JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

After Jesus resurrected He appeared to a number of people. Many saw Him, talked to Him and ate with Him.Also many Disciple were killed for their stand on Jesus, who could agree to die on something false.

Jesus real resurrected . An empty grave is there to improve that He is Alive. Many people go there to few His empty grave.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. Which of the various proofs for the resurrection seems the most compelling to you? Why?

Of the various proofs for the resurrection the most compelling to me is the fact that Jesus was seen by so many people after His resurrection.

If you had a friend who wasn't sure about the resurrection, could you explain why you're sure that Jesus was raised from the dead?

Yes. I'd show them that prophecies of the resurrection found in the Old Testament were accounted for and fullfilled in the New Testament.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

All of the many proofs for the resurrection are compelling to me as I believe them all, but in narrowing it down to the physical appearances of Jesus after His resurrection to His disciples, I think that the most compelling one was His appearance to Thomas in which Jesus tells Thomas to put his fingers into the wounds of His hands and side in order to be a believer instead of an unbeliever. There is no record that Thomas put his fingers into Jesus’ wounds but Thomas’ answer to Jesus is one that all believers should answer Him: “And Thomas answered and said to Him, ‘My Lord and my God!’” I would use this example and others, and especially the verse that speaks of Jesus’ appearing to 500 brethren, to ensure a friend that Jesus indeed did rise from the dead and now is our resurrected and living Lord and God!!!!! Amen!

• 1 year later...

Q4. Which of the various proofs for the resurrection seems the most compelling to you? Why? If you had a friend who wasn't sure about the resurrection, could you explain why you're sure that Jesus was raised from the dead?

My brother and I are always discussing this.

The apostels were really convinced that He died and resurrected.

They gave their lives for their testimony.

They shouldn't have died for a lie.

They had no motive for lying because they didn't became rich or mighty.

They were just persecuted all the time.

• 1 month later...

<!--quoteo(post=24427:date=Mar 1 2007, 12:54 AM:name=Pastor Ralph)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pastor Ralph @ Mar 1 2007, 12:54 AM) 24427[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Q4. Which of the various proofs for the resurrection seems the most compelling to you? Why? If you had a friend who wasn't sure about the resurrection, could you explain why you're sure that Jesus was raised from the dead?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I absolutely agree with what everyone else has posted about proofs of the resurrection - particularly about the changed the lives. Just have an additional question - how does one answer the 'pushback' I've gotten from folks who state "are muslims dying for a lie or the truth"? Or "what about the other folks (Jim Jones cults, etc) that have died for a what they believed to be the truth too"?

Thanks in advance!

I hope that by "pushback", you mean "honest and compelling question". :-) Here, we find ourselves among those "folks" who are asking it. :-)

The willingness of the disciples to die violent deaths for their belief that Jesus was raised from the dead does not prove the resurrection. It only proves that the disciples *believed* in the resurrection. However, this is far from insignificant. This piece of evidence challenges the assertion that "resurrection beliefs developed gradually, and were not fully in place until about A.D. 400".

Now we have a group of disciples with a belief in the resurrection so strong that they were willing to die for it. How are they similar to, or different from, the Muslim and Jim Jones believers you mentioned in your question?

• 1 month later...

Q4. Which of the various proofs for the resurrection seems the most compelling to you? Why? If you had a friend who wasn't sure about the resurrection, could you explain why you're sure that Jesus was raised from the dead?

The fact that so many were martyred for believing in the resurrection is the most compelling to me. Someone once told me that I was wasting my time believing in Jesus-I was going to hell, regardless of my faith. I responded by saying that if I die and go to hell, I will go praising God all the way! It had the desired effect! I don't know if that is even possible-I doubt it. But, it caused the person to stop and think about what they were saying, and that is ok!

If someone wanted me to explain my faith in the resurrection, I would tell them that people all over the world are dying for their faith. Also, I would show them in the word of God about Thomas and how he doubted until Jesus Himself showed Thomas the spots where the nails had been, and where Jesus had been cut-all those marks where visible. If we can't believe the Word, what's the use? We can-Glory to God!!!!

