JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Reuben's Sin

Q5. (Genesis 35:22)

What is the significance of Reuben's sin? Reuben, you are my firstborn, my might, the first sign of my strength,

excelling in honor, excelling in power.

Turbulent as the waters, you will no longer excel,

for you went up onto your father's bed,

onto my couch and defiled it." (49:3-4)

In what way does it go beyond a sexual sin? This was more than youthful passion, it was a direct insult to his father.

We're not told, but how do you think this affected the family dynamics? I would think this would affect the relationship between father and son.

Extra credit: Reuben has acted dishonorably here. In what ways does Reuben act honorably in the future? (37:21-29; 42:22, 37) He tries to protect Joseph from being sold into slavery.

Genesis 37:21 But Reuben heard this and rescued him out of their hands and said, "Let us not take his life."

<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

AS THE OLDEST SON REUBEN WAS IN LINE TO RECEIVE A DOUBLE PORTION OF THE FAMILY INHERITANCE AND A PLACE OF LEADESHIP AMONG HIS PEOPLE.WHEN WE SIN WE NEED TO STOP AND THINK WHO IT WILL AFFECT JUST LIKE REUBEN SEXAL SIN HURT HIM AND HIS WHOLE FAMILY.

REUBEN WAS HONORABLE WHEN HE REFUSED TO HURT JOSEPH AS HIS BROTHERS WANTED TO DO

Q5. (Genesis 35:22) What is the significance of Reuben's sin? In what way does it go beyond a sexual sin? We're not told, but how do you think this affected the family dynamics? Extra credit: Reuben has acted dishonorably here. In what ways does Reuben act honorably in the future? (37:21-29; 42:22, 37)

What Reuben did was absolute wickedness. It showed disrespect for himself and for his father. I also wonder if Bilhah did a litle encouraging. She seemed a willing participant. To me this just goes ahead and reaffirms the absolute depravity of our human hearts without the firm hand of the Lord and our willing submission to Him. I also think again we are seeing the effects of the favoritism shown to a favorite wife and maybe a "little" more joy when Jacob is with her and her children. I believe everyone in this family was hurt by this favoritism. Because of this sin of Reuben, he loses his birthrite. Jacob took it from Esau and now he has to take it from his firstborn who I am sure was for many years his pride and joy.

Reuben redeems himself in someway by his compassion on his father and Joseph during that yet coming sad chapter in Jacob's life. Unfortunatly we cannot undo some of our actions. We can only go to God and confess and pray for His mercy. And then praise Him because he is a God of total and

complete mercy.

Somehow studying Jacob's life seems a little heavy at times and I wonder if much has changed. We take sin so lightly and yet it has totally changed what God said "It is good" to ruin and heartbreak.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

The significance of Reuben's sin is that he lost the blessing of a first son which he would have received. Defiling his father's wife was a great sin that was beyond a sexual sin.

Q5. (Genesis 35:22) What is the significance of Reuben's sin? In what way does it go beyond a sexual sin? We're not told, but how do you think this affected the family dynamics? Extra credit: Reuben has acted dishonorably here. In what ways does Reuben act honorably in the future? (37:21-29; 42:22, 37)

Gen 35:22 And it came to pass, while Israel dwelt in that land, that Reuben went and lay with Bilhah his father's concubine: and Israel heard of it. Now the sons of Jacob were twelve:

It is noted that this probably took place while Israel was away and that he heard about it. Meaning if he heard about it, it was probably common knowledge that his own son was sleeping with his concubine.

The first-born is not always the best, nor the most promising. This was Reuben's sin, but it was Jacob's affliction. We also notice that Reuben, of all the brothers, had most reason to be jealous of Joseph, for he was the first-born, and so entitled to those distinguishing favours which Jacob was conferring on Joseph; yet he proves his best friend. So it may be noted that his hatred seemed to aimed at his father. He may also have been hoping to regain his father's favour here. It seems to me that Reuben spends the rest of his life trying to undo the terrible mistake he made.

The significance of Reuben's sin was that it prevented him being the eventual leader of the clan after Jacob's death.

