JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

4. Mercy

Pastor Ralph

Day  4 Meditation (Psalm 123). What does this psalm teach us about trust that our Master will right our wrongs? What does it teach us about contempt for others? What group of people in your particular community most bear the brunt of prejudice? What can you do to go out of your way to show active love toward them?

• 1 month later...

What does this psalm teach us about trust that our Master will right our wrongs? What does it teach us about contempt for others? What group of people in your particular community most bear the brunt of prejudice? What can you do to go out of your way to show active love toward them?......on this Sabbath Day....

I believe that GOD had a purpose in what happened..(of course)...and I believe that GOD has a purpose in what is happening in America(and the world) and in every individual...We should never forget that Scripture teaches that "judgment begins with GOD's people"..before judgment of the world begins...

"Although the Jews suffered greatly and faced powerful cultural pressures in a foreign land, they maintained their national spirit and religious identity. Elders supervised the Jewish communities, and Ezekiel was one of several prophets who kept alive the hope of one day returning home. This was possibly also the period when synagogues were first established, for the Jews observed the Sabbath and religious holidays, practiced circumcision, and substituted prayers for former ritual sacrifices in the Temple. The degree to which the Jews looked upon Cyrus the Great as their benefactor and a servant of their God is reflected at several points in the Hebrew Bible—e.g., at Isaiah 45:1–3, where he is actually called God’s anointed."...from Encyclopaedia Britannica

Thank you very much, Pastor Ralph for including the map..Maps are very helpful in understanding where we came from and where we are going...(from Genesis to Revelation (or the Apocalypse)....According to the book of Ezra, the Persian Cyrus the Great ended the exile in 538 BCE,[15] the year after he captured Babylon.[16] The exile ended with the return under Zerubbabel the Prince (so-called because he was a descendant of the royal line of David) and Joshua the Priest (a descendant of the line of the former High Priests of the Temple) and their construction of the Second Temple in the period 521–516 BCE.[15]

Edited by Shuttlehall
Addition

The psalm teaches that our master will right our wrongs. If we have contempt for others we need to pray about it so we can get our heads screwed on right. I think that the Spanish people in our community bear the brunt of prejudice but as a rule I don’t see that happening. The way we can go out of our way is to make friends with them and pal around with them.

I particularly love this Psalms because it teaches us that no matter what we are faced with, or how exiled we may be from God change can take place once we seek God. It reminds me of Psalms 46, which lets me know that MY God is a present(right NOW) help when I am in trouble.

It also, lets me know that no matter what my econo-socio status is I am not better than any one because God made us all and Psalms 139 tell me that we were all fearfully and wonderfully made. Not only that, but Genesis tells me that we were made in the image of God therefore, we should not be lauding over and mistreating anyone.

In my country like any other country the Haitians and some other Caribbean citizens are despised. Even though it's wrong the problem is because of these people arrogance more than anything. Many of them are in the country for a better way of life but because of their culture they are aggressive and our people who are for the most part are very Passive so they rond to he aggressiveness and Arrogance negatively.

I inspite of every thing try to show love and point out some wrongs most times when it's displayed in my presence. Other times I become upset and try not to show how I feel. I t all boils down to knowing who to go to when you face life's difficult challenges and for everything.

It teaches me that first I must believe in God and never take my eyes off Him. In this way He becomes central in my life. This opens the way to have a relationship with Him, (Jesus) which increases my trust & confidence.

God loves everyone equally. We are all the same in His eyes. He teaches us to be humble and warns us about pride.

I enjoy the diversity in my community with people of different cultures. I like to listen & learn from them to better understand our differences. But more importantly to appreciate our similarities. A smile or handshake can go a long way to show respect for our fellow man.

The Psalmist shows us his great faith in God in this Psalm. In the first two verses he speaks about looking to God, and acknowledges who God is! Then he speaks about a servant looking to his master for his needs. He then pleads for mercy and relief from his oppressors.

It is a great example for us to do likewise when we are in trouble. To first of all contemplate just who we are coming to and then in faith ask for help and mercy.

This Psalm also teaches us that we are dependent on God and should be humble and realise that we are so sinful and how dare we show contempt to other human beings who just like us have been made in God’s image.

Isaiah 1 v17 Learn to do good; seek justice correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widows cause.

Deuteronomy 27v19

Cursed be anyone who perverts the justice due to the sojourner, the fatherless and the widow.

