JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Jacob's Worship and Vow

Q3. (Genesis 28:18-21) What did it mean to Jacob to set up the stone? What did anointing the stone mean to him? Why does he do these things? What does he promise God in his vow?

genesis 28:18 Early the next morning Jacob took the stone he had placed under his head and set it up as a pillar and poured oil on top of it. 19 He called that place Bethel, [f] though the city used to be called Luz. 20 Then Jacob made a vow, saying, "If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear 21 so that I return safely to my father's house, then the LORD [g] will be my God 22 and [h] this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God's house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth."

God's vision to Jacob was very important to his faith. This is the reason for the stone and the anointing of it, to remember the vision and recognize the need to confirm it permanently to God, with honor and respect.

when I think about the visionary feelings that God has used to bring me closer to Him, I keep asking myself why is my faith so modest. My love of God is strong even if I have my moments. I want to use this study moment as a meditation, and a desire to have a growing faith like Jacob. God is so good to me, I know I can have a better focus and faith, believing it is possible is the first step to allowing God's love to make me more trusting.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Genesis 28:18-21) What did it mean to Jacob to set up the stone? What did anointing the stone mean to him? Why does he do these things? What does he promise God in his vow?

Jacob had experienced God in the person. He erected the stone he used for a pillow and annointed it will oil in an act of making the place holy and shows his dedication to God. He agrees to walk in the way of God.

Setting up the stone marked that place as a special place in Jacob's life - a place where he not only came into he very presence of God but a place where he is introduced to god sand develops a unique and permenent realtionship with Him. . . Setting up the stone as a pillar also served as a constant reminder to Jacob of the vow and covenant between himself and his God. . .

Anointing the stone was an act of consecrating that place as well as himself to God - setting that place as well as himself apart to God and dedicating himself to the worship of God exclusively. . .

The vows Jacob made to God were (1) his exclusive and dedicated service to God; (2) a special place (geographic location) for worship - but also a life time of worship at all places he would be and at all times; and (3) that he would give God all that he owed as indicated by the mention of the tithe. . .

B)

• 3 weeks later...

When Jacob sets up the stone, it is an act of worship. He has seen these types of alters erected, but now, he is compelled to put up one of his own. Since anointing was an act of cleansing and consecrating, I imagine he now has enlightenment of the meaning of the act. There are sometimes when acts are just seen as rituals without spirit. Jacob's acts are done in a spirit to a God he has a personal relationship with. He goes on to respond to the vow God made with him, vowing 'his part' of the agreement.

• 1 year later...

Q3. (Genesis 28:18-21) What did it mean to Jacob to set up the stone?

Jacob had been given a revelation and a promise from God in a dream. When he awoke he declared that this place was the dwelling place of God and he wanted to commemorate that fact. Not only in Yahweh worship but in many other cultures it was believed that there were certain places where the unseen world of the gods intersected with our plane of reality. Given Jacob's very limited knowledge of spiritual things he most likely thought that Bethel was such a place, therefore he named it as such. The Genesis passage indeed says that Jacob said it was the gateway Heaven. Given the incredible dream he'd had in which Yahweh appeared to him and made magnanimous promises and assurances to him I think Jacob reacted appropriately and in keeping with the customs of that time. The stone was his pillow during the night and it was only fitting that he set that stone up as a memorial.

What did anointing the stone mean to him?

To anoint anything with oil (or sometimes water) was an act of consecration and dedication of the object for a holy purpose.

Why does he do these things?

After his life changing experience Jacob felt he should make a public display of devotion to Yahweh. Let's remember Jacob wasn't alone. He would have had an entourage with him consisting of servants and it was as much a sign to them. God had moved in Jacob's heart and caused a remarkable change in this formerly selfish and devious man. Reading ahead or ourselves here we see that Jacob from that time onward was a respectable and respectful man.

What does he promise God in his vow?

Jacob promises that if God keeps to His promises then Jacob will worship God and God alone and give Him a tenth of all God gives him. He also promises that Bethel will be considered the Home of God. God had made promises to Jacob and Jacob responded in kind. These promises weren't conditional on God' keeping His promises, they were a formal vow to serve God based on the traditions of these kinds of treaties in the land at that time in history.

• 1 month later...

The standing of the stone shows honor to God and remembers His revelation of Himself in that particular spot.

Jacob was cleansing and consecrating the stone to God.

The reason that he does these things is that he is setting the rock and himself apart from God.

Jacob promises God:

*Then Yahweh will be my God...

*Then this pillar will be God's house...

*Then I will give God a tenth of all God gives me...

• 6 months later...

3a)It was an act of honour,marking the place where God had shown himself to Jacob.

B)anointing stone with oil, was to dedicate himself in worship,anointing place &himself apart for God.

c)He wants to make the formal vow to seal the covenant,his response to God’s promises,d))He vows that i)That Yayweh will be Jacob’s God and ii)Jacob will give a tenth of all God gives him back to God. What was a family tradition became personal for Jacob .

• 11 months later...

When Jacob set up the stone it meant that it was the place where he met God in a personal way and that he would always remember him. To anoint the stone was to make it spiritually clean.

When Jacob did these things it was an act of dedication of him for worship.

He promised God in a vow that God would be his God, that the pillar would be God’s house, and that he would give him a tenth of all that God gives him.

• 2 years later...

Setting up the stone meant that Jacob was now knowing God for himself. He was building a relationship with Him. He was no longer just the God of my father but was now his God also.

Quote;

As Pastor Ralph stated in his commentary, "He anoints it as an act of cleansing and consecration, setting it -- and himself -- apart for God." Effectively he is honoring God because of what God disclosed to Jacob.

Quote;

Why does he do these things? It is his way of placing himself, his life, before the Lord. His father's God has become his own God now.

� What does he promise God in his vow?

If God will be with me... 

If God will watch over (protect) me... 

If God will give me food and clothing... 

If God brings me safely again to my father's house ...

If God will do what he has promised, then Jacob solemnly vows:

Then Yahweh will be my God... 

Then this pillar will be God's house... 

Then I will give God a tenth of all God gives me

Setting up the stone meant that Jacob was now knowing God for himself. He was building a relationship with Him. He was no longer just the God of my father but was now his God also.

Quote;

As Pastor Ralph stated in his commentary, "He anoints it as an act of cleansing and consecration, setting it -- and himself -- apart for God." Effectively he is honoring God because of what God disclosed to Jacob.

Quote;

Why does he do these things? It is his way of placing himself, his life, before the Lord. His father's God has become his own God now.

� What does he promise God in his vow?

If God will be with me... 

If God will watch over (protect) me... 

If God will give me food and clothing... 

If God brings me safely again to my father's house ...

If God will do what he has promised, then Jacob solemnly vows:

Then Yahweh will be my God... 

Then this pillar will be God's house... 

Then I will give God a tenth of all God gives me

• 6 years later...

Q3. (Genesis 28:18-21)

What did it mean to Jacob to set up the stone?

Why does he do these things?

What does he promise God in his vow?

Jacob worshiped the God Who appeared to him.  Then he erected the stone into a pillar, as a memorial of the great experience he had had that night.  The anointing of the stone was to consecrate it to the Lord.  Symbolically  pouring out his life in devotion to the Lord, i.e. dedicating his life to the Lord from that time onward.  In his vow he promises that  the Lord would be his God;    this place, Bethel, will be a sacred place to him;  when he returns he will give a tenth of the increase of his possessions to God.