It also removed him from being the tribe that the Messiah would come through. Simeon and Levi also lost the blessing to have the Messiah come through their line. Jesus would eventually come through the line of Judah,the fourth son

This goes beyond a sexual sin because it was a direct insult to his father.

The way this probably affected the family dynamics was that there was likely tension between Jacob and Rueben after that.

Rueben acted honorably in the future by telling Jacob he could kill his sons if anything happened to Benjamin in Egypt. When the brothers went down to Egypt to buy grain,Joseph had Simeon imprisoned. The only way he could be freed was if the brothers brought their youngest brother Benjamin with them next time they came to Egypt. At first jacob refuses to let what he believes to be the only child left of his beloved wife Rachel out of his sight. Rueben redeems himself by promising that if he doesn't bring Benjamin safely back from Egypt,then Jacob can do away with his sons.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reuben's sin eleminated him as the eventual leader of the clan both on the natural side and the spiritual side as well - as the leaser of this clan would have to have and maintain a relationship with God. . .

Reuben's act is without a doubt sin - but beyond this it also shows that he lacked respect for his father and for God also. . .

In a sense Reuben acted honorable when he stood up against his brothers preventing the from taking the life of Joseph. . .

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

5a)He showed weakness&lack of respect for Jacob in sleeping with Bilnah&jeapodised his claim for inheritance as firstborn& head of family.

b)It was a selfish act showing no respect for anyone or good example for his younger brothers.

C)Terrible for family dynamics. D)Reuben acted honourably by not wanting Joseph killed but putting him in cistern(ideally to retrieve him later) by offering to sacrifice his 2 sons if Benjamin is not returned safely.

• 1 year later...

The significance of Reuben’s sin is that he was the first born and should have received the first born inheritance but now he will not. This goes beyond a sexual sin in that he is trying to get control of the clan. This act affected the family dynamics by the other not trusting Reuben.

Reuben probably saved Joseph’s life after he had been put into the pit. He offered to protect Benjamin when Joseph wanted to see him.

• 9 years later...

Q5. (Genesis 35:22)

What is the significance of Reuben's sin?

In what way does it go beyond a sexual sin?

We're not told, but how do you think this affected the family dynamics?

Reuben has acted dishonorably here. In what ways does Reuben act honorably in the future? (37:21-29; 42:22, 37)

Oh how many look back in despair upon sins committed, without  thinking of the consequences of ones actions.  It gets forgiven but the consequences remain.

Reuben lay with Bilhah, Jacob's concubine, Rachel's maid.  She was someone who had been prepared to have children that would be seen as Rachel's children, not her own. She had agreed to be a surrogate mother. Indeed a very selfless act.  According to what we read in ancient texts about concubines , is that their status is never the same as a wife, but by whoever they are taken upon the death of (say they were the king's concubine) the king , is claiming rights to the throne. In other words claiming rights to being the heir of the concubines 'husband'.   By his act, Reuben was declaring to all and sundry, that he was ready to take over his father's position , as leader of the tribe.  We are not told more, if he was trying to prove something, if it was that he was overcome by deviousness on her part, or what it was. Only that the act was committed and he paid for it by his rights as firstborn son to be forfeited. 

It is so often that the sin is highlighted and remembered and honourable deeds are overshadowed by it.   I guess, in this way we see how GREAT GOD'S MERCY AND GRACE AND FORGIVENESS STRETCH.  

When the brother's wanted to kill Joseph, Reuben was the one to dissuade them and encourage them to rather put him into the pit.  His intention was to set him free later on.  When he returned to the pit and did not find him there Reuben was greatly distressed. The others had agreed to sell him to the Ishmaelite traders that came past there.  

It does sound like Reuben had remorse for his actions.  He did not want more sorrow to be brought upon Israel, than he was already carrying with  the loss of Joseph.

Even though Reuben was not party to the selling of Joseph, the guilt was on him also, for he was the one that spoke about it years later, in front of Joseph, before his identity was revealed.  Before they went to buy grain again , it was Reuben that offered his sons as surety for Benjamin.