In our country which is Ireland we have travelling people who live in caravans and travel around the country and park at the side of the road. Some of the travelling folk have become “settled” in recent years, have settled down in houses but many still travel. 
Unfortunately the settled people object to having travelling people live near them. The two communities rarely mix. There is suspicion and hostility on both sides. 
However great strides are being made to bring greater understanding and patience between the two communities. But I fear there are still many barriers to overcome yet.

I have had some interaction with some of the traveller ladies and I try to be kind and friendly to them. I am conscious that they are loved by God and we are all equal in His sight. I find it can be difficult because they are suspicious and can be hostile because of how they have been treated in the past.

On 7/19/2020 at 12:17 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Day  4 Meditation (Psalm 123). What does this psalm teach us about trust that our Master will right our wrongs? What does it teach us about contempt for others? What group of people in your particular community most bear the brunt of prejudice? What can you do to go out of your way to show active love toward them?

a. This psalm teaches us that we can come to our Master with a problem or need, and we can trust Him to help us.  He is merciful and forgives us as we lift up our eyes to him for help, humbly bringing  needs and our shortcomings  and patiently look to him to supply our needs, for we know he will.

b. We are not to have contempt for anyone, as God created every one and loves each one individually.  We are not to look on the outward appearance but to look at how God sees them with compassion and love, as we are all made in the image and likeness of God. We are to love our neighbor as ourselves and do unto other as you would have them do unto you.  We would not want to be in some of the bad conditions that they are in or treated as they are, so put yourself in their place and see how you would feel.

c. In my neighborhood community there are many Russian-Jewish families.  They may seem different because many of them do not talk English but talk their native language, and a woman from Cambodia but I have patience and take time to listen.  They all are the greatest people, all loving and caring, probably because they come from countries who have had wars and many trials and they appreciate America and all its freedoms.

d.  I have gone out of my way to share God's love with them by prayer, baking, sharing meals with them and gardening around the apartment complex with flowers to make it look pretty for all. I love doing things for them and sharing the love of God.  I heard a message on seeds recently.   Everything you do or say is a seed. So now I make it a point to sew good seeds out of my mouth or seeds that I do with my hands, like caring for the seeds I plant with people or those that I have put in the ground.

Day  4 Meditation (Psalm 123). What does this psalm teach us about trust that our Master will right our wrongs? It's the idea that God is in control of our lives and that we can trust in Him for all of our needs. Our LORD, our God Yahweh is both merciful and just. He's a God that will care for you and avenge you if you are being wronged. He is a true Father, the one you can look to for help when in need, and justice when oppressed.   

What does it teach us about contempt for others?  The psalm allows us to reflect on the suffering of the Israelites and the contempt they endure as they work to rebuild their lives. It is a lesson in endurance, patience and living righteously.  

What group of people in your particular community most bear the brunt of prejudice? What can you do to go out of your way to show active love toward them? I think disabled people face the most prejudice because it is often the case that we simply cannot get in the door if there is no ramp up the stairs. Because I am disabled myself, I just do what I can to make sure that people and businesses comply with the laws that protect the rights of those with physical challenges. And if in times I get discouraged, I pray to God. Because our God is a God of justice, I know that He will not only comfort me, but He will also seek justice on my behalf. Like the scripture says, our God looks out for the orphans and the widows. He will also look out for the physically vulnerable.

Day 4 Meditation (Psalm 123). 
What does this psalm teach us about trust that our Master will right our wrongs? 
What does it teach us about contempt for others? 
What group of people in your particular community most bear the brunt of prejudice? 
What can you do to go out of your way to show active love toward them?  

Here we learn to put all our trust in the One who is our only refuge and security in this fallen world of ours. To lift our eyes toward the Lord means to trust Him and turn our problems over to Him by faith. In the same way David looked up to the Lord in Ps 25:15, “I always look to You, because You rescue me from every trap”. His eyes are looking continually heavenward in trust and expectation. He is confident that the LORD will help him in his time of trouble. It has been said that God in His love always wills what is best for us, and in His wisdom, He always knows what is best, and in His sovereignty, He has the power to bring it about. But in order to trust in God’s sovereignty, love, and wisdom, we must know Him in an intimate, and personal way. God will never abandon those who seek Him (Ps 9:10). Prayer is our approach to God, and we are to come with reverence as well as bold assurance knowing that Jesus is our Friend and Counsellor (Heb 4:16). In my country during these hard-economic times, we have many people from neighbouring countries looking for employment. They are often seen as outsiders taking jobs away from the locals. So, we have a common situation where angry locals often physically attack and ostracise these outsiders. It has become a large political problem and all I can say is that love for the aliens and exiles and understanding of their situation is required. 

