JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. David's Song of Praise

• 4 months later...

What do you find the most inspiring in the language of this psalm? THE TOTALITY OF TRUST AND TRIUMPH BECAUSE OF GOD IN HIS LIFE.

What encourages you the most? REGARDLESS OF THE CIRCUMSTANCES OR OUTCOMES, GOD IS THERE WITH HIS OWN.

Write down all the various titles and metaphors used of God in this psalm: SEE BELOW!!

I will love You, O Lord, my strength.

2 The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer;

My God, my strength, in whom I will trust;

My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

3 I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised;

So shall I be saved from my enemies.

Q1. (2 Samuel 22 = Psalm 18) What do you find the most inspiring in the language of this psalm?

David's Psalm IS meant to be read aloud ( just as Pastor Ralph suggest). Through the awesome display of David's imagery I can feel God's presence! He uses graphic imagery to relate God's awesome power. I have read this Psalm 3 times aloud this morning. Though I have read it several times in the past reading aloud gives the Psalm so much more depth. Unleashes so much more understanding. David surely is a great writer! Through imagery he brings God's mighty power, grace,love, and salvation, into a even brighter light. Reading aloud I could close my eyes after reading a verse or two and become totally entrenched into what David must have been feeling at the time, and what's most amazing I can RELATE to his feelings!! God's love is omnipresent, timeless. I think we have all felt as David does at different times in our lives. David feels defeated, he seeks God, God comes to his rescue, God rewards his righteousness, David praises God! I think we've all been in that "place" in our walk. And we will continue to be challenged, and hopefully grow in our walk with God, each and every day! David's Psalm transcends time!

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Hebrews 13:8

What encourages you the most?

Reading this Psalm, there are many things which encourages me. I would say what encourages me the most is the God's sovereignty and POWER. He is WORTHY of PRAISE! He is sovereign and all powerful!

We can all learn a lot from David, who as we know is a man after "God's own heart"! David's love and praise for God inspires me even more to continue to shield myself with the power of God and most importantly to THANK him for ALL things!.

Write down all the various titles and metaphors used of God in this psalm.

God is LORD!

God is my Rock!

God is strength!

God is perfect, He is flawless! (Romans 12:2-Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and PERFECT will.)

God is light!

God delivers us!

God is our refuge!

God is our stronghold

God is our shield!

God is our salvation!

God is worthy!

God is all POWERFUL! ( God soared on the wings of the wind-the Lords voice resounded with power!

God is vengeful. Those who anger God will be avenged.

God takes hold of us-He never leaves his children. When we are low, He stoops down and grabs us, God exalts us!

God is LOVE-God loves us unconditionally and takes delight in his children.

God is faithful- He rewards those who seek him ( Hebrews 11:6-And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

God is shrewd. God cannot be tricked!

God is omnipresent (everywhere)

God trains us in his ways!( 2 Samual22 34-37)

God delivers us from evil (Matthew 6:13-And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one).

PRAISE GOD IN ALL THINGS. God is a jealous God-He delights in our praise and thankfulness!( Psalm 150:6 Let everything that has breath praise the LORD. Praise the LORD! )

Psalm 145:21 My mouth will speak in praise of the LORD. Let every creature praise his holy name for ever and ever.

Praise, Praise, Praise Thanks be to the Lord God almighty for his Sovereign Power and Grace and His all consuming LOVE!!

The most inspiring in the language is of David's hymn of his celebration to the grace of God. His Psalm of truth.

What encourages me the most is how he declares his love for God.

All the various titles and metaphors used in this Psalm 18

I will love You, O LORD, my strength ( love compassion as deep as a mothers love)

The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer ( to God as a mountain fortress that protects the believers)

My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold ( stronghold reinforce the image of a god as protector)

I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised ( to God who is worthy of celebration of his praise)

So shall I be saved from my enemies ( gave him shield from his enemies )

Rhndwsh aka Rhndwsh53

I read it aloud twice. The words came alive as I read. David's dedication inspires me. His heart is so completely for the Lord, giving God all the credit for every accomplishment, protection and salvation. It's like a love song to the Lord.

I am encouraged by the fact that even though David sinned his love and dedication to God did not falter, God loved and forgave him, rescued and blessed him.

(2 Samuel 22 = Psalm 18) What do you find the most inspiring in the language of this psalm?

