JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. (Galatians 4:26-29) Do you think Jewish Christians regarded Gentile Christians as second-class citizens? What is the basis of our unity in Christ? In what way does this unity pull down barriers? Do any groups continue to be regarded as second-class citizens in our congregations? What should we do about this?

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Galatians 4:26-29) Do you think Jewish Christians regarded Gentile Christians as second-class citizens?

Yes, I think the Jewish Christians regarded the Gentile Christians as second-class citizens,because Paul went to such

length to tell them both, that in Christ we they are all one.

What is the basis of our unity in Christ?

Our unity in Christ is based on the fact that we are all baptized, united, clothed and hidden in Christ.

In what way does this unity pull down barriers?

This unity pulls down barriers because no one can say he/she is seen any differently in God's eyes or is respected above any other by God. He is all that matters.

Do any groups continue to be regarded as second-class citizens in our congregations?

In some instances persons who are financially challenged are regarded as second-class citizens in our congregations.

What should we do about this?

We should remember that in God's eyes financial status does not count.

Q1. (Galatians 4:26-29)

Do you think Jewish Christians regarded Gentile Christians as second-class citizens?

Yes, I think Jews Christians regarded Gentile Christians as second-class citizens as, because the Gentiles were not circumsised, the Jews were not ready to come together with them in any way; I think they (Jews), regarded Gentiles as outcasts.

The basis of our unity in Christ is our baptism into Christ.

This unity pulls down barriers in that, Christ removes hostility between us and also removes our dependence on the law, but in faith.

Do any groups continue to be regarded as second-class citizens in our congregations?

The posibility is there.

We should continue to speak vigourously about the unity that is borught by our baptism in Christ.

Q1. (Galatians 4:26-29) Do you think Jewish Christians regarded Gentile Christians as second-class citizens? What is the basis of our unity in Christ? In what way does this unity pull down barriers? Do any groups continue to be regarded as second-class citizens in our congregations? What should we do about this?

1. Yes

2. We are all sinners redeemed by the atoning work of Christ on the cross. We are all one in Christ.

3. No one can boast or think more highly of himself than others.

4. Yes

5.We who know better should treat all equal and as loved equally by God.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

I need prayer.

A waste of words is a waste of time; Jesus said it for all times......There are those who will attempt to inject their self serving version of it but JUST READ THE BIBLE FOR YOURSELF!! There is so much power in that!!

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise." (3:28-29)

Enough said; I can not say it better!!

(Galatians 4:26-29) Do you think Jewish Christians regarded Gentile Christians as second-class citizens?

Yes, however I do not believe that all did.

I truly understand what is meant when I see or hear the word gentile, however for me, from the little understanding that I have it does not compute, the term Gentile Christian. In my understanding, which I hope aligns with God, the term Gentile Christian is an oxymoron. In fact I believe the same with Jewish Christian. When one is baptized into Christ they are Christians, a child of God, a son of the Most High.

I understand that to say Jewish Christian it is a measure of distinction. However the word gentile if to be summed up is defined as "the nations", beginning from the Old Testament meaning a nation not of Abraham; in the New Testament meaning literally Greek, savoring of the nature of pagans, alien to the worship of the true God, heathenish. In basically the term gentile was regarded as one who did not believe in God, they believed in gods.

King James Dictionary reads - In the scriptures, a pagan; a worshipper of false gods; any person not a Jew or a Christian; a heathen. The Hebrews included in the term goim or nations, all the tribes of men who had not received the true faith, and were not circumcised. The Christians translated goim by the L. gentes, and imitated the Jews in giving the name gentiles to all nations who were not Jews nor Christians. In civil affairs, the denomination was given to all nations who were not Romans.

