JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Seal, Guarantee, Anointing

• 2 months later...

What does the Holy Spirit as a "seal of ownership" teach us?

That we are of Christ; that we belong to Him.

From the lesson: “the seal you and I bear in the spiritual world in which Satan is our enemy is the Holy Spirit of God, who identifies us as God's and protects us from evil. We are marked with God's mark, the Spirit, not the enemy's mark.”

As we deny Self and our devotion is to exalt Christ, to exalt His will even though we ourselves are being sanctified (made complete) we demonstrate who we belong. 

We do so being: Agents/Ambassadors Change The Situation – Ministers/Servants of Reconciliation (Serving)

We do so lifting : Adoration. Community. Theology. Service. – (J-O-Y) Loving Jesus first, serving others, and you yourself eat the living Word, drink the living Water as you serve.  (Dying to Self) 

We do so in conversation/Prayer:

Adoration – “Praise be to God!” - Psalms 68:35
Confession – “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just, and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” -1st John 1:9
Thanksgiving – Always “glorify him with thanksgiving” - Psalms 69:30
Supplication – “Make your requests known to God.” - Philippians 4:6  (Staying plug into the Source honoring; get back in stride in His grace blamelessly; glorify Him; (continue communing/continue open communication).

What does the Spirit as a "down payment" teach us?

It teaches me The pledge, the promise from God is good today, tomorrow and what’s to come as I live move and have my being in the faith of Christ. 2nd Corinthians 1:22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts. 2nd Corinthians 5:5 Now he that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, who also hath given unto us the earnest of the Spirit.

When is the full payment made in this analogy?

The payment is made full at God’s appointed time: 1st John 2:28 1st John 3:2; Colossians 3:4

What does the Spirit as an "anointing" teach us?

It teaches the anointing of the Holy Spirit sets us apart for His service, from the lesson: “The Spirit upon us is an anointing, appointing and empowering us for service (2nd Corinthians 1:21b; Isaiah 61:1a; Acts 10:38a; 1st John 20, 27)”

(2 Corinthians 1:21-22) What does the Holy Spirit as a “seal of ownership” teach us?

The Holy Spirit of God as a "seal of ownership" teaches us that we belong to God.  The Holy Spirit of God identifies us as God's and protects us from evil. 

What does the Spirit as a “down payment” teach us? When is the full payment made in this analogy?

A "down payment" teaches us that the Holy Spirit is a guarantee that we belong to God and that we will receive more.  The full payment is made when Christ returns.  

What does the Spirit as an “anointing” teach us?

The Spirit as an "anointing" teaches us all things.  The Holy Spirit of anointing sets us apart for his service. 

Without directly answering the question, I just want to say "THANK YOU!" for having this come as a separate memorization email this week!  This set of verses hit me square in the heart, and they are just what I needed to hear. 

I've been struggling with my own need to have Jesus relocate from my head to my heart -- a work-in-progress.  And these verses struck home and made me feel really joyful, confirming that He dwells within me, even though He often feels (even though I "know" He isn't) far away.

I strongly encourage everyone else to memorize these verses, hold them close in your heart, and reflect on them often -- they are a true gift from God!

Teresa

On 7/23/2018 at 1:22 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (2 Corinthians 1:21-22) What does the Holy Spirit as a “seal of ownership” teach us? What does the Spirit as a “down payment” teach us? When is the full payment made in this analogy? What does the Spirit as an “anointing” teach us?

That we belong to God and that there is so much more to come.

Guaranteeing what is to come, 

When Jesus Christ comes back.

Teaches us about all things, to remain in him.

Q3. (2 Corinthians 1:21-22) What does the Holy Spirit as a "seal of ownership" teach us? What does the Spirit as a "down payment" teach us? When is the full payment made in this analogy? What does the Spirit as an "anointing" teach us?

1. The seal you and I bear in the spiritual world in which Satan is our enemy is the Holy Spirit of God, who identifies us as God's and protects us from evil.  

2. The Spirit as a down payment is "a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.” God sealed us, and gave us the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.

3. When Jesus comes back.

4. The anointing we receive from him remains in us, and we do not need anyone to teach us. His anointing will teach us about all things and get us ready to obey his will. 