What does this psalm teaches us about trust that our Master will right our wrong? What does it teach us about contempt for others? What group of people in particular community most bear the brunt of prejudice? What can you do to go out of your way to show active love toward them.

This psalm teach me to show love and mercy for all people even those who Hate me because of the color of my skin. Because I am a foreigner in this country just as the Israelites in Babylon. I show no contempt for others even those who who try to harm me with they evil words. But I place my undivided trust in my master the Creator of heaven and earth, because I know He will always take care of His own, and no matter what those who are motivated by the devil try to do they cannot harm me they are only harming themselves because I know that they are indoctrinated with they evil even by some their own political leaders. But I will go out of my way to show active love to them. The Bible says ye Have heard that it hath been said, thou shalt. Love thy neighbor, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that. Hate you, and pray for them which. Despitefully use you, and persecute you. So I will love them and prayer for them that God almighty will change their evil hearts. Because He wants none to be lost but to come to repentance and saving grace. Amen

I have had to put my trust in the Lord quite a few times in my life over serious issues and God delivered each time.  Praise Him!.
I am a refugee from Africa to UK 45 years ago with 2 small children.  Life was very hard at first. 

I can understand how it feels to be an immigrant.  Did not face the attitudes of resentment as we seemed to fit into the communities we lived in.
We have today. what we call the boat people arriving on our shores practically everyday desperate to make a life in our country.  I know how it feels.
There is one thing I have realised doing todays study.  I can ask our church If we could spend 1/2 minutes every Sunday praying for all people who land on our shores, desperate to make a life for themselves and their families. Pray for compassion and understanding.  They are not scroungers but want to earn a living and pay their way!

It teaches us that the Master is righteous and just. He is compassionate and hears our prayers. He will help us and supply all our needs. 

It teaches us that we should not look down on others who are different than we are. We should respect them and show them love. We should reach out and help them if we can.

The Arabs in our community. Some people are telling them to go back home. 

I can be friendly towards them. I can be courteous and offer help if I can.

Day  4 Meditation (Psalm 123). What does this psalm teach us about trust that our Master will right our wrongs? What does it teach us about contempt for others? What group of people in your particular community most bear the brunt of prejudice? What can you do to go out of your way to show active love toward them?

Romans 8 comes to mind and that God also restores the years the locusts have eaten.  He is a redeeming God, the One Who can make all things new.  Righting wrongs means we are willing to confess our sin and receive God's cleansing and we are confess our faults to one another, seeking reconciliation when we have wronged someone.

Contempt?  Except for the mercy, forgiveness, and grace of God we are all contemptable in God's sight, lost, undone...while we were sinners Christ died for us.  We are to hate sin as God hates sin.  We are to love others with the love God has for us, enabled by the work of the Spirit in us.  There is no place for contempt of people.

Prejudice comes in all forms whether against the poor, the rich, the "lucky", skin color, ethnic origin, religious belief, education level, etc.  If someone wants to be prejudiced, they can find a reason.  In my community the brunt of prejudice is mostly against those who break the law and our system of "justice" promotes law breaking.  If you're rich enough or know the right people you can "skate".  

I must admit my own prejudice against many politicians who "live above the law" yet look down their pharisaical noses at law abiding citizens.  One day justice will be served, BUT, I pray for their salvation.  I speak about policies for which they support ie. abortion.  I address issues via mail and email and phone calls.  I let them know I am praying for them.  I let them know they will answer to God one day as I will.  I share my testimony of coming to faith in Christ....the biblical principles on which our country was founded...the need to return to God... "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord."

I conduct jail ministry and nursing home ministry.  I talk with law enforcement.  I talk with people at gas pumps or the convenience store.  I wear Christian clothing with a message ie "I KNEE FOR ONLY ONE MAN AND HE DIED ON A CROSS".  

Let me please address "racism":  We are one race, the human race, one blood - many ethnicities.  I understand the term "racism", but the word "race" is being misused since there is only one race.  The moment a person uses the word "race" is divides.  It is a prejoritive word...automatically has a negative connotation, consequently, I don't use it.  I try to emphasize we are ONE race under God and that by seeking HIM and His Word, issues/problems can be solved.

