JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. The Battle Is the Lord's

Pastor Ralph

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowing and believing that the battle is the LORD's should affect the way I approach conflicts, trials, and temptations. I think realizing that the power is not of me, knowing that I have no power to achieve victories in my life, makes me timid sometimes - even creates negative defeated thinking if I'm not careful. It might even make me think I don't need to participate because God has it all covered. But realizing my poverty of power is actually a good thing that should be the starting point for looking to Shaddai for victories. But even then, feeling so empowered by God may cause me to brashly run out ahead of Him in battle. There's a balance that's needed here. Knowing that the LORD will fight for me and win should not cause me to fall back and "play it safe". Nor should it cause me to get cocky and start thinking I can do anything I want.

The LORD has definitely called His people to engage in warfare with Him. He's always required participation. ("If my people will

Just knowing that the fight is fixed, and that we won, that I've been handed the victory in my hands and its up to me to hold it and not put it down or allow my lying adversary to cloud my mind with lies. I can live to the fullest, or as Christ said He came that I might have the abundant life or correctly His type of living. I will never give up or loose sight of the prize for which Christ has given His life to secure for me. I approach life with a positive view even it looks bleak. Above every cloud the Son is still shining, I've just got to continue to look up, beyond the hill's from whence cometh my help, it comes from the Lord. I learn to engage every day and not dread it, I anticpate the wonder of each day and not the troubles.

Being timid or fearful means we don't know who we are or what Christ has achieved for us, brashness means that we have become over confident (mostly in our selves), When God told the Jews not to go up to battle they went any way and was routed by their enemy. If in my boldness I over ride the Holy Spirit, I set myself up for a fall. There is two extremes and only one happy medium (middle) its paved with humilty.

I believe that the battles that the Lord fights are His, and that He intrudes into our affairs to bring about His purposes and that our deliverences from dangers or battles are part of His making us into His image. There are things that we get into that does not fit into His plan, wrong choices has consequences, we reap what we sow but with mercy. Short answer, yes there are battles God will not fight for us, but He's always there for us.

• 2 weeks later...

When ever we face trials, temptations, problems, conflicts,etc, we need to acknowledge the fact that the battle is the Lord's. He will fight for us.

However, we also must prepare ourselves to fight. We must be willing to partcipate in the battle.

We need to be armed spiritually with the weapons of Ephesians 6, ready to fight with God as our head.

Timidity get's it wrong because it involves lack of trust in the Lord.

Brashness gets it wrong because it involves relying on one's own strength rather than submitting to the Lord and trusting in His strength.

God will not fight our battles if it involves sin of any kind or if it is something that is contrary to His will for us.

Knowing that the battles is the Lords should give us the courage to face each new day with a need to do our best in everything we do even the things that cause us pain. The Lord will never give us more than we can handle and provides a way out in the things that we need to let go.

Brashness is by far the worst it causes me to forget to give God the Glory and to remember that its is about Him and not me. It make me forget to go to Him with all my problems and worries and not rely on myself.

Timidity cause me to forget that I have a all powerful God who never leaves nor forsakes me and that with Him on my side I can do all things. Without Him I can do nothing. It causes me to forget that He gives me power to fight each new battle and strength to over come my enimies.

The batttles that the Lord will not fight for me are the one I do not ask Him to help me with and the ones that are out of His plan for my life. If I remember to ask and that He is the Commander of Hosts then I will have no worries He will be by my side in all my troubles. Helping to strengthen my faith and giving me new courage for each new day.

The knowledge the the Battle is the Lords should affect our lives with the reality

that we need to keep close to God... Allow him to work in us.... change us.....

For if he is not at work in us any effort is really useless.

whether we timidly reveal to one individual or brashly tell all the crowd around us that

revealed truth's of God and how that they also can be saved and have a victorious life

all needs a base in our own heart.

If we are to timid the message may not come across at all or not enough to effect change in

another person.

if we are to brash, people can be turned off and consider our outer demeanor as something

they do not enjoy or that we are trying to be pushy and controlling and most people do not

wish to be controlled.