As the “seal of ownership”, the Holy Spirit validates that believers are now owned by God. We’re eternally established in Christ. We’re marked by God’s mark in the spiritual realm, and nothing can remove that mark. This teaches us that we are not our own, but are in the secure possession of God.

As the “down payment”, the Holy Spirit is our guarantee of the spiritual inheritance of the new covenant that is promised to us through the blood of Christ [Ephesians 1:13-14]. Mortal life will be swallowed up by eternal life, with an eternal home in heaven [2Corinthians 5:4b-5]. The full payment of this analogy will be made at the completion of the plan of salvation. God’s people will finally realize complete freedom from sin and death when we're received into the Father's presence.  We will share in the eternal glory of Christ [Romans 8:17]! This teaches us to keep a heavenly focus as we live this earthly life, and to stand firm in faith, hope, and joy as we confidently await that day.

As an “anointing”, the Holy Spirit is our consecration to set us apart for God’s service. This teaches us that we have value and purpose for the kingdom of God. Believers are anointed with the grace of the Spirit to teach, equip, and guide us in loving God, surrendering to His will, living the life of faith, and doing His works.

Q3. (2 Corinthians 1:21-22) What does the Holy Spirit as a "seal of ownership" teach us? What does the Spirit as a "down payment" teach us? When is the full payment made in this analogy? What does the Spirit as an "anointing" teach us?

The seal is, in essence, the uniform we wear. Warring factions always include at-least two parties. In this case we have the “Army of God” and that of the enemy which is Satan. Clothed with the seal of ownership, we now identify with God’s army. Satan has always been hostile toward the children of God and will stop at nothing to torment them or try to win them over, which, once you have the seal of God you are of God’s children forever. The seal of God makes it plain to all that we are God’s children forever.

The Spirit as a down payment teaches us that we have been bought, and we can begin our new lives, much like when a person puts a down payment on a house and can begin to live in it and when the house is paid for nobody can take it from them. The final payment for us is when we are finally taken into the Kingdom of God to forever live with Him.

I don’t understand the Greek language, but on a search of anoint I found an interesting article which uses the word masah, describing the word in different ways, which are also verifiable in the Bible. The definitions included:

• ·         Being set apart for God’s work, which also included responsibility and accountability to the people. Sometimes failure happens, and we are to make things right.  
  •              Empowerment. God, through His Spirit will empower us to accomplish His purpose.
  •              Protection. God promises to protect His children. Many attack Christians on this point, like at times when a Christian gets tortured or put to death doing God’s work. They will ask “why isn’t God protecting them?” They say this without seeing the whole picture. The ultimate victory comes when one finishes life having not given in to Satan’s deceptions and the victory over death surely comes under this protection.

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/topic/1804-q3-seal-guarantee-anointing/

“Seal of ownership” teach us that there is ongoing and eternal security of Christ in believers’ souls.  Believers are able to grow in the Christian faith through the power of the Holy Spirit within them.

down payment” means that God has identified Christians as His own by placing the Holy Spirit in their hearts as the first installment that guarantees everything He has promised us.  We therefore must stand firm In Christ.  We must remember that whatever power we have it was through Him.  Whatever progress we made, it was because of Him.

Full payment is the promise of having eternal life with God in heaven at Jesus' second coming.

“Anointing” teaches us that we are set apart for God’s service to continue His works while under his protection.

Q3. (2 Corinthians 1:21-22) 

The Holy Spirit’s presence, His indwelling, is the “seal of ownership” – we now belong to God and we will spend eternity in His presence. Salvation is found in Jesus Christ alone, and as soon as we believe, and put our trust in Jesus, we are sealed with the Holy Spirit. Meaning that we have received the Holy Spirit as a sign/seal that we belong to God (we are His property 1 Cor 6:19-20), and that we will be kept safe by Him until the time we receive our glorified bodies.
As soon as we are saved, the Holy Spirit begins to reveal to us some of the riches that are ours in our Lord Jesus. This is the down payment, a deposit, a foretaste of the coming glory. The gift of the Holy Spirit to believers is a down payment on our heavenly inheritance, which Jesus has promised us and secured for us at the Cross. We will now start experiencing His power working in us to transform us to the likeness of Jesus. 
Full payment will be made when Jesus comes. 
At the moment of belief God anoints each believer with the Holy Spirit. In Old Testament times prophets, priests, and kings were anointed with oil that symbolized the gift of the Holy Spirit. They were appointed to assume an office and to fulfil a task in the service of God. 

Q3. (2 Corinthians 1:21-22) What does the Holy Spirit as a "seal of ownership" teach us? What does the Spirit as a "down payment" teach us? When is the full payment made in this analogy? What does the Spirit as an "anointing" teach us?

It means that the Holy Spirit is the one who seals or marks us for ownership. He signifies to others that we belong to God. He is the one who seals us and protects us from evil. He seals us unto redemption comes.

The Holy Spirit as a down payment teaches us that we are given part of the payment now and the rest will come later. Now we have the Spirit but later we will see the Lord face to face. Then we will be paid in full. We will not have to struggle with sin, temptation, or evil anymore.

The Spirit as an anointing teaches us that we are set apart for service to God. It is like someone anointing us with oil. The oil is a symbol of the Holy Spirit and we are anointed when we become part of God's family. 

That we are owned by the Lord and we are to respect our bodies and what He has loaned us for a period of time until we die. Also when we are owned by the Lord then we will keep His word and do His word as well. It teaches us that God will come back for us and do what He says and bring us back to Heaven. The full payment is made when He comes back from Heaven. It teaches us that each of us has a special place to use our God given abilities.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:22 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (2 Corinthians 1:21-22) What does the Holy Spirit as a “seal of ownership” teach us? What does the Spirit as a “down payment” teach us? When is the full payment made in this analogy? What does the Spirit as an “anointing” teach us?

a. That the Lord has set His seal of ownership upon us and we belong to Him.

b. That He has given us a down payment of His Spirit in our hearts and it is just the down payment with more to come as we grow in Him.

c. Full payment, where one day we will see Him face to face and we will live with Him for all eternity.

d. The Spirit as an anointing teaches us of the things of God.  The anointing equips and sets us apart for service.

QUESTION 3 LESSON 5

The Holy Spirit as a “seal of ownership” teaches us that through the Holy Spirit we are given tags, or a mark of belonging, a sign that can be used by the owner of the property (us) to identify what is his. The seal of ownership is also a form of security, protecting those with seal from theft or harm.

The Spirit in down payment in that we have it in us as a deposit which makes it possible to enjoy some of the privileges of the Kingdom of God. (2 Corinthians 1: 21 – 22) uses the words “the Spirit in us is a deposit guaranteeing what is to come. We are therefore contracted but there is more to come in the future with regard to our relationship with the Author of the deposit.

The full payment will be made in the second coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. (Revelation 22:4) informs us that we will come face to face with God and the seal of ownership – his name, will be on our foreheads.

The lesson here is made clear when in (Luke 4:18 Jesus quotes Isaiah 61:1) "The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, because the LORD has anointed me to...." The anointing as explained in Isaiah 61:1 enables the anointed person to perform functions and acquire powers to carry out the mandate assigned to you through the Holy Spirit. We are therefore empowered and enabled to “preach the good news to the poor.”

Q3. (2 Corinthians 1:21-23) What does the Holy Spirit as a “seal ownership” teach us? What does the Spirit as a “down payment” teach us? When is the full payment made in this analogy? What does the Spirit as an “anointing” teach us?

1.The “seal of ownership” teaches me that I am marked, with a guarantee of security.

2. The Spirit of a “down Payment” teaches me, that I have part of the purchase price in advance. I am engaged to marry, I have the ring, the Holy Spirit. I am waiting for the ceremony

3. The full payment analogy will be made when Christ return, I will see Him face to face, the engagement guarantees the marriage.

4. The “anointing “ teach me  that I am consecrated and qualified for service.

Thanks , The Holy Spirit confirms within me  the joy of my salvation.  

Q3. (2 Corinthians 1:21-23) What does the Holy Spirit as a “seal ownership” teach us?

From the time of the Crucifixion of Christ ,  those covered by the Blood of the Lamb have been bought with a price.  The Holy Spirit comes and sets a seal upon those God has chosen and those that have surrendered to Him. God owns us and we are redeemed from the hands of the Evil one.

What does the Spirit as a “down payment” teach us?

Temptations may still cross our paths but we have been given a  ''down payment '' of protection and grace that covers us on our journey through the Kingdom of God.

When our earthly journey is finished and we meet Christ face to face, in all His Glory, we will then be given the full payment , a permanent status with the Lord.

What does the Spirit as an “anointing” teach us?

GOD loves us, as we are, and has chosen us, blessed us with the protection of the HOLY SPIRIT to guide us on our journey.

"21  Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us22  set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come." (2 Corinthians 1:21-22).

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 12:22 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. 

a (2 Corinthians 1:21-22) What does the Holy Spirit as a “seal of ownership” teach us

Holy Spirit as owner ship teach us that  we belong to God .It is a mark of protection from Evil .So we have the Spirit's mark ,not enemies mark ,In essences we are sealed and separated for God

b., What does the Spirit as a “down payment” teach us?

We are bought with a price in advance ,the redeeming blood of Christ.It is a guarantee the we are of the Spiritual world in union with the constant guidance at Spirit realm through the Holy Spirit ,It is a secure deposit that assures us safe in Christ .

c&d ,When is the full payment made in this analogy? What does the Spirit as an “anointing” teach us?

The full payment was made at the cross ,still there are further payments when Christ will see us face to face .

Spirit as anointing -The meaning of the word anointing is 'oil being poured out on someone ,"" the Oil of the Spirit of Holiness ,This anointing by Holy Spirit is the teacher ,

Summary is that Holy Spirit comes upon a person and takes the reign of life and reigns ,the master and controller ,protector and advocate from evil ,illness and deceitful enemy ,

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:22 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3 a: I love this verse....I attended church for a short time which taught that we could lose our salvation....it troubled me as a new believer, until I discovered their teaching was in error! The "seal of ownership" teaches us that He claims each of us as His own child! Salvation is a gift received in faith, and cannot be "undone" or "taken back". The seal establishes us as united with all believers in joint fellowship. His seal makes us steadfast in this life and secure in His love and protection.

b. and c. The "down payment" assures us that His promises are "Yes and Amen!" here on earth, and that we are securely His: "sealed" with His Holy Spirit in our hearts and lives. A down payment is just the beginning of the "full purchase price or until  "paid in full"....He Who has begun a good work in us will complete it at "that day"...or as Paul said " For me to live is Christ (His life in me) and to die is gain. (the gain of the glory of eternity. Phil.1:21) This is when we will see Him Face to face and we are "wearing" our new eternal bodies. We have an unbelievably wonderful future in Heaven with Him forever!

d:  The anointing tells us that we are consecrated to His purposes and are endued with His gifts for service. (The down payment tells us that like a "lay-a-way", what was purchased and paid in full, will be waiting for us when it's time to receive all that is awaiting us!)

Holy Spirit as a "seal of ownership"" The Holy Spirit is the identifier -- the essential identifier -- that we belong to God.  The seal of ownership I bear in the spiritual world in which Satan is our enemy is the Holy Spirit of God, who identifies us as God's and protects us from evil. We are marked with God's mark, the Spirit, not the enemy's mark.

Spirit as a "down payment": The Spirit as a down payment "a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come"  is payment of part of a purchase price in advance.  This either secures a legal claim to the article in question, or makes a contract valid; that obligates the contracting party to make further payments.  Thus, the presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives as we slog through this world is not as good as it gets. Yes, the presence of the Spirit is wonderful and indispensable and allows us to get acquainted with God personally.  

When is the full payment made in this analogy? when Christ will come and we will encounter God face-to-face.

Spirit as an "anointing": the anointing of the Holy Spirit sets us apart for his service.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (2 Corinthians 1:21-22)

Q. What does the Holy Spirit as a "seal of ownership" teach us?

A. His presence in us is like a seal on a legal document that indicates the authenticity  or genuiness of the document. The Holy Spirit in us shows that we are truly children of God.

