JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Nailing the Law to the Cross

Q3. (Colossians 2:13-15) How did forgiveness free us from the Law? What is the significance of nailing the Law to the cross? What does this symbolize? How did the cross bring triumph over evil spiritual forces?

Forgiveness freed us from the Law by the blood of Jesus on the cross. Jesus knew that mankind could not keep the law because of the sin in the world. So, once we ask for forgiveness, we are free to serve Him as He needs us to serve Him.

Nailing the Law to the cross is significant because we can't keep the Law. We need the forgiveness that only Jesus can give, so that we can make it to Heaven.

Throughout the O.T. God demanded a blood sacrifice for the atonement of sin. However, the blood of animals wasn't good enough since it didn't triumph over evil spiritual forces. Only the blood of Jesus on the cross conquored the evil spiritual forces.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Colossians 2:13-15) How did forgiveness free us from the Law?

Forgiveness freed us from the Law because Christ fulfilled the Mosaic Law on our behalf in His death on the cross.

What is the significance of nailing the Law to the cross?

The significance of nailing the Law to the cross suggest that is where it has been fulfilled.

What does this symbolize?

It symbolizes we are no longer under the old covenant.

How did the cross bring triumph over evil spiritual forces?

The cross bring triumph over evil spiritual forces because of Christ death on the cross and the victory of eternal life that it brings to all who denounce the Devil and his works and accepts Jesus Christ as their Savior and Lord.

By His forgiveness all sins were wiped cleaned. Jesus took upon Himself our sins and as He was "nailed" to the cross, so were our sins. Because Jesus was obedient to the cross and followed through with what God required Him to do, He triumphed over all evil.][/size[/color]]

• 1 month later...

Answer:

Faith is the one that free us from the Law,.Faith in the Lordship of Jesus.Through our Faith we are save by Grace(and this Faith is not even ours,but God kind of Faith-Ephesians 2:8- For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves G5216: it is the gift of God.)

The significance of nailing the Law to the cross is that,it is no longer valid in the New Covenant that we have.Before we are all under the Law,when there is no Faith,( Galatians 3:23- But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.).

But after we put our Faith in Jesus,we are no longer bonded by the schoolmaster,which is the Law( But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster-Galatians 3:25).

In other words,the purpose of the Law was finally put to rest,having been accomplished by Christ Jesus,by shedding His blood in the cross fulfilling the requirements of the Law ofMoses .We are free from all its ordinances,curses..For Jesus become the curse for us(Gal 3:13).

It symbolizes the end of the Old Covenant,and the birth of a better and New Covenant,a Covenant between God and Jesus,in which all the believers are covered by his blood

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. (Colossians 2:13-15) How did forgiveness free us from the Law? What is the significance of nailing the Law to the cross? What does this symbolize? How did the cross bring triumph over evil spiritual forces?

1. How did forgiveness free us from the Law?

Forgiveness freed us from the Law because of what Christ did for me and you. Paid the ultimate sacrifice. His life for me. Because of that the Holy Spirit is our guide not the law.

2. What is the significance of nailing the Law to the cross?

That the law has been fulfilled.

3. What does this symbolize?

Jesus Christ death/burial/resurrection

4. How did the cross bring triumph over evil spiritual forces?

The cross brings triumph by Christ fulfilling his mission on it.

• 2 weeks later...

1. How did forgiveness free us from the Law?

Since Christ laid down his life for me I have been forgiven. Christ laying down his life was part of the fulfillment of the law.

2. What is the significance of nailing the Law to the cross?

We no longer need the guidance of the law because we now have the guidance to the Holy Spirit. That it has been fulfilled on the cross.

3. What does this symbolize?

It symbolizes the death, burial and resurrection of Christ.

4. How did the cross bring triumph over evil spiritual forces?

The cross brings triumph over the evil spirit as our saviour laid down his life for me and you.

Q3. (Colossians 2:13-15) How did forgiveness free us from the Law?

When Jesus died on the Cross, His mercy and grace freed us from having to pay for our sins. He took the punishment for us.

What is the significance of nailing the Law to the cross?

No matter how high the price of forgiveness was, Jesus paid that price.

What does this symbolize?

It symbolizes our freedom from sin if we will only accept His sacrifice.

How did the cross bring triumph over evil spiritual forces?

Jesus was the sacrificial lamb, sacrificed for the forgiveness of our sins. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Col 2:13 Even when you were dead because of your offenses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with him when he forgave us all of our offenses,

Col 2:14 having erased the charges that were brought against us with their decrees that were hostile to us. He took those charges away when he nailed them to the cross.

Col 2:15 And when he had disarmed the rulers and the authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in the cross.

Christ came and followed the law, He then died for us, in our place and was the sacrifice which defeated death...because of that we are freed from the law. That does not mean that we can do as we please, we are to do what is pleasing to Christ which in fact is even more that what the law implies but with freedom from the law we realize that it is through Christ and Christ alone there is salvation and nothing of our own doing will bring it about. Nailing the Law to the cross reminds us that it was all fulfilled and finished by the death of Christ on the cross with His burial and Resurrection. With the cross the final battle against death was won. Satan still is here and still will attempt to persuade us but we have the victory in Christ. We know that in the end he will be banished.

• 3 weeks later...

Nailing the law to the cross symbolizes the death of the law. Yes, Christ was nailed there, too, but the difference is that he rose again while the law pretty much rotted away there on the cross--over and done with! We humans try to resurrect the law all the time because law is easier to make sense of than grace. It's our nature to try to pry those laws back off the cross and live with their burdens. Paul makes such a big deal about this issue because it is central to our faith and central to our growth in Christ. How can you grow in your relationship with the living God while trying to maintain a relationship with the dead law?

• 1 month later...

Forgiveness did not Free us from the law it Completed the law through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The fulfillment of the prophesy for the Messiah.

Nailing the law the to the cross signified the law is completed.The old covenant is dead and a new one has replaced it through forgiveness and grace.Jesus Christ took our place on the cross to abolish the law of the old covenant, and establish the law of the new covenant which is forgiveness,redemption,love,and fulfillment through Christ alone, not through ritual, or law.

The cross disarms evil powers and strips them of their power, But they are not fully defeated until the second coming of Christ. They are weakened and stripped of power but still very much alive and we must guard against them. When Christ returns Satan will be fully destroyed and thrown into a lake of fire. It is all part of the completion of the prophesy of the revelation, the second coming Christ.

• 3 months later...

a)Forgiveness has freed me from the hold of guilt &sin,the holy spirit is now my guide not the Law. God is merciful with me, &forgives me if I slip up, & focus on me, rather than looking to helping others moresmile.gif

. B)Nailing the Law to the cross,shows how it is cancelled, our sins are blotted out. He took away the OT law, by his death &resurrection. He fulfilled the Law on our behalf, old covenant ended.Under new covenant we are now to rest in Jesus &take his yoke which is light seeking more of him,now with changed heart not weighed down by burden of rules. smile.gif

C)Symbolises Jesus has the victory through his sacrifice.He binds his powers Matthew 12:29. Satan falling from heaven Luke 10:18,Satan is throne out of heaven&into lake of fire Rev 12 &20.smile.gif

D)Jesus triumphed over the principalities & powers.Decisive battle won by Jesus on the cross.Satan is weakened, &church given power over him. Satan not destroyed totally, satan is deafeated totally &utterly after Christ returns.Before Jesus we were unable to meet law requirements because of sin, now can achieve all things in his will, because we have him in us. biggrin.gif

a)Forgiveness has freed me from the hold of guilt &sin,the holy spirit is now my guide not the Law. God is merciful with me, &forgives me if I slip up, & focus on me, rather than looking to helping others moresmile.gif

. B)Nailing the Law to the cross,shows how it is cancelled, our sins are blotted out. He took away the OT law, by his death &resurrection. He fulfilled the Law on our behalf, old covenant ended.Under new covenant we are now to rest in Jesus &take his yoke which is light seeking more of him,now with changed heart not weighed down by burden of rules. smile.gif

C)Symbolises Jesus has the victory through his sacrifice.He binds his powers Matthew 12:29. Satan falling from heaven Luke 10:18,Satan is throne out of heaven&into lake of fire Rev 12 &20.smile.gif

D)Jesus triumphed over the principalities & powers.Decisive battle won by Jesus on the cross.Satan is weakened, &church given power over him. Satan not destroyed totally, satan is deafeated totally &utterly after Christ returns.Before Jesus we were unable to meet law requirements because of sin, now can achieve all things in his will, because we have him in us. biggrin.gif

a)Forgiveness has freed me from the hold of guilt &sin,the holy spirit is now my guide not the Law. God is merciful with me, &forgives me if I slip up, & focus on me, rather than looking to helping others more.cool.gif

B)Nailing the Law to the cross,shows how it is cancelled, our sins are blotted out. He took away the OT law,fulfilling it on our behalf, by his death &resurrection.Old covenant ended.now in new covenant we are to rest in Jesus &take his yoke which is light seeking more of him as to how we should live, with changed heart not weighed down by burden of rules but free in him. biggrin.gif

C)Symbolises Jesus has the victory through his sacrifice.He binds his powers Matthew 12:29. Satan falling from heaven Luke 10:18,Satan is throne out of heaven&into lake of fire Rev 12 &20. D)Jesus triumphed over the principalities & powers.Decisive battle won by Jesus on the cross.Satan is weakened, &church given power over him. Satan not destroyed totally, satan is deafeated totally &utterly after Christ returns.Before Jesus we were unable to meet OTlaw requirements because not possible by human effort alone& sin, now we can achieve all things in his will, because we have his Spirit in us transforming our mind & heart. cool.gif

• 1 year later...

Forgiveness freed us from the Mosaic Law by Jesus’ work on the cross and His fulfillment of the demands of the Law. We are no longer under the law but led by the Holy Spirit. The New Covenant replaced the Old Covenant; made possible by the blood of Jesus and sealed with the Holy Spirit. The cross triumphs over Satan because he was disarmed and made weak. Jesus crushed the head of the enemy and bound the strongman in his house (when He took the keys from Satan) giving us the power to trample over serpents and put Satan under our feet.

• 2 years later...

The law enables us to recognize our sin. If we recognize our sin and  if we recognize that we are sinners than we can accept the forgiveness that God offers in Christ than God blots out our sin, erases it cancels it and  removes it so as to leave no trace, remove, destroy, obliterate the sin. John Calvin in his commentary compares it to hand writing on a paper. God wipes it out with his forgiveness. By erasing the handwriting of sin the sinner is liberated onto Christ. 

Nailing the hand writing on the cross is to remind us of the manner that Jesus the Messiah that Jesus erased the hand writing on the sheet.

It is by the cross of Christ that victory has been bought over death,  sin and Satan. The  Messiah has come and his Spirit has been poured out, the Law is no longer our guide; the Holy Spirit is now our guide. (notes)