We must use enough positive force to let them know they need God and God's help and

we should be brash enough to reveal how God has helped us/ with leaving them to decide

whether or not to accept this God and his help. We need to be brash enough to get thru

how to accept and get ahold go God and salvation and how to procede in growing in God

Without affecting them to feel they must or else. We need to present the facts and to

step back and allow God to work in them as to when and where if they do accept God.

We want it to be them responding to God not them responding to our pressure.

But if they see it lived our in us and what we do it may be more effective than if we keep

verbally harping on them....

Q5. How should the knowledge that the battle is the Lord's affect the way we approach life? In what way do both timidity and brashness get it wrong? Are there any instances in which the Lord will not fight our battles?

When we acknowledge that the battle is the Lords, it encourages us in our everyday battles because we know that He is there to help and save us. The confidence that the battle is the Lord's is there and we solely rely on Him for victory.

When we become timid, it then means that we do not have confidence in God and for this we dont trust Him while being brash means to depend on our own strenght and effort and not on Him.

The Lord will not fight our battles when the battle is contrary to the plan and will of God for our lives, when the battle is meaningless.

• 4 weeks later...

ln all knowledge the battle is always the Lord',if we let the Lord fight our battles we should have nothing to worry about. In timidity and brashness we do not always beleive in ourselves and but not trying to let God handle everything for us. We should always let the Lord fight our battles for us and stop being disobedience.

• 1 month later...

How should the knowledge that the battle is the Lord's affect the way we approach life? In what way do both timidity and brashness get it wrong? Are there any instances in which the Lord will not fight our battles?

The knowledge of the battle being the Lord's builds my faith and reminds me that His power alone leads me through this life. Timidity is based in fear and fear is not of the Lord (He gives us a spirit of power, love, and a sound mind) and removes our eyes from Him and keeps us from doing His will. Brashness is based in pride and also removes our eyes from Him and drives us to do our own will and not the Lord's.

The Lord will not fight the battle of a prideful person; He resists the proud but gives grace to the humble. Therefore it is in humility that we have true power for it is on our knees and in our admitted weakness that He is strong. The Lord does not force Himself on us, but waits for us to give ourselves to Him.

• 1 month later...

We should approach life with a confident heart, knowing that God is fighting the battle and we wear His banner.

The focus is not us, we are just carrying the message. The focus is God.

We are not to presume God is on our side, but rather keep asking, am I on God

• 2 weeks later...

Q5. How should the knowledge that the battle is the Lord's affect the way we approach life? In what way do both timidity and brashness get it wrong? Are there any instances in which the Lord will not fight our battles?

Although we will be beside him as he battles the enemy without believing him and having full faith in him we will not reap the reawrds of his vistory. As it said in the lesson we need to prepare for battle as well.

I believe that the Psalm 44:4-7a certainly gives us the enitre answer.

"You are my King and my God. You command victories for your people. Onlyby your power can we push back our enemies; only in your name can we trample our foes. I do not trust my bow; I do not count on my sword to sav me. It is you who gives us victory over our enemies.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe the Word. The Word tells us the battle is the LORD's, this does not mean that we sit back and to nothing, the Bible tells us we do battle against principalities, against the evil one. But God is the one who wins these battles, we can't do this on our own in the flesh. It is only with God on our side that the battle can be won. It is only God in us that wins the battle. So do not sit back and do nothing. But do all things according to the Word and win battles for the LORD.

If we are timid we will not go forth with the Word, our faith will be little, and God wants our faith to be STRONG. If we are timid, we will be afraid to walk in, trust in the Word to do what the Word says we must do. If we are brash, then our pride gets in the way, we take credit for what only God can do. We think we can do it without God.

The Bible teaches us that strong faith makes God move. If we want God to move in our lives, and that means fighting our battles for us, then we must not doubt His Word, we must have strong faith, meditate on His Word, speak the Word. When we do this we cause God to move. Jesus said if we have the faith of a mustard seed and do not doubt and believe we have recieved we can move mountians. I believe this applies to all things. God will fight all our battles if we only believe.

Being sure that our battles are the Lord

• 2 weeks later...