When regarding myself I do not do so as a African American Christian, I am simply a Christian. I will never refer to any Christian not born a Hebrew as a gentile, because if they are born into Christ they know Him or they are striving to know Him as did Paul Philippians 3:10. As Christians "Our new identity is in him, not in our personal distinctions." Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. Again I understand when reading and also when I hear Gentile, it is merely a way to distinguish, however I belief that it a negative distinction and also an incorrect one, those baptized into Christ are no longer Gentile!

As we are baptized in Him it is an outward expression of faith, our belief in Him; that we believe in the faith of Jesus Christ, we believe in His work on the cross.

"For [Christ] himself is our peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace, and in this one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility." (Ephesians 2:14-16)

The barriers are pulled down when individual truly follow Christ, let me say it a different way, when individuals truly imitate Christ. When I say imitate not pretending to be like Him, but striving to be like Him. As a Christian walks in the newness of life they strive to execute the concepts found in the Beatitudes. Regardless of one ethnic background, their heritage they strive to adhere to Romans 14:19 & Hebrews 12:14, thereby being in the Body of Christ no one should boast or think more highly of themselves over others.

It is unfortunate Christians sometimes, often time when referencing themselves as gentiles erect and propel barriers. I have unfortunately as well witness people from the denomination Messianic Jews do likewise. The wall prior to Christ work on the cross invisible however it was distinctively seen. After His work on the cross He destroyed this wall, unfortunately man makes attempts to rebuild it.

Unfortunately yes. It is sad but true. I've seen this, I've heard of this, and I have read of this. I extend this apology in advance, I do not make the next statement to often anyone. Many denominations do this when they speak against others.

Do as Christ did, for this problem exist as He walked the earth. He lived doing in the Will of the Father, He prayed. We are to adhere as the Spirit leads and address accordingly as He guidance.

Q1. (Galatians 4:26-29) Do you think Jewish Christians regarded Gentile Christians as second-class citizens?

The Jews were the chosen people, Abraham's descendents, called apart to worship the One True God. They saw Gentile Christians as "the poor relatives", so to speak...those who came "late to the party", and were uncircumcised... just not "as good as" the Jewish believers....not children of Abraham.

"For as many as were baptized into Christ, the Anointed One, have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is now no distinction, neither Jew nor Greek, there is is neither slave nor free, there is not male and female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you belong to Christ, are in Him Who is Abraham's Seed, then you are Abraham's offspring and spiritual heirs according to the promise." Gal 3:27-29

In Christ we are all ONE, all EQUAL, His BODY.....it eliminates favoritism, elitism, denominational pride, racial prejudice, class prejudice....or that is His intent and desire for us. Sadly though, our flesh may still participate in this nonsense!

In many churches, women are considered second-class and are not allowed to teach or hold positions traditionally held by men. In other churches, there may be a division between those who speak in tongues and those who choose not to operate in this gift. Many churches are still racially segregated. The wealthy are often those in key positions, as the larger donors, and the poor are overlooked as unworthy to lead.

I'm the only one I can do anything about....each of us must examine our own hearts and our beliefs in this area, asking the Holy Spirit to show us any prejudice or spiritual pride or elitism, and ask to have it torn out by the roots. This should not be! I can also pray and ask the Lord to reveal these divisions as sin....as cancers in His Body.

A Messianic Jew, who has been immersed, filled with the Holy Spirit, clothed with the Messiah, are called not to regard the Gentile Christian as second-class.

The same is to be held by the Gentile Christian, those who have TRULY clothed themselves with Israel's Messiah, they would not think that the Jews, God's first born to be second-class, calling them to suppress their Jewish identity, to stop observing God's holy laws, to stop celebrating their Jewish Feast that God commanded them to keep, and that they are now no longer the Apple of God's eye, unity has not called them to put that all behind them, the calling of unity is that we are now all “FIRST CLASS CITIZENS in Christ.

What is the basis of our unity in Christ, and in what way does this unity pull down barriers?

The basis of our unity in the Messiah is our "FAITH" – TRUSTING fully upon the blood of Israel's Messiah, the Son of God.

