JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Abraham and Melchizedek

Pastor Ralph

Reading the background text, I noted the following:

Abram's clan of 318 men had accomplished a great victory! They had gone up against a formidable army of four victorious kings, and won!I have not studied Melchizedeck, but it follows that God had revealed Himself to Melchizedeck and called him into a royal preisthood much as He had revealed Himself to Abram and called him into the establishing of a people, sanctified and holy to God, El Elyon - thus the Kingdom of God.I also note the place - Salem, which became known as Jerusalem. King David went to great lengths to free the city and established his kingdom there. I beleive (this is from past reading of the scripture but I have no biblical reference to support my statement so this must be given as my thinking at this point - I do intend to search it out for my own edification in my journey of discovery) that God's plan from creation was to establish His kingdom through Jesus Christ here on earth and specifially pinpointed it to take place at Jerusalem, Peace, and from there it would fill the whole Creation. Furthermore, God claimed the throne of David as His own and placed His name there forever. When Christ returns, Jerusalem will be the seat of His government.The victorious return was greeted by both the carnal and the Godly. Abram had to make a choice. Riches from the spoil, or the wealth of God's blessing, uttered by Melchizadek. We assume from verse 22 that Abram had sought God prior to going out to battle, making it a righteous war in that he did not spill blood for the sake of personal gain. When faced with the choice, he chose to keep his vow. This had been a test. The assurance that he would be protected by El Elyon, and that his reward would be VERY great follows in Chapter 15:1. Melchizedek's prayer had been more than a blessing, it had been prophetic and intercessory - a prayer for the establishment of God's kingdom on earth, beginning with Abram's obedience and righteousness. Today, we are instructed to pray for the peace of Jerusalem - the return of Christ.The communion, unity, sharing between Abram and Melchizedek included God. El Elyon was central to every part of their lives. El Elyon had revealed Himself to them each as a personal, living, powerful, trustworthy, loving and Sovereign God. Melchizdedk brought out bread and wine: Just as in later times when Moses set up the Tabernacle and God established the sacraficial laws, the show bread was renewed daily and the wine (blood - life) was poured out for the life of the sanctified people of God. This also was prophetic of Christ.Finally, the tithe. It was a worship and thank offering to God. God sustained Melchizedek and added to his sustenance through Abram's worship of the Most High God. When we do not give our tithe freely and joyfully, it becomes a payment, a bribe or sorts, rather than a recognition of God as our provider; and we must share His provision with others if it is to be increased to us as individuals.

So, to answer the question, "What did Abraham and Melchizedek seem to share in common about God Most High?" -

They shared the common belief that El Elyon is the One true God, Sovereign, and working to establish the redemption of His people, reconciling His Godly ones - any and ALL who respond to His call - to Himself.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Genesis 14:19, 20, 22) What did Abraham and Melchizedek seem to believe in common about God Most High?

Abraham and Melchizedek believed that God Most High is the creator of heaven and earth and that He is fully supreme over everything. He is above all other gods, no one compares to Him.

• 4 weeks later...
Q1. (Genesis 14:19, 20, 22) What did Abraham and Melchizedek seem to believe in common about God Most High?
THEY BOTH BELIEVE THERE WAS A GREAT GOD,THE MOST HIGH GOD WHO GAVE THEM VICTORY.THEY RECOGNISE GOD US THIER SOURCE,FOR EVERYTHING.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Abraham and Melchizadek both seem to believe that there is one God that is God of all and creator of all. Melchizadek says that God delived Abraham's enemies to his hand...therefore, God is involved closely and personally in the lives of people. They both praise him and serve him with thankful hearts.

Abraham and Melchizedek both believed that God was the God Most High which implies they both believed that God was the God of gods and Lord of Lords. To explain this further if you looked at this as the corporate ladder they believed that God was the CEO or the top of the pyramid, there was nobody more powerful than God. Both Abraham and Melchizedek also believe that God is the Creator of the Heavens and the Earth.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First: what did the other people believe?

They believed in many Gods.

In this story, Hashem is called God Most High.

For God, the general word 'el' is used - which is also used for other gods.

We know that Abraham didn't believe in other gods: he thinks that Hashem is the highest for He is the only real God.

From this passage you can conclude that Melchisedek thinks also that Hashem is the highest of all but not if He was the only one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They both believed God Most High was/is the Creator of all things- heaven and earth (here and below). There is none higher or greater than the Most High God. He is ruler over all. King of kings , Lord of lords and God of gods.

They both believed that God Most High is involved personally with our lives. By calling Him God Most High, they also were acknowledging that, while other ppl believe in many gods, God Most High was above all. I do not believe that they were saying they believe in other gods, but that they were demonstrating to others who did believe in more than one god that they were wrong.

onesource5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Both Abraham and Melchizedek believed that God or El Elyon was the sole creator of the universe (of heaven and earth); that God was the God most high. Both also understood and believed that it was God Most High that had delivered Abraham's enemies into his hands.

• 4 weeks later...

They both believed that:

1. God was the only true God besides whom there was no other. That is there are gods (creatures) but when it come to God (creator) it was only God Almighty

2. That God was not just the only true God but at the same time He is exalted and occupies the greatest there is in position.

3. He owns everything that is created and exercises his right of ownership over them all.

4. That God was the source of everything we have and as such we need to appreciate the fact that all we have comes from him by the token of Tithe payment to him.

This entire passage is so incredible, and says so much, only a part of which I probably understand! First, the "action" revolves around a gathering and battle among "Kings" in the earth--yet both Melchizedek and Abraham acknowledge that there is really only one "Most High King" who is "God Most High." It is also interesting that Melchizedek, "King of Salem," is referred to as "priest of God Most High (NIV), singular. As we all know, as Christians we have only one "High Priest," and that is Christ. Melchizedek also brings with him the "bread" and "wine" which we all understand in "Communion" to be the "body" and "blood" of Christ, and signs of the "New Covenant," of which we are now a part. Earlier, with the call of Abram, the Lord had said, "I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and who ever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you (12:2-3). After the battle in Genesis 14, Melchizedek, King of Salem brings the "bread" and "wine" and very significantly, gives Abraham the "Blessing," from the "God Most High," creator of "heaven and earth." It is interesting that this incredible blessing comes through Melchizedek from "God Most High," even before Abraham "tithes" a thing--or even makes his incredible "oath" to "God Most High." After the blessing of God is given through Melchizedek to Abram, Abram then gives "God" a tenth of everything, acknowledging absolute superiority of "God Most High." This event, of course, is before the "Law of Moses," and the "tithe" given by Abram is from, I believe, the "love relationship" that has developed between this "Chaldean" foreigner, and "The Most High God." This relationship with the "Most High God," and the intervention of Melchizedek in Abram's life, foreshadows our own covenant with God--not just any God, but the "Most High God," through Jesus Christ.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Genesis 14:19, 20, 22)

What did Abraham and Melchizedek seem to believe in common about God Most High?

They both believed that God Most High was the Creator of heaven and earth. Also that He was a concerned God who defeated their enemies.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Windy

Both Abraham and Melchizedek, believed God Most High, created the heavens and the earth. That God is blessed and that he blessed Abraham, and defeated Abraham's enemies. They are both God-fearing men, they were faithful men and they wanted to do the will of God. God was such an important part of their lives. Melchizedek was a priest of God Most High, and Abraham was a faithful servant. Abraham followed accepted tradition and gave a tenth of the recovered goods to Melchizedek. He gave all the rest to the King of Sodom, he didn't want the King to be able to say, that he made Abraham rich. Abraham wanted the people to see that the glory and the victory belonged to God. I wish I had half of Abraham's faith.