JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. Which of the various proofs for the resurrection seems the most compelling to you? Why? If you had a friend who wasn't sure about the resurrection, could you explain why you're sure that Jesus was raised from the dead?

For me the most convincing proof is changed lives. The transformed lives of the disciples, and the millions of transformed lives since, including my own. We can only be truly convinced of the resurrection power of Jesus by experiencing the fact that he lives today in our own lives transforming dead lives into living realities.

Q4. Which of the various proofs for the resurrection seems the most compelling to you? Why? If you had a friend who wasn't sure about the resurrection, could you explain why you're sure that Jesus was raised from the dead?

The stone rolled away from the grave, His clothes laying empty with no body, His live appearence to the women, then to the desciples, How they changed when they truly saw h\Him alive after the resurrection.

The Spread of Christianity throughout The Roman world By the early fourth century Christianity had become the dominant religion--- Proclaimimg the resurrection from the dead of Jesus Christ

I would tell that friend I know with out a shadow of a doubt that Jesus was raised from the dead because He is alive in my heart and He has changed my life as well as thousands of others. I would then get my bible and read them ( Acts 4:10, Act 4: 33 , Acts 2: 41, Act:4 4, Acts 6: 7 ) I would give these scriptures as proof and also my own changed life from how I was raised from the dead spiritually and now live a whole new life in Christ. Praise God.

For me it is the empty tomb, the grave clothes, and the growth of the church.

For me, a great book to read or even better to hand out to non beleivers-is Lee Strobel's book -"The Case for Christ", this research changed Lee's life.

The assurance I have and what/how to tell someone else is for them to beleive, receive, and become.

As the changes in the beleivers back in the New Testament happened, the changes in me that has happened can be the same for them.

the most compelling proof of the ressurection are the undisturbed grave clothes and the spread of christianity.

If somebody had removed the body the clothes would not be undisturbed, you would see evidence of the unwrapping of the material by human hands.

If we look at the spread of Christanity, we would see after the disciples were given proof that Christ was risen from the grave that they were no longer afraid for their lives, but they knew that they had a risen Savior who would fight their battles for them. it gave them courage to spread the Gospel.

I think that the conversion of Paul is the most compelling to me, He was already a God fearing man be taught the Old Testement living the law of Moses to the upmost, to the point of killing other Christians because He wanted everyone to follow the Law. On the road to Demacus He was introduced to the risen saviour and start the most powerful testomony of the Christian faith. Teaching everyone that would listen and those of us who read and believe that Jesus is the risen Son of God, Lord and Saviour.

I would try but in the end it all comes down to telling them that if they just believe in their hearts that Jesus is the Son of God , who died and was buried and was raised from the dead and if they only confess it with their mouth then they can be saved to.

Jesus. I believe it because God has placed His Spirit in me and my Heart is now His and because of this I believe that Jesus is risen Glory to God.

To me, the sight of Jesus walking, talking, eating, and with the visible hole in His side and nail pierced hands and feet, would be a slam dunk as to my believing His resurrection. Today, we have no such ability other than what we know in our souls, confirmed by the witness of the Holy Spirit within. My faith now works for me. And, it is by my faith that any friend of mine will see a hope that lies within me that will sow the seeds necessary to bring them to the Lord in His time.

The fact that ten of the twelve disciples willingly chose martyrdom rather than denouncing their belief in Christ as their risen Saviour is so compelling. These disciples were ordinary people just like us and the strong convictions and bravery that they displayed, not only risking their lives, but knowing they would die, could never ever be present in them, had they known that this was always just a concocted lie. The martyrdom of these ten disciples are points of documented history and cannot be refuted. They were there. They followed Him; they learned from Him; they loved Him; they witnessed His death in horror; they rejoiced in seeing Him- His scars- communing with Him, hearing His voice, all after His death -- all of which is the basis for their faith, (in Jesus being indeed our risen Saviour), and my faith.

