JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. By their Fruit

• 3 months later...
Q2. (Matthew 7:15-20) Jesus says that one's inner self will eventually become apparent (Matthew 12:34). What kinds of "fruit" might be clues to a false prophet?

The true test of a true or false prophet has to do with the kind of charactar of their fruit. Appearances can be deceiving. But taking time to inspect the fruit will give a more certain indication of the nature of the tree.

Suppose you are not skilled in picking out trees by the appearance of their foliage. If you were to come upon a orchard of trees that had yet borne no fruit that season, there would be no way for you to tell what kind of trees they were. You would simply have to wait until the fruit began to come. As the fruit started to appear. All doubt would be erased as to the kind of tree it was. If you saw apples, you would conclude that it was an apple tree. If you saw oranges, you would conclude that it was an orange tree. If you saw pears, you would conclude that it was a pear tree. You would know by the fruit.

What are the marks of a true prophet? What are the marks of a false prophet?

One area in which Jesus expects us to bear good fruit is the area of our charcatar. hear we are talking about who we are on the inside. What are your motives? What are your attitudes? What are your ambitions? Jesus said in ( John 15: ), "By this is my Father glorified, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be my disciples." Paul in Galations ( 5:22-23 ) tells us that, " the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, parience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control." In other words, If we are walking in the power of the Spirit then we will be displaying the fruit of the Spirit in our lives.

When we are trying to evaluate one who speaks in the name of the Lord, first look to the inner character of the individual. Look inside. Look at the heart, Take the time to get to know the person well enough to find out what is on the inside.

( Colossians 1:10 ) Paul exhorts us to " walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, To please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and Increasing in the knowledge of God." A true prophets will be involved in doing the work of the Lord in a selfless way. He will not be in it for his own glory. He will not be in it for profit. He will be a servant of God seeking to serve others. Another area of good fruit has to do with sound doctrine.

Evaluate what you hear by the Word of God. Look at the charactar of the persons life. Look at the goal of the persons ministry. If what you see lines up with the Word of God, then rejoice. If there is something not right, then beware!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have experienced the preaching and teaching of false prophets. Thankfully the Holy Spirit kept me in the Word which confirms itself and I was able to turn ashes into beauty.

Those experiences showed me that false prophets do not understand the bible nor care to. As a result they often gather to themselves disciples of the false doctrine that they are spewing out. The end result are followers twice the children of hell than they are, which I see as bad fruit. I have a habit of making certain that what I am being told aligns with the Word. If not, it is false teaching. Many false teachings have lead to the creation of the numerous sects that we have in Christianity.

There was a scene in the Jim Jones movie in which he blantantly threw the bible down during a service, saying that he no longer needed the Word. The end result of those who believed that rubish was Jamestown and over 400 suicides. Bad fruit is truly rotten.

Q2. (Matthew 7:15-20) Jesus says that one's inner self will eventually become apparent (Matthew 12:34). What kinds of "fruit" might be clues to a false prophet?

The kinds of

1) False prophecies, actions and attitudes that don't conform to those of a true Christian leader, such as greed, power mongering, spititual, emotional, sexual abuse, exalting him/herself above Christ. One that affected me, was a deacon with a lying spirit, which led to a false accusation, and when confronted, had no remorse. I guess the list could go on and on. One I see in someT.V evangelists, is manipulation to get wealth..."I know there are at least 10 of you the Lord is saying to give $1,000.00 in the next 10 minutes!!!".....another one I've seen exposed is pastors/leaders, charging money for those who get into a prayer line...nonsense!

Also, twisting the Word of God, as well as over emphasis on a single doctrine, to the exclusion of the rest of scripture, such as Prosperity, and then ignoring sin, and service, and grace, and salvation, etc.

Fruit attributed to a false prophet would be: large amounts of truth with a lie thrown in--would not square with the Bible; as several have mentioned, their motivations will be self-centered; this could possibly lead to more bizarre behavior, easier to distinguish that they are false prophets.

The fruit of false prophets are like raisins. What's "inside" is dried up and gives no life. Examples might be hypocrisy, anger, greed, idolatry, abuse, neglect, favoritism...essentially, the antithesis of the fruits of the Holy Spirit. When a false prophet reveals himself, there is no mistaking that the Truth is not being upheld. Everything stands or falls against the Word of God. Using the Word as your governor, it is easier to distinguish the true prophets and teachers from the false prophets and teachers.

Another characteristic is "mixture"...a little bit of poison injected into the root system of a fruit tree brings danger to the fruit. Mixture with the Word of God disguised as Truth brings danger to the soul. The pure essence of the Gospel brings forth good fruit all the time.

