JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Growing in Maturity

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Hebrews 5:14) How does a person become mature in God's Word according to verse 14? What can you do to grow in maturity?

I guess the best way to answer this question is to give an illustration: years ago, I started bowling. I fell head over heals in love with the game. I was not at all proficient, I made many mistakes. So I took it upon myself to practice faithfully. In time, I was able to acquire a skill, and attain a certain degree of success. After practicing and doing the same things over and over, when I did make a mistake I could recognize my error immediately and correct my fault. You can apply this to the scriptural principle, to practice ones biblical conviction and in time, you will recognize a sin or that you've gone off the path immediately. Repent, and get back on.

To grow in maturity is to work hard, study, to see what God is really telling us, and not to rely on preachers or teachers to explain the Gospel to us, but to have them, give us confirmation of what God has already told us.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Hebrews 5:14) How does a person become mature in God's Word according to verse 14?

A person become mature in God's Word by constantly reading, meditating and putting the Word of God to work in their lives and they live, measuring every action according to God's Word.

"... who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil." (5:14b)

What can you do to grow in maturity?

We grow in maturity on the nourishment of the Word of God; being diligent to seek out for ourselves the Word and being doers of the Word and not mere hearers only.

• 2 weeks later...
Q1. (Hebrews 5:14) How does a person become mature in God's Word according to verse 14? What can you do to grow in maturity?

In order to grow from infant Christians to mature Christians, we must learn discernmnent, We must train our consciences,our senses, our minds, and our bodies to distinguish good from evil,Can you recognize temptation before it traps you ? Can you tell the difference between a correct use of Scripture and a mistaken one ?

Our capacity to feast on deeper knowledge of God ( " solid food " ) is determined by our spiritual growth. Too often we want God's banquet before we are spiritually capable of digesting it. As we grow in the Lord and put into practice what we have learned, our capacity to understand will also grow.

As we learn to come into the presence of the Lord in prayer, worship, and studying the word, relying on the teaching of the Holy Spirit to give us revelation of what God is saying through His word, getting it from the head into the Spirit, we will grow and mature in the nature of Christ. Sometimes we need to sit quietly be still and listen for the voice of God speaking to us. giving us instruction and guidence through what the word is saying. Waiting quietly sometimes is the hardest thing to do. It takes patience and practice.

[b]Q1. (Hebrews 5:14) How does a person become mature in God's Word according to verse 14? What can you do to grow in maturity?

Christians develop finely-tuned spiritual understanding by the discipline of constant discernment. Disciplined training and studying of the Word is important. Distinguish or discern, evaluate as you study the Word. Go deeper to try to understand ("discern") for themselves the fine points of Bible teaching.[/b] :rolleyes:

According to v. 14 we become mature with constant use of the Word.

We need to study with others, by ourselves, memorize scripture, and put into practice what we learn to become more spiritually mature.

We have to use, daily, the word of God to constrain our thinking and practices. We have to study it, and put it into practice. By practicing it, we gain an understanding of its power and reality, its life and its dynamic. Without practicing it we will never learn this. We'll still be sitting there in the same state (except inured to the power of the word of God) as we began. By practicing we will live on an entirely different planet! We will look on earthly things with an entirely different perspectie, realising truth, sensitive to sin and righteousness, abhorrent of that which belies God's truth and loving righteousness. We will realise the life in every written word, and the death involved in its neglect will devastate our spirit. We will be at pains to promote the Truth which sets us free, and to teach the same to anyone who will listen. The Word of God will truly be life to us.

In order to grow to maturity I need to be hungry for God, hungry for Jesus, and hungry for the reality of the Holy Spirit, feeding myself daily on the Word of life, and incorporating that word into every part of my living. Not to do this is to allow my spirit to weaken and perchance to die, which is unthinkable. David loved Yahweh, and said "Thy word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against Thee", and when he sinned "Father, take not Thy Holy Spirit from me" (this was what he most feared in his life). Jesus is my best friend and I must spend much time with my best friend!

