JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Active Faith

Q1. (Joshua 1:3) In what way is God’s promise to Joshua, “I will give you every place where you set your foot,” a conditional promise? What’s wrong with a faith that consists primarily of the philosophy: “If God wants me to have it he will give it to me”? What areas that God has promised you that you must press forward to receive?

• 3 months later...
On 6/10/2016 at 12:37 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Joshua 1:3) In what way is God’s promise to Joshua, “I will give you every place where you set your foot,” a conditional promise? What’s wrong with a faith that consists primarily of the philosophy: “If God wants me to have it he will give it to me”? What areas that God has promised you that you must press forward to receive?

1.a In order to possess the land it was necessary for Joshua to enter the land, then purposely step it off or walk it out, then fight for it, in order to claim and inhabit it, but with the assurance that it was already theirs!

1b. God honors faith...."whatever is not of faith is sin".(Romans 14:23)  Passivity shows lack of real interest, and no willingness to engage with God, in faith. Faith requires that we take God at His Word and believe it is meant for us and claim it for our own....and I am  determined to keep on believing and pressing in, for years if necessary.

1c. The area of a healed marriage....which has required me to ask and depend upon Him to do the work of restoration. It was required of me to get counseling and to engage in a Christian 12 step group where I could be honest about my brokenness and dysfunction from growing up in a violent, abusive, loveless, neglectful family. Exposing the abuse to the light and receiving support and prayer from other broken people has given me a safe place to learn new behaviors and to practice healthy behavior. As He has taken me through healing work, our marriage has improved and growth has taken place!

We will celebrate 50 years of marriage on Oct 3. A much different outcome than the divorce which was inevitable without the Lords' nudging me to press in and to actively seek His guidance, wisdom, strength and courage, and to be willing to face the pain of childhood years so the "pus" could drain and a temporary scab would quit forming in favor of true emotional and spiritual healing. Pressing in required  grieving and lots of forgiveness. It also involves patience, perseverance, and standing on God's promises!

2 hours ago, JanMary said:

1a the promise was contingent upon Joshua completing tasks. We often use this rationale to bargining with God. "God if you give me peace in this area then I will serve the homeless at least once a month"

1b the line of thought "if God wants me to have it He will give it to me" can lead to a passive faith.

On 6/10/2016 at 0:37 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

I suppose in the same way that if  Abraham had not gone to Canaan, Noah had not built the ark, Moses had not gone to see the burning bush...they would not have been seeking God, they would have been seeking their own agenda and there would have been different results.  God needs very little to work with...some dust, or a humble willing heart.  It seems if we put one foot forward in obedience, He helps us be willing and able to take another.  He desires a relationship, not control.  I am sure the more we pray, the more answers to prayer we will see.  We have not because we ask not.  My shortcoming is in not standing on those promises and asking, seeking and knocking enough.  I am too complacent and overwhelmed with the plateful in front of me.  I need to delight myself in Him, that His desires would fill my heart.  I want to be a light in my world--shining, holding out the word of life to a crooked and perverse generation.  Lord, help me with the next step.

Faith is  having complete trust and confidence in the character of God , in His word and His promises  . Only when we take action upon His word and promises can we see results .Be doers of the word and not hearers only . God is Faithful to keep His promises only when we are Obedient to do what He says . If he says go then we must go , if He says wait then we must wait , pray then we pray , etc. Living a godly life is a condition to receiving God's promises . SEEK FIRST THE KINGDOM OF GOD .

God has promised to transform my life into the image of Christ  daily spiritual growth . The Holy Spirit produces the fruit  , I must put it into practice everyday . Pressing on and pressing in when I fall . Not giving up .

Q1. (Joshua 1:3) In what way is God's promise to Joshua, "I will give you every place where you set your foot," a conditional promise?
The “promise’ God made to Israel is "NOT" conditional on God’s part because God is faithful to keep his promises’, however, taking possession of the land "IS" conditional on Israel’s obedience and faithfulness to God.

This is not about Joshua, this is about land God promised to Israel which was first promised to Abraham hundreds of years before, disobedience and grumbling against God hindered them from occupying the land, however, God’s promise to them would never be rescinded, (everything is done in God's timing).  
The "you" here is referring to Israel and the land God swore to their fathers to give them; it is time for them to walk in faith, to be strong and courageous, to observe and to do according to the law which Moses commanded them.  

