23).

To what extent does this excuse her plan to deceive her husband Isaac?

How much responsibility does Jacob bear in the deception?

Rebekah knew of God

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rebekah had no right to deceive her husband by trying to help God with the situation. She was deceitful and acting in a selfish, sinful manner. She is taking the issue into her own hands to make sure that what she wants is accomplished even though God has already said the older will serve the younger.

Jacob has responsibility in this matter in that he made the choice to go along with what his mother suggested. He was a willing participant in this deception. He willingly let someone else dictate what he should do with his life.

Q3. (Genesis 27:6-29) God had told Rebekah that Jacob is supposed to rule over Esau (Genesis 25:23). To what extent does this excuse her plan to deceive her husband Isaac? How much responsibility does Jacob bear in the deception?

[font="Lucida Console"]There is no excuse for Rebekah's deceitful behavior. Isn't God omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient? He didn't need Rebekah's help to fulfil the plans he purposed for their sons. Jacob bears full responsibility. Just as I read in devotion this morning concerning Aaron and Moses, they were told by God to speak to the rock and command it to bring forth water, instead Moses struck the rock twice in anger and rebelled against God. Aaron was also held responsible for this action, he could not enter into the promised land, but died prematurely as Moses on top of the mountain due to his silent agreement with Moses and rebellion. We are held responsible for actions whether it was silent agreement or otherwise. We all will one day give an account of the words we have spoken and the deeds that we have done in our body.

Cynthia[/font] :)

[font="Lucida Console"]There is no excuse for Rebekah's deceitful behavior. Isn't God omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient? He didn't need Rebekah's help to fulfil the plans he purposed for their sons. Jacob bears full responsibility. Just as I read in devotion this morning concerning Aaron and Moses, they were told by God to speak to the rock and command it to bring forth water, instead Moses struck the rock twice in anger and rebelled against God. Aaron was also held responsible for this action, he could not enter into the promised land, but died prematurely as Moses on top of the mountain due to his silent agreement with Moses and rebellion. We are held responsible for actions whether it was silent agreement or otherwise. We all will one day give an account of the words we have spoken and the deeds that we have done in our body.

Cynthia :)[/font]

:)

What an interesting point of view! I never thought of it this way before, but, reading through your ideas I'm thinking that this is probably the way the original author(s) of the Jacob and Esau story would have wanted us to see it. It is true that "trickery" is not necessarily seen as a bad thing in the Bible-- not even in that incredibly enigmatic parable told by Jesus about the "tricky" account manager.

... but I don't know. I still think there are many other ways in which Jacob is portrayed negatively, and thus Rebekah, for acting "on Jacob's side". Note also that God never said that he wanted Esau to serve Jacob. God merely foretold that he would.

Thanks,y'all ! Great discussion.Only our Lord,can see into our hearts and know the TRUTH.Responsibility,may include that which is divinely confered upon us,which,in Jacob's case (as Israel),is immense.Throughout the OT,Jacob continues to experience the joys,sufferings,and judgements of his progeny,for,as Jesus said,"he is not the God of the dead,but of the living":Jacob's "responsibility" continues.Can he pray that his responsibility be performed,even by us ? Can we pray for him,even now ?

Q3. (Genesis 27:6-29) God had told Rebekah that Jacob is supposed to rule over Esau (Genesis 25:23). To what extent does this excuse her plan to deceive her husband Isaac? How much responsibility does Jacob bear in the deception?

I noticed that Rebekah prayed about the babies in her womb but she must have "forgotten" to pray when it came to her favorite son getting the blessing. There is no excuse for this deception. God had already told her that Jacob would rule over Esau. It was already Jacob's. This is certainly a very sad ending to what was a beautiful story of a bride for Jacob.

Jacob was very complicite in the matter. He knew it was wrong (Gen. 27:12) and he went along with the plot, deliberately lied to his father and hurt those he should have loved.