LOVE and Trust he love the Lord with all his heart

In everything God is to be praised.

Lord, my strength.

The Lord is my rock,

God is my fortress,

God my deliverer;

God my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.

Q1. (2 Samuel 22 = Psalm 18) What do you find the most inspiring in the language of this psalm? What encourages you the most? Write down all the various titles and metaphors used of God in this psalm.

What I find most inspiring about the language of Psalm 18 is the strong exaltation David gives to God. Every ounce of praise and credit is given to our Lord. He encompasses God's strength and saving grace. He speaks of God's might and power as well as God's character. He appreciates how God delights in us. He praises the truth of God's Word and the merit of following His Word. He includes God's loyalty and faithfulness, His worthiness and purity and shows God is without fault. He claims Him as protector, teacher and defender, putting his enemies in God's hands and exalting God in his triumph over his enemies. It is just such a strong hymn of praise to a deserving God!

I find it most encouraging that this Psalm applies to today too! God is still the same today as then and we can exalt Him with this Psalm as our prayer too! He delights in us and we can trust in Him and His spotless character in all the same ways!

Attributes of God:

God is my strength!

The Lord is my rock!

He is my protection!

The Lord is my Savior!

He is safety for me!

He is my shield and defender!

He saves us from our enemies!

God hears our cries!

God is MIGHTY!!!

He rescues us!

He defends those who are weaker!

God delights in His own!

The Lord rewards right living!

He is our lamp and brightens the darkness around us!

He helps us and strengthens us!

God is without fault!

His words are pure!

He is trustworthy!

He is THE only God!

He keeps us free from fault so we won't stumble!

The Lord is our trainer and teacher!

He supports us!

He shows us a better way to live!

He lifts us up and makes our enemies tremble!

He lives!

He is worthy to be praised!

He gives victory!

His loyalty lasts forever!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PRAISE HIS HOLY NAME!

Q1. (2 Samuel 22 = Psalm 18) What do you find the most inspiring in the language of this psalm?

The language of the Psalm that inspires me most is the "LOVE" song of David's "HEART" to Israel's Rock, the God of Israel, and the one true God who sits upon the throne.

What encouraged me the most is Psalm18:35 Thou hast also given me the shield of thy salvation: and thy right hand hath held me up, and thy gentleness hath made me great.

As I read this through tears of joy, my heart sings "PRAISE" to the God of Israel for sending to the "WORLD"- to "ME" the shield of my salvation, His Son, Israel's Messiah, who is sitting at God's right hand.

The "SONG" of my heart is Psalm 18:46 The LORD lives; and blessed be my rock; and let the God of my salvation be exalted – God the Father and His Son the Savior of the world.

David's personal knowledge of God's faithfulness and their intimate relationship..".MY keen and firm Strength, MY Rock, MY Fortress, MY Deliverer, MY shield, MY Horn of Salvation, MY high tower"....also David's dependence upon his God...."You cause my lamp to be lighted and to shine; the Lord my God illumines my darkness" and "For by You I can run through a troop and by my God I can leap over a wall"...and so many more! I love this Psalm!!!!

The Lord's deliverance when David cried for help describing God rushing to his aid in terms of a rapid and violent storm whose response was swift, sure and violent on David's behalf (and mine), and His tender care for His child.

My Rock, my Fortress, my Deliverer, my God, my keen and firm Strength, my Refuge, my Shield, my Horn of Salvation, my High Tower, The Lord. (the only one true God and Savior), my Promoter (he brings us forth into a large place), He orders my steps (and stops), my Rewarder and my Reward, the Word, Kind, Merciful, Holy, Pure, Contrary to the perverse, my Lamp Who illumines my darkness and Who lights my lamp and causes me to shine, Perfect, Trustworthy and True, my Teacher and Trainer, my Source of Stability, my Victory and my Victorious One, the Living God, my Exalted God, my Avenger, the Merciful God who is worthy of all praise and worship, the Lover of my Soul!

There is NONE like Him, and I will worship Him and praise Him forever!!!! He has been to me every one of those qualities, in the 40 years I've walked with Him. Like David, I love Him "fervently and devotedly!" Even so, come quickly Lord Jesus!!!

The most inspiring to me was the difference shown between God (powerful)--total control of nature and man (David).

What encourages me the most is no matter where I am, God is there--in the low weak times, as well as in triumphs. We need to be totally dependent on God for all we have--every day.