The key for Israel to prosper wherever they go is for them to meditate on God's laws so they may observe to follow accordingly, for it is in their willingness to do them that they will find the way to success.  

I believe that is good advice for the believers today, obedience is better than sacrifice.

Q2. What's wrong with a faith that consists primarily of the philosophy: "If God wants me to have it he will give it to me"?
Philosophy to me reflects on "SELF" - God laughs at the philosophy of man for they are contrary to the plan of God.  
The "FAITH" God is speaking about that brings success is depended on mans spiritual state, when man reflects upon God's Word to do them faith grows and the impossible then seems to be possible.

Q 1.  In what way is God's promise to Joshua, "I will give you every place you set your foot," a conditional promise? I truly believe that it about faith. Do we believe God means what He says? Do we trust Him? We show that we believe and trust Him when we step out in faith and make that move or action to show God that we believe Him and trust everything that He has promised. God says what He means and means what He says.

Q 2. What wrong with a faith that consists primarily of the philosophy: " If God wants me to have it he will give it to me?" That sounds like someone having a sense of entitlement. Whatever God promises you He will provide. Our part is to believe Him, obey Him and make an action move by stepping out in faith. God promised Joshua that the Children of Israel would have that land. Joshua said okay, then he and his men took up the weapons available to them at the time and went to battle. 

On 6/10/2016 at 3:37 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Blessing's to All,

We...the conditional pro.use came as a general promise from Moses in Debut. 11:24, this makes the promise a confirmed Word from the LORD due to the posture of the condition. Faith took place in the time of the given promise and works give existence to the possession of the land. 

The fact that one would speak of God wanting to have and He gives is much like an selfish type of vainess to me. It leaves one to be in a position of laziness, and not standing on the promises of the LORD. It states in James that we must work our Faith, for this helps us in development, patience, strength, trust and belief not in non-chalantness. 

Leaning on Him. He is our Shepherd, we lack nothing, He Restores, guides and comforts us (PS. 23); 2 and Corinthians 9:8; Ephesians 3:20,21. \o/

It's conditional because where Joshua and his people physically go, God will give them that territory or land. The key here is winning battle after battle. All those lands God gave to Joshua and his people. Life sometimes can be hard or distressing. Certain things in my life God has given me and I am to keep moving forward to get all He promised me. He is definitely a God that gives you what He has promise, all you got to do is follow His instructions.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 3:37 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

It's conditional because Joshua must have faith enough to physically set his foot upon the places that God has already predestined for him and the Children of Israel.  Faith without works is not enough.  God keeps His promises and does not lie however, Joshua must trust God inspite of how things may appear.

God is faithful and loyal in his promise and his covenant with the children of Israel, but he also expect the same attitude from those who have signed up with him.

Joshua 1:

7  Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest.

8  This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.

The success of the children of Israel is conditioned by their observance of God’s commandments and his law.  This is the key thing that Christian churches have dropped off when teaching the followers about the Christian faith.

They encourage people to go forward and conquer to achieve the desires of their hearts, but they have neglected to tell people to observe God’s commandments and his law.

The result is clear for all to see, the fruit of the Christian world is on its way to perdition and a total destruction of the entire world, after almost 2000 years of preaching the Good News and harvesting nearly 2 billion of followers.

Thus, Christian churches have successfully conquered the world but it also fulfil all the prophecies of the Holy Bible.

The Christian world today is very much advanced in its self-satisfaction and it has transformed the whole world into Sodom and Gomorrah of old.

Therefore the warning of Christ is fulfilling right under everyone’s eyes:

Matthew 24:

4  And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.

5  For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

6  And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

7  For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

8  All these are the beginning of sorrows.

10  And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.

11  And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

12  And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

14  And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

15  When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)

What can Christians expect from God when they only call on Christ’ name but not doing the will of His Father?

Matthew 7:

21  Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22  Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23  And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

The first chapter of the book of Joshua is telling us clearly that God has kept his promise of the covenant with the children of Israel because of their obedience and observance of his law.  It is not their faith in God alone that give them the success in conquering the Promised Land.

“I will give you every place where you set your foot,”  The question I ask myself is "what is the purpose of setting foot on a place?"  Its for possession! It is also good as saying "never mind, every place you possess by reason of setting your foot, don't worry about contenders because I (God) will give you victory.  My wife has health challenge and we know that we are healed with His stripes.  As she wanted to attend a prayer meeting today, she suddenly could not move her legs, she refused to be moved, rather commanded the legs to move and the legs moved.  She is living out the life of a a healed person.  My little understanding is that God has already given the land to His people and they are expected to just commence the usage.