Once again the scary thing is I believe we each have it in us to go along with what we know is wrong. On our own without the Holy Spirit we seem to be very weak willed and unable to stand up to those in power. This is a very sad commentary on the human spirit.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

I don't think Rebekah can be excused from the deception. a lie is a lie. Jacob was weak in character because he didn't say"no this is the wrong thing to do" Neither were willing to wait on God's promise,they took things into their own hands so for the rest of their lives they lived a lie.

There is no excuse for not waiting on God to manage what He promises. We try to justify our actions when we try to control the outcome of a situation but by not waiting on God we are denying ourselves a blessing and possible miracle. For example: a friend of mine had a terminally ill child. When she and her husband decided to try for another child they discovered they were pregnant with twins. Later in her pregnancy they learned that both babies had the same terminal illness. Rather than wait for a miracle from God and a blessing, they decided to end the pregnancy in a late term abortion. The regret and guilt have been overwhelming for them. They tried to justify their decision but this was never God's plan for them. Sometimes we just think we know what is best for us and without the counsel and blessing from God we usually end up regretting whatever decision we make.

Jacob bears just as much responsibility, if not more as a spiritual leader in the home. Although Rebekah has no doubt told Jacob of what God spoke to her concerning his leadership, he should have stood firm on waiting for God. Jacob was not a child when this occurred. With Isaac and Esau not home, Jacob had the responsibility of the spiritual leadership in the home and he should have counselled Rebekah to wait for God to work. Jacob saw a quick and easy fix to the problem and so he participated in the manipulation and deception of Isaac and Esau so that Jacob would not have to wait for the inheritance.

God had told Rebekah that Jacob is supposed to rule over Esau (Genesis 25:23). To what extent does this excuse her plan to deceive her husband Isaac?

Even though God had told Rebekah, I believe that God had other means of achieving the prophecy rather than her deception. How God would have accomplished this, it would be God's action and not my thoughts of how He could have accomplished it.

He objected to the deception, but he decided to go along. He has just the same amount of responsibility. He could have said no. In today's society, people also do not have to go along with the crowd. This is a perfect example of why we have the problems that we face today.

It does not excuse her, Its like Sarah and Hagar or Joseph and his brothers. What they meant for evil God meant for good, and my God always wins out in the end. Jacob is responsible as well what does his name mean?

There really isn't any excuse for Rebekah when she took God's word to her and Jacob, because she inevitably took the matter into her own hands instead of waiting for and trusting God in matters to complete the promise. She also influenced her son to be deceitful and compromised his character by the bad example of her own. When God promised her or instructed her in this matter, she could have trusted Him in it. Even if it seems as though it's the last hour (Or even seeming to be beyond that....as shown through Christ and His death and rising again) God is faithful and has all the means and power to make anything happen if He so wills it. She should have waited.

Jacob bears just as much responsibility in it also. For the same reasons....and....he had every choice to not enter into the deceit. He only needed to say what was right and refuse to be drawn in. I know God would have rewarded his obedience to do right.

I don't believe Rebekah's plan to deceive Issac was all right even though God told her that Jacob is to rule over Esau. Did Rebekah do this because of God's plan or because she loved Jacob more than Esau? Many times we sin and try to excuse it as being part of God's plan. God would have taken care of the situation without the human deceit. As always, God used human imperfection to work out his plan.

Jacob was a willing partner in the deceit. He cannot be excused just for doing what his mother told him to do. He was a grown man, he easily could have said this is wrong, I'm sorry, I cannot be a part of this deception.

It doesn't excuse her at all and Jacob joined her in the deception even though he was fearful of being cursed.

Q3. (Genesis 27:6-29) God had told Rebekah that Jacob is supposed to rule over Esau (Genesis 25:23). To what extent does this excuse her plan to deceive her husband Isaac?

I can make excuses for her, with the little she knew about God, while we know from having the Bible as our guide, that what she did would not bring glory to the Lord. When she heard Isaac tell Esau to go hunt and prepare game preparatory to giving him the first born blessing, she panicked, and lacking the faith that God would intervene, took matters into her own deceptive hands. Such a human flaw....typical dysfunctional action. Good intentions, wrong action....been there, done that a time or two myself as a new believer, and God still worked in me to bring His purposes to pass. I regret not knowing what He would have done had I stayed out of it!

