JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. A Broken and Contrite Spirit

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does it mean to have a broken heart and spirit?

To get humbly on our knees and ask the Holy Spirit to show us all our sins, as these sins are shown to us they must be confessed with a grieving spirit. This grief comes from knowing how the sin separates us from God and how it grieves his heart. Some of the main ingredients of repentance is brokenness and grief.

Why is this essential in the prayer for pardon? In what sense is this a "sacrifice"?

If we are not pardoned we spend eternity in hell. Our pardon cost Jesus Christ our Lord his death on the cross. What a sacrifice.

Why do we tend to resist a "broken and contrite heart" in ourselves?

Satan tells us that we don

Our hearts should break with sorrow because of our sin.

This is essential, because without it, we're not truly sorry for our sins.

That's what makes it a true sacrifice...the sorrow actually causes pain.

I'm not sure why we resist this. Perhaps we think it'll make us appear weak? (But remember...when we're weak, THEN we are strong!) I would guess that part of it could be an attempt to avoid pain.

A broken and contrite heart represents or is an indication of how serious the person is. It is in our brokenness we really come to God with nothing but Faith. This a sittuation where all you have is the Faith you have in God; and that alone will God act upon.

God see's through our hearts and he knows when you are broken in heart. He Knows how to mend your brokeness.

Thank you Halleluiah Jesus..Thank you Holy Spirit

Amen

To realize the deplorable condition of our souls - - our need of God and our dependence on Him. To realize that we are nothing without Him - then He can fill us with His presence.

Why is this essential in the prayer for pardon? In what sense is this a "sacrifice"?

Because we must realize our brokenness and go to God to ask for Him to pardon us - which He did through His Son's sacrifice on the cross. It could be considered a sacrifice - as we die to our flesh - (the sinful part as to oposition to God and disposition to sin).

Because we don't like change and we like being in control. The warfar is that the devil wishes us to think that we can retain a portion of our lives and only give Christ part of it. The world also tells us that we don't have to be all that "religious" we can mold our god into any image we want - God is love - - God give us everything, the trend today is to ignore the repent and change.

To have a broken heart and spirit over sin means that I have realized that my wickedness has injured my relationship with God and that must be restored. When I have hurt someone I love with an offense, it does break my heart. I want to do whatever is required to make it right between us again. The most powerful thing in today

Q4. What does it mean to have a broken heart and spirit? Why is this essential in the prayer for pardon? In what sense is this a "sacrifice"? Why do we tend to resist a "broken and contrite heart" in ourselves?

Broken heart and spirit means crushed and heart broken. Utterly broken down in the heart and mind. Absolutely no will power to do anything. Final acceptance of the fact that he has broken the relationship between himself and God. It is this state of mind that is essential for a prayer of pardon. Pardon is granted when the seeker is genuine. God knows the mind and seeks genuine state of the mind and spirit of the individual. From a personal point of view this can be termed as a sacrifice as it involves dying to self. Being crushed and broken hearted is dying to self and saying Lord, I am undone. Please help me.

The 'SELF' that is there in us refuses to be crushed and broken. It always want self gratification. We were born with a rebellious attitutde, questioning the credentials of God Himself. The very first question that Satan posed was 'did God said so'? We tend to question everything pertaining to God's views. It is good to question and seek clarifications but not necessarily things pertaining to God as the Psalmist says, 'my thoughts are not your thoughts, they are higher than the sky....' We cannot comprehend God with our human minds. We should always condemn this 'SELF' and let God handle our things in His way and time.

Q4. What does it mean to have a broken heart and spirit?

sincere awareness and acknowledgement that we have sinned before God.

Why is this essential in the prayer for pardon?

unless we are sincere in our prayer for pardon, God cannot and will not give forgiveness for that sin.

In what sense is this a "sacrifice"?

the sacrifice here is knowing your sin, confessing it to God and asking forgiveness, and then to not repeat the same sin again.

because we are human, our very nature is sinful. We fail to realize the full extent of our separation from God. Our faith is still not at the place where we have gone beyond and "area of unbelief".

i think of it in 2 ways

A-you know that you've sinned and are so sorry that you've hurt GOD's feelings that your own

heart hurts.

