JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Faith without Repentance

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins? Why do people avoid repentance? What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart?

People who adopt the Christian faith without repenting never die to the old man in order to receive or walk in the new man. They fail to bring glory to God but rather do things that glorify themselves. Thus, they fail to bear fruit that is pleasing unto God. People avoid repentance because repentance requires denial, dying, and humility. It's not easy to face the fact that we are on the wrong path, kills our pride....this is humbling. I believe that we have at least 90%! Most Christians today are so conformed to the world that many can't see that they are in need of repentance. Because they have been conformed rather than transformed, they remain unprepared or "unfit" to be the servant the Lord needs.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repent of their known sins?

Why do people avoid repentance?

What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart?

In becoming a Christian we sincerely repent of our sins and place our trust in Jesus for our salvation. It is a turning from sin and at the same time a turning to God. The turning from sin is called repentance, and the turning to Christ is called faith. For us to truly become Christians both must occur together; resulting in a radical change within our hearts and us seeking a new direction for our lives. Unfortunately, today there is often no mention of the need for repentance, and we only hear

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repent of their known sins? Why do people avoid repentance? What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart?

Answer:Repentance is necessary in Christian Faith..Repentance in greek is metanoeo (met-an-o-eh'-o) v.which means ,to think differently or afterwards, i.e. reconsider (morally, feel compunction).It is necessary in One Christian Faith,to bring him into humbleness and humility,to change His mind that he cannot save himself and need a Saviour.

Some people avoid repentance,for their Heart was hardened,and failed to see the goodness of God,(Romans 2:4- Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance)

IT IS THE GOODNESS OF GOD THAT LEADS TO REPENTANCE,AND NOT FROM MANS EFFORT.IF HE IS UNREPENTANT,IT MEANS HE FAILS OR DID NOT RECOGNIZE THE GOODNESS OF GOD.

Repentance is not only centered on Man Sinfulness,but is focused on Mans perception or way of Thinking,for there is no Sin more bigger or serious than Mans perception that He can Save Himself through good works and penance,nullifying what Jesus has done in the cross.

Mans fallen Nature,or His OLD NATURE as he inherited from ADAM,make Him a sinner.Man is not a sinner because of the Act,or doing something that is called sin.

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins? Why do people avoid repentance? What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart?

How can anybody truly become a Christian without repenting of all their sins that helped nail Jesus the Lord to the cross? It is a humbling experience to learn that we don't have all the answers ... That we need to kneel before the cross and ask God's forgiveness and cleansing from all the things in our lives that are offensive to His holy name. If somebody claims to be a Christian without coming to the cross in repentance I would doubt the truth of their claim. We cannot come to God except through Christ claiming his sacrificial death on the cross as payment for the debt of sin we owe him ... There is no other way. Certainly the Apostles believed this ... some relevant verses from God's word --

"But your sins have separated you from your God." Isaiah 59:2.

"When the people heard this (Peter's sermon) they were cut to the heart and asked ... what shall we do? Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ ..." Acts 2:37-38

Paul said "... God's kindness leads to repentance. But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for the day of God's wrath when His righteous judgment will be revealed." Rom 2:5 - this verse says it all. I cannot guess what the percentage would be ...

God's blessings on you all - kiwidenis

The thing that happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins is that they will carry over with them their sins. They will only be Christians when they are in church and will convert back to their old selves when they leave.

The reason people avoid repentance is that they want to keep doing the things that are sinful. It makes the feel good.

I don

What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repent of their known sins? "Adopting the Christian faith" isn't the same thing as becoming a Christian. The initial repentance that precedes receiving Christ is only the beginning of a life of repentance. Repentance doesn't just happen once in a Christian's life but is an integral part of the walk of faith with Christ.

If people say they are Christians and do not repent they only put on an outward show of loving God, but inside they know they want to keep ding the old things, following the desires of the old self. This leads to living in bondage and not realizing it.

Why do people avoid repentance? I would say that people avoid repentance but more so a repented lifestyle. This is difficult to answer, through speculation I'd say because we enjoy sin. As you know there are different kinds of sins, to simplify that statement I'll just say sins of omission and sins of commission. When a person know that they have sinned they should repent, however Self a.k.a flesh becomes the deterrent. Unfortunately they will remain in that state until genuine conviction takes place. simply put they avoid repenting because they like what they are doing and or doesn't believe it is "that bad". They are not viewing sin the way that God does, thereby Satan smiles. Another unfortunate is that only one facet of GRACE is preach. Ministers in the church houses preach it as a get of jail card whereby many frustrate the grace of God. The messages are reinforced and reinforced to the point that in actuality it becomes sermons that fall on "itching ears", sermons that preach what the people want to hear vise preaching on what thus saith the Lord, instead of preaching on what God wanted preached to the people.

What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart?

The percentage of Christians that are not repentant is known only to God. Not being judgmental nor omniscience I suspect high. The perception / impression that there are many hypocrites in the church houses is not that Christians sin, it is because many live in sin. The onlooker rarely see the individuals turn from iniquities.

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins? Because repentance prepares us for God to work in us. Unless we have repented of everything, we are keeping a part of ourselves back, trying to hide it from God. That is not possible, we cannot hide from God, but leaving the sin there unrepented is an obstacle to having a full relationship with God.

Why do people avoid repentance? There are a number of reasons. Denial - that's not really a sin, or embarassment at having to face up, even as between ourselves and God, to things we have done. What it comes down to though is wanting to hang on to a part of our old selves and we cannot do that if we are to enjoy the pleasures of a full relationship with God.

What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart? I don't know and wouldn't hazard a guess. That is known only to God.

What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins? When people do not repent of their known sins, their conversion is an outward one only and they are actually rebelling against God with their disobedience. Their hearts (and therefore the conduct and attitudes) are not changed. They deceive themselves. They will not experience the fullness of being a child of God - they will continue to get stuck in the rut they have put themselves in. They will be condemned as sinners when the Lord returns. [/i]

Why do people avoid repentance? They want to continue living life their own way. They are enjoying their sins too much. The world and all its foolishness teaches us that if we live a righteous life, we are boring people who are missing out on life. Some people are even embarrassed to change their sinful ways because they do not wish to be laughed at by their friends. Others think they can sin now and repent when they are old and dying.

What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart? A very high percentage - unfortunately even those who call themselves leaders.

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repent of their known sins? Why do people avoid repentance? What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart?

What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repent of their known sins? They do not understand Christianity. They will wander aimlessly and they will not be traveling a straight line toward God.

Why do people avoid repentance? It is harder to follow the rules when there is so many material things around us and luring things that our senses will enjoy.

What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart? Since we are all sinners, we must continually ask for repentance. I do not know the percentage, but it has to be a fairly high percentage.

What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins?

When people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins they chose not to change their way of living, they do not recognize that their sinful nature has to be born again.

People avoid repentance because they want to continue in the same thinking and behaviors as before adopting the Christian faith.

I think the percentage of Christians today unrepentant, unprepared in heart is high. A lot of people think that it is alright to continue in sin, until they yield to the Spirit of God's conviction, then they repent and receive forgiveness.

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins?

When people adopt Christian faith w/o repentance all they get is a waste of their time,and God is not God at all in there life.

People avoid repentance for a number of reasons 1)being that they feel that if there sin is not hurting nobody there is no real reason for repentance 2)and they feel their sin is just to great and the guilt of it overwhelms them so much repentance is the farthest thing from their mind 3)also they enjoy the sin that they are committing and if they have to repent that means they have to give it up...These are just a few reasons why I think people avoid repentance.

I would imagine more than 50% but then again I'm only speculating.But there are a number of churches out there that are preaching "another gospel, and another jesus" only to attain numbers and not true believers.No offense intended, just stating an opinion.

Without repenting I can not really come near to God because God will not allow sin into heaven. If we do not repent, then God will not recognize us when we do come into his presence. We avoid repentance partly because we don't won't to change our ways and follow "The Way." If I were to guess, it would have to be about 50%.

A Christian who doesn't repent when adopting the Christian faith is still walking in sin, their own sins. Repentance is a big part of our faith and in accepting of the Lord jesus christ into our hearts. The Lord can't live where sin does. He say's that we are to be "Holy as He is Holy." That part requires us to repent of all our sins. People avoid repentance because I believe that they are afraid of what the Lord can really do with a clean life. Sometimes they don't want to leave behind their acts of sin. They like the sin enough that they don't want to let it go. Little do they know that repentance leads to much that God has for you and I as Christians. There are many out in the world who have not repented and have an "unprepared" heart. God will judge those accordingly. It's our responsibility to find them people and offer them the love of God and an oppertunity to repent and seek Jesus. Love God and hate sin I say. God loves the sinner but hates the sin.

Repentance is a prerequisite to salvation and adopting the Christian faith without it is to be lost.Christ died that we might be saved, His blood washed away our sins,without our acknowledgment and repentance of those sins the debt was paid for in vein.

No sin is to great for the price that was paid so if anyone is avoiding repentance for fear of reprisal or not being forgiven.Know this that Christ with His blood paid the price of ALL your sins none going unseen or unredeemed.

Without repentance there can be no forgiveness.

I believe that it is such that people have accepted many sinful acts / activities as acceptable because it is not renounced by the society they are accustomed to being in the company of. Many traditions and customs - even those opposed to the will and purpose of God for humanity - seem to have no affect - so many, when adopting a Christian faith yet participate in these activities and are unwilling to accept such as sin. . .

The percentage of Christians today who are unrepentant and unprepared in heart is a difficult question to answer. I would love to think that there are none - of course, I know better that to believe such. Whatever the percentage is I pray that they get a mine to repent of all know sin - and all sinful acts when they become known.

B)

What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins? They are not truely saved.You must repent and turn from your ways and became a new person in Christ Jesus.

Why do people avoid repentance? They don't want to admit they are sinners.

What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart? 80%

When we say we are Christian without repentance we first are lying to ourselves. Others also see the lies we are living and it hurts our main way of showing the love of Christ. We avoid repentance first because it means we have to admit to sins which we believe we can keep hidden or those sins which we enjoy and are afraid of letting go of. I believe many sins give to us a comfort and a feeling of self-worth, all of which are lies from our enemy which keep us from true communion with the Lord. It is very hard to look closely at yourself and see what sinful and dirty creatures we really are. It is hard to let go of the thinking that we can do this by ourselves. I have a hard enough time working on my own repentance but do know that one thing I have to continuously have to work on is judging of others. I believe a large percentage of believers are unrepentant...adding myself at times in this equation. True repentance is hard and without it our walk with God will be at risk.

One of our local gospel singing groups wrote a song "Sunday Morning Christian" that explains this exactly. It refers to people who talk the talk but do not walk the walk. One must acknowledge their misdeeds (sins)before being able to change their hearts and let Christ enter. People tend to be comfortable with what they are doing in this world and are afraid if they repent, they will have to go "out of their box" in order to be born again. I feel that probably 90% of people who call themselves Christians are unprepared in heart, not necessarily out of self will but because of fear of the unknown or lack of knowledge. The 10% of us who are true Christians have to educate through words and actions how wonderful it is to be a Christian.

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins?

Then they have not adopted the Christian faith. They are serving themselves.

To repent means we have sinned and need help from something greater than ourselves. Many people are in denial of their sins.

Probably 70+ percent of Christians unrepentant and unprepared in the heart. Why? because people idea of sin is not inline with God's idea of sin. We want to live our way instead of God's way.

True repentance is an essential part of adopting the Christian faith. In Acts, Peter's sermon "cut his hearers to the heart." When they asked him what they should do, he tells them to "repent and be baptized." (Acts 2:38). In other words, feeling sorry wasn't enough. The Greek term means a change of mind or heart. It is the change of determination or will, the resolve to turn away from sin toward God.

Paul describes the process in 2 Cor 7:9-11. He says that "Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret." True repentance means the change of mind and heart brought about by godly sorrow for sin. Repentance always leads to a change of life.

Turning to Christ without first turning away from sin gives a false sense of security. No doubt Satan rejoices when we think we can be Christians without turning away from sin and changing our lifestyle. We avoid repentance because sin is a hard habit to break. To some extent, almost all Christians have unrepented sin. The good news is that it's never too late. We have the power of the Holy Spirit working through His Word to help "root" out our hidden sin. When He does, we only need to confess it to God and determine to rely fully on His strength to be overcomers.

