JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Defeat vs. Victory

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newer Christians with developing faith don't yet know/understand this overcoming power. And at times, even the most passionate follower of Christ has to confess the failure to believe. In general, I think the victorious outlook of the transformed mind (Romans 12:2) simply is not taught enough.

But a large percentage of believers just chronically live this way. They don't expect power or victory except in an ethereal way-out-there-someday-way. I know that for many years I absolutely agreed that the power of God to overcome was certainly real, but only real to me personally in a vague for-the-whole-wide-world kind of way. I just didn't grasp that it is for me in a concrete personal way.

I think the defeatist mentality that plagues so many is essentially rooted in immature/weak/deficient faith. To me, this is the person who has head knowledge about Christ but has not fully applied that knowledge to the heart. This person plays around on the fringes but has most likely never "sold out" to Christ; talks the talk and plays a religious game but doesn't really walk it out when no one is looking; reads/studies the Word of God but never shifts from "park" to "drive". From this person, we'd probably hear things like "Well, that's just the way I am." or "I just can't

Q1. (1 John 5:4-5) How does a defeatist mentality differ from a belief that in Christ we have overcome the world?

It starts with the attitude, which affects our motivation and then our actions....or how we live our lives.

A defeatist is passive, depressed, impotent, sees him/herself as a victim of hopeless circumstances, and barely survives life, impacting few if any. He/she may look to people to "rescue" them, rather than relying on the Lord to deliver and rescue them. They live with a heaviness of spirit and a negative, gloomy outlook...the glass is always half empty. They may or may not believe that God is real and impacting their lives. Some believe He's "out there" but is not involved in their world. They may have received Christ as Savior but not Lord, and therefore are stunted in their growth. They may be bound with bondages and need deliverance to be set free. I walked here for quite awhile, due to a violent, abusive childhood, and was afraid of God, as I'd been of my parents....but praise God, when I sought Him, He pulled me out of that slimy pit of despair and defeat!!!!

An overcomer, lives a life of faith, with a "can do" belief that "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" attitude of faith, and the expectation that no matter what difficulties are encountered or what the enemy throws at him/her, there will ultimately be a good outcome, because God promised for those who love Him and are called according to His purposes, He causes all things to work together for good....that he/she is being conformed to the image of Christ....Rom. 8:28,29 He/she believes that God's "eye" is always upon them, seeking to bless and draw them into closer relationship. I praise God that now for years I have been an overcomer, and by His mercy and grace and persistent, unconditional love, I'm not only a new creature in Christ....I KNOW I'm a new creature in Christ....I BELIEVE God, not my circumstances..

What part does faith have in this overcoming? What part does unbelief have in a defeatist mentality?

The defeatist may indeed believe IN God....while the overcomer not only believes In God, but BELIEVES God...believes that God's Word is alive and active and working on his/her behalf...believes God is the Victor and has overcome the world...and therefore secured that victory for him/her. Believes that God is Abba Father, Jesus is Lord and Savior, the Holy Spirit is ever-present and lives in them because they have been born again. Believes that Christians WIN in the end... no matter what the "meantime" looks like.

However, I have to be vigilant...Satan is always lurking, looking for a foothold to drag me back into the pit...but God has given us His Word....our sword, to speak into each situation and to send him and his minions back to the foot of the Cross where they belong! The Blood of the Lamb overcomes the evil one...It's Satan who has been defeated.

Q1. (1 John 5:4-5) How does a defeatist mentality differ from a belief that in Christ we have overcome the world?

These two thoughts are diametrically opposed. The defeatist mentality comes out of the realization that the flesh cannot do anything by itself. When we try everything, including looking for our politicians, to save us from the world we find ourselves in this defeatist mentality. On the other hand, when we realize that Christ has done the work of overcoming, we rejoice in his victory.

What part does faith have in this overcoming?

Faith is in believeing what we cannot see, hence we do not "see" with our eyes in the victory. We nonetheless know we have victory because we read these truths from scripture.

What part does unbelief have in a defeatist mentality?

We are defeated when we lack the faith to believe in Christ.

It is because of Christ, the One who overcame the world, that we should not have a defeatist attitude, we were a people without hope, but we are no longer that person, our hope is in the One who overcame, the Son of God, so now we the children of God also have this power to overcome, we have the Holy Spirit living in us, this power is greater than Satan,

[*]How does a defeatist mentality differ from a belief that in Christ we have overcome the world? What part does faith have in this overcoming? What part does unbelief have in a defeatist mentality?When we are in tumultuous seasons, knowing that Christ has defeated sin and restored our relationship with the Father, brings us hope to continue amidst our personal trials

Q1. (1 John 5:4-5) How does a defeatist mentality differ from a belief that in Christ we have overcome the world? What part does faith have in this overcoming? What part does unbelief have in a defeatist mentality?

