JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Oppression of Aliens and Sojourners

Q1. (12:10) What dangers faced Abraham and his family as aliens and sojourners in Egypt and elsewhere? Who might oppress them? What "aliens and sojourners" live in your community? Why did they come? How are they being oppressed or discriminated against by employers and others in the community? What can you and your church do to "love those who are aliens"?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (12:10) What dangers faced Abraham and his family as aliens and sojourners in Egypt and elsewhere? Who might oppress them? What "aliens and sojourners" live in your community? Why did they come? How are they being oppressed or discriminated against by employers and others in the community? What can you and your church do to "love those who are aliens"?

What dangers faced Abraham and his family as aliens and sojourners in Egypt and elsewhere?

They had no legal rights, were vulnerable to evil people who tried to take advanage, rape and even kill them.

Who might oppress them?

A local king or warlord, those were different from them, those in authority, the religious groups

What "aliens and sojourners" live in your community?

We are in S. California & have many from other countries here, but mostly Canadians, Hispanic and homosexuals[/color]

Why did they come?

For a better life

How are they being oppressed or discriminated against by employers and others in the community?

Canadians are called snow birds & charged more for things because people think the have more money.

Hispanics are limited because a lot of them do not try to adapt to their new culture or learn the language.

Homosexuals are looked down upon for their sin, it is hard for some to separate the sin from the sinner.

What can you and your church do to "love those who are aliens"?

We as Christians need to embrace those that are different and show them God

Q1. (12:10) What dangers faced Abraham and his family as aliens and sojourners in Egypt and elsewhere? Who might oppress them?

Strangers in a foreign land were in danger from any native, they could be robbed or killed. The leaders in such a land could take what they wanted or do away with them, whatever they pleased.

I live on the central coast of California, here we have Asians and Mexicans mostly but also Portuguese, Middle Easterners, people from India.

Why did they come?

They came to improve their lives.

How are they being oppressed or discriminated against by employers and others in the community?

First generation immigrants, those who have newly arrived and can't speak English have a tough time. The various government agencies, city, county, state, and federal provide many safety nets for them especially the basics..shelter, food, medical, and education. In this county (Santa Barbara) the offspring or second generation do very well and prosper, especially those from families who encourage and prize education.

We do many things here, have food drives, toy drives at Holiday time, and extend invitations to participate and partake in special church activities. The local library as well as the schools have special displays so others can learn of other cultures that are represented in the ethnic groups that live here too. It's a matter of including them and making an effort to understand them.

Kyeland

They faced danger of being attacked and possibly killed for their livestock or whatever the people of that land saw they had that they wanted for themselves. Or, they might try to make them slaves to work for them.

Many Mexican people have moved into our area. Sometimes people look down on those who are different from themselves, or speak a different language. Since even if they know a little English, they can often misunderstand what we say and respond strangely--in our eyes. Because of that, some people laugh at them and discriminate against them. Having lived in other countries, I understand how stupid you feel to not understand what people are saying to you and also not be able to make yourself understood by them. :huh:

They have come to try to make a better life for themselves than is possible in Mexico. Often they are downgraded and given only the lowest of jobs, no matter how qualified they may be in their education. <_<

We had a Mexican man visit our church and he sat next to my husband and I. When it was apparent that he did not know what was expected of the worshippers, we tried to assist him, and after church, since I know Spanish, I talked with him, welcoming him and inviting him to return. Unfortunately, he has not done so. :unsure:

Abraham & his family, like you so clearly pointed out in the exposition of this weeks study, in their sojourning was very dangerous, as they were facing a people with no fear of God, that would do to them what ever they felt in order to have their own way, including raping, beating, killing, and any other grotesque thing the locals of the many places they went desired. I am some what a sojourner in my own land and community, for the heart and my love for God, opposes the many here who are following the way's of the world, and I pose a threat to their life style, so they watch, and wait for me to slip up and do something like they would, no matter how minor or major the pore decision. They take every opprotunity to pounce on God's own with violent words, and sometimes even physical violence, should they get the chance. That's not always the case. If guilt can not be found of or in some thing, then they'll make it up from something shared about my life before I accepted Christ as my savior, in attempts to empathize with those with my testimony. Praise God that He didn't leave me alone for the wolves to devour. There are a other sojourners where I live. Some from a different city in the same country, and some from different countries. I never asked "why did you come here" (thanks for pointing out that I need to pay closer attention), so I can't answer that part of the question, but as for me I got here by following what God put on my heart to do. On the rare occasions we meet up with each other, it is evident by conversation that they are beaten down as well, for any reason, or no reason at all. I have not yet found a church to be a member of.