On 6/10/2016 at 0:37 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The promise to Joshua, "I will give you every place where you set your foot," is a conditional promise in that they must follow the Lord wholeheartedly.  It is in their obeying God's instructions and putting away unbelief that they will inherit the promise.  The same it true for Believers today.  The promises of God exist for all who put their faith and trust in Him and are walking according to His will, being active in His plans and purposes.

The  faith that consists primarily of the philosophy: “If God wants me to have it he will give it to me” is faulty because God cannot reverse His promises.  When we don't receive or see the manifestation of the promise we must examine ourself and trust that our faithful God will direct us to the right path so that we can live the abundant life for His glory.  

In my journey I must continuously seek to walk in obedience and know that God's word never fails, people do; but not God.  If I am to succeed I must submit to the leading of the Holy Spirit, "trust in the Lord at all times".

These are very serious questions to us at this present dispensation. I would say, Joshua had a relationship with God as he was the assistant to the Lord's servant Moses who passed unto glory. Joshua already had seen the power of God work with his master. I think he had no other choice than to obey and with faith trust on the Lord. In fact, if God will continue to show me things like He has been doing there is no doubt that I strobgly trust Him. I experienced a funny situation when I moved to a small Swiss village mainly inhabited by farmers. Being of black African origin, the elderly neighbour opposite the house questioned my landlord why he had to rent his house to a black man. He was not friendly to us eventhough my wife is white. We lived in that house for about 9 years, then one night I got a revelation, that I was going to buy the very house of that elderly man. The man was still happily staying in there with his wife. I recounted the revelation to my wife. Three years later they advertised the house on the net for sale, now they were looking for the individual who will offer the most. I told my wife we also have to show our interest. It turned out that there were over 70 families interested in buying the property. So those responsible started screening and discussion with the potential buyers. After about 8 months of waiting we received a letter from the man's children informing us that they are sorry to let us know that we were no more among those short listed to the next round of screening. My wife broke down because she liked the area. I told her to simply trust my God and have Faith and that those selling the house will turn around but will come back to us and we will own the property because God has given it to us. 4 months later, our land lord came up with a brilliant idea since he wanted the surrounding farm land for grazing. He siad we should get into a deal to buy the property and share it. So we agreed and came up with a strategy that we take the house and he takes the grazing field. He then approached the sellers and offered them his intension to buy everything on his own. The sellers accepted and started discussing with him but by the time he had to finalize the deal he told them that he was only interested in the land and informed them that they should contact us because we are still interested in buying the property. Some weeks later they contacted us by phone and wanted to confirm that we are still interested. I said yes but will only buy it if he goes 100'000 CHF down with the price. He got quite angry and fumed but said he'll have to discuss that with his oldman. Why did I do that? I did that because I knew the Lord God had already given us the property. Two days later he came knocking and wanted to discuss, we gave him a seat. He told us they have gone 60'000 CHF down. Finally we bought the house. This is just to say God is still speaking and He is so Trustworthy and Faithful. In conclusion, Joshua knew the power and goodness of the Lord and that there is no other God that the Lord Almighty. The instruction to Joshua was conditional on the simple fact that if Joshua and the Isrealites wanted to get to the promised land then they had to keep walking for God said   “I will give you every place where you set your foot,”.

The Faith that depends on the will of God forces us to obey God and to know that He is God. This kind of Faith helps us kill our fleshly desires and make us learn to be dependent on the Father alone.  

Q1. (Joshua 1:3) In what way is God's promise to Joshua, "I will

give you every place where you set your foot," a conditional 

promise? What's wrong with a faith that consists primarily of the 

philosophy: "If God wants me to have it he will give it to me"? 

What areas that God has promised you that you must press 

forward to receive?

1.  It means that where Joshua and the people actually, physically 

go, God will give it to them. We see the promise fulfilled in Joshua 

where the people win battle after battle in campaigns in both the 

south and north of Canaan. Where they actually go, God gives them 

the land. But where they don't go, where they don't persist until they 

obtain the victory, the Canaanites continue to hide out and harass them.

2. We want everything brought to us on a silver platter, but God tells

us to go and claim it personally. Then God will give it to us.

"We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who 

through faith and patience inherit what has been promised." (Hebrews 6:12)

3. He has promised me a good job. He has promised to pay my

overdue bills and to give me a financial blessing.