A defeatist has the attitude of the lost, they have no hope of a life to come.We who believe in Christ have an eternal life in Him to look foward to.our faith is what gives us that hope in Christ and the power to over come the world of unbelief. The unbeliever who is stuck with the defeatist attitude has no hope because the have nobelief and no faith in Christ as their Saviour.

Q1. (1 John 5:4-5) How does a defeatist mentality differ from a belief that in Christ we have overcome the world? What part does faith have in this overcoming? What part does unbelief have in a defeatist mentality?

Anyone who does not believe in Jesus overcoming the world operates in an attitude of self-sustainment. They only can depend on themselves and/or their significant other. They believe only in their own ability-their own power. A child of God, on the other hand, knows that God is in control of everything, and we can depend on Him to keep His word! Gloray! I know for a fact that God loves me, and He is watching out for me! I am going through some tough times right now-everyone is. But I know that God will give me what I need to survive in this life, until He sees fit to take me home. I don't need to worry. And, if I am worried, all I have to do is talk to Him and tell Him how I feel, and He will ease my mind and my heart! He's so good to me! :D

Q1.(1 John 5:4-5)

How does a defeatist mentality differ from a belief that in Christ we have overcome the world?

Here is how the defeatist mentality differs from the belief that in Christ we have overcome the world:

The Bible says that Christ has overcome the world.

If we believe in Him, we are in Him and so we also have overcome the world.

That means that some day our body dies but that our spirit will live forever with Him.

There are also people who doubt if God is real - how can a real God allow all misery?

I am one of those people - sometimes I am afraid that He is not real and that all is for nothing.

Strangly, I never doubt if Satan is real because you can see his deeds everywhere.

According to this verses, christians like me are focused to much on this world (I 'borrowed' this idea from our forum-friend).

It is said that we don't have true faith.

But even though, I really would appreciate a better life on earth - with a job and people who care.

Does this make me a bad christian?

The defeatist doesn't really believe the power & work of Jesus, while belief that Jesus has overcome the world & we will too empowers us to overcome.

Faith has everything to do with overcoming. We believe Jesus overcame death and the world & we will too.

The defeatist mentality is run by a lack of faith in Jesus Christ & His power to overcome.

Q1. (1 John 5:4-5)

1. How does a defeatist mentality differ from a belief that in Christ we have overcome the world? A defeatist mentality responds in a passive manner to untruth. A belief that in Christ we have overcome the world leads one to stand up for the the truth but to do so in a loving manner.
  2. What part does faith have in this overcoming? Strong faith leads one to want to stand up for the truth.
  3. What part does unbelief have in a defeatist mentality? Unbelief would indicate something is not important and not worth standing up to support it.

FAITH HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH OVERCOMING BECAUSE WITHOUT FAITH IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO PLEASE GOD. GOD'S KINGDOM OPERATE THROUGH FAITH IN HIM AND HIS ABILITY TO DO JUST WHAT HE SAID HE CAN AND WILL DO.A DEFEATIST MENTALITY IS ONE FILLED WITH DOUBT AND UNBELIEF, SO THAT EVERYTHING SEEMS HOPELESS AND IMPOSSIBLE.I THINK IN HEBREWS IT SAYS:" AND THIS IS THE VICTORY THAT OVERCOMETH THE WORLD, EVEN OUR FAITH". WE NEED FAITH TO SEE ANSWERS TO OUR CHALLENGES IN LIFE BECAUSE IT IS THE SUBSTANCE OF THE THING HOPED FOR, THE EVIDENCE NOT SEEN AS YET.DOUBT AND UNBELIEF ARE LIKE THIEVES THAT THE ENEMY USES TO TRY AND ROB YOU OF YOUR FAITH SO YOU'LL NEVER HAVE THE VICTORY. BUT THE DEVIL IS A LIAR; WE HAVE ALREADY OVERCOME HIM BY THE BLOOD OF THE LAMB.I'VE HAD TO REPENT OF UNBELIEF MANY TIMES AND THE LORD HAS ALWAYS BEEN FAITHFUL TO HELP ME.PRAISE HIS HOLY NAME!!! :)

The defeatist mentality does not have anything to fight with, always walking around unhappy and discourged. But the true Christian has everything to fight the troubles and trials of this life with. We have the power of our Father dwelling within us. We have the faith to overcome any obstacle in life that we might face. It seems like the greater the problem that we conquer, the stronger we get in our faith. If you live in a defeated atmosphere and unbelief will keeep you defeated. You have to believe in God and His promises that we obtain through our daily walk with Him. With Christ as my leader, all things are possible.

bondservant

Q1. (1 John 5:4-5)

How does a defeatist mentality differ from a belief that in Christ we have overcome the world?

As believers we have overcome the world and we can now already claim victory. We know that Jesus said,

Q1 The difference between a defeatist mentality and a belief is that that the former

relies on their own strength and is easily influenced by the world. They are

their own god, whereas a believer is born of God and Jesus' victory on the cross

has overcome the world for the love of us.

An unbelief is often passive to the face of evil and evil men and faces a lot of

tribulation in life.

