JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Luke 13:24-27) Why do you think Jesus characterizes the entrance to the Kingdom here as "narrow"? Why will many people "try to enter and will not be able to"? Why would people delay entering until it is too late?

The gate that leads to eternal life is called

Why do you think Jesus characterizes the entrance to the Kingdom here as narrow?

I think Jesus declared that entrance to the Kingdom as being narrow because there is only one way into it. He state that "He is the Way." Many of that time and as well of this time have multiple perceived notions based from misinterpretation of what God has said and or various renditions through the commandments of man. The way is narrow because it is through Christ Jesus, what He has taught, by way of the examples He gave us to live.

Striving to enter through the narrow gates is not an effort or endeavor to save one's self by good works. Love the Lord, love others, and love thy self, turn away from all that displeases the Lord, when there is slippage turn to Him vise away from Him. By His grace strive to live as He did and as He has taught. Good works if not according to His will are dead works (Hebrews 6:1; 9:14)

On the other hand no one can bring flesh nor the works of the flesh into the Kingdom. Self, our self-centeredness, pride, lusts, hate or especially our own righteousness cannot enter in

The way is narrow because man is often tempted by what is before him, i.e. his own flesh, the ways of the world, the devil and his influence. Some do not utilize the measure that God has provided when temptation arises and other do not utilize the measures He has provided when (if) we slip. Some do and that's a wonderful thing.

Why will many people try to enter and will not be able to?

A person can know something about Jesus and not be saved (there were onlookers of that day who knew various elements of His earthly ministry). You can be in the presence of Jesus and not be saved (there were many of that day who saw Him, and or heard His message). So it was then, so it is now many do not know Him, they do not have a relationship with Him, nor do they strive to have a relationship with Him. Many people will try to enter the Kingdom and will not be able to because they do not know Him, they do not love Him, they have not repented of their sins, nor have they asked Jesus to be Lord of their lives. Many desire Him to be Saviour but want allow Him to be Lord. They will not be able to because they do not know Christ, nor does He know them, there is not an intimate relationship.

Why will many people “try to enter and will not be able to”?

Other passages of Scripture reaffirms the truth of Luke 13:24 seeking the Lord (1st Chronicles 28:9; Isaiah 55:6. Acts 10:35 also conveys this sentiment) however many will not find Him. Hebrews 11:6 tells us that those who diligently seek the Lord will be rewarded, is this a contradiction of Luke 13:24 and John 7:34. NO!! Proverbs 14:12 There is a way that people think is right. But that way leads only to death. There are those who will seek Him on their own terms and or by works of their righteousness. Some come to Christ while mercy and grace is being extend in a repentant state, then there are others in a remorse state. When mercy has ended, when grace is no longer extended it is too late to strive to enter in.

Why would people delay entering until it is too late?

Many delay because they lean unto their own understanding and others do not want to change. Their lives may not necessarily be immoral, it's just that they just will not accept Christ Jesus who is the Way. They will not seek to know Him, they will not strive to know Him. One day those who have lived according to their own understanding; those who do not want to change; and those who refuse to receive Him appear at judgment perhaps this will be a light bulb moment. At this they will seek to enter in; but it will be too late, the door will be shut; and because they did not make diligence to establish a relationship with Jesus, shall not be able to "enter in". The time is now to repent, to live, man must be urgent to do what God tells us.

Q2. (Luke 13:24-27) Why do you think Jesus characterizes the entrance to the Kingdom here as “narrow”? Why will many people “try to enter and will not be able to”? Why would people delay entering until it is too late?

Jesus characterizes the entrance as narrow because many from all over the world will be called to the banquet entrance(The entrance to The kingdom of God)but He wants us to know it won't be easy to get in (it is not a free ride into the banquet room, you may have obstacles along the way - a narrow door, a crowd of people) but we must strive, fight our way in, we may have to lose a few lb.(our baggage)or squeeze through a crowd to get in but we must do whatever it takes to enter! Fight the good fight! NEVER GIVE UP! Do whatever it takes!!

People will try to enter and will not be able to,they refuse to go through obstacles (problems in life), to give up anything (mainly their sin) and want EASY entrance, they finally give up and walk away. They are not persistent. They are not repentant. They put off entering because they do not want to do whatever it takes to gain entrance, they think they can wait, but there is NO time.The Second coming of our Lord can come at any time and we must be ready,NOW. It is URGENT!!

Q2. (Luke 13:24-27)

Why do you think Jesus characterizes the entrance to the Kingdom here as "narrow"?

It is an entrance that is narrow in the sense that it is not broad and open to everyone. It takes effort to enter, we have to fight off our opponents, Satan, sin, and even our old sinful nature. This does not mean we have to earn our salvation, but rather that we have to turn away from sin, repent, and turn to Jesus, placing our faith in Him as our Saviour.