This psalm teaches us that it we trust Him, our Master will right our wrong.  The scriptures say,  "Behold the eye of the LORD is upon them that fear Him, upon them that hope in His mercy; to deliver their soul from death and to keep them alive in famine."  "Woe unto those who offend the least in His kingdom" Our heavenly Father watches out for us to take care of us.

Being  contemptuous of others is a sin. We are instructed in the word of God to love our neighbours as we love ourselves.  We have to treat others the same way we would want others to treat us, you know,  'Do unto others ...' 

I am happy to say that we have come a long way in the way we treat each other today. Things have even out a great deal from when I was a child.  My country is made up of six races including the indigenous people -  Amerindians, derogatorily known as 'Buck' people.  At one time they were considered uncivilized and undeserving of respect.  Then there are the East Indians, contemptuously called 'Coolie'.  We also have the black people or 'nigga'.  Over the years there have been a lot of interracial coming together in marriages and common-law relationships that produced children of all kinds of mixed races, which is so good for our society.  Our problem is that we have a racial political system which feeds racism between the two largest groups of people - the East Indians and the blacks.  There is a kind of subtle dislike of the black people by the Indians which comes to the fore periodically.  Other than that, on the surface, everybody lives peacefully together until there is an election.    

In my community businesses are owned and run by people of different races.  Under normal circumstances, I deal with whomever can provide the goods or services I need.  When things are tense between these groups and others would boycott certain race because of what might be going on, I try to do business as usual by continuing to get the things I need from my usual providers, be they black, white, pink, or green, with a pleasant attitude.

5 hours ago, Mona Burton said:

Oops....error. I will repost my answer.

On 7/19/2020 at 9:17 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

1.  It teaches me that as I look to my Papa God, He ALWAYS shows mercy and loving kindness to me, especially when I am scoffed at with contempt from others. His tender heart always listens and always hears my cries for help.

2. It tells me that His eye is always upon me, even as His eye is upon the lowliest sparrow. He sees it all, knows all about the wrongs done to me. Contempt is based in pride and an attitude of superiority, and we know that Proverbs tells us He hates pride, and that pride goes before a fall. (perhaps that's how he deals with those who harbor contempt for others) I think of 2 Cor. 10:12, which tells me that when I compare myself with others, or measure myself by others I am a fool. (I will either see myself as superior which is prideful, or inferior which is an insult to God who created me to be just as I am.)

3. This may seem like an odd answer because it is not about race or religion, which seems to be the most common cause of contempt from others, but this is an election year and I live in California, a  mainly "blue" or democrat controlled state. The group of people who are bearing the most contempt and prejudice are those who wish to  re-elect President Trump who is the most pro-life President in U.S. history. One cannot even make a comment, put a U.S flag in the yard, or a sign on the car without the flag being ripped up and stomped on, or the car being "keyed" or being screamed at or shouted down if a comment is made for Pres. Trump. I know of two families who are so divided on this issue that those who are against Pres. Trump (with great contempt against him and their family members) will no longer associate or speak to family members who love and appreciate all that he is and has done for our America.. It's rather frightening and hard to believe that the Marxist revolution which was introduced gradually in the previous administration and has grown so that one can no longer voice a respectful opinion without severe consequences. I'm white, and have many black friends, who are mortified by the BLM takeover by Antifa, and who are using this "cause" to raise racial tension and chaos in order to disrupt the election process. (Ultimately it IS about religion, because Marxism insists on the eradication of all religion)

Our church is delightfully multi-racial, as is our community, and I'm unaware of overt contempt, although it may quietly exist because people are people, and sin abounds. But comforting to remember how our God looks upon it and deals with it in and on behalf of His children. If as  His children we are showing contempt, there will be correction, at some point. If it is toward one of His own, there will be some repercussion also at some point.

What does this psalm teach us about trust that our Master will right our wrongs?

We learn that God is merciful and gracious.  He will hear our prayer and will answer according to his wisdom and grace.

What does it teach us about contempt for others?

We should have compassion for those that are oppressed.  Today's time is a prime example of the perfect opportunity to show compassion.  We have so many oppressed people.  Instead, those that are less fortunate are despised and looked down upon.  God words says that we are to have compassion for them. 

What group of people in your particular community most bear the brunt of prejudice? What can you do to go out of your way to show active love toward them?