Rock

Fortress, Deliverer,stronghold, shield, horn of salvation, worthy of praise, avenger,rescuer, support, faithful, forgiver, savior, lamp, perfect, flawless.

What I find inspiring in the language of this psalm is: God's rescue, His pure grace. With trust and faith in Him, He will rescue us in times of trouble and needs as He have rescued me and saved me from trouble many, many times.

What encourge me most is God's grace.

Titles and metaphors used of God in this psalm:

He is my rock.

God is my shield and the horn of my salvation.

God is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior.

Q1. (2 Samuel 22 = Psalm 18)

What do you find the most inspiring in the language of this psalm?

The part I find most inspiring is found in verse 3 (NKJV), “The God of my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, My stronghold and my refuge; My Savior, You save me from violence.“ “In Whom I will trust” - He is my anchor in life and I cannot imagine living in this topsy-turvy world without Him. Trusting the Lord is a great antidote for worry, depression, discouragement, and fear. Trusting Him enables us to overcome the obstacles in life. So by putting our complete trust in our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ we find He dispels any anxiety, and there is no need to take tranquilisers or antidepressants. There is also no need to worry as we experience “the peace of God, which transcends all understanding” (Philippians 4:7). Rather we pray with thanksgiving which involves complete trust in our Heavenly Father. When we trust God we are making a statement of belief and confidence, and we now become independent of the world’s temptations and rely rather on God’s care each day. We see that trusting the Lord's promises yields blessings; as shown in the verses of Proverbs 3:5-6, “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” My strength; my rock; my fortress; my deliverer; my shield; my stronghold; my Saviour; my support; my lamp; my refuge; and many others.

Affirmation that God is WORTHY to be praise, that He is sovereign, that He's Almighty, that He is never distant humanity's view hold what He demonstrates in varying degrees based on where we are, based from the side of grace and mercy of the time present time.

God is ALL at all times, unfortunately we may not see that He is until hindsight is keen.

Write down all the various titles and metaphors used of God in this psalm. (an expansive list, yet not an exhaustive list)

LORD!, Solid Rock, strength, perfect, light, deliverer, refuge {safe place / cover / protection}, stronghold, shield, salvation deliverance; worthy, vindicator, Love, faithful, All wise, Omniscience, Omnipresent, Omnipotence / Almighty.

This to me is a song of Thanksgiving................I can be a strong Christian...........Names and Metaphors:

Lord God, Mighty Rock, Fortress, Protector, Shield, Powerful Weapon, Place of Shelter, Lord Most High, Defender, Rescuer, Standard Giver, Loyal, Faithful, sincere, Supporter, Victory Giver, Living Lord.

What is inspiring in the language of this psalm is the way the paslm is written to flow like a story. You are left to desire to know what follows next.

What encourages me most is the positive resppinse of the Lord to those who believe and depend on Him.

my rock, my fortress, my shield, the horn of salvation, my stronghold, Smoke rose from his nostrils; consuming fire came from his mountain, burning coals blazed out of it.

Q1. (2 Samuel 22 = Psalm 18) What do you find the most inspiring in the language of this psalm? What encourages you the most? Write down all the various titles and metaphors used of God in this psalm.

The Psalms are very encouraging and David sometimes repeat how God is his strength:

“The Lord is my Rock, my fortress, and my deliverer.” -2 Samuel 22:2 NIV

“He is my Stronghold, my refuge and my savior from violent men you save me” (v. 36 KJV)

Titles and Metaphors ascribed to God in Psalm 18:

God=Strength (Psalm 18:1 KJV)

God=Rock

God=Fortress

God=Deliverer

God=Horn of Salvation

God=High Tower

God=Buckler

Other hidden metaphors:

“There went up a smoke out of His nostrils, and fire out of his mouth delivered”(v. 8) Is David comparing God to a dragon-

like creature? Perhaps as a metaphor for powerful?

God is a candle (v. 28)

The most inspiring sentiments in the language of this psalm is David's total submission to God and trusting that he will be delivered from his enemies.

I am encouraged knowing that just as God has protected and delivered David from his enemies He will do the same for me as I trust HIM.

Titles and metaphors used of God in this psalm are, Lord, Most High, Rock, Fortress, Strength, Deliverer, Shield, Horn of my Salvation, Stronghold, Support, Teacher, and Avenger.