Couldn't we apply logic to our thinking about repenting: Repentance is a process, not a point in time; repent means change of heart. The process of changing our hearts can surely begin in many ways, one of which could be the acceptance of the gospel message, or maybe even agreeing to attend church with a friend. I know I have known people (including myself) who meant to go only so far, but who were then led further by the grace and power of God. Perhaps repentance begins with a simple changing of your heart to allow the possibility of the gospel. Just because it begins there, doesn't mean it ends there. Sometimes, "when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins" they get more than they bargained for and by God's grace and power, through the Spirit, are led to a more complete change of heart that then allows them to repent of their known sins. As to the percentage of Christians today who are unrepentant, unprepared in heart -- I think the only answer is 100% of us (but we are not 100% unrepentent) -- it's part of our living in an already/not yet world; we are saved but not yet sanctified. As Luther said we are "always sinners, always saved." The always sinners part is the part that has not yet changed.

God can not work in a non repentant heart the word of our Lord will only be on the surfact and not in the heart . the without faith there is no work..Some do not belief other like or love themself the way thing are .I do not know I am sure alot

People that adopt the Christian faith with out repentance will not have a true relationship with Christ. They will have an unregenerate heart and are basically saying, I don't need to be forgiven thus they do not need a savior. They will probably think they are saved but then they will go on through life being a slave to sin and wonder why they are not a new creature in Christ like the scriptures say. I truly believe there are a lot of Christian with unrepentant hearts, that are being deceived into thinking that they will be saved but, Jesus himself said that; Enter through the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and spacious and broad is the way that leads away to destruction, and many are those who are entering through it. But the gate is narrow (contracted by pressure) and the way is straitened and compressed that leads away to life, and few are those who find it. Beware of false prophets, who come to you dressed as sheep, but inside they are devouring wolves. You will fully recognize them by their fruits. Do people pick grapes from thorns, or figs from thistles?Even so, every healthy (sound) tree bears good fruit worthy of admiration], but the sickly (decaying, worthless) tree bears bad (worthless) fruit. A good (healthy) tree cannot bear bad (worthless) fruit, nor can a bad (diseased) tree bear excellent fruit [worthy of admiration]. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and cast into the fire. Therefore, you will fully know them by their fruits. Not everyone who says to Me, Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father Who is in heaven. Many will say to Me on that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name and driven out demons in Your name and done many mighty works in Your name?

I thnk that they do not fully grasp the gift they have received. Christ gave His life for us, we are to give our life for Christ. By this, we turn from sin and turn towards God. They live in a one-sided relationship and never experience the fullness of relationship with Christ Jesus. There are probably about 50% of Christians who are unrepentant and unprepared in heart....which does not make a straight path for the LORD.

They -- follow their own ways and desires in direct contradiction to the teachings and commands of the Lord Jesus Christ. They became very dangerous to the body of Christ; they got poison and ready to mislead the children of God. They are lake wolves but dress lake sheep

When people "adopt" the Christian faith without repenting of sins it's like pretending in a very shallow way to "be" something. It's like a casing with nothing in it! True Christianity is being in relationship with Jesus and in following His way and knowing what He did for us on the cross. If one cannot see or confess sin, then they don't need a Savior! When people say they are Christians just to be a part of an organization, the depth of relationship with Jesus is not there. The conviction of sin won't be there either. Nor the gratitude for forgiveness of sin.

People avoid repentance for different reasons. Some truly don't see sin. They don't know the truth, so they are not convicted. Others justify their actions. They fool themselves into saying (what they indeed are doing) is not sin or they are not participating in sin, or it's acceptable for whatever reason. Some have so much pride they can't admit they sin! Some fear retribution for sin if they would confess and don't know the love of God or understand Spiritual principles for freedom in confessing sin. The Bible says people perish for the lack of knowledge and lack of knowledge in Christ Jesus and His atoning sacrificial love keeps people from coming to the light and confessing their sins.

I don't know what percentage of Christians today are unrepentant but sadly I think many are. We have "feel good" churches all over who never mature believers and it seems churches today need "entertainment" packages to draw people. Some churches`seem to be afraid of convicting on sin or even teaching on anything more than milk. It's very important to choose a church who will give truth in love and will challenge believers to grow in maturity.