We become mature in God's word when we stay in God's word daily (constant use); when we study His word, not just read it (trained) -- both of which teach us to know the difference between right and wrong, good and evil (distinguish). To grow in maturity we need to be committed to God, wanting to learn more every day so that we have discernment of how the world's rules stray from God's, so that we are guarded against apostasy which can be a very subtle pitfall. If we talk to God every day and read His word, He alerts us to His real truth, and we are helped to stay on track with Him. Apostasy can be a deliberate act for some, however an unattentive Christian can be lured off track, away from God's word without realizing it. We need to be committed, and attentive to God's word to remain alert to His will. Jesus spent 40 days alone with His Father in His obedience, and he overcame temptation.

To become mature in God's word you have to walk the walk, talk the talk and do the do. As Brother James said; "Be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only,..." (Jas 1:22). To grow into a mature Christian you need to be a church, 24/7.

Today, Sunday, May 27, is Pentecost. It is also a Global Day of prayer. Let us join 176 nations across the world in praying for the world's needs. And, let us celebrate the greatest gift of all. The memorial of our Lord Jesus' sacrifice and the gift of the Holy Ghost that He gave to us thereby.

We become mature Christians when we learn discernment. We must train our conscience, our senses, our mind, and our body to distinqiush good from evil. One should ask this question, Can I recognize temptation before it trap me? Can you tell the difference between a correct use of scripture and a mistaken one.

14But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil." (5:-14)

By constant use of God's word to deal with the evil in our lives. By constant study of God's Word and applying what He teaches us so that we came become workers for the kingdom and have a reason for showing others the joy we have.As we study to show ourselves approves then we become filled with the Spirit and then are more open to what God is telling us to do with our lives.

A person become mature in God's Word in a way that by constant use he trains himself to distinguish good and evil.

To grow in maturity I can seriously, continuously, and openly learn God's Word, and then do what His Word tells me to do.

Babies are fed, changed, and taken care of without interacting with the caregiver on anything but a very superficial level - because they are completely helpless, the caregiver loves and nurtures without expecting anything in return

As the child matures, the relationship grows and ideally eventually the caregiver and the child develop a unique love relationship as a result of the caregiver's unconditional love at the start

As Christians, we begin by finding out the basics, learning the facts and the commands and enjoying the unconditional love of the Father

However we cannot stay in that stage - in order to , as the slogan goes "be all that you can be", we must delve deeper and learn more about our Father, spend time getting to really know Him and develop a relationship with Him that is uniquely our own

Just as in a caregiver/child relationship, it is the child's choice to return the love of the caregiver and to develop the relationship or turn away and go their own way, so it is our choice to draw nearer to our Father; to learn from Him; to grow more and more like Him; to respond to His voice or to turn away and abandon Him and His love

14 But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.

Not long ago a man who was down on his luck was selling pencils at a subway stop in New York City. A well dressed businessman reached in his pocket and produced a dollar which he dropped in the can beside the gentleman selling pencils and went on his way without taking a pencil. He returned a few moments later and said, "Excuse me, I forgot to take my pencils. You are a businessman just like me and you have a product for a fair price." So he reached into the jar and took out two pencils and went on his way..

A few months later this same businessman was approached by a gentleman while at a business conference. The gentleman said, "Excuse me sir, I don't think you remember me, but I was selling pencils at the subway when you called me a businessman. Well, I began to think about what you called me and then I started to agree with you. Then I began to act like a businessman. I just want to thank you for setting me on the right path."

Too often people take the name of Christian and do nothing about it. There is no change in their lives what-so-ever. The writer says here; in order to grow you must act the part.

If we are to grow into maturity, we must KNOW the Word of God, Walk in His Spirit, and Obey what He wants us to do. Discernment between good and evil is needed and He gives us as we need and ask and use His gifts of His Spirit. I think we are to be motivated by LOVE for Him as we follow Him and produce more of the fruits of His Spirit in our hearts.