B-when you think that there's no solution to your problem (even after prayer) because sometimes

our time isn't always GOD's time. or our way isn't always GOD's way.

A- to show GOD that you're thinking of him and not yourself.

B-to show that you're really hurting yet you haven't given upon him.

A & B-pride is a large factor in people. in doing a prayer for pardon shows GOD that you have made a

mistake and are asking him for forgiveness. this humbles you. to most that is a sacrifice.

Being truly sorry and turning away from sin. Falling on our face and crying out to God for forgiveness for sinning against Him. Having a real genuine desire to change and avoiding sin at all costs.

We must restore our relationship with God. Sometimes even giving up a meal (sacrifice) or something else we enjoy to spend time with Him. We will be better for it.

We are ashamed and afraid that we will be found out by other people and despised by God because of what we did. God is quick to forgive and wants nothing more than for our relationship to be restored. And people, well they have all sinned also. But by the Grace and Mercy of God the Father we are made whole again. Praise be to God!!!!

When I resist a broken and contrite heart it is simply because I want. And I want because I do not trust. I do not trust because I have taken my eyes off God's promise, that promise is not for the things of the world (because He is not of the world).

Some say we are born to live and we live to die. Jesus says, "You are born to die and you die to live." Paul gives a fairly good example of what Jesus Is talking about. 2 Corinthians 6:4 but as servants of God we have commended ourselves in every way: through great endurance, in afflictions, hardships, calamities, 5 beatings, imprisonments, riots, labors, sleepless nights, hunger; 6 by purity, knowledge, patience, kindness, holiness of spirit, genuine love, 7 truthful speech, and the power of God; with the weapons of righteousness for the right hand and for the left; 8 in honor and dishonor, in ill repute and good repute. We are treated as impostors, and yet are true; 9 as unknown, and yet are well known; as dying, and see

there usta be a song called "try a little tenderness"..that's what i thot of..in an impersonal world

when no one seems to care...it helps to find some one sympathetic..a nurturer..bec i am that way...i'm often looked upon as a "good listener"...and tend to be available...not to be so full of my own self, that i don't have room fr the cares and prayers of others...Because He cares for me...and you!

ed

Q4. What does it mean to have a broken heart and spirit? Why is this essential in the prayer for pardon? In what sense is this a "sacrifice"? Why do we tend to resist a "broken and contrite heart" in ourselves?

When we are "broken" in heart and spirit, we realize our sinful nature, and it breaks our heart that we have sinned--again--against our loving Lord and Master! If it doesn't break our hearts, then we are in big trouble! That would mean that we are still making excuses for our sin, rather than admitting it and asking forgiveness! :(

If we can not, or do not, admit this sin is us sinning, then we cannot be forgiven. As long as we can't see our sin, we fool ourselves that we are okay with God. Therefore, we would not "debase" ourselves by confessing it.

It is hard to admit we have sinned again. How many times does that make?? :huh:

The sacrifice that the Lord requires is "a broken and a contrite spirit". Psalm 51: 17 We know that we have sinned, but we hate to admit that! Stupid! God already knows our sinning. But we try everything to avoid having to show up before Him again, covered with the filth of our sins. Yes, this can seem like a sacrifice when we think better of ourselves than we have any right to! <_<

A broken and contrite heart represents or is an indication of how serious the person is. It is in our brokenness we really come to God with nothing but Faith. This a sittuation where all you have is the Faith you have in God; and that alone will God act upon.

God see's through our hearts and he knows when you are broken in heart. He Knows how to mend your brokeness.

Thank you Halleluiah Jesus..Thank you Holy Spirit

Amen

A contrite heart is one that has been convicted by the Holy Spirit, and the sins cause a breaking down of self will and deceit inside the heart so we can realize our great NEED to be forgiven and saved from our selfishness. I am not so sure my own heart is capable of His truth in its wholeness, and feel God allows me to suffer through sinfulness to open up my mind to the reality of my own sinfulness. Humans tend to feel OK about their own sins, when they are not in deep temptation...and just let their sins slide into thoughts of comparison with others they know, and think..."I am just as good as the next person" and excuse their own sinfulness of attitude as well as actions. Our tendency towards self righteousness allows us to be OK with our sins, if we think ..." I am not hurting anyone else" so it is OK for me . My own broken and contrite heart feels the pain of my own horrible sinfulness and is deeply repentant, even when I do not want to change. The prayer "make clean my heart and cleanse my mind as well" is needed and the Lord will help us do our part in this process. In faith and repose on His Goodness and love for us, helps us keep from self condemnation.