LOVE has been sent to the world, LOVE so strong that its power tears down the barriers of division that Satan has placed in the heart of mankind, LOVE so strong that it binds believers together, be they Jew, Gentile, slave, or free. :)

Jewish Christians, the Judaizers considered the Gentile Christians as second-class citizens that was why they insisted that the Geltile Christians had to be circumcised.

The basis of our unity in Christ is faith in Him followed by baptism into Him.

With this unity, we are one in Christ and so there are no more barriers.

There is need for teaching the truth in our congregation on faith and batism that has broken all barriers just as Paul took time to educate the Galilian Church.

(Galatians 4:26-29) Do you think Jewish Christians regarded Gentile Christians as second-class citizens? Yes, they did. They felt they were superior to the Gentiles because of circumcision. Paul had to set them straight.

What is the basis of our unity in Christ? The Cross. We are all one because we've been adopted into God's family. Those whom have excepted Jesus Christ as our Savior are all now related. Jesus is the head of the church.

In what way does this unity pull down barriers? The barriers are pulled down because of our relationship with Christ. We've all been made equal. We are one with Christ Jesus, thus making up one with others. I believe the love we have for God and others also pulls down barriers, IF we are loving the way we should.

Do any groups continue to be regarded as second-class citizens in our congregations? Yes! This question reminds me of what James said in James 2 about being a respector of persons. Many see the poor as being second-class. Some churches see other races as being second class, etc.

What should we do about this? First, we should repent! Secondly, we should pray and ask God to deal with our hearts and to give us wisdom, insight, and the truth of His Word.

Yes, I believe Jewish Christians held themselves above the Gentiles. Jew's were since the beginning of time God's chosen people. This must of rendered them feeling as though there were God's elite. It is my believe even as Christian Jews who were baptized in Christ they still felt that they were more important than Gentiles, ( after all it was the Jewish Christian 'leaders' who were pushing circumcision) this was part of their culture. It had been ingrained in them from birth. It is hard to cross or merge the barriers of such different cultures.

John 7-50-52

50 Nicodemus, who had gone to Jesus earlier and who was one of their own number, asked, 51 “Does our

law condemn a man without first hearing him to find out what he has been doing?”

52 They replied, “Are you from Galilee, too? Look into it, and you will find that a prophet does not come out

of Galilee.”

The basis of our unity in Christ is that we are all equal in God's eyes. All who have been baptized, died and arose with Christ are children, heirs, the sons and daughters of God. God does not look at His children in terms of man or woman, Jew or Gentile, rich or poor. His children are all equal and He loves us all the same. Just as we as parents love our children equally. God loves us equally.

As Christian's there should be no barriers, as we are all united, brothers and sisters through Christ living in us. We are family.

In modern day congregations we are often separated by religion. Not faith but religion. I belong to a non-denominational church where all cultures, races and religions merge. In our congregation are Indians, Hispanics, Catholics, Methodist, Baptist, Jews, everyone is accepted. I think some congregations also discriminate against material status, 'catering' more to those who have greater wealth than others. Treating the less fortunate as if they were of lesser importance.. I believe this is all part of church politics. Church-has become to much about 'big business'.

What we can do, is to continue to preach God's unending love for His Children to others. accepting all as brothers and sisters ,regardless of culture, race,creed or sex. Treat our Christin brothers and sisters as family, because they ARE FAMILY!

Individually,I don't know much about, nor would I want to be involved in the 'politics' of church and if it comes to that, I will remove myself from that situation and find a new congregation. Probably not what God would expect of me. But I personally prefer not to deal with church politics. I think more and more churches are losing perspective about what is important. And that is teaching God's word.

Some congregations today remind me of the money changers which Jesus threw out of the temple. Some churches have a 'cafe' , and book stores, and other businesses within the church. Now while I believe in tithing, I do not believe churches should be run as businesses. I realize they need money to pay bills, but to aspire to be a mega church just for the sake of prestige,is wrong. To lose site of the churches responsibility to God and His people is irresponsible..

