JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Abraham and Melchizedek

Pastor Ralph

Q1. (Genesis 14:19, 20, 22) What did Abraham and Melchizedek seem to believe in common about God Most High?

I think that both men believed in El Elyon, Most High God and creator of heaven and earth. also that he was personally involved in their lives, interceding at will for His good pleasure towards those who would believe in Him. They knew this. That the only response to make was praise and worship to the God that was above all gods.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They both agreed and both believed that He was the Only Supreme Sovereign, and that He was alone in this status. His name represented the loftiness of this position, that He was/is unequal in Supremacy. That He alone is unchallenged for Sovereignty over creation. If there are any other god's they all recognize Him as God of god's. The abrupt appearance to Abraham as Supreme Lord and of Melchizedek as the Priest of that Lord sealed the debate about Lordship.

I am a new member. I agree with the above. In addition, I would think that Abraham was so blessed to come into contact with another person who believed in El Elyon!! Just as we do when we meet another believer.

Also, Abraham was twice blessed by this meeting in that Melchizedek was the Priest of the Most High! Another one chosen by God to serve Him in a powerful way!

I admire Abraham's strength in standing on what God had told him...and his gracious reply to Mel. regarding the "loot". How wonderfully the Lord had worked in Abraham's life to rid him of greed....that "work" to rid Ab. of greed came because Abraham "believed God" and therefore was obedient. That great step toward God of obedience brings greater faith!!

So....they had in common a great love for El Elyon, an honor above their own selves for El Elyon, an allegiance to serve and obey El Elyon, a participation in the blessings of El Elyon. What a great meeting that was!!!

Sandra K

Q1. (Genesis 14:19, 20, 22) What did Abraham and Melchizedek seem to believe in common about God Most High?

It seems that both believed that he is the creator over everything. They also know that nothing is possible without approval from God Most High. Also that everything belongs to God Most High, all power is in his hands.

• 1 month later...

Both Abraham and Melchizedek are having awareness in their hearts that God Most High is the creator of heaven and earth.

They believe it and proclaim it.

Both Abraham and Melchizedek are having awareness in their hearts that God Most High is the creator of heaven and earth.

They believe it and proclaim it.

• 1 month later...

Both Abram (before God changed his name to Abraham) and Melchizedek, King of Salem - King of Peace, both believed in The God Most High "EL ELYON", the possessor of heaven and earth.

Abram is blessed by Melchizedek, who was a high priest of the Most High, "EL ELYON", after providing him with bread and wine (which could be interpreter and the Body and Blood of Christ).

Melchizedek acknowledged Abram to belong to the God Most High, possessor of heaven and earth.

• 1 month later...

I think that they, both Melchizedek and Abraham, agreed that there is one God whose name at this time is Most High, even though we don't get any understanding on who Melchizedek is, we see that Abraham received his blessing. Further we can see agree that either Abraham knew who he was or expected see him because he gave one tenth of all he had to this Priest of the Most High.

My first post did not work! Anyway

From the name we can see that both Abraham and Melchizedek both recognized the God of Abraham as being above all other gods. the only real God. We can imagine those polythesis worshipers may have even taken it as an insult when the name El Elyon was used in their present.

Abraham goes even further in his description when he said to the king of Sodom "'I have raised my hand to the LORD, God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth, and have taken an oath that I will accept nothing belonging to you, not even a thread or the thong of a sandal, so that you will never be able to say, "I made Abram rich." This set his Abraham's standard above the things that could be obtained from the world. And it also said my God is the creator of all things and he is sufficient for my needs.

Just started with JH and this particular bible study, and already have learnt a lot just by reading this one section and studying more carefully to answer this first question.

From the NKJV Study Bible:

'The phrase "God Most High" is used in both lines of the blessing for special emphasis'

For both Abraham and Melchizedek to speak of God in such manner, they acknowledge Him as the source of all blessings, and recognise that He is not only the Creator but "Possessor" of the earth and all within it, things seen and unseen as well as the rest of the solar system etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To use the word used by Paul, I believe they both understood and believed in the preeiminence of el Elyon. That of all the "gods" worshiped all around them, of all the gods that they themselves had perhaps worshiped in the past, El Elyon was superior, supreme, over all, not even to be compared with anything. What I think of when I think of EL ELYON is the word Transcendent...the most high God, far above!

• 2 weeks later...

Abraham and Melchizedek both believed that God was and is the one Supreme Power in the Universe. They believed that he was to be exalted above all other people and things. They believed that God blesses and is blessed by what we do for Him. We must believe as Abraham and Melchizedek believed. We must believe and obey His commandments as Abraham. We must have faith in His plan for our lives. I want to be thought of as a Friend of God as Abraham was. :lol:

Such great answers from everyone! They both knew God was Creator of the heavens and earth and also that He was the great Supplier. What an awesome step of faith for us to follow - when Abraham had all that plunder, he could have justified it in his heart and mind that God was blessing him with it. However, he knew what God had already told him to do and chose to believe the Supplier instead of giving in to fleshly desires.

• 2 weeks later...