If we know that the battle is the Lord's , we will face the world with more faith in the Lord and not focus on our problems .

There are times that we underestimate God's power to handle crises in our lives.We should leave everything in God's hand and we will not fear any danger that may come our ways .

• 3 months later...

Knowing that the battle is the Lord's gives me confidence to do my work and face life. Now I am nolonger timid to do what i believe is right and pleasing to God because I will surely have help from Him. I think the challenge is knowing whether God is on our side. I believe that this requires us Christians to continue to discover the will of God in our respective lives through Bible study and public and private worship.

Q5. How should the knowledge that the battle is the Lord's affect the way we approach life?

Knowing that the battle is the Lord's we should approach life with confidence.

In what way do both timidity and brashness get it wrong?

Timidity and brashness show that the trust in not in the Lord but in the flesh.

Are there any instances in which the Lord will not fight our battles?

The Lord will not fight our battles when we are out of His will.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

We can be confident that, in the end, the LORD will be the victor. There are a lot of things we don't understand. There are times we really don't know what the LORD would have us do and we may not see Him at work. We can know that the LORD will bring judgment and will bring good/righteousness - in HIS time. There is only power when it is following the LORD's leadership. According to the Bible, the LORD requires obedience and purity before Him. There can be no sin "in the camp".

• 3 months later...

I think we should learn to look up to God first in every situation. Maybe even wait for a nod from the Lord. The fact that the battle is the Lord's means that however difficult a situation gets, we are not alone. God is there, right there with us, fighting for us. That is a great comfort!

Very often, however, when we are in a bad situation we do not see God. We struggle through the situation and think we are on our own. But when we look back later, we suddenly see that the Lord was there, fighting with us, fighting for us. He took all the major blows and we only got hit by what we can handle.

We need to learn to focus much more on God. So much that we automatically FIRST go the the Lord when a bad situation hits us. We need learn not just to say that we are totally dependent on God, but to BE totally dependent in God.

Whatever happens in our lives, we are never alone. God has promised that He is with us. And God is not a man that He should lie. He keeps his promises. Every single one of them.

Timidity makes us freeze up. We become paralyzed. We hide in our shell and do not even dare to ask God for help. For why would God help someone like me? I am just....... (fill in whatever fits you)

Brashness is the opposite to timidity in a way . Merriam-Webster defines it as "lacking restraint and discernment", and "tactless" and "aggressively assertive". With brashness there is a high risk that we start running ahead of ourselves, and, more importantly, ahead of God. It is acting, without thinking/contemplating. We do not take time to bring things to God, but we go!

Numbers 14:40-45 (New Living Translation):

40 Then they got up early the next morning and went to the top of the range of hills. "Let's go," they said. "We realize that we have sinned, but now we are ready to enter the land the LORD has promised us."

41 But Moses said, "Why are you now disobeying the LORD's orders to return to the wilderness? It won't work.

42 Do not go up into the land now. You will only be crushed by your enemies because the LORD is not with you.

43 When you face the Amalekites and Canaanites in battle, you will be slaughtered. The LORD will abandon you because you have abandoned the LORD."

44 But the people defiantly pushed ahead toward the hill country, even though neither Moses nor the Ark of the LORD's Covenant left the camp.

45 Then the Amalekites and the Canaanites who lived in those hills came down and attacked them and chased them back as far as Hormah.

This is a good example of God not fighting for us (Israel in this case).

The twelve spies that went into Canaan to check out the land, came back with many confirmations of what God had said about the land. But ten of them said it was too dangerous to enter. Only Caleb and Joshua: "God is with us, He will fight for us. Let's go and take the land as God commands". The other 10 spies, however, spread all kinds of rumours and so the people were convinced and wanted to appoint other leaders to lead them back to Egypt.

God was furious and punished Israel. They were to spend 40 years in the desert, until every single first generation Exodus Israelite (accept Caleb and Joshua) would be dead.

The next morning Israel stood ready to go and take the land. But this was too late and so again they went against the will of God. And God warned them: "I will NOT go with you". Israel, however was stubborn, and went anyhow. They were accordingly thrashed by the Amalekites and the Canaanites.

