JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Faith without Repentance

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repent of their known sins? Why do people avoid repentance? What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart?

To be a truley honest Christian one needs to repent fully to our Lord and Saviour. Without repentance we are not being honest with ourselves or God. For we want and need to be one with Christ. For myself one reason to avoid repentance is not being totally honest and open with God. Or for whatever reason I have forgotten about past sin or sins. Could of been in denial of that particular sin. Or didnt realize it was considered a sin in the first place. I have no idea what percentage of todays Christians are unrepentant. For to me that would be judging them. And I leave that totally up to God to do. For I have enough to consider for myself. Let alone consider what others are doing or not doing. We must daily examine ourselves and repent whenever necessary. Thank you Lord that we are able to do just that. And know you have forgiven us.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happens? They are not true followers. They talk the talk, but they are so focused on their own self that they aren't following the will of Christ in their lives. Just as importantly, people who are seeking Jesus and seeing how these folks are living can get really messed-up messages about Jesus.

People avoid repentance because they either believe "I don't need to, I'm just fine," or they don't want to give up control. That would mean admitting they do wrong, and some folks can do no wrong in their own eyes.

I'd guess at least 60%.

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repent of their known sins? Why do people avoid repentance? What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart?

Sometimes the fast-pace of our lives makes it easy to gloss over our sins -- especially the more subtle, habitual sins so commonplace in our world -- envy, pride, selfishness, greed. As Christians, we may acknowledge and repent some sins but let ourselves off the hook for ones that are painful to acknowledge and difficult change. We may feel remorse yet continue to sin. Honestly, to stay awake to our transgressions requires prayer, meditation and mindfulness so we hear and feel the holy spirit in our hearts. It is easy to skate on the surface and tell ourselves that we are fine, good, Christians and in doing so, fail to hear, see and feel God's presence and guidance. Instead of doing God's will, we do our own wills. Repentance requires introspection, humility and letting go of the behaviors we think we need prop up our egos. Very few of us, if any, repent all of our sins and each of us needs to prepare our hearts continually. Lord, open the eyes of our hearts so we may understand your will and help us grow in wisdom so we truly repent the sins that separate us from your love.

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins? Why do people avoid repentance? What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart?

When people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their sins, In my opinion they do not understand that salvation, the

key to becomeing saved is repentance and that we need to repent to adit and own our sin before we can accept the free forgiveness

offered us by Jesus earned by his death and reserrection. I believe without repentance , even if they know and admit their sin

but refuse to repent of it and confess it to God or just do not realize the reason of repentance are just pawns sitting there

in the midst of a group of people crippled by the lack of knowledge or their refusal to repent. They are not saved till they

truely repent in their heart.

As for why people might avoid repentance, the reasons are either lack of understanding of the seriousness of sin, or the

avoidance of repentance due to pride, or the avoidance of the pain we experience in telling people that we were wrong or

hurtfull to them or denial or refusal to want to deal with a reality in their life they may be hiding even from their own

mind.

Lately because there are so many churches that preach a social feel good Gospel and avoid any language of the message that

sin is real heaven and hell are real and satan and evil are real and men are sinfull . So I would estimate approx 75%

are unrepentent and unprepared in heart.

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins? Why do people avoid repentance? What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart?

Faith without repentance does not become belief - rather the unrepented sins are not washed away by God's forgiveness and continue to arise in everyday life. There is little progress in the relationship with God. The gift of Jesus is not fully received. Repentance is true examination of the heart and mind - a cleaning that is required before faith can grow. Percentage of Christians today unrepentant - only God knows that and I am not to judge.

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins?

Christian beliefs are introduced to us by our parents/church etc ............if these beliefs remain at the mental level ...we do not experience their life changing power ,so we could continue to live as cultural christians rather than christians by conviction .....repentance is the first sign that we are making these beliefs our own ...and we are living a fuller life .

Why do people avoid repentance?

We do not see ourselves as we really are

Fear of change

Our hearts have not really fallen in love with our GOD , we do not really desire him more than what we currently have or possess

What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart?

most of us desire to change , we are at various stages of the journey , and The Holy Spirit does and will bring us all to this point eventually through our trials /circumtances .