It is basic and full of feelings. That others feel free to share their basic feelings with honesty. Lives, ruler of nations, vanquishes my enemies..............

• 1 month later...

Write down all the various titles and metaphors used of God in this psalm

a) The faith of David in his praising of the Lord. Him telling just what the

Lord is to him. David shows to us the ability to relateto God's great power

After reading this Psalm you have a vivid imagery of God'spoweras well

as grace, love for His people and salvation for us.

B) David's strong faith in God encourages us all to turn to the Lord,

to see and accept God's love and guidance for us in our life. God is

more than worthy of David's Psalms.

c)

• The Lord is my Rock
  • My God is my rock
  • My shield and horn of my salvation
  • my fortress and my deliverer
  • my stronghold, my refuge,
  • My protector
  • My powerful weapon
  • My place of shelter
  • my savior
  • the most high,
  • my lamp, O Lord
  • shield of victory
  • Christ Jesus Living God
  • The eternal King
  • The Living One
  • Son of God
  • Son of man

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We can better understand God's grace and mercy from the study of David's situations, his errors and his humility when confronted with them by God or his profits -

This truth is seen in an inspiring way, and something to remember for all our days, HOW GREAT IS OUR GOD

Psalm 18 favorite parts

24 Therefore theLordhas recompensed me according to my righteousness,

According to the cleanness of my hands in His sight.

25 With the merciful You will show Yourself merciful;

With a blameless man You will show Yourself blameless;

26 With the pure You will show Yourself pure;

And with the devious You will show Yourself shrewd.

27 For You will save the humble people,

But will bring down haughty looks.

28 For You will light my lamp;

The Lord my God will enlighten my darkness.

29 For by You I can run against a troop,

By my God I can leap over a wall.

30As forGod, His wayisperfect;

The word of the Lord is proven;

He is a shield to all who trust in Him.

31 For whoisGod, except theLord?

And who is a rock, except our God?

32 It isGod who arms me with strength,

And makes my way perfect.

33 He makes my feet like thefeet ofdeer,

And sets me on my high places.

34 He teaches my hands to make war,

So that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

35 You have also given me the shield of Your salvation;

Your right hand has held me up,

Your gentleness has made me great.

36 You enlarged my path under me,

So my feet did not slip.

PRAISE OUR MIGHTY GOD

• 3 weeks later...

It is a graphic description of our Holy God.

We will enter into the gates of righteousness to ever be with the Lord.

He is good

lovingkindness

everlasting

worthy of fear (awe)

answers prayers

He is for us,

We need not fear

He is among us (He is here!)

our refuge

His name has power

Helps us

our strength and song

our salvation,

righteous

chief corner stone

creator

giver of good gifts

worthy of our thanks

God Bless

Jen

Romans 15:13

• 2 months later...

3a)Psalm 18 v29-37 especially-The combination of imagery & the more common so-called synonymous or synthetic parallelism, where the first line says it one way, and the second (and occasionally third line) says the same thing with a bit of variation, moving the idea forward slight,really creates &builds images that reaeeure&encourage me.
b)how psalms seem to be able to connect with/express my thoughts/feelings so well.
c) titles for God- LORD used 16times represents the Hebrew word Adonai substituted for God el used 10x usually as "my God" -- the God he relates to personally;my rock, fortress,stronghold,my deliverer, my shield, my refuge,my shield,the horn of my salvation,my stronghold,my saviour, Smoke rose from his nostrils; fire burning coals,from his mountain,parted heavens&came down,, mounted cherubim&flew, soaring on wings of the wind,

• 1 year later...

What inspires and encourages me the most is how David distinguishes between the Lord who is Lord of all of earth, but then speaks to him as friend my God.  Thru this you can tell that David truly loves the Lord of all and trusts him with his own personal lifes blessings and struggles.

titles for God

The Lord is my Rock (of All)

my God is my Rock (friend)

I called to the Lord (of All)

I called out to my God (friend)

For I kept the ways of the Lord (of All)

I have not done evil by turning from my God (friend)

You are my Lamp O Lord (of All)

with my God I can scale a wall (friend)

The work of the Lord is flawless (of all)

As for my God his way is perfect (friend)

For who is God except our Lord

There are many more

I have read Psalms so many times in my life but now they mean so much more to me.