I would like to take a moment here and Thank All those who heeded my call for prayer in the last post of last week in this study. Your advice is much appreciated, and the biggest thing I learned so far is that as I struggled to figure out why I was angry, I started out by throwing the blame on others (Abraham & Sarah specifically). Oh, and also, I asked you all to pray for me, yet I did not pray to God before responding to that question in the first place. God reminded me that anger is fear, and so I ask myself: self :), what are you afraid of? I am afraid that I do not know. I can't put my finger on it. I have been praying, and I am affected very deeply, but the answer/s has not come. I'm not perfect and that bother's me. For Jesus said to be ye therefore perfect, as I am perfect. Now I understand that to be of the consious, because according to man's standards, we can never be perfect, but according to God we Can. In our conscious, and I transgress against the Lord by emulating them in retaliation as I get brought down by those who do not Love God, and feel the sting of their very hurtful words and sometimes actions, but mostly I feel the sting from that which I caused myself. Vengeance is mine saith The Lord. Amen!

As strangers in a new land, Abraham and his family faced social and environmental hostilities as they sought land suitable to graze their livestock. They had left their extended family in Ur and Haran and had to rely on themselves. To provide security from gangs, Abraham sought to ally himself with the local leaders.

In our community Hispanics are

1a.) (12:10) What dangers faced Abraham and his family as aliens and sojourners in Egypt and elsewhere?

1a.) Pastor Ralph really addresses the main point under the "Vulnerabilites of a Sojourner." rather than enjoying native civil rights, the ger was dependent on the hospitality that played an important role in the ancient near east." Abram and his family were at the mercy of the natives who had no kinship or connection with them and they could be looked upon as another competitor for food, money, property, etc.

1b.) (12:10) Who might oppress them?

1b.) Natives, leaders of the area, other sojourners. Abram had no emotional ties with anyone in the land.

1c.) (12:10) What "aliens and sojourners" live in your community?

1c.) Those that do not know Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.

1d.) (12:10) Why did they come?

1d.) They were created to have a personal relationship with the God of creation.

1e.) (12:10) How are they being oppressed or discriminated against by employers and others in the community?

1e.) For those sojourners not native to the United States, they may not have the job, language skills or education needed for higher paying jobs. Those not seeing them as image bearers of God, may look upon them with suspicion or pre-conceived notions learned from parents, our culture, or television.

1f.) (12:10) What can you and your church do to "love those who are aliens"?

1f.) We are taught: "Then the King will say to those on his right, ' Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingodm prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and came to visit me.'.....The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'" (Matthew 25: 31-46)

Abraham faced the dangers of evil people who would try to take advantage of him, and the wrath of the Pharaoh in Egypt.

There are many Mexicans who live in our community who came here for a better way of life. They work in the citrus groves where others will not work. Sometimes they are robbed and beaten by other Mexicans and many live in substandard conditions.

Our church has a Spanish speaking class and we have a good ministry to the children. We have missions in the area that provide food, clothing and day care to many who are in need.

Abraham and his family were in danger of being killed or rape. Their lives were at stake. Can you imagine going into a place where you might know this is a possibility but it is out necessity for your family and flock.

In our community we have the Spanish speaking or they might be called mexican or those funny talking people.

They came for a better livinig. Sometime there is disappointment because of the way they are treated.

They work hard but for less pay and this make others angry because they claim they are taking our jobs.

We are all God's children. I often wonder what the success rate for finishing school because of the moving around for work.

We can put love that we talk so much about into action. In my case help someone learn to speak English.

We can witness to them about Jesus Christ. Be one to buld up and not tear down.

Don't be a part of the problem, be a part of the solution

The usual dangers of being looked down upon, raped, robbed or even killed. Strangers are not trusted anywhere and some even go to the extent of chasing them out. The land owners or local residents, landlords, kings of the land might take advantage of their vulnerability and opress them.

In my country there are no aliens or sojourners, but there are refugees from neighboring countries like Bangladesh and Nepal and where poverty is high. They come to India to earn a decent living by working as laborers or prostitutes.

Church has a great responsibility towards these category of people. The church should provide resources so that they are relocated gainfully and provide them spiritual nourishment as well.

What dangers faced Abraham and his family as aliens and sojourners in Egypt and elsewhere?

They faced all the dangers of the unknown and unknown people (anything that people can do to one another). They wouldn't know who to trust except God.

Who might oppress them?

Certainly gangs and those with power who would use that power for evil.

What aliens and sojourners live in your community?

Me. I am rarely in one place for more than a few years. We have been here almost two and I still in many ways feel like an alien. It is a small community and rather set in its ways. I can't say I have made any friends. I do have acquitances that may become friends if we stay here long enough. However since my husband was told the day after we bought this house that they were going to replace him with a younger man at work it has been very uncerain.. One time I was told on a move "I have friends already". This was from someone I stopped on the street on a compound in Arabia. When I learned that gossip ruled there I understood her reluctance to be a friend to anyone she didn't know very well. I've learned you are no longer greeted with milk and cookies but rather with hostility or indifference.