According to Webster's dictionary a witness is one who gives evidence, one who provides personal knowledge of, or one who provides through example; serving as proof of a belief.

My brother called me a few years ago and asked me to invite his daughter to church. He said although he does not believe in all the things church leaders teach (I don't either because they have done much harm) he knows how much my life has changed for the good and wanted that for his daughter. She is now, five years, later teaching Sunday School and is the Womens Ministry Pres..

Though evidences of the burial and resurection are there the best proof that He has risen and that He is LORD is my changed life and the lives I testify to serving as proof by the way I live in obedience to Him.

Darrell

I absolutely agree with what everyone else has posted about proofs of the resurrection - particularly about the changed the lives. Just have an additional question - how does one answer the 'pushback' I've gotten from folks who state "are muslims dying for a lie or the truth"? Or "what about the other folks (Jim Jones cults, etc) that have died for a what they believed to be the truth too"?

Thanks in advance!

One of the most powerful proofs of the resurrection of Jesus Christ is the psychological state of the disciples. They didn't really understand or believe in what Jesus told them about His death, burial and resurrection. What an incredible witness as to the validity of the resurrection of Jeus in the disciples action after His resurrection. They claimed to have seen and interacted with the risen Jesus Christ. Many of them were killed in proclaiming the resurrection of Jesus Christ. They preached the gospel of Jesus Christ with a unique and dynamic sense of urgency and commitment. Even the threat of torture and death did not deter them from preaching what they witnessed. The disciples, as with the vast majority of people, would not have knowingly given up their lives for a lie.

I find this a bit difficult to answer because I like to consider that the total collection of the data as described in the bible is the most compelling. Jesus' sudden appearance in the room where the disciples were hiding has always struck me to be very compelling, also his appearance and gentle request for Thomas to examine Jesus' wounds by touch. Furthermore, would the disciples have risked their lives and be put to death for a myth?

Is perhaps one of the failures of the present church the lack of focus on the central truth of Jesus' resurrection? What think you of Christ?

That Jesus said that He would arise in three days. He did!!!!! His clothes were not disturbed, just the head cloth and that was folded and put in place.

That Christ died for our sins, according to the Word, was buried, and on the 3rd day arose so we could receive forgiveness from the Father. He appeared to many at the same time after being resurrected.

Glory Hallelujah, He Lives!!!!!!!

The most compelling for me would be seeing Him and eating with Him and talking with Him after the resurrection. Knowing He was dead and now speaking and seeing Him again. of course the empty grave and the undisturbed grave clothes help alot too.

As for the friend who isn't sure of the resurrection, I would use any means necessary. I would include every proof. I would use my own experience and I would have them pray that God would reveal the truth to them.

I absolutely agree with what everyone else has posted about proofs of the resurrection - particularly about the changed the lives. Just have an additional question - how does one answer the 'pushback' I've gotten from folks who state "are muslims dying for a lie or the truth"? Or "what about the other folks (Jim Jones cults, etc) that have died for a what they believed to be the truth too"?

Thanks in advance!

I am assuming that you are referring to the extremists in your question. Extremists in all cases do not follow the bible. Members of Jones' church called Jones "Father" and Christ said for no one to call anyone Father except our LORD. He also claimed to be Jesus incarnate. This and a whole lot of other things did not line up with the word. Any extreme group which calls for the sacrifice of human life in order to protect the name of God neither lines up with the Old Testament nor the New Testament especially the New because Jesus is the last sacrifice ever needed for sin. Jesus is our atonement. Do you not think it is a pretty small god who needs our protection??

T.V. evangelists who call for a seed offering of faith are also wrong and have done great harm, but millions of people send in their dollars with hope of a monetary return of 100 times; some even promise a greater return. Isn

The eyewitness accounts are very credible but for me I believe the most compelling proof is the change in the disciples. These timid, ordinary tradesmen that forsook Jesus during His trial and hid afterward became powerful orators and witnesses for the gospel of Christ. Their bold testimony made a tremendous impact in the community around Jerusalem and was carried on into all of the known world of the time.