To have a broken heart or spirit means that the burden and guilt of our sin is so intense that it literally feels as though your heart is crushed or broken.

God wants us to be close to him but until our hearts are filled with the sorrow of our sin, we are not ready for forgiveness. We can never please God if our heart attitude is not right.

The contrite heart is a sign of true repentance and that is a "sacrifice" acceptable to God.

To have a broken heart is a heart that knows that sin has entered into you again. When a heart is broken we think of a relationship of the loss of a child or husband the pain the agony and hurt that we think will never end. The pain is so much you fear you will not be able to bare it and go on. The broken spirit is I feel even worse for many don't recover once the spirit is broken I think of that as having seen some on so put down in life that their spirit to lift themselves back up again is impossible. These kind of hurts many never recover from in the walk of life but the walk with God if we put our faith and trust in him he will restore us. It hurts him to see us broken hearted and he himself is hurt by our sins and our spirit is broken because we no longer can feel his presence, until we truly repent and call on him to forgive us. :(

How could we or anyone be forgiven if we never ask? God wants an intimate relationship with his children as we do with ours. If my child hurts me I want them to come and talk to me and tell me they are sorry for the pain they have caused me. God is our Father we owe him this to become back to the closeness we have with him in our walk with God we have to be pardoned of our sins. :huh:

This is a sacrifice because we have to be able to lay all our sins at the foot of the cross once again. I thought that once I was forgiven I would not have to do this again. It is something that we repeat all during our life. It is telling him our deepest painful fears and hurts and that we truly need forgiveness again. Lord help us to be willing to do this sacrifice daily as Paul said he had to put the flesh down daily and so must we as long as we live this will be a fight for the Spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. We must continue to be a living sacrifice before God in order to stay in his will. :mellow:

Pride and rebellion is the only reason I can give that we do not want to ask forgiveness of God. Both of which we know is sin. :(

What does it mean to have a broken heart and spirit? Why is this essential in the prayer for pardon? In what sense is this a "sacrifice"? Why do we tend to resist a "broken and contrite heart" in ourselves?

It means to have a full understanding of our sin and how it has hurt our Lord and to be devastated with sorrow that we have caused pain to the one we love so deeply and has loved us beyond all comprehension.

It is a sacrifice because it requires the "killing" of ourselves, our pride and laying ourselves open before the Lord. This attitude is essential because it only then we are totally open before the Lord, no games, just bald faced honest openess. We tend to resist this because it requires us to get down from the throne we place ourselves on, laying down of our pride, our arrogance. It is embarrassing and it hurts and most of all it is humbling. We generally don't like to be humbled.

Lesson 4 Q 4

It means we become aware of God's divine presence and our hearts become broken because of our sins, making us want more than anything forgiveness. We become aware that our sins hurt God who loves us and by our sins we are injuring His reputation. We become broken to the extent of sorrow.

Because until we become aware of how much this hurts God and we bring Him down with our sins we will not pray the prayer for pardon. We will only have religion and not a geninue relationship with our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

We have to give up following what we want to do ourselves and be obedient to God, which we find hard to do, because we like to be in control. We have to "sacrifice" self.

Pride! We do not want anyone to see or think we are not perfect and we do not want to admit it to ourselves.

To have a broken heart and spirit is to recognize the seriousness of and consequences of our sins and recognize the price that Jesus paid to set us free! We need to acknowledge that we have hurt and offended God with our actions and repent. This is a sacrifice in a sense because we have to face our shortcomings and selfishness and to rely on God's amazing mercy and grace. We tend to want to avoid unpleasant things such as acknowledging our errors and the ugliness of our sin, and have to swallow our pride in order to walk in God's forgiveness. Thank you God for your unending love and for your patience!

To have a broken heart means to have a empty cold heart. It means that there is no love and joy present inside of an empty heart. An broken heart has no compassion and it is rootless and contrite. It is full of sadness and sorrow.