Going through the process (of dealing with false prophets) is difficult and it is hard to admit the ones you've trusted have proven untrustworthy...however, it causes one to the lean completely on the Lord...and no one else. Learn what you can...continually seek God...and trust the Holy Spirit to guide, direct, and energize you in the way of Truth.

Praise Jesus...He is the Truth.

The fruit that show our inward self, selfishness, always wanting to be in the lead, not listening but doing all the talking. A person who thinks more highly of them selves than they should. A person who would lead us to believe that things of the world are ok just this once. A person who says one thing then practices another.

We need to have a gift of discernment as there are quite a lot of deceptions going on in this area in the name of Jesus. When people seek their own honour or try to draw attention to themselves then we can easily discern the true one from falsehood. When prophets are humble and point the people towards Christ then they are genuine. They display the attitude of

Clues to a false prophet are when they are always critical of things happening in the church and of others. Not being involved but voicing opinions on how things should be conducted. Strange actions and attitudes, being too vocal. Leading one way and living another.

Q2. (Matthew 7:15-20) Jesus says that one's inner self will eventually become apparent

I am glad Jesus said," it is my inner self that others will see." We have the promise of a new life, found in Christ Jesus, so we have God's Spirit living in us.

Jesus said,"He would not leave us alone, we will have the Holy Spirit;" So we can, and are expected to produce, good "fruit!"

Others may be looking for my shortcomings, but God is looking for "fruit," fruit of the Spirit; (Galatians 5:22) love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control - AND we who are Christ's are to crucify the flesh with its passions and desires, so we WILL walk in the Spirit, and the world will see the One who is living in us and His fruits.

(Matthew 12:34). What kinds of "fruit" might be clues to a false prophet?

A false prophets fruit is imitation fruit, poison to those who eat of it, so look for the clues, are their fruits promoting God's goodness, or "the fruit of self, of the flesh?"

This makes me think about the serpent, Satan, who is very cunning in the words he speaks. The father of lies came to Eve, speaking words that came from his inner being, lies to deceive, to destroy God's work, as he tempted Eve to eat of the forbidden fruit; why? so she would no longer bear good fruit, for she was created in God's image.

Satan wanted to destroy this "faith" she had in God, and she didn't take notice of the fruit of the words he was speaking, and she took, and ate of the forbidden fruit.

I would say a clue to a false prophet would be seen as opposit to those of the Spirit's fruit, cunning, wicked words, full of deceit, "promoting self" would be a important clue to me. :unsure:

Q2. (Matthew 7:15-20) Jesus says that one's inner self will eventually become apparent (Matthew 12:34). <_<

What kinds of "fruit" might be clues to a false prophet?

Strange or somewhat perverted teachings.

Dominant character flaws.

Actions and attitudes that don't conform to what you expect of a Christian leader.

False prophets ravage the flock and destroy sheep. Sometimes those false sheep are the pastors themselves. They teach one thing and then live another way. :(

A false prophet will draw men to himself so that he may please his own sinful nature. A true prophet will lead men to Christ and will frelly give those men what he has freely received from Christ.

The kinds of "fruit" might be clues to a false prophet are firstly, bad fruit, that is, he/she has bad character, his/her character does not conform to what God

Kinds of "fruit" that might be clues to a false prophet would be strange or somewhat perverted teachings, dominant character flaws, actions and attitudes that don't conform to what you expect of a Christian leader.

• 2 weeks later...

The kind of "fruit" that a false prophet might exhibit are:

Strange or somewhat perverted teachings

Dominant character flaws

Actions and attitudes that don't conform to what you expect of a Christian leader.

• 1 month later...

Not long ago, I received a sermon on giants in The old Testament from an online pastor. I e-mailed him back, telling him that I thought his essay was interesting. The next thing I know, he's talking about Jesus returning for His bride, and when that would happen. He was setting a date for it, and I instantly took him off my address book. The hair on the back of my neck stood up! We don't know when this will happen-the event is imminent. Anyway, the point is, if someone tells us something that isn't biblical, then you know it's a false prophet. Lakeland, FL is a good example, but I won't go there. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Fruits that might be clues to a false prophet could be a person who says one thing and does another, knows all the right words and can quote all the scriptures but doesn't walk the talk, someone who looks for other "options" or opinions that rationalize behavior other than what Jesus teaches us.

• 4 months later...

The words they are speaking, their attitude and actions, they would be living as the world lives, they would be judging people, and they would be proud and boastful.

Bad fruit is preaching the gospel and then living our way not the way Jesus would like us to live.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (Matthew 7:15-20)

Jesus says that one's inner self will eventually become apparent (Matthew 12:34). What kinds of "fruit" might be clues to a false prophet?

They generally talk vaguely, seldom telling us anything about the holiness, the righteousness, the justice, and the wrath of God. They will preach about the love of God, always preaching nice comforting messages - they try to be all things to all men. They don