John 2: 13-22

13 Now the Passover of the Jews was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 14 And He found in the temple those who sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the money changers doing business. 15 When He had made a whip of cords, He drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and the oxen, and poured out the changers' money and overturned the tables. 16 And He said to those who sold doves, "Take these things away! Do not make My Father's house a house of merchandise!"

Continue to pray that we are all unified in Christ.

Yes, because they did not obey born as Jews thus not obeying Jewish laws.

We are all equal because of faith in God.(There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor

female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. Gal 3:28

We are are all equal. (If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise." Gal 3:29)

Yes, some races and poor persons are treated as inferior also persons who known prostitues, drug addicts or homosexuals.

We should spend time in pray asking God to make us one. Every effort should be made to help these persons and include them where possible.

Yes, I think so. The Jews were the "chosen people."

Our unity comes from being baptized into Christ.

We are not looking at race, sex, or anything else--we are all equal under Jesus Christ.

I think probably so. Not that I've seen in our church. I hope I never do see it!

It needs to be corrected when found....

Q1. (Galatians 3:26-29)

Do you think Jewish Christians regarded Gentile Christians as second-class citizens?

Initially it must have been difficult for Jewish Christians to accept Gentile Christians as their equal. For centuries, the Jews in their religion, dress, diet, and laws, had been very different from the Gentiles. There was this hostility that had existed between the two groups – a cultural and religious hostility. The major cause of this enmity must have been the Law, as it made this definite distinction between them. The Jews justified themselves before God by means of the Law and excluded the Gentiles. For example the dietary laws reminded the Jews that God had put a difference between the clean and unclean; the Gentiles by not obeying these laws, were therefore unclean. Fortunately our Lord and Saviour Jesus changed all of this and reconciled us all by His work on the Cross. ‘In Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith’ (Gal 3:26). There were, of course, initial problems. For example, the Jewish Christians reprimanded Peter for going to the Gentiles and eating with them; also must a Gentile become a Jew to become a Christian? The enmity was gone once it was realised that Jews and Gentiles are saved by the same faith in Christ. As Paul explains, we are all one person in Christ Jesus (v 28). There is therefore no distinction of race, rank, or sex. We recognise each other as equals, brothers and sisters in Christ. In our congregation there is no discrimination that I know of.

Yes, I do think Jewish Christians regarded Gentile Christians as second class citizens.

Our basis of unity in Christ is that we are all baptized in Christ clothed in His righteousness. Our faith in Jesus makes us one.

This unity pulls down barriers when it is taken to heart. No one who truly understands that we are all related as God's children and have equal footing as we accept our salvation will think of anyone as more or less. We are not only equal....we are one.

Yes, groups can still be regarded as second class citizens in our churches today. Women are sometimes still excluded from sharing in their gift of leadership. I see the poor or disabled or mentally challenged totally excluded even in fellowship in churches. Sadly, I've experienced exclusion and prejudice because of my Catholic back ground! I've also been excluded because of my past. Only those allowed with "clean" backgrounds were allowed in leadership.....no matter I was saved, born again and clean! As a woman, I experience being treated as second class where I am less "believed" than a man. Sad. There are out right injustices in the church today due to certain people being considered second class citizens.

What should we do about it? Pray, educate, appoint leaders with wisdom, courage and integrity, practice accountability, do away with politics, know the truth of the Word, leave worldly standards behind....cry out to God.

Q1-1 Yes I'm sure Gentiles were regarded as second-class citizens in the minds of some Jewish Christians. Considering this concept was new at their time, I'm sure it took multiples teachings on this topic for them to truely grasp and accept it.

Q1-2 Our unity in Christ is through our faith in Christ.

Q1-3 This pull down barriers because we are all the same in Christ through out faith. Unfortuately it doesn't actually eleminate barriers because we are still human. Still in the flesh.

