JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Jesus Is My Employer

• 1 month later...

When an employee wholeheartedly seeks excellence in all things, s/he will be an excellent worker. With such a quality as part of that person's character, this will go above and beyond the mediocre "get by, make-do" mentality. An employer will be able to have full confidence in the employee's desire to do all things well.

Working under a poor boss is miserable. To live out the challenge of these verses, you just have to set your sights beyond that person. Certainly, you must deal with the realities of the circumstance, but need to remind yourself that the situation is an opportunity for the LORD to do something for His glory through you. He has a reason for every situation He allows His children to experience. Seek to honor God by doing the very best job you can do and pray, pray, pray for that boss. Ask the Spirit to help you show His love for that person. Maybe He's giving that employer the chance to see the integrity and hope of Christ lived out in real life.

We are working "as for the Lord" in the sense that all earthly authorities are under His supreme authority and will be judged fairly by Him. Our own integrity and sincerity of heart as workers will also be judged. He is just as interested in our attitudes of uprightness, excellence, and faithfulness to Him as He is in what that boss is doing.

If everybody were primarily working for the Lord, the workplace would be a place of blessing - more productive and certainly more pleasant! People would be encouraged and built up. Most important, Christ would be glorified and His kingdom expanded.

Q3. (Colossians 3:22-24) If you apply Paul's instructions to slaves to the role of being an employee, what is the role of sincerity as an employee? How do we live this out when working under a poor boss? In what sense are we actually "working for the Lord"? What would happen in the workplace, if we actually began to live by these attitudes of heart?

Since the Creation, God has given us work to do. If we could regard our work as an act of worship or service to God, such an attitude would take some of the drudgery and boredom out of it. We could work without complaining or resentment if we would treat our job problems as the cost of discipleship

No service so mean but shall be rewarded, if conscientiously performed; no distinction in heaven between servants and sons, all shall receive the inheritance there, who have done faithful service here; and as the meanest service done with right qualifications, is service done to Christ, so shall it be accepted of him, and rewarded by him; Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance, for ye serve the Lord Christ.

As an employee we owe our employer the best work we are capable of even if we have to work under one whom we would consider a poor boss. All our work is to be done in such a way as to bring honor, glory and praise to the Lord. I honestly believe if those who claim to really be Christian would approach their job as an area of ministry in which the Lord has them, and gave it their best it could very well transform many a working situation.

Q3. (Colossians 3:22-24) If you apply Paul's instructions to slaves to the role of being an employee, what is the role of sincerity as an employee? How do we live this out when working under a poor boss? In what sense are we actually "working for the Lord"? What would happen in the workplace, if we actually began to live by these attitudes of heart?

According to Webster's 1828 dictionary, "sincerity" is a freedom from hypocrisy, disguise, or false pretense. An employee who works with a "sincerity of heart" goes beyond outward obedience. Their attitude is one of respect and responsibility to the employer as if working for Christ. "Living it out" when working for a poor boss, requires recognizing the position rather than the person. We submit for the sake of our relationship with Christ and His authority. If we would actually begin to live by these attitudes, quality of work would probably improve, relationships between employees and employers would probably improve, workplace climate would probably improve, and God would be glorified.

Q3. (Colossians 3:22-24) If you apply Paul's instructions to slaves to the role of being an employee, what is the role of sincerity as an employee?

We are to do our best in all things and under all situations as unto the Lord, the Messiah.

How do we live this out when working under a poor boss and in what sense are we actually "working for the Lord"?

God tells us the reason we are to give our best, under all situations, is because in so doing, we are giving worship, honor to the Messiah, Gods Son.

What would happen in the workplace, if we began to live by these attitudes of heart?

First of all for the Christian the question shouldnt be IF we began to live by Gods attitudes, Gods law, for if we are truly saved, we no longer have the same stony heart, we have had a heart operation, the motives of the heart now is calling us to live a life on a daily bases, that of which gives worship unto the Messiah, and not IF we feel like it.

As we look to things above, we understand, we have "free will" and it is up to us to be obedient, to fear God, we are called to mortify, put to death, the old ways of the flesh, we being a new creation, we are to clothe ourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience, bearing one with another, that is, IF we are truly His and our hearts motivation is now that of love What would happen to the workplace if we actually were a living testament of who is living in us is, the workplace and the world would see the power of the Cross changes lives, bringing peace - something the world cannot offer.

We are to do our best at all things and at all times because ultimately, as servants of Christ, our attempt is to demonstrate His presence in our lives. . .

We are to do our best. I've always felt that if (1) it is illegal or immoral, (2) unsafe, or (3) against the rules - then give it your best. . .

We are actually working for the Lord in that He is Lord of lords (over all). .

If we were to actually live by these attitudes in the wok place the attitudes of the people and the quality of the produce would greatly improve. . .

B)

To apply Paul's instruction as to the sincerity of our work, we will obey our employer in all that he/she asks us to do. (As long as it is not something immoral or illegal) we will do this consistently, whether under a watchful eye or not and not to win favor but to do our work in excellence knowing God sees and this is enough for us. We are to do our work as though we are doing it for the Lord and not as if we are doing it for men.

Thinking in this way, we become content in our work. Content we are serving God to the best of our abilities. Even under the direction of a poor boss, this helps are hearts to be right in why we are there. It helps us to continue in excellence even under strain and helps us to trust God in the situations that aren't Godly and to pray to Him for intercession for the circumstances, for our boss and ourselves! We can remain pure in heart even in the most difficult circumstances. If everyone started to apply these attitudes, there would be less complaining among employees, there would be contentment in all we do, excellence on the job and better unity/understanding among employer and employee.

Q3. (Colossians 3:22-24)

If you apply Paul's instructions to slaves to the role of being an employee, what is the role of sincerity as an employee?

How do we live this out when working under a poor boss?

In what sense are we actually "working for the Lord"?

What would happen in the workplace, if we actually began to live by these attitudes of heart?

Sincerity means having a pure motive; that is only to please the Lord Jesus. Instead of striving to please their employer, with an ulterior motive of seeking promotion or other favour, they should with sincerity and uprightness do honest work showing reverence for their Lord. It does not matter working for a poor boss. As long as he is honest and upright. For ultimately we are working for the Lord as our reward is in heaven. The result will be greater efficiency, and a better work environment.

Q3. (Colossians 3:22-24) If you apply Paul's instructions to slaves to the role of being an employee, what is the role of sincerity as an employee?

Our role as employees is to serve to the best of our abilities, at all times...not just when the boss is around or looking on. Our character is who we are when no one is looking. So we work with our whole heart, with honesty and intergrity, arriving on time, not sneaking out early, as other employees might do.

How do we live this out when working under a poor boss?

We are required to serve with our whole heart, regardless of the kind of boss we have. Perhaps he/she will be won to the Lord if he/she sees our work ethic and our godly attitude. God will repay/revenge the injustices if we leave that to Him and just work diligently and honestly and prayerfully.

In what sense are we actually "working for the Lord"?

We are working for the Lord in everything that we do, at home, at church, at work, at play. We live our lives as unto Him, allowing Him to live through us to touch a dying world.

What would happen in the workplace, if we actually began to live by these attitudes of heart?

The workplace would be transformed. People watch what we do and how we live, not what we SAY we believe. Hearts would be open, lives would change, petty disagreements and jealousies would be forgiven and forgotten. Harmony would be the rule rather than the exception.

An employee should work to the best of his ability for his employer being honest and even when he is working for a poor boss, he should do his best. Each employee should work keeping in mind his ultimate boss is the Lord and his attitude should be one of serving God. If this were to happen in the workplace, everyone would benefit and there would be more joy and contentment in the lives of all including the employee and employer. We must remember all we do is for the glory of God.

Colossians 3:22-24 - 22Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. 23Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, 24since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.

I am retired now, but I looked at work differently when I first started back in 1962 and how I looked at it over the last 25 years of working. I always have been a Christian, but as I matured as a Christian, I began to see my work as a gift from God. My profession was an accountant and initially, I could not see that as a job God wanted me to do. Over time, as I used my talent for the church, I realized that God had led me to that profession. When I realized that my profession was God's gift, my whole attitude for my work environment changed. Even though I may have had some bosses that were not my favorite, I knew that I would overcome those bosses by treating them as I would anyone else. In Colossians, it was written "obey your earthly masters in everything", and it also written "receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." If we remember that it is the heavenly reward that we are working towards, our productivity would soar and Jesus would be smiling.

As an employee we must be honest and of good integrity. We must do all things as unto the Lord. Meaning that we should arrive on time for work, and not steal time. we should not talk to other employees in a negative way about the employer no matter how we feel about them. With a poor boss I stayed prayed up and not try to complain or get caught up in gossip with other employees. Dont do things wrong because other employees are doing them because you have a poor boss. God has blessed us with a job and all that we have poor boss or not we are to be thankful to God and give thanks in everything. We would make a difference in the work place. People are always watching people who say they are christians and we have to be very careful what we do especially when we are pressed. When we are pressed are true character is revealed.

An employee must be honest in all phases of his job.

We obey & do what we are expected unless it is against God's Word. We then can choose to get another job.

The Lord is in control & has put leaders into place. We honor him when we honor those above us.

We wouldn't hear those people who say "it isn't MY job" or those who do as little as possible to get along. Much would be accomplished. The possibilities are endless!

As workers we should be sincere, show integrity and work as unto the Lord who is our Master. A good working attitude should be exhibited by Christian workers irrespective of whether the boss is good or bad.

If we all follow and obey the teachings of Paul in our work attitude, the workplace will a better place.