Jacob was fully aware of the deception. I don't know how old he was...if he was still under his Mother's wing, I wouldn't hold him completely responsible. If he was grown, as he may well have been, he was fully responsible for participating.

The fact that Rebekah knew God's plan for blessing Jacob should not have been a good reason to acquire it for Jacob by deceipt. Jacob coluded with her mother to obtain God's blessings by deceiving his father Isaac. He actaully was more responsible for the dedceipt because he carried out all the plans his mother laid down.

It doesn't excuse Rebekah's plan to deceive Isaac. When God says He is going to do something, then He is able to carry it out without anyone else's help - unless God specifically asks you to do something.

Jacob bears the same amount of responsibility as his mother for the deception. They are both in it together.

God bless. Love Greta

:wub:

We don't know how God intended to ensure that that Jacob would rule over Esau. But we can be sure He didn't ordain it through deceit, lies and collusion. While God uses both good and bad to bring His promises to light, our choice of actions in response serve to reveal that which is in our hearts.

Until we are all swept into Heaven, we will never know Rebekah's heart with certainty. Did she act out of pride for her beloved Jacob... did she fear that God had ordained her to see his prophecy come to pass... were there other motivations? We just don't know. But we do know that neither Rebekah nor Jacob acted in a manner which would bring honor and glory to their LORD.

468x60.jpg

Click HERE to sponsor a child today

Just because an individual prays does not give the individual, who is in a family relationship/with a headship, the right to act out to fulfill God's desires. A family dedicated to God, father, wife, son's have a duty to remain united in spirit and communications.

While Isaac may have forgotten or intentionally desired Esau to have the rights, it was the responsibility of Rebekah to have brought his actions/intentions to light (one on one.) It would have been Isaac's responsibility to listen to his wife, trusting her bringing God's message, while seeking God/Holy Spirit to confirm his actions as the spiritual leader.

Jacob should have never allowed his relationship with his mother allow him to justify deceiving and lying to his father. His relationship with his father should have been strong enough to be able to say no to his mother. He should have told his mother that he could not continue.

Once again we see individuality vs unity in a family structure; with the results being deception, lies and the seperation of what had orchestrated, a unit for God.

I dont think this excuses her at all. She should have trusted the Lord to do what He willed without the deceit. This to me shows how little she didnot trust the Lord. God uses us even with our sinful nature. How often we think we have to help the Lord along. Jacob bears all of the responsibility as well as far as I am concerned. He even would not except the consequenses of his actions but is willing to let his mother bear the curses if there is any. Jacob all along knew what he was doing was wrong but he did not have to strength or morals to let his mother know that and refuse to do her bidding.

We don't know how God intended to ensure that that Jacob would rule over Esau. But we can be sure He didn't ordain it through deceit, lies and collusion. While God uses both good and bad to bring His promises to light, our choice of actions in response serve to reveal that which is in our hearts.

Until we are all swept into Heaven, we will never know Rebekah's heart with certainty. Did she act out of pride for her beloved Jacob... did she fear that God had ordained her to see his prophecy come to pass... were there other motivations? We just don't know. But we do know that neither Rebekah nor Jacob acted in a manner which would bring honor and glory to their LORD.

468x60.jpg

Click HERE to sponsor a child today

amen Magnus

Q3 Rebekah taking the excuse to fulfill God's will has taken the situation into her head as Jacob being her favourite son. Upon eaves-dropping, Rebekah has gone to the extend of deceiving her husband, Isaac by following exactly his instructions to Esau in preparing a well cooked meal of domestic livestock; wore Esau's gamy-smelling clothing

and putting goatskin pieces on Jacob's arms and neck to simulate Esau's hairiness.

Jacob being a willing collaborator with his mother is equally guilty in this deception. If his mother is willing to bear the curse, he too is cursed for cheating his own brother of his rights.

There was no excuse for Rebekah to make that deceitful plan with Jacob. Even knowing what she did, it was no excuse. She was also instructing her son in the deceitful means. In any court, they were both guilty of deception.