Why will many people "try to enter and will not be able to"?

Unfortunately there will be many unbelievers who do not want to give up their ways of wickedness and reject our Lord

Q2. (Luke 13:24-27) Why do you think Jesus characterizes the entrance to the Kingdom here as "narrow"?

I believe He was emphasizing that only "One road leads to Heaven", not all or many "roads". He had said "I Am the way, the truth and the Life....the ONLY way to the Father". By this He was saying to give up on your flesh, works, lofty ideals, great ideas, idols, charms, ancestors, religiosity, deprivation, wishing, false gods, or whatever, to try to gain entrance into the Kingdom.... the ONLY door to Heaven is through faith and acceptance of His finished work on the cross.

Why will many people "try to enter and will not be able to"?

That is the saddest thing! Jesus is an offense to many, and some would rather try to do it their own way, through some of the things I noted above. The fallen nature detests admitting weakness and wants to be in control. We now live in an age where taking responsibility for our actions is abhorrent. It's much more palatable to blame others and shift responsibility elsewhere. This leads to pride fully refusing to look inward at our own shortcoming.The narrow gate requires admitting we're sinners and need salvation, and will have to give up control to the King of Kings and Lord of Lords who bought us with His blood.The list could go on and on. (We war not with flesh and blood but with powers and principalities...and that powerful enemy blinds eyes and hardens hearts through deception to keep the truth of the narrow gate hidden)

Why would people delay entering until it is too late?

The Amplified version says "Strive to enter by the narrow door (FORCE yourselves through it), for many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able." Jesus created us, knows our frame, and was more than giving a heads up that most will try their own method of becoming righteous, not realizing that their "day of reckoning" is their next breath, and there will be no time to follow Him through the gate. Procrastination will keep many from entering because they ran out of time.

Q2. (Luke 13:24-27) Why do you think Jesus characterizes the entrance to the Kingdom here as “narrow”? Why will many people “try to enter and will not be able to”? Why would people delay entering until it is too late?

Because the way of entry is very specific, not just anyone can get in.

Because they do not take His word seriously, and at the last minute they try to enter without a change of heart.

People don't want to give up any of life's pleasures, but they don't necessarily want to miss the invitation just in case!

The narrowness of the gate is not because it is a small gate. It's narrow because there is only one way, Jesus said I am the way, the truth and the life. One must have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, have Him in your heart and mind and filled with the Holy Spirit. There is a commercial on tv right now where she says "I believe there are many paths to God". Jesus called that the wide road. The people that are not looking for His coming are the ones that will not be able to enter. Everyone needs to believe they are THAT generation.

Q2 Jesus characterizes the entrance to the Kingdom here as "narrow" to emphasize on how

one has to struggle to strive and enter.

Many people "try to enter and will not be able to" because there are conditions

attached to it. The Kingdom of God requires repentance and change of heart. All

one needs to do is to be faithful and obedience to the teachings of God.

People delay entering until it is too late is because they are not willing to repent

and give up their old ways of living and still want to be influenced and cling to

the world.

I think the narrow door is through Jesus and Jesus alone. It is about relationship....that's why we are warned He will say "I never knew you." But...I'm always hesitant to not expound on that because so many think that saying they know Jesus is merit to get in, yet live their old sinful life still. I don't think one can truly accept and know Jesus without being changed, nor once we know Him and His love will be able to resist being moved to want to change desperately! It's not that we are saved by works or repentance, but knowing Him we are changed and thankfully and cheerfully do good works and are very sorrowful when confronted with our sins!

I think that those who try to enter but won't be able to, will not have a love relationship with God. This is an intimacy He wants with us. They would have had "religion" or they may have done great works and even miracles....but if they aren't in love "with" Him....they didn't know Him nor did He know them.

Why do people delay entering before it's too late? Like other parables teach us, they aren't watchful or prepared. They think they have time and don't take seriously that Jesus may come at any time for them or their days here may end. They perish really, from lack of knowledge and that sad....our reason to answer the call and say "Send me!"

I think Jesus characterized the entrance to the Kingdom as "narrow" because only a small minority will be saved in contrast to the masses of humanity.

Many people will "try to enter and not be able to" because they will be depending on their works or how good they think they are for their salvation,rather than accepting Christ as their Savior.

I believe people delay entering until it is too late because they may be having too much fun sinning or they have pet sins they are unwilling to give up or else they feel they have plenty of time.

John 14:6 Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me." Some think, that good works or going to church every Sunday is going to get them in Heaven. There is only one way and that is through Jesus. That is why Jesus said, narrow the gate. You can enter only one way. Jesus is the light, and some like the darkness, it hides their evil deeds. They will use all kinds of excuses. The sad thing, is that they will spend eternity sperated from God. :unsure: