JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Seeing God's Greatness

• 2 months later...

(Isaiah 37:16) How do the first two sentences of Hezekiah's prayer (verse 16) correspond to the first sentence of the Lord's Prayer?   BOTH BEGIN WITH A DECLARATION THAT GOD IS GOD AND THERE IS NO OTHER; HE ALONE DETERMINES OUR FATE.

How are they important to faith?  AS LONG AS WE ACKNOWLEDGE, BELIEVE, AND CONCENTRATE (ABC) ON THAT REALITY; OUR FAITH WILL BE PRESENT AND STRENGTHENED.

How are they important to God answering the prayer?  WHEN HE KNOWS THAT WE KNOW HIM AND ARE BELIEVING IN WHAT HE SAID--HE WILL ANSWER OUR PRAYER ACCORDING TO HIS RICHES AND GLORY.

Q2. (Isaiah 37:16) How do the first two sentences of Hezekiah's prayer (verse 16) correspond to the first sentence of the Lord's Prayer?

Both prayers begin with praise and worship of God  as our sovereign Creator of all; our heavenly Father.  Hezekiah points out that Sennacherib has insulted the living God, the only God.  The Lord’s Prayer calls on us to hallow, or bless and respect, His name.

How are they important to faith?
    To have true faith in the Lord, we have to know who He is and that He can do what He has promised.  When we begin our prayers with praise and worship, we draw closer to God and our faith is strengthened as we recognize and praise Him for all that He is.  

How are they important to God answering the prayer?
    “Without faith it is impossible to please Him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who seek Him.” Hebrews 11:6
    Our Father’s first desire is to draw closer to us in fellowship.  He wants us to know Him and love Him as He knows and loves us.   Hezekiah had a close relationship with the Lord and when he prayed, his praise and worship showed his understanding of who God is. 

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2013 at 10:09 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Isaiah 37:16) How do the first two sentences of Hezekiah’s prayer (verse 16) correspond to the first sentence of the Lord’s Prayer?

Both direct the prayer to Almighty God in Heaven....the One and only God. Both acknowledge the existence of God, Who both sees and hears and has the power to act and answer, and that the one praying is subject to and dependent upon God.

When I pray, if I'm fearful, the fear dissolves when I verbalize WHO HE IS......God in Heaven, Creator of the Universe, My Father Who loves me and knows everything about me, and cares about the smallest things.....no matter how big my request is, I regain the perspective that NOTHING is too big or too small for the One Who loves me.

Addressing Him by Name, honoring Who He is, makes the request personal, rather than an "I wish someone out there might be listening or interested in helping". We are acknowledging that we are dependent upon Him and looking to Him alone for the answers....When He answers, we know without question, that the answer was not a coincidence, but God Who responded to our prayer, and we thank Him.

Q2. (Isaiah 37:16) How do the first two sentences of Hezekiah’s prayer (verse 16) correspond to the first sentence of the Lord’s Prayer?

Well, it's a bit more flowery, that's for sure! The first sentence of The Lord's Prayer is meant as a general way to approach God in prayer. Hezekiah's prayer is a specific prayer which he uttered, and was recorded by his scribe, and the way in which Hezekiah approached God at this time was for a specific purpose. He wanted God to deliver Jerusalem and to defend His Name and honor. The opening sentences were a declaration of faith in Almighty God and in His power.

Very important. This prayer, one of the great prayers in the Bible, is a declaration of Hezekiah's immense faith in Yahweh.

Without faith that God will answer prayer we can't expect much from Him. Hezekiah laid his faith on the line. He praised God and glorified Him in the opening sentences of his prayer before asking God to help him.

Q2. (Isaiah 37:16) How do the first two sentences of Hezekiah’s prayer (verse 16) correspond to the first sentence of the Lord’s Prayer? How are they important to faith? How are they important to God answering the prayer? 

The prayer of Hezekiah addresses God as being the only God, who dwells in heaven.  The use of the word Adonai speaks of the holiness of God's name and as His Name is holy so is He.

To ask of Him we must believe that He is there and that He has power.  Hezekiah had great, living, true  faith in the living God.  God desires to answer our prayers and show His own His power, strength, and willingness to answer.  If we would just ask.  I have been trying to do things again on my strength (that silly thing that I think I have) and find myself tired, anxious, and lacking joy.  No fun!

God Bless!

Jen

Jude 24,25

2. (Isaiah 37:16) How do the first two sentences of Hezekiah’s prayer (verse 16) correspond to the first sentence of the Lord’s Prayer? How are they important to faith? Howare they important to God answering the prayer? 

Both adresses God Almighty and make sure there is no misunderstanding of Whom they are talking to.

We have to know Who is our God. We have to be able to communicate with our Father.

We must also show our faith in His Awesome ability, else we will pray with disbelief and our prayer will not be answered.

Although Father ( in the Lord's Prayer) shoguns more intimate than Lord, a sense of fear, reverence, and respect is conveyed in both passages. Hezekiah acknowledges that God reigns from heaven as The Lord Almighty, Ruler of Heaven and Earth, and Creator of all Creation. This faith is important to Hezekiah because he faithfully turns to God as the highest and most supreme being and will defeat the day's world superpower. With God being victorious, Hezekiah hopes that the whole world will witness God's majestic power and bows down and proclaims God the one and only true God.

Q2. (Isaiah 37:16)

How do the first two sentences of Hezekiah's prayer (verse 16) correspond to the first sentence of the Lord's Prayer?

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name.

Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.

All our prayers should be addressed to our Heavenly Father in acknowledgement of His sovereignty over all. We then begin our prayers by worshipping Him as well as honouring, and praising Him. We now pray and ask God to set up His kingdom on earth and to reign in righteousness. In praying for His will to be done, we acknowledge that God knows what is best and that we surrender our will to His. If only the conditions as they are in heaven might exist here on earth! We must trust Him not only for the salvation of our souls but also for the direction of our lives. It must be a commitment without reserve. We cannot always trust ourselves to do what is best for us – we need Divine guidance. I put my trust in the Word of God, Proverbs 3:5-6, “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” So, we must also acknowledge our Lord Jesus Christ in everything we do – we must desire to do His will.  

q2. (Isaiah 37:16) How do the first two sentences of Hezekiah's prayer (verse 16) correspond to the first sentence of the Lord's Prayer? How are they important to faith? How are they important to God answering the prayer?

Hezekiah recognizes who he is praying to, our one and only creator.

Just as God reveals to me today who I am and how I came to be this way, let me have faith that I can remove from my my foolish sins. He can make me clean by the bolood of the Lamb. Oh father who are in heaven, hallowed be thy glorious name. Come upon us of mighty God with your strong hand and deliver us from ourselves. Cleanse us deeper than before, remove that which offends you,... forever.

in Jesus precous name, amen

The Prayer:
"O Lord of hosts, God of Israel, that dwellest between the cherubims, thou art the God, even thou alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth: thou hast made heaven and earth." -Isaiah 37:16
Q). How do the first two sentences of Hezekiah's prayer (verse 16) correspond to the first sentence of the Lord's Prayer?
A). Both Hezekiah's prayer and the Lord's prayer begin with an awesome vision of who God really is.
#
Q). How are they important to faith?
A). Hezekiah sees no limitation to God's power, since he made heaven and earth and can control anything within them. If my vision of God is awesome, I'll ask of him great things. Hezekiah's prayer springs from his faith in the God of creation - the awesome God!.
#
Q). How are they important to God answering the prayer?
A). They both show humiltiy in the Presence of God. And God will exalt those who humble themselves in His presence:
"Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:" -1 Peter 5:6
"Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up." -James 4:10

Sometimes my prayers begin with thanks, acknowledging God's power in my life.

What Hezekiah did and what Jesus did in the Lord's Prayer reminds us before we even begin of God's sovereignty, He is ruler and creator of the universe. In praising God and acknowledging that He is the one God, we give testimony to our faith ...that Yahweh has the power and authority to solve our problems.

Q2. (Isaiah 37:16) How do the first two sentences of Hezekiah's prayer (verse 16) correspond to the first sentence of the Lord's Prayer?

The first two sentences of Hezekiah’s prayer are similar to the Lords Prayer in that

a)....  Hezekiah addresses God as “ LORD”  which is a personal salutation for Yahweh...It is similar to the Lord's prayer where God is Praised and magnified with intimacy as Father.

B)......Hezikiah acknowledges God’s place as sitting on the Throne and flanked by cherubims ...God’s guardian angels..He sees God sitting on the throne in heaven ...Simalar to the Lords prayer where God is acknowledged as being in Heaven

c)....Hezekiah addresses God as the most powerful over all the nations of the earth as He alone had made heaven and earth ..the sovereign Creator God..this is similar to the Lords prayer because Jesus honours God the father by praying that His name be "Hallowed" on earth as in heaven  again accrediting Heaven and Earth to His Sovereign Creation.        

Faith is centred on One God ..the only Creator of the heavens and the earth, an all powerful God ..we cannot limit His power,A Great God whom we can expect great things from  When we truly believe these things our FAITH is strong.

When we Praise God we dispel the adverse effects ...it is a spiritual warfare and prayer gets answered..

.God likes to be acknowledged as a Father who Protects, Provides and Preserves and we admit we are His children totally

dependant on Him

God wants us to consider Him our only Help/ Rock / Strength / Shepherd and to  depend on Him only at all times WITH HUMILITY

r

1. The first two sentences of Hezekiah's prayer correspond to the first sentences of the LORD's prayer by acknowleding God is Almighty and His Kingdom is above all Kingdoms.

2. How are they important to faith? Knowing He is God who created this universe. Nothing is impossible for God.

3. They are important to God answering our prayers when we acknowledge who He is and having full faith and trust that He will answer our prayers.

Q2. (Isaiah 37:16) How do the first two sentences of Hezekiah's prayer (verse 16) correspond to the first sentence of the Lord's Prayer? How are they important to faith? How are they important to God answering the prayer? 

Hezekiah’s first two sentences correspond to the first sentence of the Lord’s Prayer because they both recognise the awesome God as the only One who reigns supremely over all the kingdoms of the earth and there is no one like Him.

These sentences help in boosting our faith by placing God in the right perspective and thus seeing and trusting in His ability to deliver us from whatever challenges we may face.

God responds favourably to our positive faith in Him. Thus when we come to Him in faith and pray, He answers us as long as what we ask for is in line with His perfect plan and will for us.

The first two sentences of Hezekiah's prayer and the Lord's prayer acknowledge God is our father who is almighty and He is God od heaven and earth. yahweh is God above all kingdoms of the earth.

These verses helps us put our complete faith in God because he is a mighty God above everything and he is an awesome and powerful God who is with us and can give us victory in every battle that we face.

when we acknowledge God as our all in all , we declare that there is no one like him we make it known to him that our trust is in him and no other. He is pleased with our total dependance on him as our everything and he hears and responds to our cry as a Father shows compassion to his children.

The first two sentences of Hezekiah's prayer correspond to the first sentence of the Lord's prayer in that both of these prayers start with recognizing and declaring that God is sovereign. He is King over all persons, places and things and His name is Holy and is to highly respected.

These are important to faith because we acknowledge we know that God is above all things and reigning over all things. There is nothing higher or in more command than He is and therefore we can be assured of victory if we would trust in Him. Every time we see this as truth we grow more and more in trust and faith.

Our Father which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.

They show who God is & his holiness and power.

Trusting in a BIG God, results in BIG answers!

Hezekiah asked all this to show all the nations that He alone, is the true God. ultimately, we want the answer to bring God glory.

Q2. (Isaiah 37:16)

Q1. How do the first two sentences of Hezekiah's prayer (verse 16) correspond to the first sentence of the Lord's Prayer?

Q1."

O LORD Almighty, God of Israel, enthroned between the cherubim,

This corresponds to the magnificent opening of the Lord's Prayer,

"Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name."

Hezekiah begins his prayer with an awesome vision of who God really is.

Q2. How are they important to faith?

"LORD" is the Hebrew personal, specific name of God. Hezekiah calls his God by name.

Hezekiah is a monotheist, a believer in one God. And he asserts that God's reign extends over and encompasses every human kingdom on earth, including the Assyrian empire.

Hezekiah sees no limitation to God's power, since he made heaven and earth and can control anything within them.

Q3. How are they important to God answering the prayer?

"Deliver us from his hand!" The basis of Hezekiah's appeal is that God be seen by the nations as the only true God. When offer no resistance to the relationship with God, we can receive gracefully; making it easier to have prayers answered.

Both prayers begin with an awesome vision of who God really is.   There is no limitation to God's power, since he made heaven and earth and can control anything within them.  These prayers begin with Praise and worship.

They help us to increase our faith, as we begin to acknowledge that God is bigger than anything and everything.

When we trust in God completely and have a strong faith that there is nothing impossible for our God, God is pleased with this kind of faith, total dependence on him, and He answers our prayers, sometimes may not be in the same pattern as we want it, but in all His perfect plan will bring us total peace.

When we pray the LORD’S prayer,Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name” - it corresponds with the same LORD Hezekiah was praying to, the God of Israel, He is the LORD of Hosts who sent His Son to earth so that He may tear the veil of separation down, so that the Gentile's may go boldly to the LORD in prayer, just as Hezekiah did, so that we who are faithful may spread our message out before him, believing that He will see and hear our requests.

