JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Abraham and Melchizedek

Pastor Ralph

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They both agreed and both believed that He was the Only Supreme Sovereign, and that He was alone in this status. His name represented the loftiness of this position, that He was/is unequal in Supremacy. That He alone is unchallenged for Sovereignty over creation. If there are any other god's they all recognize Him as God of god's. The abrupt appearance to Abraham as Supreme Lord and of Melchizedek as the Priest of that Lord sealed the debate about Lordship.

This was originally written on January 29, 2006, before the hacker intervened...

This is Abba's Child!! The first thing that I noticed is that Abram is blessed by God Most High! I want this to be said of me all the days of my life!!

Secondly, I love this Title of God, "The God Most High;" for He is higher than all my problems; for He sits in Majesty and "His Eyes go to and fro over all the earth." Nothing escapes His view, and I know that I know, that He controls the whole earth; that gives me great peace!

The God Most High is The Creator of the heaven's and the earth, and the earth is His footstool!

How encouraging in these times of trial; that The Most High delivers "our enemies into our hands!" He delivers my dear family and all those whom I love and pray for! He is The Great God of my prayers!!

Abram understood the principle of the tithe, and gave to The God Most High out of the bountiful blessings that were given to him from The LORD, his Provider; Jehovah-jireh.

"Abram's response to the king of Sodom likewise uses The Name of The God Most High;" for he raised his hand to The God Most High, and took an oath; for no man would be able to say that he made Abram rich; his provisions came from The Hands of "The God Most High."

O, that we would always remember that "The God Most High" is our Source! Blessed be His Most Holy Name, Amen!!

I think that Abram believed in a creator of all things and was devoted to doing good

I believe that he had the knowledge of the kings who were good and he gave a tighe to Melchizedek for that reason. From scripture I believe that Melchizedek was a priest king and may have been Jesus in the flesh. He also relied on the Lord Most High he went to him in prayer in solidtary places like the garden. Jesus was our sacrifice, Melchizedek accepted a scrifice from Abram. From Abram we know that he talked to God when he had something troubling him and that the Lord talk to letting him know what to do and what He (GOD) was going to do. This alone gave him reason to want show his love and obedience by giving a tighe and refusimg to let anyone else say that they had made him rich.

Both Abraham and Melchizedek understood that others around them worshipped other gods; however they both believed that 'El 'Elyon was THE God--the ONLY God--and the Most High God, worthy of exaltation. God is the Creater and Posessor of all of heaven and Earth; EVERYTHING in Heaven and Earth is both the creation of God as well as the possession of God.

Q1. (Genesis 14:19, 20, 22) What did Abraham and Melchizedek seem to believe in common about God Most High?

Both Abraham and Melchizedek acknowledged God as the "Creator of heaven and earth," and as "God Most High."

Both Abraham and Melchizedek believe in common

1 . God is creator of everything on earth that we see and that we don't see

2. God controlls what goes on on the earth he delivers them from their enemies and controlls

riches that they recieve and their crops and cattle if they live and die for that was thier

riches and their crops and all.

3. God was holy above all to be adored , praised, and obeyed

4. healer and deliver... he controlls if they are well or sice , if they win or loose delivers

from sickness and enemies.

• 2 weeks later...

The theme to this text appears to be that both are acknowledging that the Most High God is the Creator of all heaven and earth and that there is none like Him. That He is above all others and that He protects, He supplies, and that only death belongs to Him. That no man, no circumstance and no other god can take life away that every living thing in heaven on earth is in His hands. This is also what Jesus was speaking of to the disciples when He was teaching them to pray because just like Abraham they were coming from a back ground of not understanding the Most High God their creator and to them Abraham was their father the father of many nations they had a relationship with him and not the Most High God the one to whom life belongs. Its something to think about here Abram only knew about other gods and the disciples knew more of Abraham as a father then their Heavenly Father. All had to have a name change in order to disconnect them from their past and history of their earthly family and took on the name their Creator have given them because they now belonged to the Heavenly family. We learn His names and we get a new name like Peter did and did you notice that Melchizedek brought out bread and wine to Abraham? Communion they both shared this is my body (Jesus) and this is my blood (Jesus) the coming King, the Most High Priest so Abraham communed with God and this is where he had to of gotten revelation of Jesus the Son of the Most High God. So much to say on this....

From these particular verses, it seems what Abraham and Melchizedek have in common is #1 a belief that God Most High is the creator of everything. And #2, God Most High is responsible for Abraham's victory over his enemy. In other words, God Most High cares about our individual lives & intervenes on our behalf. Only God Most High deserves the honor & glory for things we seemingly accomplish.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Q1. (Genesis 14:19, 20, 22) What did Abraham and Melchizedek seem to believe in common about God Most High?

Abraham and Melchizedek believed :

an inward fellowship with God as a right way of life, as the highest satisfaction of a man's mind,

as access and approach to God, in common about God Most High.

Abram and Melchizedek both believed that God Most High is the Possessor of heaven and earth, the true Victor and Bestower of blessing, and is worthy of their honor and loyalty. I say Amen!

The NKJV says "Possessor" in place of "Creator" in this passage. I don't know the original Hebrew word that is used here, but it's an interesting difference! Both these words are descriptive of His standing as Sovereign though!

• 5 weeks later...

In a time when people believed in so many gods, Abram and Melchizedek proclaim the existence of only One God, the one who created heaven and earth, and who has all the power over any situation, like that of the war they had just lived. Today, there still are many modern gods, such as money, fame, social status, a lover, etc., but there is only one God, the true God, the Most High God, also referred to as The Lord in the passage.

• 2 weeks later...

Both Abram & Melchizedek acknowledge God as the Most High God. For Him to be most high there must be other gods acknowledged. As has been mentioned on this forum different people have different gods. They may or may not be spiritual forces but Abram & Melchizedek demonstrate respect to other people by acknowledging the impact of these other gods on their lives. They don't pull their punches though, El Elyon is above all other Gods. I think that HisSong's observation describes exactly how far above other gods He is:

The NKJV says "Possessor" in place of "Creator" in this passage. I don't know the original Hebrew word that is used here, but it's an interesting difference! Both these words are descriptive of His standing as Sovereign though!

I don't know the original word either but Green's Literal Translation also uses 'Posessor'. For God to be Posessor of Heaven and Earth means that not only is He more powerful than other Gods, He owns them and is in control of them.