A broken spirit is a empty capsule. It has no relationship with God and has no reason to believe in repentence. A broken spirit cries out for MERCY but the broken heart cannot hear it's cries because of it's emptiness and lack of compassion.

As with any relationship, when we do someone wrong it is important to ask for forgiveness, if we are planning to continue that relationship. It is important to pray for pardon to humble ourselves before God because of our sins to let him know the importance of our relationship with him. Important because we know we are sinners and we plan to do everything to resist sin because of our love for God.

It's funny because I notice how people often hid things from their pastors but often forget that God see's everything and they were committing these sins before him, but would hide them from their pastors and other Christians not to be exposed shamed and embarrassed. I always found that funny, :D God see's all but we don't have to account our actions to him, but when it came down to man we would hide in shame :ph34r: of our trangressions (that we committed in front of God) so no one knew. How can a Christian forget that God see's all and man can not sustain you, only God can do that?

One of the ultimate sacrifices is to render ourselves onto the Lord.

We resist a broken and contrite heart because we don't want to feel that we are sinners. We want to believe that what we do here on this earth is right and we shouldn't have to answer to anyone for it. Believe it or not a lot of folks believe that God put us in charge of this earth and we have the right to do whatever we feel we desire. We forget about God until Sunday when it's time for church, from which we worship a few hours making believe that we are all holy returning to our regular lives of sin from Monday thru Saturday. We are selfish people who believe that we can be forgiven at a drop of a hat for our sins. Which leads to a broken and contrite heart because it is an empty heart. A heart that has nothing to feel it with joy and love.

Q4. What does it mean to have a broken heart and spirit? Being truly sorry and repentful for the sins we have comitted. Really serious and aware that you have sinned against God.

Why is this essential in the prayer for pardon? Until our hearts break with sorrow at our sin, we are not quite ready for forgiveness.

In what sense is this a "sacrifice"? Because this is the highest sacrifice anyone can offer in our human form. And because God sees right through the heart he would know when the the is really broken and that you are trully repentful..

Why do we tend to resist a "broken and contrite heart" in ourselves? In most cases we are too busy worrying about our sins rather than being sorry because we have severed our relationship with God. We have Injured his reputation with our sins.

Godly sorrow worketh repentance.

There is a connection with God as we allow our selves to be broken before God. He resisteth the proud and gives grace to the humble,If we who are called by his name will humble our selves and pray ,repent and turn from our wicked ways he will heal our land.

Many times I have had to combat pride in order to break into a truley contrite heart.

Pride would say things like come on you big cry baby you are just feeling sorry for yourself.

Yet when overcome a freshness and renewal occured in my heart.

David's heart was broken when he understood clearly that he had broken faith with God who had put so much faith in him. therefore the relationship they had was gone. Somehow he had to make amends and try to win restoration of that relationship that was essential to him, and imperative in his llife, actually meant more to him that anything in this world including his new wife and baby. Life would be meaningless without this relationship he was used to enjoying with his Creator. What could he do but demonstrate by his words and actions how important it was to him that this relationship be restored? Without it his llife would cease to have meaning and would be unbearable. The fault was his and his alone, and the work of repenting was up to him. None could do it for him. His wrongdoing rode very heavily on his heart and could cost him everything. He was witness to the fact that King Saul had the Lord's Spirit removed from him, and the madness that ensued. There was nothing he could do. It (his sin) could not be undone. The trust between him and God had gone. He had done what he knew perfectly well was offensive to his beloved Yahweh. He had no peace until the matter was mended.

Realisation and acknowledgment of the part we play in our relationships with God and others is essential. Only Truth in relationships can build them strongly.

This is a sacrifice because in this relationship that it possible to have with our Father in Heaven, we have to put our all on the altar just as he did (He put Jesus on the altar as his commitment to us). There is no half measure possible. However it is a sacrifice that anyone who understands God in His great love is only too keen to make. It is the pearl without price for which we will sell everything to acquire. Intimacy with God (and all the miracles that that involves) is the great pearl of the earth and nothing compares to it.

Pride may create resistance in us, or ignorance. Either we do not want to acknowledge another as Lord and King, or we are in great ignorance of the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.