I've experienced shunning when we moved into one state where they had bumper stickers saying Welcome to (name of state) now go home. There was no room for my kids in the school in the district where we bought our house and so the people where I elected to send them (thechoice was made on where I could get busing since I didn't have a car) would have nothing to do with me at any school functions. My daughter in second grade had already been in five schools. Because of the atmosphere I felt no choice but to switch her when room became available in our area 1 1/2 years later.

On another move I didn't do what one man in power wanted me to do. I felt it was not what God wanted and never dreaming that anyone would care. I didn't break any law except I defied the local power authority and suffered for years and my kids did also. This is what can happen in America where we have laws Think how Abraham felt in a lawless and Christless culture.

I remember the small efforts of kindnesses extended for me by a few in overseas countries. A smile, an effort to say hello in English or a hand on the shoulder. Those things were deeply felt and remembered because they were so far and few in between. I believe Christians have a great opportunity for winning souls to our wonderful Savior by just small acts of kindnesses and also prayer. And even if you don't see results that person will remember that smile or those kind words at a later date when they can maybe see more clearly.

God Bless,

Jen

Galatians 6:9

Q1. (12:10) What dangers faced Abraham and his family as aliens and sojourners in Egypt and elsewhere?

Without proper supplies and timing I would guess they could starve and as they are coming into this land wher rules of folks along the road being cared for they may actually trespass against these folks and become criminals.

Who might oppress them?

People not following God. It seems odd to others what we as Christians will not do and what we will do as we are a different people.

On a state basis we have many folks from Mexico as well as Central and South America but we also have many people form many nations including refugees. One fellow I know who was a project manager in his country building large communities and facilities is here and has been working folding towels in a hotel for the last seven years as that is the job the refugee folks got for him. On another level though I am a sojourner in my own church as there is a good history of families in the church of which I am not a family member.

Why did they come?

Wars, famine, economic unrest, religeous persecution.

Oddly enough the church itself may discriminate against them in that we do not look on those outside our family/church/nation as being deserving on the same level.

I have not been able to completely answer that question except to pray for them since my personal resources are like manna or perhaps closer at the moment to a bit of flour and oil to be made into cakes but it would seem that the answers could be worked out between church and government to allow them to be productive among us.

Abraham and his family could have been hurt or killed. Abraham was in a new land. People move for a better life. When someone move into your community I think the Church should welcome them. Invite them to their church. make them feel welcome. We should show love to them. As Christians we show love.

The dangers that faced Abraham and his family in a new land is the cultural

differences and prejudices that would be imposed upon them for the people

living in the land.

They would be oppressed by those who worshipped idols and who would

see the family of abraham as a threat to their way of life. Also , those who

are in political authority in the land would seek to rule over them.

People from everywhere in the world immigrate to Greater Toronto to find

a way of life, bringing with them their cultures, religions, traditions and

prejudices.

I believe most of them have come to improve on their lifestyle, and to find

prosperity for their families or to escape from the terror in their own countries.

I'm sure some of them are oppressed, but the laws in Canada give more

rights to them than the native people in our country. Canada had given

an open door to any kind of lifestyle, even that which is contrary to the Word

of God.

The church can open the doors to welcome all who are looking for answers

to this life beyond the materialistic world. We can reach out to them and

help assist them in their physical, spiritual and emotional needs.

Abraham and his family could have been hurt or killed. Abraham was in a new land. People move for a better life. When someone move into your community I think the Church should welcome them. Invite them to their church. make them feel welcome. We should show love to them. As Christians we show love.

As Pastor Ralph said, Abraham and his family were vulernable...wide open strangers where no one knew them. After having lived most of my life in the South (Arkansas) I made a move out of state a few years back. Being single, I never realized how alone I would feel and how vulernable. My daughter's young family lived there, but they were not very well established themselves. If I needed help, it wasn't like I could just pick up the phone and have a friend come running, as I was used to for so many years. When you move to a new place, you are going in bline to your surroundings. In Abraham's case, he was going to have to deal with ungodly people which was scary. He should have trusted God to take care of him.

Who might oppress them?

Those who were ungodly would oppress them, and those with authority...rulers, etc.

A few years ago our town built a huge power plant that brought in many, many Mexicans to build it. Also, there are many of them that work at the chicken plant here.

Why did they come?

Most of them were transfered from a previous job or were hired on from out of state through other sources.