Q. What does the Spirit as a "down payment" teach us? When is the full payment made in this analogy?

A. The presence of the Holy Spirit in us is just like an initial payment made to us as He makes us accessible to the Holy Trinity. But more is expected for us when the Lord returns to take us to heaven where all will be well with us because all the pains here on earth will be no more.

Q. What does the Spirit as an "anointing" teach us?

It is like the pouring of oil/ water in the New Testament for kings and servants of God to be equipped for service. The coming of the Holy Spirit in us anoints/ empowers to serve and communicate with God and people.

The Holy Spirit’s “seal of ownership” teaches us that He owns us and wants to be with us. I think that the Spirit as a “down payment” teaches us that this isn’t all that there is and it will only get better. I think that the full payment is made when we get eternal life. The Spirit’s “anointing” teaches me that I have been sent into the world to do His work.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/24/2018 at 1:22 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

The "seal of ownership" gives us assurance of salvation, as we know we belong to God. As a result, we also feel assured that God Himself will preserve us and we can overcome the evil one. "For you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls" (1 Peter 1:9).

The "down payment" gives us a "living hope" (1 Peter 1:3), because we know that the blessings we experience now (like peace, the power of God, etc.) is only a foretaste of much greater, unimaginable blessings in heaven. "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him" (1 Corinthians 2:9).

I believe we receive the full payment when Christ comes again and receives us as his own into heaven. "The creation waits in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed" (Romans 8:19). That is, all creation is pining for this Day when Christians will be glorified together with Christ, and creation can be remade into the new heaven and new earth. This is the full payment.

The "anointing" gives us a commission. It tells us that God set us apart and will empower us to do His work on earth, in particular, to be His witnesses. "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you, and you will be my witnesses..." (Acts 1:8)

• 2 weeks later...

The Holy Spirit as a seal of ownership proves to the world, to anybody who looks upon us, and to anybody who tries to take us for their own (ie:  Satan) that we are the property of the Most High God.  Thankfully the Most High God will never surrender us to another, so when we belong to Him, we belong to Him forever.

The Holy Spirit as "down payment" teaches me that receiving the Holy Spirit is not the sum total of the gift of the Holy Spirit, it is merely a portion of a much larger gift.  This gift is coming in the future, and it specifically refers to the coming Kingdom and eternal life.  The down payment is something that brings joy and power into my life now, and it serves as a promise that I will be picked up later by my "owner" and taken "home".   

Holy Spirit anointing makes it evident that God sets me apart and makes a special point of giving me his Holy Spirit.  A king is anointed in the presence of the people he will rule over.  It isn't the same for believers; we are anointed in the presence of one another but that's in order to serve -- serve Christ and serve one another.

• 2 weeks later...

Sealing speaks of ownership. Sealing also speaks of commitment. For in modern translation of koine Greek, the word for seal expresses something like an engagement ring. This sealing happens supernaturally and therefore cannot be removed naturally. So not only are we sealed by the Holy Spirit, to express, wherever our voyage of life takes us, whether through stormy waters, or calm waters, we are forever marked to be His, till He brings us safely to His side of the shore as His bride.

The Holy Spirit, as the down payment in us, is a guarantee that He will complete what He has begun in our lives. What we enjoy now because of the presence of the Holy Spirit is nothing compared to what we would be enjoying on the day of redemption. We now, enjoy a communion with the Lord through His Spirit, we can know His mind, we become a channel of His blessing to others, He prays for us through us, He is our helper, comforter, guide, but all this is just “a sneak preview of coming attractions”.

The full payment in this analogy is made at the time of coming of the Lord Jesus Christ. Till that time our tabernacle groans to be fully clothed from above. The creation also groans for the manifestation of the sons of God. That is why Paul says for me to die is gain and to live is Christ. So we the bride say with the Spirit, come Lord Jesus!!!

The anointing of the Spirit upon our lives set us apart for His service. We have received His anointing, not to receive “holy goose bumps” but as a mandate to do His will and to walk His walk and to work His works amongst His people. We have to emulate Christ by the leading of the Holy Spirit, that we may be the salt and light of the earth. Because He has placed His anointing in our lives, we know (with absolute certainty) that we are precious in His sight and that He will never leave us nor forsake us.