So God does not always fight for us. Sometimes our battle is not his. Other examples are: The Assyrian captivity of Israel (God fought on the Assyrian side) and the Babylonian captivity of Juda and Benjamin (God fought on the Babylonian side).

Sin, going against God's will and command, will cause God to withdraw. In worst cases He might fight on the other side. When we remain sinful God cannot join us in our battles.

The knowledge that the battle is the Lord's, and that He is there to fight for me, is one of the things that I am most sure of in life. I do not doubt for a second that the Lord is with me, because I have determined to remain steadfastly in Him. However, the application of this is perhaps the geatest thing I am wrestling with right now in many areas of my life. This knowledge, in theory, should produce confidence, peace, and also humility in our lives. Now as I consider how both timidity and brashness can factor in, I see that one of my greatest problems is determining the line between brashness and boldness/courage. Many times, God places things in front of us to test our faith in Him, and when we follow, our actions may seem extremely brash to the world, although they are truly a beautiful picture of obedience and courage on a Christian's part. At other times, we may come against opposition, and it may not be a test, but disobedience, whether outright or subtle. This would be the time when the Lord will not take up our cause and fight for us.

So the question is, how does one determine whether a difficult struggle is a test of our loyalty to/faith in our Commander or an indication that we have become disoriented in the battle, and either have become separated from Him, are no longer fighting with/for Him, or are no longer following/listening to His orders? I have not figured out the answer to this one yet, and I suspect I will spend my whole life learning.

Mat 25:23 His master said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.'

While trying to figure this out, I think the main thing to do do is be faithful in the small things. None of us will receive great, crucial assignments in the battle, until we have proven our worth in the small, humbling matters. We may be asked to serve our fellow soldiers before we fight on the front lines. We must prove that we exhibit the same character as our Commander in order to represent Him in great matters.

Mat 25:31-40 "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.' Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?' And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'

We may be confident that as we fight with The Lord Our Banner raised high in our hands, we do not fight to the death, but through the death, and on to a glorious eternity with our Commander and King,

There should be an unbelievable freedom in our circumstances. God stands up for us against our enemies and all that He requires is that we trust Him and allow Him to take control of the situation. Timidity and brashness are the result of fear and ego, neither of which are of any use to us or God.

I think the story of Joshua and Caleb is a perfect example of this. When they and the other 10 spies had returned from 40 days of scouting the Promised Land, they reported that the people who dwelt there were very strong and the cities were large and well fortified. Even though they found the treasures and richness of the land just as God had said it would be, the fear of the unknown was too much for all but Joshua and Caleb. I love how Caleb handles the situation. He basically shuts up the fearful, cowering Israelites and says, "Let us go up at once and possess [the land]; we are well able to conquer it." (Numbers 13:30) A casual reader might see this as brashness or ego, but Caleb is simply remembering God's promise that the land was already theirs, all they had to do was obey God and go in and take possession of it. Instead, the timidity of the other spies outweighed the faith of Joshua and Caleb, and the Israelites would wander the wilderness for 40 years, until only the two men who took God at His Word would enter the Promised Land.

The Lord is not under obligation to fight any of our battles. He does so because He loves us and because we have accepted Jesus. I tend to think that when we have ignored His commands and willfully disobeyed Him, He allows us to suffer the consequences of our actions, even when those consequences may be extremely painful. I think that when we sincerely repent and come back to Him, God can "clean up our messes" and take us back into a right relationship with Him.

The main thing we must learn is to get over ourselves. We are not the main character of this life as if we were in a staged performance and without us there would be no performance. The Lord has top billing, given to Him by God the Father. Timidity and or brashness have no place in our lives because God is in control. We need to stand in His strength and might. It

• 2 weeks later...

Having knowledge that the battle is the Lord's is that we have already have victory and should not get discourage but turn to GOd for our strength. When timidity or brashness enter the picture we can tend to fall off the path that GOd has placed before us and loose our focus on God and have the battle go on longer that expected. God will not fight our battles when we are walking around in darkness and we do not let him fight for us.