JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Delegating Leadership

• 4 weeks later...

Q4. (Exodus 18:13-27; Numbers 11:10-30) Why do you think it took Moses so long to delegate his judicial role to others? What were the qualifications of these judges? How is Moses' role similar to the role of leaders in Ephesians 4:11-12? What is the importance of the anointing of the Spirit in Christian leadership?

Moses as leader, was extremely pre-occupied with the grumbling and complaining of the stiffnecked people he was commanded to lead. I think it was entirely possible that Moses overlooked the possibility of delegation. Moses also had not been given the command from God to delegate judicial responsibility to others. I believe Moses was humble and .."very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth". (Num. 12:3). Consequently, Moses was not the kind of person to harbor seflish and conceited motives.

The judges were to be godly (god-fearing) men, committed to truth and knowledgeable of its instruction. Capable people who were not lovers of money, honest, hating dishonest gain, and were not covetous.

Moses' role is similar to Eph. 4:11-12 in that Moses was on a special mission as the personal representative of God; and, at some point during the exodus served as an Apostle, Prophet, Evangelist, Pastor, and Teacher. (Apostle - person sent to accomplish a mission representing the authority of the sender. Prophet - a human instrument declaring the word of the Lord. Evangelist - preacher of the gospel of the good news. Pastor - shepherd, leader, one who teaches, unifies and trains members to be mature in faith. Teacher - one who gives instruction.)

The anointing of the Spirit is important in Christian leadership because the Spirit of God changes believers and leaders in that they become empowered with the presence and power of God. The Spirit can be identified as being at work in an individual when they can give love, joy, self-control, patience..(Gal. 5:22-23). The Spirit of God equips leaders to serve and build up the body of Christ, and empowers leaders to accomplish specific tasks. Consequently, the anointing of the Spirit is vital to; and, the only way to the success of Christian leadership.

Q4. (Exodus 18:13-27; Numbers 11:10-30) Why do you think it took Moses so long to delegate his judicial role to others? What were the qualifications of these judges? How is Moses’ role similar to the role of leaders in Ephesians 4:11-12? What is the importance of the anointing of the Spirit in Christian leadership?

Why do you think it took Moses so long to delegate his judicial role to others? He did not know he could or should.

What were the qualifications of these judges?

The qualifications: Exodus 18:21.[/b]

Capable.

God-fearing, that is, those who revere God.

Honest, trustworthy, who not only refuse bribes, but hate the very idea.

Accountable. They share the task with Moses, rather than displacing him. Moses remains the ultimate judge in the system

How is Moses’ role similar to the role of leaders in Ephesians 4:11-12? Very similar. Roles broken down for manageability.

What is the importance of the anointing of the Spirit in Christian leadership? It is God's business; His business principles should be applied. In addition, the "product" in Christian leadership is the human soul attached to Eternity. It is precious cargo that must be handled with care. God is serious about souls! :D

"I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance." Luke 15:7 (NKJV)

I think it took him awhile because God had sent him--no others. Perhaps he wasn't sure if that would be what God wanted. Sometimes those who love us can see things we cannot & when Jethro saw the strain on Moses, he suggested delegation to him.

The qualifications were: capable, God-fearing, accountable & honest

Moses' role was similar to that of leaders in the church--they must delegate the jobs to be done & find thoe with those certain gifts.

The Spirit's annointing is necessary! We need to be led of God--not out to accomplish on our own.

Moses had been a leader for a long time and it is safe to say that during all of this time he sat in judgment of many conflicts both simple and complex. I don't believe that he had the Messiah complex but I do maintain that a)he wanted what was best for his people and B) he had not thought of it until Jethro brought it to his attention; encouraging him to select capable, God-fearing, honest, accountable elders to act as souse judges while directing the harder cases to Supreme Judge Moses.

Like those leaders mentioned in Ep. 4:11-12, who had received a select many gifts from Christ to allow them to operate in different capacities of the ministry, Moses, too, was assigning the judges a gift (from God, knowing Moses, selected through prayer) to help the body of Christ to be a stronger unit. It would be through the Holy Spirit that each of these individuals would lead with confidence, and authority for the Spirit leads and will help to ease the burder of the load from these individuals.

Q4. (Exodus 18:13-27; Numbers 11:10-30) Why do you think it took Moses so long to delegate his judicial role to others? I think that this was all a part of God's will. It was important that Moses' relationship with God was firm and well established before Moses started delegating some of the responsibilities. The Spirit of the Lord in Moses had to be strong and firm before a piece could be taken away and given to others.