1:  God has commissioned Joshua to a task and by him fulfilling it, God will abundantly reward him. I think Joshua being God’s humble servant, He wanted Joshua’s obedience and faithfulness to complete His will since there was no one else to succeed Moses.  God saw his faithfulness being Moses’ aide.  I think it’s almost like saying he wanted him to succeed, hence, his reward.  I think the same goes for all of us in Christ.  Sometimes there are consequences but God is merciful, He will bring us through.  We will continue to stumble if we are not continually being reminded through his Word that God is God and he can do anything. Therefore, he will test us for obedience and our faith in Him.  I think God’s promise is conditional in that aspect.

2:  The philosophy of "If God wants me to have it he will give it to me".  I think that's something of ignorance of who God really is.  God is not to be taken for granted, and he is not a genie.  I see this as an easy way out rather than trusting God.

3:  I believe in walking in obedience, walking in faith and totally trusting in God and we will see his blessings.  I need to really practice that kind of walk.

Q1. (Joshua 1:3) 
In what way is God's promise to Joshua, "I will give you every place where you set your foot," a conditional promise? 
What's wrong with a faith that consists primarily of the philosophy: "If God wants me to have it He will give it to me"? 
What areas that God has promised you that you must press forward to receive?

God’s promise to Joshua is conditional in that it demands Joshua to act in faith, to put his trust in God. 
This promise, to take possession of the Promised Land, was made hundreds of years ago to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and God always fulfills His promises. 
Our Heavenly Father is always faithful, He never forgets, He never makes mistakes, and His timing is always perfect. 
God has made the promise, now it is up to us to possess it. We cannot be passive about it; we must actively pursue whatever the Lord has promised us.
We must remember it is not what we are, but what He is!
It is the same with God’s grace, although a free gift, we must claim it.
It all requires a faith that actively seeks God’s will.
We are assured of success when we fill our hearts and minds with His Word and at the same time obeying it.

On 6/10/2016 at 2:37 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

God's promise to Joshua is conditional because God tells him every place he sets his foot will be theirs. This of course is provided that they defeat the people of that land.

The faith that consist of our philosophy, "that if God wants me to have it he will give it to me", has taken most people to believe anything they want without any consideration as to what God wants for them. This phrase usually turns to greed rather than what God wants for us.

The area that God has promised me is that through faith in Christ I will inherit eternal life with him in heaven. This is a hard promise because we must be obedient and trust in Christ. With everyday problems especially with married couples with children, it is hard for society presses in at all sides. 

Joshua succeeded Moses as Israel’s leader. What qualifications did he have to become the leader of a nation? (1) God appointed him. (2) He was one of only two living eyewitnesses to the Egyptian plagues and the Exodus from Egypt. (3) He was Moses’ personal aide for 40 years. (4) Of the 12 scouts, only he and Caleb showed complete confidence that God would help them conquer the land.

Joshua’s new job consisted of leading more than two million people into a strange new land and conquering it. What a challenge—even for a man of Joshua’s caliber! Every new job is a challenge. Without God it can be frightening. With God it can be a great adventure. Just as God was with Joshua, he is with us as we face our new challenges. We may not conquer nations, but every day we face tough situations, difficult people, and temptations. However, God promises that he will never abandon us or fail to help us. By asking God to direct us we can conquer many of life’s challenges.

Josh must physically go there to claim it.  God blesses us but we must seek and move to receive the blessings.  God wants us to have everything, he gave us everything, we choose to go away from God thinking we can do on our own or that we know better.  God always has and will give conditions for his blessings:  at the beginning to stay in the garden--don't eat from the trees of life and knowledge of good and evil to now salvation is there and a way to heaven--we must ask to receive, admit our sins and move toward Christ example to show his love through us. 

God has blessed me in so many ways and I find when I center on being the woman of faith he has called me to be in his plan.  I'm attacked more by Satan however, however, God showers me with blessings and growth and I can do His will by simply listening and thinking before acting.  God wants me to succeed and has a role in his plan for me that I neeed to fulfill and he carries me through it all.

The promise is conditional because it requires us to go out with the Lord in His power to take possess of our land

What is wrong is that contrary to such a position, God actually expects us to make a move towards taking our possession and not mere passive faith

There are several areas such as follow up on my unpaid pension, possessing some parcels of land bought some years back but have not been fully released by the sellers.