JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Faith without Repentance

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repent of their known sins?

"Adopting the Christian faith" isn't the same thing as becoming a Christian. The initial repentance that precedes receiving Christ is only the beginning of a life of repentance. Repentance doesn't just happen once in a Christian's life but is an integral part of the walk of faith with Christ. I have to say that for myself, I have repented every day since I believed in Jesus Christ. Having the Holy Spirit makes repentance a necessity. I am overwhelmed with remorse even for the smallest of things. I pray daily that the Lord put a watch on my lips and I hide His Word in my heart so that I will not fall into sin.

Why do people avoid repentance?

I can only speak for myself. In my life there were things that I thought I could keep if I just rearranged them and made them look good. But in reality, there was little of the old me that was worth keeping. I avoided ridding myself of some things because I thought of them as parts of me that I could not live without. I did not consider those things sins. And perhaps it isn't so much an avoidance of repentance as much as it is ignorance of what sin really is. Until the Light of the Holy Spirit dwells within us, we don't really have any sense of our own sin. It is by His illumination that we become aware and able to be convicted.

What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart?

It's hard to say. But I suspect that there are more than just a few.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[Kasimu=Pastor Ralph' date='16 19 May 2011 - 04:00 PM' timestamp='1284661864' post='57369]

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins? Why do people avoid repentance? What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart?

[What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins?]

Our God is Holy and does not fellowship with any sin. So in such a situation one does not grow because for one there is no place in our hearts for God to dwell in, hence no conviction nor inspiration by the Holy Spirit. Secondly, we tend to make God a liar as the Bible says that all have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God.

Due to lack of conviction by the Holy Spirit. One doesn't know when whether on wrong or right. Also self justification taking things for granted. Becoming used of repeating one sin every now and then such that one does not recognize when on wrong or right.

What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart?

So many. The Bible says that at the last days love for many will go cold. Definitely this is what's happening to many Christians today, there is no agape love in our congregations and the scriptures say that for those who don't love do not know God since God is love.

• 4 weeks later...

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins? Why do people avoid repentance? What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart?

1) When people adopt the Christian faith without repenting then they have not allowed the opportunity for God to come in and change them. We must admit our sin, then God will receive us and help us to live the way he wants.

2) People avoid repentance so they can continue in their old ways. They may think that since God is such a loving God that He will forgive them anyway. Also, they may think that they have done nothing wrong.

3) I do not know then percentage of Christians that are unrepentant and unprepared in heart. I will say that things have really change over the years where people seem less concerned about serving God.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins? When people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins,

they do not experience the peace of salvation, nor can they know Christ. Repentance is crucial to salvation and transformation.

People avoid repentance for a variety of reasons, some of which include pride (that old ego) and arrogance, and fear of the unknown. It is frightening for the unrepentant to contemplate complete surrender to Christ, a giving up of the self. The self(and the counterpart to self, Satan) is all we know before we know God.

I am not sure about percentages, but many are not repentant.

• 8 months later...

Without repentance there is no real salvation. This is the “deal” the covenant Jesus made with us:

Repent your sins, forgive those who has sinned against you and your sins will be forgiven. You will have reconciliation with God.

People like to say God will accept you as you are. This is not completely true. God didn’t accept Saul’s offer when he was disobedient. God didn’t accept Cain’s offering.

God accepts us when we repent, when we accept and bow down under His authority. Then His love, grace and mercy is so unbelievable that He accepts us, doesn’t matter what we may have done.

People avoid repentance because of pride, because they don’t want to accept God’s authority. They deceive themselves that they can accept God’s love without obeying God.

They want to stay in control, accepting God’s gifts on their own terms.

The last part of the question I don’t know how much. We must have a burning desire to bring people to Christ, but whether they accept Christ on God’s terms is between God and them. We must ensure that we teach them as correct as possible, but it stays their responsibility, just as my salvation is my responsibility. You can’t do it for somebody else.

I am worried at how many people say, “God will forgive me” as if we can tell God what He should do, not the other way around”. Once we accept Christ as our Saviour, we must take responsibility for our actions.

We can’t do it from ourselves, but God gives us His Spirit as guide and teacher. With God’s help we can live a repentant and a sin reduced life, the stronger our relationship grows with God, the easier it becomes to resist temptation.

• 7 months later...
Guest Talitha koum
Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith

without repenting of their known sins? .Why do people avoid repentance? What percentage of Christians today do you think are

unrepentant, unprepared in heart?

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins?

If a person adopts the Christian faith without repenting of their sins, they will continue to sin. Nor will their hearts be prepared

to receive Him and possibly not be able to enter Heaven, because their name is not written in the Lambs Book of Life.

Matthew 7:21

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)

Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father

which is in heaven.

Revelation 21:27

And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but

they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Romans 2:13

For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

The answer to that is in the first question, a person can "adopt the Christian faith" and the last part of the third question "unrepentant, unprepared in heart"

A person can "adopt the Christian faith" without the Holy Spirit, Spirit of Truth touching their heart and will avoid repentance. A person must ask the Lord to dwell in our heart, to change us and become Spirit filled. It is the work of the Holy Spirit, Spirit of Truth that prepares the heart and mind of a person for repentance and to repent for the salvation made possible only by the blood, death on the cross and resurrection of our Redeemer, Jesus.

A person becomes aware of their own sin, has an aversion to it and thereby, with true sorrow, humbly repents. The prepartory work of the Holy Spirit is done in our hearts and mind for those that receive Him, our Lord and Savior, Jesus. A hunger and thirst for righteousness and the Word is a blessing given for those that earnestly seek and love our Lord

Galatians 4:6

And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father

2 Timothy 1:7

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Matthew 5:6

Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

John 14:15-17

15If ye love me, keep my commandments.

16And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17Even the Spirit of

truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with

you, and shall be in you.

John 16:13

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever

he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Romans 8:9

But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of

Christ, he is none of his.

1 Corinthians 2:14

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them,

because they are spiritually discerned.

Only the Lord knows what percentage have unrepentant, unprepared hearts.

Thank you Pastor Ralph for these questions for they are such a blessing!

• 4 months later...

When people adopt faith without repenting of their sins they follow their own ways and desires that contradict the teachings and commands of Jesus. I also believe that true adoption of the Christian faith is difficult without repentance and living a true Christian life requires adapting to some structure (living according to the Bible). Where the world is a “free for all” so to speak, the Bible requires that believers live and act a certain way which is very much different (put old things, behaviors, attitudes, etc. behind) from living in the world which we left. I believe people avoid repentance for various reasons: some out of ignorance and lack of guidance on what they should do, some out of pride not believing they have anything to repent for, some not wanting to or ready to live a life without sin to name a few. Though I can’t put a number on Christians who are unrepentant or unprepared in heart, I’d say there are probably more than I can count. However, nothing is too hard for God; look at how He changed Paul’s heart on the road to Damascus.

• 3 months later...

Some would argue that they haven’t really become Christians at all.  They may find the Christian philosophy appealing but have not surrendered their self rule over to God.  If they had, repentance would most likely be a natural response.  

Repentance requires undoing many habits of the heart and mind which have formed over many years.  We naturally gravitate towards behaviours which make us feel good.  Resisting these behaviours takes effort, discipline and ceasing to do what has felt pleasurable or natural to us for so many years.  Even when our behaviours have become detestable to us, we often return to that which is familiar rather than making the decision to wipe the slate clean and start anew.  

My guess is that the percentage of unrepentant Christians is very high.  Many Christians may begin well, but fail to adequately guard their hearts and minds, thus allowing the hills and valleys to return.  

• 8 months later...

When people "adopt" the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins they may as well not repent .  They are not repentant in the heart.  They follow their own desires and vices not the teachings of Jesus.  I think people avoid repentance because they feel the Christian faith is one of the Do Nots.  Do not do this and do not do that.  The percentage of Christians today who are unrepentant and unprepared in heart I could not tell you.  I know what I see but I do not know their hearts.

• 1 year later...

Part A

Repentance is 101 and fundamental to our Christian faith.  While living without it, a person would be "following their own ways and desires in direct contradiction to the teachings and commands of the Lord Jesus Christ" (Dr. Wilson).

There are just too many Scriptures with the command to repent than to try to live life without repenting of "known sins" (Question Q1).

Neither John, Christ, nor the Twelve would back down from their command to repent (Mt. 3:2; 4:17; Lu. 13:3, 5; Mk. 6:12).

We are just not prepared to welcome the King (Christ) without repentance: our life (heart) must be straight and smooth for the welcome.

People must "change their mind about the way they were living" and "recognize their sins and turn from them" (Dr. Wilson).

One of my friends, while we were discussing this question said, "They had it, but it didn't have them."

Part B

They just don't want to say, "I was wrong."  What will people say or think?  It's hard to say those words, must less admit them (sins).  I would think it would be more of "What would God think?"

I would think that there are a lot of people who think they can live on both sides of the fence at the same time.  We must decide which it will be, the "world" (Jam. 4:4, or the "few") (Mt. 7:14, 9:37, and 22:14).

Part C

The way I understand this part of the question, is that, there will be more who confess their sins and ask for forgiveness than there will be who will abandon them.

I have really enjoyed this question; it has called for me to do a checkup of my own life (heart).

• 3 months later...

-One cannot be a true christian without repentance.

-Unrepentance is disobedience to our Savior

-One will never be able to develop a relationship with the savior or grow as a christian without repentance.  

-One who calls himself christian and not repent  is because the heart is still with the world.  As christians, although we live in this world, we should turn our hearts away from carnal, wordly things that once was attractive to us. 

-I am guessing that 70% of christians are unrepentanted

• 1 month later...

Repentance is about a change of mind, which in turn leads to a change of heart and direction. The Word says that we shouldn't be conformed to this world but to be transformed by the renewing of our mind. This transformation requires a change of mind, thus repentance is necessary. The only way to be conformed to Kingdom life and living is through faith in the King, Jesus. Following Him will be contrary to the direction of unrepentant lives.

• 7 months later...

Q1.  What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins? 

They continue with a rough and uneven heart making navigation difficult for the Lord. Only  conviction by the Holy Spirit and obedience to his admonitions will their hearts be smoothed out that the Lord may walk unhindered in their spirit.  

Those that don’t repent are fooling themselves that they are Christians.  When Jesus comes again he will tell them  

never knew youdepart from me, ye that work iniquity.” Mat_7:23  and “rebellion is as the sin 

of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee, 1Sa 15:23

Repentance like sanctification is ongoing, as you obey what you understand, so you grow in the Lord, and I thank God He 

is so patient.

By the Holy Spirit I came to repentance before I believed; but I needed the power of the Holy Spirit before I could change and the Lord was so generous and forgiving that He saved me most gloriously soon after.  But it ain't an easy walk, one must keep praying and listening to Jesus.

Q. Why do people avoid repentance

They want to do their own thing and not be thwarted by the need to obey the Lord.

Q What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart? 

I believe there are more people calling themselves Christian, than there are Christians.

• 3 years later...
On 9/16/2010 at 2:31 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins?  Why do people avoid repentance? It's hard to say since I cannot judge the actions of others but I would assume that if you do not repent, God will not look favorably upon you. This might lead to the un-repentant being denied entry to the Kingdom. Again I don't know why others would refuse to repent but I would think that perhaps they don't realize that they're sinning, or are not able give up the sinful act. I always acknowledge my repentance in my prayers and I always ask for forgiveness. At the end of the day, we are human, and therefore, we are imperfect and with fault and/or sins. No one is perfect and it's unrealistic to think that we can be like Christ; we are not God.  We can do our very best to comply with his teachings and avoid the sins as outlined by Moses. I believe that if you are good to your neighbors, and exhibit empathy to those in need, you are on your way to being saved.

What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart? I can't speak to that. I think people are generally good but whether that qualifies for being unprepared in heart, I will leave that judgment to Jesus.

• 3 years later...

Having the Holy Spirit living with in you, having that relationship with HIm, you do not want to grieve him.   I think  80% of believers don't know who the  Holy Spirit is.  He is Holy, sin separates us.  Like in the Gardern when Adam sin.  The Holy Spirit left.  Adam covered up his  sin and blame Eve. Eve blame the devil.