What were the qualifications of these judges? Capable, God fearing, honest and accountable

How is Moses

Q4. (Exodus 18:13-27; Numbers 11:10-30) Why do you think it took Moses so long to delegate his judicial role to others?

I think it may be because it was not yet God’s timing for Moses to do this, it is important we stay in God’s timing, or we may find ourselves taking the headship by ourselves.

I believe Moses was waiting on the LORD’s leading, I believe it was God’s perfect timing that Jethro came to Moses when he did, Jethro came speaking wisdom to Moses, “if you will do this and God command you, then you will be able to endure, and all this people shall go to their place in peace” -- any sooner may not have been the right time for Moses, or for those to whom Moses would call, those who must have the qualifications to take on this roll of leadership.

These judges were to have the following qualifications:

1. Men who are able to judge, who have the strength and valor to do so.

2. Men who “fear God,” who through their reverence to God are obedient to His laws.

3. Men who are trustworthy, they would faithfully fulfill their calling.

4. Men who hate injustice, covetousness, dishonesty, and lucre.

How is Moses' role similar to the role of leaders in Ephesians 4:11-12?

Some are called to be apostles, some are called to be prophets and evangelists, some are called to be pastors and teachers, but we are all called to love God and follow after His laws, we are called to love each other, perfecting of the saints, building up the ministry, the body of Christ.

What is the importance of the anointing of the Spirit in Christian leadership?

Just before Jesus ascended, he breathed the “Spirit” on the disciples and he told them to wait, do nothing until they be “filled” with the Holy Spirit.

They were to wait for God’s perfect timing to be “filled” with the Spirit.

Obedience to the leading of the Spirit is a sign of a great leader.

We who are filled with the Spirit are called to walk in the Spirit – It is most important we wait upon the LORD, and when He calls, we are to be obedient to the leading of the Spirit, or our leadership would be that of “self”

Q4. (Exodus 18:13-27; Numbers 11:10-30) Why do you think it took Moses so long to delegate his judicial role to others?

I just don't think Moses thought about it. Though he was a reluctant leader, I believe his heart's desire was to follow after God and to serve with excellence. He had been given authority as leader, and as such may have felt the entire burden rested on his shoulders as God had not led him to delegate his authority.

They were to be able men chosen from all the people, God fearing men of truth who hate unjust gain (could not be bribed!)

Moses was to lead and teach the people, training them in God's ways. The leaders in Ephesians are to fully equip the saints toward the work of ministering and building up Christ's body the church.

The anointing is the power of the Holy Spirit....without that, all service is done in the flesh and is of little or no avail! The Spirit alone gives life.

Q4. (Exodus 18:13-27; Numbers 11:10-30) Why do you think it took Moses so long to delegate his judicial role to others? What were the qualifications of these judges? How is Moses

Moses probably thought he had to do it all himself. God had called him and he felt he had to do everything that needed doing. Also, although we're not told as such, it could have been the case that the very elders Moses appointed were the ones through whom the people complained to him.

They had to be capable, honest God-fearing and accountable.

How is Moses

I think Moses really didn't have an idea he could delegate roles to others. At this point he was THE leader, anointed by God in that role. As with most of us, I think God let him get to the point of seeing and experiencing he couldn't do it alone. Not that he was being disobedient in any way but he was learning about leadership. We do too. We start out with good intentions of excellence and soon learn we need to say "HELP!" and ask for qualified help to come along side of us. God just took him to the next step in leadership. The adding of others.

These judges were to have good spiritual qualifications with integrity of character. They were to be God fearing, trustworthy and specifically mentioned was "one who could refuse a bribe, hating the very idea of bribery!" How very important! Even today! Not only for money or unjust gains but in light of the "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" mentality so prevalent today to push human worldly agendas through.

How is Moses leadership like Ephesians 4:11,12? He was appointed by God, given the gifts he was to operate in, so that the body of people he led could be built up and equipped for their roles also. Often sadly overlooked in churches today. Leaders get bogged down in protecting ownership of positions and forget to mentor and equip (especially future generations)of members so that the whole of the church will be built up attaining the fullness of Christ and using their gifts to grow even more. This makes a living organism of the body of Christ.

Without the Holy Spirit's anointing....forget it. What is of the flesh will birth more flesh. But if of the Spirit, then the Holy Spirits power births life. It reminds me that some have a form of godliness, but with no power. If "religion" is leading, then the good fruit won't be there, but if the Spirit reigns, then it will be.

Q4. (Exodus 18:13-27; Numbers 11:10-30) Why do you think it took Moses so long to delegate his judicial role to others? What were the qualifications of these judges? How is Moses' role similar to the role of leaders in Ephesians 4:11-12? What is the importance of the anointing of the Spirit in Christian leadership?

Answer:

1.Why do you think it took Moses so long to delegate his judicial role to others?

Moses,try to take the leadership as God has given Him.He might not trusted anybody,to do His work.Without God instruction,Moses take it that God only wants Him to do the leadership,until physically he give up....

Numbers 11:14-15- I am not able to bear all this people alone , because it is too heavy for me. 15 And if thou deal thus with me, kill me, I pray thee, out of hand , if I have found favour in thy sight ; and let me not see my wretchedness.

Also the people after Moses,give in to their grumblings has become spoiled,and keep on complaining for every small things..and Moses must be fed up..

2.What were the qualifications of these judges?

They must be,RECOGNIZED AS LEADERS...AND SHOULD BE SPIRIT FILLED.

3.How is Moses' role similar to the role of leaders in Ephesians 4:11-12?

Eph 4:11-12- And he gave some , apostles ; and some, prophets ; and some, evangelists ; and some, pastors and teachers ; 12 For the perfecting of the saints , for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

Moses role is similar,in a sense that he leads the People,and represent God at the same time,likewise with the apostles,prophets,pastors,evangelist...They lead,and represent by teaching the Gospel...

4.What is the importance of the anointing of the Spirit in Christian leadership?

Without the annointing and guidance of the Holy Spirit,a Leader cannot function.Even Jesus doesnt start His Ministry,without the Holy Spirit.

Luke 4:14- And Jesus returned in the powerof the Spirit into Galilee : and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about

Q4. (Exodus 18:13-27; Numbers 11:10-30)

Why do you think it took Moses so long to delegate his judicial role to others?

Mostly because of the traditional way this judicial role was managed at the time. l also feel that Moses did not initially have the backing of his people, as we read earlier in Exodus 6:9, and therefore did not also have the support of the leaders.

They had to be capable men who are also God-fearing, trustworthy and honest. Men who hated and refused to be bribed.

To be effective in leadership Moses had to learn to delegate. His aim was to teach, train, and equip others so that the work-load could be spread amongst the leaders as well.

The gifts of the Spirit are supernatural. They enable a man to do what would be humanly impossible for him.

It took Moses so long to delegate his judicial role to others because he had to live with the tradition of that time. I think it was a way to be accepted by all people if they have access to you as a top leader. It then needed time to change that. And I think the accepted time blessed by God came when the suggestion to delegate was made by Jethro.

The judges were to be capable, God-fearing, honest and accountable men.

Moses' role is similar to the role of leaders in Ephesians 4:11-12 in that, in both cases the leaders are required to delegate some of the functions in order to achieve a common goal. It is not ideal to concentrate all the functions on your own.

The importance of the anointing of the Spirit in Christian leadership is to enable Christian leaders to combine natural wisdom with listening to what the Holy Spirit says so that they can observe God's direction and His power to accomplish their tasks.

The "mountain of God" has to be Mt. Sinai where Moses had the burning bush experience and where God promised to bring Moses and the Israelites after their liberation from Egypt.

Jethro, an experienced priestly ruler and judge over his people, recognized that Moses had a problem in the way he was managing his human resources. Moses' inefficient system was having a debilitating effect on Moses and was imposing hard. The men had to be capable, God-fearing, trustworthy and incorruptible.

These are the same qualifications that we should demand from men and women who are in positions of civil and religious leadership on the people who were kept waiting for a just hearing concerning their grievances.

That the people should know that Yahweh is their God and not just the God of their fathers.

Pax.

Moses took so long to decide to delagate his functions to others probably because he felt that God wanted him to personally carry out the functions by himself.

The qualities required for any one to be a judge, he had to be : capable, God fearing, honest and accountable.

Moses'role was similar to that of the leaders in eph 4:11-12 in that they were both equiped to gromm others to leadership roles.

The annointng of the Holy Spirit in Christian leadership is that such annointed leaders will be spiritually led and will take the right decisions that are not based on their own wisdom but by the wisdom of the Holy spirit.

Q4. (Exodus 18:13-27; Numbers 11:10-30)

Why do you think it took Moses so long to delegate his judicial role to others?

He was taking the whole role on himself not realizing that he could delegate

They were tribal leaders, elders having respect from their peers

How is Moses