People who adopt the Christian faith and don't repent are fake; they are mocking God and His Son. People avoid repenting because they don't want to "look weak" in the world's eyes. Little do they know Or maybe they do know, but don't care, that Jesus is watching everything you do. I think the percentage will be rather high between 50% and 75% of the Christians are unrepentant or unprepared in heart. There is a slow moving of the repentance in the world today. Everybody is so afraid of what everyone else thinks of them. "I may not look cool if I pray to Jesus." I don't care if I look cool or not, I pray in my car, in the grocery store and any where I can. I am not affraid of dying, I just don't want to die right now. I want to be able to take as many lost souls with me when my time is up. I still have a lot of work to do for My Lord. :)

I do not wish to judge others. I hope to look at myself and my own sins. I will never be perfect - I thank Jesus Christ as my Savior! I have His robe of Righteousness to count on. If I sin, it is surely some form of selfishness. If I fear or doubt or am troubled by others, I either can repent and return to forgiveness or suffer guilt and shame. I attend a church that includes communion; if I partake in that service I need to repent for my sins lest I bring judgment on myself. Luckily, I believe God knows I am not perfect and knows I will not be. That is not an excuse for my sin; I try each hour of each day to obey His laws and live in His Grace.

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins? Christ said in his ministry - "I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish".Luke 13:3. Without true repentence we can not come to a saving knowledlge of Jesus Christ. "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity". Matthew 7:22, 23. It's very important that we understand that to be a Christian and to adopt the Christian faith as it was mentioned in this forum are very different (Taz).

Why do people avoid repentance? People love darkness more than light. "And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not".John 1:5 & "And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil".John 3:19.

What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart? There are many I am sure. It's easy to get caught up in your own life and get cold to God.

They are unable to enter into the Kingdom, May have a head understanding but not a heart change. Repentance hurts, we must see our error and admit our need for the Savior. I don't know, but I should do a personal fruit check daily.

John the Baptist and Jesus both preached "Repent and believe" I think repentance is a gift from God, first of all. He opens our heart to our NEED for repentance, so that we may turn and believe. Repenting of sins brings us into the kingdom, readies us to walk with Jesus. I like what people have said about the daily need to turn our lives over to God, and the daily need to examine ourselves and repent if needed. Repenting of sins is also a strong weapon in spiritual battle, putting a stop to the enemy's accusations. It is a cleansing. The Lord does something when we repent. we turn from our sins, and He erases them. It is more than just feeling "sorry" for doing wrong; Judas was "sorry" when he saw the consequences of his actions. Our repenting brings about a genuine cleansing that renews our hearts and makes a right spirit within us (Ps 51) When we repent, we become really and truly NEW. We can't enter the Kingdom unless we ARE new. (John 3:16)

Are Christians today unrepentant? I think there is no way of really knowing this. However, the church in the US (and probably in all of Western Culture) seems to be pretty much ready to march forward without thinking much about sin. In other parts of the world, Christians are fiery and full of the Spirit and have power and strength. I believe the Holy Spirit is falling with anointing on the southern hemisphere right now: Africa and South America have strong Christian populations, and even in Asia where there is persecution, the church is growing. So, what percentage? Hmmm, maybe the percentage who are entangled in the thorns and weeds of worldly concerns (that would be North America, Europe) ???

I think the writings in the New Testament give many examples of repentance as integral to life in Christ.

-John the Baptist came as the fulfillment of Isaiah 40:3-5, which spoke of the king's highway being prepared in order for him to arrive....filling in the low areas, scraping down the high areas....making level ground. That may have been partly referring to a "level playing field" where Gentiles were accepted just as much as Jews. But in order for the Jews to accept the Gentiles, some serious heartwork had to happen! It wasn't an easy matter for the rejected Gentiles to accept a Jewish teacher either!

-Then Jesus tells the story about preparing the field, in Matthew 13.....the good ground. The ground that wasn't prepared just couldn't bear fruit. To prepare ground we break it up, take out the impeding, hard stones, add nutrients when necessary. He ends up by saying "he who has ears let him hear." And then goes on to explain that the hard hearted will not understand. It's like a person will remain deaf to the truth that matters - in spite of all the forms of religion - until the heart is broken and tender towards God. I think Jesus spoke in parables because he knew how tricky repentance could be and how easily the human heart becomes offended and clams up. He could pique curiosity with the stories, helping those who would to open up.

-The 10 virgins story tells of the lamps that had no oil.....I think the oil represents the Holy Spirit, which won't be in a vessel that doesn't want to be filled.

But it's a lifelong process. As long as we're alive weed seeds will blow in, old root stocks will resprout. Broken, prepared ground could be MORE susceptible to these problems. But with the Holy Spirit so close to us - the armor of God, the gifts of the Spirit, and other metaphors - in spite of what we feel like, we can have a warrior on our side that won't be vanquished. (Sorry for the mixed metaphors, just borrowing from the scripture's many examples!)

I think the examples of repentance go all the way through to the stories that Jesus told and the things he did for people. And I think that's what he was talking about with the picture of the wide and narrow ways.

Salvation is a gift. Many times people receive gifts only to forget about them. When we accept salvation through Jesus Christ we have accepted a gift. Then many times we forget about that gift. It is the Holy Spirit that convicts our hearts to repent. Salvation without conviction limits what God can do in our lives. God wants us to be with him. As one person said

I think it makes for a shallow Christian who becomes arrogant instead of humble. It seems to be our nature to avoid those unpleasant sides when we look at ourselves. We would rather think we are pretty good people. The longer I live as a Christian the more I am seeing in me some things I don't want there and the thing is I am really sad that those things are there. I don't want bad feelings or emotions in me.

I just watched God's Chisel on youtube. It almost had the tears flowing as I saw the shavings around me.

Please Lord don't stop the good work you have begun in me.

I can't answer for others. I only know there is a lot of work to be done right here.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

I think it is a couple of things. 1st is pride, 2nd is not wanting to be held accountable.

We can be our biggest problem. People in general do NOT want to held accountable for the problems the cause for others or for the problems they get themselves into.

I think thats one of the hardest things to do. Can we truely be Christains if we don't ask for forgiveness not just for ourselevs but others as well? We can't know the true power of God's love nor blessings if we do not ask for forgiveness. How can we when His word says that before He can bless us we need to ask for His forgiveness thats is saying we let go of ourselves and give our life over to our Lord Jesus.

Based on Scripture, it would seem to be impossible for someone to become a true believer without first repenting. As far as we know from the Gospels, Jesus' first public speaking began with repent before He said believe in the gospel (Mark 1:15). In Acts 2, Peter told those asking him "what shall we do?" to "Repent and be baptized...". So, if people adopt the Christian faith without repenting, that faith would not be genuine.

People avoid repentance because they do not really want to turn from the sin they love.

I would hesitate to guess a percentage but it is probably much higher in a country that does not persecute Christians.

If you don't understand how serious your sins are, you don't feel the need to repent or the need for grace.

Then you don't understand the need or Jesus and why He came to earth.

We avoid repentance because we don't like to say we were wrong and we don't want to change our habits.

I think that many Christians not completely repent.

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins?

Shalom everybody!!! I think it's really important to first to understand why we are in sin. Since the fall of mankind that came through Adam, the world has been in bondage to Satan, that enslaves the souls of Man. The strong hold that is upon Mankind is so strong we cannot free ourselves. Lucifer took 1/3 of the angels with him to the earth, and his kingdom and reign dwells in the world. Everyday we humans live in this pit,the worldy system. We have learned to take on the characteristics of Lucifer and our desires are always drivin in wickedness. We sin because the father of sin, Satan, occupies everything in the world and blinds our eyes to the Truth. Our battles are not against flesh and blood, but against powers and principalites who are very strong.

Through Jesus Christ, the mighty hand of God intervened upon humanity, in God's great and amazing mercy sent His Son to show us the way out of the pit of death, to a life of milk and honey. How can a person living in the pit ever believe in God's amazing promises and benefits when they have been living and blinded in darkness since the day they were born? They know not the truth, only lies from the father of satan. We must turn away (repentance) from satan's ways and thoughts or else die in our sins, that's the reality of our situation.

The Truth through Jesus Christ is being offered to all Mankind, it's a free gift to anyone who is willing to believe in the Truth. There is only one way to receive Christ Truth and that is through Faith. Without Faith we can not please God or even enter into His resting place and peace. Faith takes us towards repentance, allowing one's mind and will to go towards the life that's in Christ, through God's Holy Spirit.

Before we can even be adopted into the Christian faith, one needs to make a decision, a choice, who are they going to believe and serve? The Words of Christ that comes from the Father, or to continue to live in the reality of the father of lies. Repentance is turning away from the old thought of being, of doubt, wickedness, selfishness, etc. and embracing the Truth of the reality of God that's in Jesus Christ which is through Faith. The reason why we have a hard time of repenting of our former life is because we don't really believe in Christ, we hold on to a concept, instead of believing in the reality of His message. If we desire victory, we must be willing to hear the good news and as we hear the good news, our faith in Him grows, but it won't grow if we are unwilling to submit our wills to hear the Truth and this takes us to turn away from the former things and lies. If we believed in Jesus we would follow Him and know the Truth and the Truth will set us free. In order to have faith in Christ, we must say goodbye to our old ways of thinking.If we are unwilling to repent from our former way of thinking and being, we will not experience the fullness that's in Christ, the abundant life. Sin and God do not go together, we must decide, we can't serve 2 masters.

2.Why do people avoid repentance? Because they know not the Truth,they don't fully believe yet, they are still blinded by the darkness and have not accepted the message of Light. They would rather hold on to the lies, what they have known since the day they came into this world, instead of turning towards something that will give them the true life that's in God. The darkness can not comprehend the Light, it's all foolishness.

3.What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart?

I think there's 80% unrepentant christians today, because the full message of Christ is not being taught, the Word is being milked down, changed, and many people are becoming confused about the faith. Jesus came with Grace and Truth and it's the Truth that is being taken out of the gospel. It's not warm and fuzzy, it's a sword piercing in your soul. This huge and amazing gift God desires for us to recieve is more amazing than anything we could ever imagine, but we have to want it, and ask for it. Jesus talks about asking for the Holy Spirit, and the Father would give Him to whoever would ask. If you are asking for the Holy Spirit, you will be changed, but again people don't really want to change for the better, they want a quick fix or something, but not the real deal, a transformed heart.

God bless and shalom, Lory

It is the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of truth who convicts us of our Sins. And as soon as we repent of those sins we become genuinely born again and the Holy Spirit also bears witness with our spirit that we are sons of God. This is the way of salvation. Adopting a christian Faith without repentance of known sins produces a prodigal son.

People avoid repentance because they dont want to leave their old ways of life. Jesus said to is disciples: if you continue in my word, then you are my disciple indeed and you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.

Only God knows the percentage of unrepentant christians these days. But we know that God is not interested in the death of a sinner but that all should come to the saving knowledge of His dear son Jesus christ. Amen.

When we accept the Christian message without repentance we simply join the larger Christian community. I'm sure we all take our time in repenting fully. Why? Because we can only proceed as the Holy Spirit directs and enables. In many cases we aren't ready to repent until we're fully convinced and convicted of our need to do so. Things happen on God's schedule, not ours. Sanctification in most of us is a gradual process. In some cases God will bring about an instant change of heart, usually because He has an urgent purpose for us, as in Paul's circumstances. For most of us, though, we come under conviction via hearing sermons, reading devotionals like this one, and by reading Christian books and such. Once we're convicted by the Holy Spirit in our hearts, repentance usually follows. Everything happens in its appointed time. You can SAY the words: I repent. But unless you mean them with all your heart you're just going through the motions. We should pray to God to ask Him to reveal areas in our lives where we're going the wrong way or have the wrong ideas and repent of those wrong directions as the Spirit gives us understanding. This is an ongoing thing. Every day we form thoughts and ideas contrary to God's will. We can rely to an extent on our conscience, since we have the Spirit dwelling in us, but we still need to periodically ask God to show us where we're going wrong.

What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repent of their known sins?

Their faith is dead (James 2:26), the Holy Spirit will not abide in them, and they will not inherit the Kingdom of God (Galatian 5:21)

Why do people avoid repentance?

Because they more love this world or themselves than God

What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart?

They are more than 50%, they are more than Christians who have repentant heart

I have a friend who grow up in a Christian family, she knew all the songs, all the Bible verses, she knew the walk and the talk. She thought at 15 that she was saved. She went to Church and took part in teaching Sunday School, 20 years later, while she was teaching, she felt the Lord togging at heart. That was when she realized, she was just going through the motions. She has given her heart to God and repented of her sins and God is using her mightly. She is now unfire for God. You can go, through the motions, but without repenting, that is all it is, motions. I believe people avoid repentance, because, they don't want to think of themselves as sinners. Or maybe they like being in the dark, they can't see their sins in the dark, so they refuse to come into the light of Jesus. They love the world and Holy Spirit does not abide in them.

I would think the percentage of unrepented Christians would be high. There are far to many Churchs preaching that God wants you to be rich or God wants you to feel good. Instead of preaching the message that we are sinner and need to get our hearts right with God and repent of our sins. God doesn't want anyone to go to hell, He loves us and wants us to love Him, and to be with Him for eternity. We need to pray for all to come to the full knowledge of Jesus.

Q/ WHAPPENS WHEN PEOPLE ADOPT THE CHRISTIN FAITH WITHOUT REPENTING OF THEIR KNOWN SINS?

1) Simple obedience is the key to reconciliation with God...nowaday..the call to salvation is a simple acknowledgement of for the need of Jesus and that one is a sinner in all aspects with Jesus Christ. The sfirst repentance is the turning away from dependence on self and world to Jesus as the sole unique way to God. This si the first know sin that comes to light .. need to return to total dependence on and relationship with God

Q/WHY DO PEOPLE AVOID REPENTANCE/

2) Obedience is the key in the Christian faith..so one need to humble oneself to the one of greater authority and trust that in submission it is for the goodness of oneself ..only such attitude will bring about repentance

Q/ WHAT PERCENTAGE OF CHRISTIANS TODAY DO YOU THINK ARE UNREPENTANT UNPREPARED IN HEART?

Who can read the heart of man? Can one's repentance be numerally counted and graded? For every conviction of sin..that there will need to be repentance..we are not there yet? it is not a one time count..still on the road to daily repentance and going from glory to glory..until the most glorious end.

First of all to not repent is to disobey God. He will keep bringing you back to that til you do repent. For that reason, Christians who have accepted Jesus as Savior and don't repent don't experience any depth in their relationship with Jesus. As to percentage, I don't know but suspect is is rather large.