Q1. (Hebrews 5:14) How does a person become mature in God's Word according to verse 14?

In order to become mature in God's word as a Chrisitan we must study and practice daily.

Practice makes perfect, so in order to grow in maturity we must work hard at mastering our Christian skills studying the word constantly and living a Christ-like life.

I firmly beleive the more we get into God's Word, pray that the Holy Spirit opens the Scriptures for us and be diligent in our study we will mature as Christians.

Like anything we want to excel at; sport music, hobby, we keep at it, making the few mistakes along the way but progressing in our learning. Forming a habit in a sense.

Our spiritual maturity will develop through spiritual discipline in soaking in God's Word and living the way Christ demands us.

Maturity comes from constant study and use of the Word. Application to daily living.

Have a set time to study each day, preferably early, when the mind is fresh.

Have a good reference book to study with, when you need understanding.

By constant study and then applying what you learn to your life, it is not good enough to know the word, the devil knw and trembles scripture say but you also must apply it to your life make changes where changes are needed and grow stronger in areas where you are already applying it. We also become more mature as we try and share it with others as the Holy Spirit leads us Jesus said He would send a comforter who would lead us in all things and as we mature in the word then the Spirit becomes more active in our life and leads us to teach others.

To grow in maturity we must continue to study and apply it to our life and share it with those who need to learn as we share we grow by the gift of God and His Spirit at work in our life.

How does a person become mature in God's Word according to verse 14?

The word mature here is used in the text that we should become fully developed or ripe in our christian life through God's word.

That we should learn to live out our daily lives by the word of God and learn the value of the cross and what Jesus has done for us.

The biggest mistake and the lack of teaching is that christians are kept on milk, that for the most part the teachings that come are not giving understanding of the foundations of the word and that we must carry out the principles that Jesus taught and this is what is being said in this chapter.

For instance, the Ten Commandments were given as a foundation to stand on and reflect on and to live by even today. They still apply for our lives today and that's what is stressed here by the author.

You must take the foundation or principle of the word and apply them daily and study to shew yourself approved and grow from it.

If a person gets saved and that's all they do and they never get into the word and they go to church and never study the word then they are the ones that fall to the wayside and find themselves always in the old life style and never giving God's way a chance to change them or their life styles and these are the ones that say. " old that faith stuff never works" or " oh I went to church, but it never made a difference in my life".

You can't keep getting saved and saved and saved, if you gave your heart to Jesus and confessed Him as Lord and meant it and it the Holy Spirit came in to rule and reign and then you stopped living for Him and stopped your faith in Him and kept living a life without Him and walked away, then " You Have Denied Him" and you can't go back and get salvation again, for you are already saved, you repent and commit and start to change by the word of God and walk it out and grow and stop acting as a child does and live a life of maturity.

Read the word of God, study the word of God, live by the word of God and apply the word of God. Learn who you are in Christ, learn what your gifts are and what destiny God has for you. Find a local church that He has called you to, serve in it and spread the gospel to others and if you can't stable yourself, go back to even the Ten Commandments and follow them, apply the words of Jesus and then learn how the word works for you.

Every event in our life have been fulfill by Jesus, so there is an answer and a way out for us all.

Every day I am faced with, do I apply God's word or do I choose my own way and deny what the word say's to me and for me.

Every day I have to choose, will I serve manna or God. Every day I am tempted and have to choose between good or evil. Its a daily walking out of sin or righteousness.

How does a person become mature in God's Word according to verse 14? What can you do to grow in maturity?

the person that becomes mature in the Word is the one that wants to discern in the teachings of righteousness.The person who becomes mature is the one that wants to nourish their hearts,souls and spirits.What we can do to grow in maturity is to be trained,constant use,and to distinguish the Word of God in all the right ways through prayer and fasting also through the church as well.