Q1-4 Yes there are people that are treated as second-class in some congregations.

Q1-5 What should we do about this? Well I can only modify my own behavior and hope to influence others. I would not stay with that congregation I would go to a different church.

Q1. (Galatians 3:26-29) Do you think Jewish Christians regarded Gentile Christians as second-class citizens? What is the basis of our unity in Christ? In what way does this unity pull down barriers? Do any groups continue to be regarded as second-class citizens in our congregations? What should we do about this?

It's clear from this letter and p.e. Acts that Jewish Christians regarded the Gentile Christians as second-class.

Paul explains here there is no such thing as Jewish or Gentile christians, because we're all one in Christ.

The basis of this is baptism.

In the first place we're christians, and it doesn't matter if you're black or white ;-)

In many churches ehm less intelligent people are considered as unequal.

We should treat everybody as one.

5. 1.a. Yes, because they believed they were God's chosen people. Paul is contending that in Christ we are all at the same level. Circumcised Jews are not superior to uncircumcised Gentiles.

.b. The basis of our unity in Christ is being buried with Christ in Baptism.

c. This unity pulls down barriers for the scripture says, there is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female for we are all one in Christ Jesus.

d. Our church does not regard its people as second class citizens. We are a multi-cultural church. I am sure some do because I have been in those churches that are of the same race and they are dead churches.

e. We should welcome them with open arms because we are all one in Christ Jesus.

Yes

The basis of our unity in Christ is thru baptism

This unity pulled down barriers by showing that we are all equal in Christ. We all have the same status before God

Yes

We should seek out people that we consider different from us whether it be race, financial status etc. and show the love that God shows to us. We need to start with self to recognize that we are all the same in God eyes.

Yes we are though of as second class christain. But in God eyes we are not.

The basis of unity is that there is there are nor male or female, slave or free. This unity pull down

the barrier are pull down, because we don't have female or male, slave or free.

Yes, there are some barrier in chruch we can stop it by calling it out when you see it.

Yes we are though of as second class christain. But in God eyes we are not.

The basis of unity is that there is there are nor male or female, slave or free. This unity pull down

the barrier are pull down, because we don't have female or male, slave or free.

Yes, there are some barrier in chruch we can stop it by calling it out when you see it.

I do think that Jewish Christians regarded Gentile Christians as second-class citizens. Look at the way that they wanted them to be circumcised. They thought that if they weren’t circumcised they weren’t as good ad them.

The basis of our unity in Christ is that we are all the same as it goes in our spirit. There is no difference.

The way that this unity pulls down barriers is that we can think of all as equal in God’s sight. I don’t think that there are any citizens in our congregations that are considered second-class citizens.

Some of them must have since Paul addressed the issue in several letters. The basis of our unity in Christ is our being united with Him through baptism. The necessary humility associated with baptism pulls down barriers by applying to all in the same way. No one identifies with Christ in any other way. I agree with Travis63. I don’t think Paul would use the term “Jewish” Christians or “Gentile” Christians. He is emphasizing that we are all ONE in Christ – all simply Christians. I think young or new Christians are sometimes regarded as second-class citizens in our congregations. We need to commit to discipling new Christians by encouraging them and building them up.

Yes. The Jewish “Christians” would not eat with the Christians of Gentile background, not seeing them as saved but seeing them as having a deficit in the “works” department.

What is the basis of our unity in Christ? Faith in the risen Lord. As we are baptized into Christ, we are ALL Abraham’s seed, and “heirs according to the promise”.

In what way does this unity pull down barriers? It stops us looking for other’s works to identify them worthy to associate with.

Do any groups continue to be regarded as second-class citizens in our congregations? I would say the mentally ill who have not walked in their full, rightful healing yet. Also those with families – children, husbands/wives, who are not yet saved.

What should we do about this? Have dinner and associate with one another. Do not assess peoples by their earthly works and attainments.