They were not discriminated against by employers because they had jobs waiting for them upon arrival here. As for the rest of the community, I think people would have been much more open to them if they would have just made an effort to learn our language. For the most part, these people stuck together in their own groups, which I thought was kind of sad because it would have been nice to get to know some of them better. For the most part, our town was glad to see them. They worked hard, paid state and city taxes, and helped our economy.

Reach out by inviting them to your home, church or maybe a civic function. Even if a person does not speak your language, everyone recognizes a smile

:rolleyes:

Dangers that faced Abraham and his family as aliens and sojourners in Egypt and elsewhere were robbery, rape, and other sins evil people inflict on those they deem helpless. Local kings and warlords might oppress them. "Aliens and sojourners" that live in my community are ones who do not speak any English. They came for religious and economic opprtunity. They are being oppressed or discriminated against by employers and others in the community by stereotypes and prejudice. My church and I could embrace them with love and fellowship to "love those who are aliens".

Aliens in foreign lands were exposed to discrimination and many times taken advantage of unless they had sufficient armed forces for protection. The other form of protection was from alliances with locals.

We have many people in this country and in my community that have moved in from far away lands in the middle east and far east especially. Most came for better economic opportunities although some came because of religious persecution.

Unfortunately, such people are stereotyped. One manner of stereotyping is to expect these people to be used to living poor. In that way, employers can take advantage of them paying less wages than someone of similar skills native to this country.

We should treat everyone fairly and look upon everyone as created by God in His image.

Abraham faced the possibility of death because of the beauty of his wife and of being an alien, they would face oppression, ridicule. They would receive oppression from the natives of the land.

There are Mexicans and African Americans in the community in which I live. Came to the community because its a quiet town compared to the bigger cities near by, its a college town and its a small town.

Because of their race the discrimination is so very forthright. People in this town are so very cruel and the one's that have money and prestige are the worse and it even flows right into the religious sector. I being an African American know first hand how it feels but there were some wonderful people that just put their arms around me and showed love and respect and I in turn have always done and will continue to do the same toward others. That is what Our Heavenly Father wants us to do.

Q1= ABRAHAM AND HIS FAMILY WERE IN DANGER AS SOJOURNERS BECAUSE THEY HAD NO INTERNAL PROTECTION(ARMIES, LARGE FAMILIES OF PEOPLE WITH THEM). THEY WERE SUBJECT TO WHATEVER THE LEADER(KING) OF THAT NATION SO DESIRED. THEY COULD VERY EASILY BE DISCRIMINATED AGAINST BY THE NATIVE CITIZENS THERE AND SUFFER INTENSE CRUELTY BY THEIR HANDS AS WE SEE EVEN THIS DAY HAPPENING ALL OVER. WE HAVE HISPANICS, HOMOSEXUALS, CRYSTAL METH AND VARIOUS OTHER DRUG USERS AND SOME HOMELESS IN OUR AREA. COMING LIKE ALL OTHERS TO TRY AND FIND A LIFE OF SOME SORT OF PEACE AND HAPPINESS. SADLY MAJORITY OF THEM STILL GOING HUNGERY, WITHOUT A BED AT NIGHT, WALKING THE STREETS. LOOKED DOWN UPON FOR A VERIETY OF REASONS, MAINLY BECAUSE THEY ARE DIFFERENT NOT A "LOCAL". AS THE CHURCH WE SHOULD LOVE THEM UNCONDITIONALLY LIKE CHRIST LOVES US. TO LOOK BEYOND THE SIN AND SEE THE SINNER IN NEED OF A SAVIOR. FEED THEM, CLOTHE THEM. MEET THEIR NEEDS AND BE A WITNESS OF JESUS TO THEM PRAY WITH THEM.HE WHO SAVES SOULS IS WISE.

THE DANGERS THAT FACED ABRAHAM & HIS FAMILY WERE : BEING VULNERABLE TO ATTACK BY EVIL PEOPLE, GANGS SEEKING TO RAPE BOTH SEXES OF SOJOURNERS. THEY ALSO FACED FAMINE.

CERTAIN ETHNIC GROUPS HAVE MOVED TO OUR AREA BECAUSE AMERICA IS FREEDOM. FREEDOM IS NOT WHAT SOME COUNTRIES HAVE. SOMETIMES NOT SPEAKING OUR LANGUAGE THEY ARE SHUNNED IN THE COMMUNITY. WE SHOULD TRY HARDER TO COMMUNICATE AND SHOW GOD'S LOVE TO THEM. NOT ALL CRIME IS RELATED TO ONE GROUP OF PEOPLE SO WE SHOULDN'T JUDGE THEM. LEAVE THE JUDGING TO GOD!!

Those who are aliens in a foreign land are dependent upon the hospitality of the native people of that land. As aliens, they have no civil rights. Their treatment depends on the whim of the local king or warlord.

Abraham and his family were vulnerable to evil people who would try to take advantage of them.