Without totally surrendering our lives to Christ, and growing in His love and faith, we start doubting our salvation. We start falling into Satan's trap wondering if our actions and beliefs are sufficient to overcome the flesh. As doubts start to creep in we often tend to turn to legalism to try and justify our salvation.

We should be asking Christ to increase our faith as did the disciples in Luke 17, and we should be living in obedience to His commandments, to love one another as He so loved us. Taking this stance brings assurance in the hope we have in our eternal future and brings glory to Gods name.

In a defeatist mentality, one has no confidence in his ability to be victorious over the overwhelming evil of this world. The reason for this is that one does not recognise the tremendous power available to win and overcome evil, sin and any demonice attack. However, as children of God who believe in the victory of the Lord Jesus over sin and evil, we have confidence in His ability to deliver us from evil. Our belief in the overcoming victory of Jesus boosts our own faith and gingers us to stand firm knowing that we will overcome too.

Unbelief leads to a defeatist mentality because any one who does not believe that the Lord Jesus has overcome and can also help us to overcome will live a defeatist life.

Q1. (1 John 5:4-5) How does a defeatist mentality differ from a belief that in Christ we have overcome the world? If we have a defeatist mentality, we are assuming that we are powerless in the face of the world and Satan. We sit back, and let the world take its course simply because there is nothing we can do about it. That is wrong. Jesus has already overcome the World and Satan and, as His representatives on earth, we have the right to assume that victory has already been won and that as a result we can overcome the world, whatever it may throw at us and no matter how hopeless our actions seem to us. Whenever faced with a seemingly hopeless situation, rather than adopting a defeatist mentality, I always go back and read Matthew 17:20 where Jesus tells His disciples " truly I tell you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed you will say to this mountain "move from here to there" and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you." It is this faith which overcomes everything the World can throw at us.

What part does faith have in this overcoming? Everything, as Jesus makes clear in Matthew 17:20

What part does unbelief have in a defeatist mentality? We can only overcome the World if we believe that Jesus the son of God has already won the victory for us. On our own, we will fail and it would be reasonable to adopt a defeatist mentality, but through faith in Jesus, we can believe that the victory is already ours.

fHow does a defeatist mentality differ from a belief that in Christ we have overcome the world?

A defeatist mentality sees one already losing the battle while a firm belief in Christ knows that victory is ours and already assured because of what He has done through His death and resurrection.

It is by faith in Christ that we overcome this world and the situations that it presents. Our Faith, in the fact that He has been and is victorious over satan, death and hell, gives us the assurance that we can trust in HIS promises for us.

Unbelief is the bed rock upon which a defeatist mentality is built. It simply makes it so that one has nothing to anchor hope in.

We can overcome because Christ did. As believers we can't have the defeat mentality because this will cause us to give up. We can be victorious through Christ Jesus. Unbelief is no faith at all. Anything that you truly believe you will let nnothing stop you from going all the way.

How does a defeatist mentality differ from a belief that in Christ we have overcome the world? We who overcomes the world obeys God rather than following the expectations of the world.

What part does faith have in this overcoming? The faith that overcomes the world is faith in Jesus Christ as the Son of God who died for us.

What part does unbelief have in a defeatist mentality? A non-believer does not have faith and without faith there is no hope. Hope distinguishes the Christian from the unbeliever, who has no hope. Without hope, you have nothing.

Q1. (1 John 5:4-5) How does a defeatist mentality differ from a belief that in Christ we have overcome the world? What part does faith have in this overcoming? What part does unbelief have in a defeatist mentality? Wow! to have a defeat mentality, sadly shows a disbelief that Jesus the son of God and it shows that you have no belief in our Lord that He have come and that He have defeated. We have overcome the world because are born again in Christ. Nothing is impossible, all things have been completed and the task no matter who it may seem to us, we are over-comers of it all. Without faith we have no trust in what have already taken place. Without Faith how can one say that they beleive? If someone is a unbelievers than sadly they are already defeated, many must understand that even in they situation God is still in control and the Victory have already been won. We must hold on and always remember that All is in God hand and Our test is just a graduation day for another victory for the Kingdom of God. I pray that many will only just believe and trust in our Lord because truly what else and who else is Greater? NO ONE AND NOTHING.

A defeatest attitude isn't a part of the Christian life. Christ came so we can have hope knowing the joy of his return for he came to overcome the world. Faith is knowing that we are bound for Heaven and any other belief isn't a part of Heaven's faith.

In Christ we can have confidence that He is control although at times things seem bleak. That doesn't mean sticking our heads in the sand (that would not be faith) but facing the full reality of the evil we see we can see the Hand of God at work and when we can't we know that He is allowing somethings with an eternal view in mind. The defeatist mentality which is easy to sink into if we aren't in His Word and prayer cannot see God in anything.

Our faith which comes from the Holy Spirit is the key player in the battle. Without faith we have no victory just defeat.

Unbelief denies the Holy Spirit and I think is lazy. It is the key player in a defeatist mentality.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26