Unfortunately, I am part of that community, as an African American, that are discriminated against.  I have never seen so much racial tension, chaos and division as I see today.  It makes me wonder, where are the Christians?  How can you sit back and see what's going on and not speak up?  I hold on to my faith and continue to trust God.  I try not to let what I see and hear about my people sway my love for humanity.  I continue to believe God is in control!

Day  4 Meditation (Psalm 123). What does this psalm teach us about trust that our Master will right our wrongs? What does it teach us about contempt for others? What group of people in your particular community most bear the brunt of prejudice? What can you do to go out of your way to show active love toward them?

It teaches that when we choose to trust in the Lord and believe that He is able to defend us and our cause and right any wrong. He will do it as long as we choose to trust Him and not to take matters into our own hands instead like the rest of the world. It teaches us that that we are treat others as equals and not differently because of color of their skin. We are also treat them as God as sees them. I would have to say the Arabs are being treated with great prejudice as well as the blacks. Even people who are obese now. I can show them God's love.

On 7/19/2020 at 11:17 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

We can place our lives and circumstances in God's hands even when they are awful and not what we would pick. Contempt for others should not characterize the life of a believer or a church. Muslims? Try to be kind to them and pray for them at work.

Day 4 Meditation (Psalm 123).

Q. What does this psalm teach us about trust that our Master will right our wrongs?

A. Our Lord God Almighty is faithful, compassionate and ever ready to right our wrongs when we call/ or cry unto Him for hep

Q. What does it teach us about contempt for others?

A. We should show no contempt for any one

Q. What group of people in your particular community most bear the brunt of prejudice?

A. My people call the southern Kaduna are socially discriminated, segregated and not given any justice in employment, admission, promotion and much more  by the ruling Muslim class.

Q. What can you do to go out of your way to show active love toward them?

A. To go out there and the an example  of love showed by the Lord Jesus Christ

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2020 at 9:17 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q - What does this psalm teach us about trust that our Master will right our wrongs?  ANS -  As we look to our Lord, He will show mercy!

Q -  What does it teach us about contempt for others?  ANS -  Oftentimes, depending on our situation, it can become very real.  But we should look to our Lord, and master, for His mercies.

Q -  People in our own community?  ANS -  I suppose if there were anyone, it would be the homeless population.  Supporting our community efforts to meet this need, such as bringing in the "Union Gospel Mission" is important.  And reaching out to provide a helping hand to an individual on the street, when appropriate, is greatly appreciated by them. 

On 7/19/2020 at 9:47 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

I have not had much experience dealing with aliens from other countries, but I do understand the essence of this Psalm. See, in India its it's quite surprising not to have a maid (or two, or more- one each for particular job, in case the other does not show up.) I see a parallelism in the overt disparity in the treatment of a guest and a worker. Though there is no contempt or taunts like the Israelites experienced, and many, many employers of every religion take care of their workers needs for their families, the distinction however is expected on both sides.

When I was a child there were many instances of young workers being adopted by Christian families who brought them up as their own, educating them to do better. My neighbour who had an open home for anyone wanting to pray before her big altar, not only  took care of her young worker, but got her married and looked after their child giving the couple the opportunity to earn better in the Gulf (a big thing at the time.) I've not seen that kind of altruism since.

but what ill treatment is more rampant and not even thinly veiled, is casteism which is one of the major contributions to violence and death. It happens within the same religion. That is why over centuries many converted to Christianity because there is a sense of acceptance and validation. 

the Israelites were paying for their disobedience and were attacked by stronger more powerful rulers on many occasions. Among the many laws given them by God, they were to treat the aliens in their land right. Now perhaps they get to taste what it is like to be an alien.

Most Christians feel compassion for the less fortunate. It is intrinsic to those brought up with Christian values. But there also needs to be a caveat in today's world; there needs to be wisdom and insight on some occasions.

• 6 months later...

Day  4 Meditation (Psalm 123). What does this psalm teach us about trust that our Master will right our wrongs? What does it teach us about contempt for others? What group of people in your particular community most bear the brunt of prejudice? What can you do to go out of your way to show active love toward them?

(Psalm 123) -  A Plea for Mercy to the Father - A prayer for Mercy . Beautiful indeed 

The father will right our wrongs, we must leave all in his hands, for revenge is his. We must love our neighbor, our brother, our sister no matter appearances, color, race, etc. Yes, its hard, people make it hard to love them at times, but all we can do is try our hardest, not to allow the hate/evil consuming this world consume us. We must be better. We must over come it all.