"For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance : that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Peter, and then to the Twelve. After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born." (1 Corinthians 15:3-8)

What a glorious verse in scripture, what a promise we have. To me it would be hard to believe that Christ did not raise from the dead, but I have to admit that I did not always feel this way. I guess I always thought that in some ways he rose from the dead, His Spirit, but maybe not bodily but with all the eyewitness accounts of those who saw Him, talked with Him, ate with Him and just was with Him I finally realized that He was there in body not just spirit and that all of Him conquered death. Then there is the wide spread reaction, the rise of Christianity. If Christ did not raise from the dead those against would have such a simple way of proving it as a false religion but that was not done. Why not? Easy and simply because they could not ... there was no body for them to produce to prove the lies they said were being spread. Jesus was no longer in the grave...He was with His Father waiting for the time for Him to return...Amen...and thank You Lord

Q4.

Which of the various proofs for the resurrection seems the most compelling to you?

Why?

If you had a friend who wasn't sure about the resurrection, could you explain why you're sure that Jesus was raised from the dead?

The empty tomb - this is a fact, His body was not there; therefore our Lord and Saviour had risen! All the theories put forward as reasons as to why the body was not there, can all be refuted. Besides the body not being there, there is the evidence of the linen wrappings. If someone had stolen the body, they would have either taken the body and left the wrappings scattered, but only the resurrection could account for the position of the linen wrappings with the body absent. As to the disciples not knowing where the tomb was located and therefore could not have found the empty grave; we read that Joseph of Arimathea took the body to his own private tomb, and prepared the body of Christ according to the burial customs of the Jews, and the women sat opposite the tomb and watched. Not only did Joseph of Arimathea and the women know where the tomb was, so did the Romans - they placed a guard there, as well as a Roman seal over the door. So, all that is left is to claim that the body was stolen. We have to ask the question

• 2 weeks later...

PROOFS: THE STONED THAT WAS ROLLED AWAY. THE WAY THE BURIAL CLOTHES WAS LEFT.

I WOULD AND HAVE TOLD PEOPLE ABOUT THIFVE HANING ON THE CROSS WITH JESUS AND HIM TELLING HIM HE WILL BE IN PARADISE WITH HIM. THE CHANGE IN YOU WHEN YOU GIVE YOUR LIFE TO HIM. THE ANSWERED PRAYERS. THE PROMISE THAT THE BIBLE GIVES US THAT WE WILL HAVE

EVERLASTING LIFE

• 2 weeks later...

A4. The most compelling proof of the resurrection for me is the post-resurrection appearances of Christ.

There are far too many individual eyewitnesses, in very many different locations, at different times, who are without motive to deceive, that have testified to the appearance of Jesus in bodily form to them. The appearance of Jesus in human bodily form after the crucifixion, over a period of 40 days to different individuals, was the topic of common knowledge and widespread conversation. In explaining to a person unsure of the validity of Jesus resurrection, I would first point out, that Christ suffering, death, and resurrection was foretold in Scripture. Luke 24:46-49, Luke 24:25-26. Then we would review the sightings of Jesus by various individuals after the crucifixion.

• 2 weeks later...

The grave clothes, of all the things that could be faked this is the one that can not be. The clothes were left undisturbed, I feel this this some thing that would have been over looked, they would not have been left the way they were, they would have been left in a pile on the floor. Then to have been seen by over 400 people could not have been faked.

• 11 months later...

The various proofs for the resurrection that seems the most compelling to me is the bodily resurrection of Jesus, the grave clothes how despite the fact that Jesus rose from the grave they were still intact, Mary Magdalene and the other women's visit to the tomb, and the empty tomb.

Why? Because to me this is supernatural act of God.

I will explain to this friend basing my explanation on scriptural accounts why I am sure Jesus was raised from the dead. I will base my explanation on these scriptures: Luke 24:25-26; 46-49; Acts 2:41; 4:10,33.

The empty tomb, the appearances of Jesus to many of his disciples and to 500 people are the resurrection proofs that seems most compelling to me.

This is something beyond my imagination. It is supernatural activated by the mighty hand of God.

If I had a friend who was not sure about the resurrection, I would explain from to him from scriptures starting from the Old Testament to the New Testament the prophecies about the Suffering of the Messiah. And how Jesus himself foretold his own death and on the third day he will rise from the dead.