I was very compelled at the clothing being left in it's place, signifiying that Jesus was raised from the clothing and nothing was disturbed.

If anyone wanted to know about Jesus from me I would tell them everything I know about Jesus and the place he has in my life. How important it is for me that I share everything with him. I would tell them about who he is and that he does not lie and give them examples of this. I would tell them all about Jesus and that,

Jesus had no servants, yet they called Him Master. Had no degree, yet they called Him Teacher. Had no medicines, yet they called Him Healer. He had no army, yet kings feared Him. He won no military battles, yet He conquered the world. He committed no crime, yet they crucified Him. He was buried in a tomb, yet He lives today. I feel honored to serve such a Leader who loves us! Praise the Lord!

For me the compelling proofs are the empty tomb, the angel appearing to Mary to explain He was gone; the neatly folded headcloth with the grave clothes; His appearances to those He loved & had spent time with; & preparing the disciples for the Holy Spirit and their mission for Him.

Unlike all the other religions in the world, We Serve A Risen Savior!!

I don't think any of the various proofs are more compelling than another. All the facts are woven together to make the story complete. One cannot , I feel, talk about the spread of Christianity without the bringing of the other 'proofs' into the story.

Yes, I believe, I could explain why I believe that Jesus was raised from the dead. The older I get the more I understand. I believe that Jesus walked on earth , teaching and listening, was crucified, dead and buried. He appeared after his resurrection to various people, went to heaven, sits at the right hand of God, and some day will return. What a wonderful story we have to believe in. Christ the Lord has risen.

Every proof about the Resurrection is compelling. I however think that the inability of the Jews and all the Lord's enemy to reproduce the body of Christ to convince the world that He was not risen, is the most compelling one. As the Resurrection story was spreading, all they could do to stop its spread was to trace the body and show it to the world. They could not because the Lord's body was no where to be reproduced. This is what I will tell my friend who finds difficult to believe in the Resurrection story. My Lord is risen and I'm risen with Him!!!!!!!!!

I would have to say the empty, undisturbed grave clothes are the most compelling proof of Jesus' resurrection.

Without the grave clothes, when Jesus was discovered missing from the tomb, His enemies could of claimed His

followers had stolen the body. Then there is the way the grave clothes were found, still folded as if still wrapped

around Jesus' body. This indicates He was able to slip right out of the grave clothes without disturbing them.

I doubt if anyone attempting to steal the body, would stop and take the time to remove the grave clothes.

Plus, even if someone did remove the grave clothes from the body, they no doubt would of left them in a pile on

the floor of the tomb. They wouldn't of bothered to fold them nice and neat, leaving them on the shelf.

Of course, one can't really proof the resurrection of Christ based on the empty grave clothes alone.

However, when you consider all the evidence as a whole, 1)the empty tomb 2) the undisturbed grave clothes

3)the disciples psychological state 4)the post resurrection appearances of Christ and 5) the spread of

Christianity, there is only one possible verdict one can come up with.

HE IS RISEN!!!!!!! :D

Of the various proofs for the resurrection, the post-resurrection of Christ is the most compelling to me, because it is the clearest and most convincing proof. Because of it those who saw him came to believe and then by the help of the Holy Spirit they proclaim his resurrection in fearless, so that by their witness many people believe in Jesus.

Yes, I could explain why you're sure that Jesus was raised from the dead, if I had a friend who wasn't sure about the resurrection. I would explain that Jesus has been raised and give the remarkable fact of the empty tomb, the undisturbed grave clothes, the disciples' psychological state, the post-resurrection appearance of Christ, and the spread of Christianity.

The undisturbed grave clothes. ... In order to come out of the grave clothes a person would had to unwraped themself, both of their arms would had been bound to their, so you cannot used your hands.