When Hezekiah prayed "The battle is the LORDS” the meaning of his prayer was that all the kingdoms of the earth would see and know, that the LORD, God of Israel, is the only one that sits upon the throne, (we believe the Son of God is seated at his right hand, a seat of honor, glory, and power) this corresponds with "HALLOWED" be your name, for the verb means, "May Your name be hallowed on earth" may the earth know that you are the only LORD.

How are they important to faith? Without trusting faith, how could anyone go "BOLDLY" spreading out their message before the LORD? Faith and obedience is what opens the door to heaven.

How are they important to God answering the prayer? It is important that we understand what kind of "FAITH" opens doors, the prayers of a righteous man availed much, it is a heart that has been circumcised by the Son of God with that of love, a heart whose desires have been changed from that of pleasing self, to that of pleasing God the Father, a heart that hungers after righteousness, and a desire to walk blameless before Him, therefore when we spread our message out unto the throne of grace, it is through faith that we believe we will receive mercy, it is faith that we believe we will find grace to help us in times of need, for it is this kind of faith that says, "Hallowed be your name in all the earth"

How do the first two sentences of Hezekiah’s prayer (verse 16) correspond to the first sentence of the Lord’s Prayer?

1.  Both brings vision of who God really is.

2.  It drives your faith.

3.  When God delivers us, it shows that he is the only true God.

• 2 weeks later...

Question 6.2

The first sentence of “our father”  is similar to the beginning of Hezekiah’s prayer    in that both glorify God . In both prayers    to God is given the glory for making heaven and earth.  Hezekiah in his prayer sees God seated between Cherubim’s.   The Lord s prayer on the other hand is quite simple.  God is placed in heaven and his name is simply hallowed.  The second sentence of the Lords Prayer is key “your kingdom come” .  When we pray this we are praying that the will of God on earth be the same as that of God’s heaven.  The third sentence follows from   “your will be done on earth as it is in heaven” .  We are praying then that these things that God has ordained through the Bible and especially here in the fifth gospel – justice for all, freedom from poverty and illness, the freedom for a truer relationship with God and the opportunity to love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, and soul and your neighbor as yourself.  The consistency of God’s  message  throughout the Bible and in Isaiah is quite amazing.

Faith is trusting God with all your heart, mind and soul.  To put our lives in the hands of Jesus and let the battle be his for he will win and we as heirs to the kingdom will also win.  Regardless we are with God when we trust in him. 

God only answers prayer if and when he only sees fit: in God’s time not ours.   We as finite creatures are in no condition on an infinite, omnipotent Gods ability to answer prayer.  For it is his will not ours that must be done.  

winstony

Q2. (Isaiah 37:16) How do the first two sentences of Hezekiah’s prayer (verse 16) correspond to the first sentence of the Lord’s Prayer? How are they important to faith? How are they important to God answering the prayer?

Both opening sentences acknowledge the Lord's Heavenly reign, His holiness, and His sovereignty over all things in heaven and on earth. He is the only One and True God.  In Him are all things.

Because I believe these statements and trust in the power and provision of the Lord God Almighty I believe that He can and will answer my prayers.  How can one pray to God and not have this type of faith and trust?

God answers the prayer of those who pray in faith, trust, belief, and sincerity.  As James stated: "But when you ask him, be sure that your faith is in God alone.  Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind. Such people should not expect to receive anything from the Lord.  Their loyalty is divided between God and the world, and they are unstable in everything they do."  James 1:6-8 (NLT).

Q2. (Isaiah 37:16) How do the first two sentences of Hezekiah’s prayer (verse 16) correspond to the first sentence of the Lord’s Prayer? How are they important to faith? How are they important to God answering the prayer?

Both opening sentences acknowledge the Lord's Heavenly reign, His holiness, and His sovereignty over all things in heaven and on earth. He is the only One and True God.  In Him are all things.

Because I believe these statements and trust in the power and provision of the Lord God Almighty I believe that He can and will answer my prayers.  How can one pray to God and not have this type of faith and trust?

God answers the prayer of those who pray in faith, trust, belief, and sincerity.  As James stated: "But when you ask him, be sure that your faith is in God alone.  Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind. Such people should not expect to receive anything from the Lord.  Their loyalty is divided between God and the world, and they are unstable in everything they do."  James 1:6-8 (NLT).