My various proofs for the resurrection that compelling to me is "The spread of Christianity," because even though Jesus died for us, Christianity was reborn so we can live with Jesus when we die and we can beat demons and Satan. I could explain my friend about the resurrection of Jesus' death even if I explain what will happen when we die, my friend can excepted Christ our Lord Jesus.

Which of the various proofs for the resurrection seems the most compelling to you? Why? If you had a friend who wasn't sure about the resurrection, could you explain why you're sure that Jesus was raised from the dead?

the most compelling proof to me is post-resurrection appearances of Christ because a dead man can't talk or walk or eat with them. i could not explain to friend because i am not sure myself how to explain it.

The most compelling to me is the fact that 500 people saw him....... because if he was not ressurrected how could 500 people see him???????? And yas i could explain to a friend about the ressurrection

The proof for me is the dedication of the disciple. This is what I would tell to a friend because it is what convinced me. The disciples had nothing to win and everything to lose to spread a lie. They lost everything, their homes, their livelihood, their families and even their lives to preach the Gospel. It shows that their motivation was based on a fact and not a lie nor on a kind of collective hallucination. They knew what they have seen and they were glad to lose their lives sharing this amazing truth.

I also like the fact that women were the first witnesses. No paternalist first-century Jew would have invented it !

• 3 weeks later...

To be very honest all the proofs are very compelling as I believe all that the scripture says but to answer the question I will say The post resurrection appearance of Jesus Christ seems the most compelling to me in that He is no more seen in the tomb, the burial clothes were lying in the tomb intact, He Later appeared to the twelve and others (who witnessed Him) in physical. Jesus was certified dead before His burial just like the other two crucified with Him. No one certified dead, buried can be seen again just as He appeared in the physical body except by the resurrection power of God. I really need His resurrection power at work in my life. Amen

• 1 year later...

Q4. Which of the various proofs for the resurrection seems the most compelling to you? Why? If you had a friend who wasn't sure about the resurrection, could you explain why you're sure that Jesus was raised from the dead

(A) The grave were empty they saw him put in the grave and seal but when they went to the grave on the 3rd day morning the grave were empty but done the day so many different one saw at different time and place and with him resurrection that morning made a different in my life

thank God he rose because he said he would rise again

• 3 weeks later...

The proof of the undisturbed grave cloth is to me the most compelling as it debunks all the theories/ arguments put up by Christian scholars who have tried to redicule the core of our faith. It could not be explained away by all the different arguments put against the resurrection event because the schoalars could not find any good reason to counter it.

The post resurrection appearance to many witnesses is also staggering and is proof the my Lord Jesus is risen indeed.

• 5 months later...

The most compelling to me is the empty grave and undisturbed grave clothes because this gives me hope in being resurrected after death when Christ comes back. I would share the Good News about Christ death and resurrection which gives us new hope for the future and death is not the end, but the beginning of eternal life. (Acts 2:24, Acts 2:32, Acts 4:33). My belief in Christ resurrection is that no one can tell me any difference because it is foretold in the Old Testament and was carried out in the New Testament is all the proof you need.

• 4 months later...

For me the most compelling evidence of the resurrection is the spread of Christianity.  This religion of ours would not have spread if we did not have the faith to believe in the resurrection.  This is our religion.  I do have a friend who does not believe in the resurrection or the birth.  He does not believe in God.  We have talked and I do not understand how one can look at a flower, a baby, or the animals and not know there is God.  He is love, the warm feeling in your heart.  The peace I feel in my heart and the one who hears my prayers and my fears.  He lives because I live.

• 1 year later...

I find that the empty tomb on Easter Morning is very compelling to me. The fact that an angel from Heaven is there and says that Jesus is not here but among the living. The fact that the death linens are not disturbed at all, is so very exciting to me. And the fact that Jesus came into people's lives after that Sunday and allowed them to touch the wounds that were still there but not bleeding was the turning point for me.

I know that I can share my excitement and my inner thoughts and feelings with them.

I find that the empty tomb on Easter Morning is very compelling to me. The fact that an angel from Heaven is there and says that Jesus is not here but among the living. The fact that the death linens are not disturbed at all, is so very exciting to me. And the fact that Jesus came into people's lives after that Sunday and allowed them to touch the wounds that were still there but not bleeding was the turning point for me.

I know that I can share my excitement and my inner thoughts and feelings with them.