JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. False and Deceptive Philosophy

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man concocts philosophies and belief systems. These will be empty and false when they're based on an illusion where lies, fallacies, and deceptions are presented as truth. An illusion is something that's not real - a fantasy, a dream, a delusion. It's a misleading concept or idea. It's like a mirage that looks good but has no substance. Such belief systems might be outwardly adorned with scraps of truths, but they've been perverted by the wicked human heart and shredded by compromises. They have a superficial shell with no bedrock core. When you lean on them, they collapse like a brick wall without mortar, leaving nothing to hold you up. They morph, adapt, distort, wobble, and disintegrate under pressures of relativity, scrutiny, and intense testing. Compare this to Truth, which is fixed, solid, unchangeable and unwavering. Truth is an immovable, permanent foundation. Truth is authored by only one source, the Creator of all things.

Yes, along with all the rest of the world, at times I've bought into belief systems only to find them filled with lies and emptiness. Flawed humanity can't produce anything in perfection. The only unfailing satisfaction I've found is in the true Truth.

Q1. (Colossians 2:8) Philosophy refers to a prevailing belief system. How can a belief system be empty and false? Have you ever personally experienced being captivated by a belief system only to find it deceptive and hollow?

A belief system is empty and false if it is based on false premises. It has no grounding, there is nothing in it so it is empty.

Yes, before I knew the Lord I was in the world system and being taught that it is "the real thing" I bought in. Once I knew the Lord I realized how empty (meaningless, meaningless, everything is meaningless) it is. Only in Christ is there any lasting pleasure and fullness and what a fullness that is.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q1. (Colossians 2:8) Philosophy refers to a prevailing belief system. How can a belief system be empty and false? Have you ever personally experienced being captivated by a belief system only to find it deceptive and hollow?

A belief system can be empty and false when its teachings credits humanity, not Christ, with being the answer to life

Yes a number times a come across some teaching that contradict God’s word. Some teach that when you are poor you are cursed.

[/size]

The bondage and defeat of people's spirits and sense of worth to God by such lies is heartbreaking. Whoever oppresses a poor man insults his Maker, but he who is generous to the needy honors Him. Proverbs 4:31

A belief system can be empty and false when its teachings credits humanity, not Christ, with being the answer to life

Yes, when I was a child the calvanist caught me in their web.

They taught me about predestination.

Therefore I believed there's no use in praying because He's determined everything already.

Years past by without praying and reading Bible.

In another dr. Wilson study, I learned several examples of prayer that worked.

Abraham, Moses, Elia, ...

I knew their stories but I never realized this principle.

Such a believe system is deceptive and hollow.

Q1. (Colossians 2:8) Philosophy refers to a prevailing belief system. How can a belief system be empty and false? A philosophy based on anything but the truth is empty and false. Paul has written that all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge are "hidden" in Christ. Therefore, anything else is empty and false. James compares earthly and heavenly wisdom in James 3. The underlined words in the scripture below describe the difference.

False, earthly wisdom:

"Such "wisdom" does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, of the devil. For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice. (James 3:15-16 NIV)

True, heavenly wisdom:

But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere." (James 3:17 NIV)

Q1. (Colossians 2:8) Have you ever personally experienced being captivated by a belief system only to find it deceptive and hollow?Almost all of us have been captivated at one time or another by two philosophies or belief systems...

1. Materialism – the philosophy that physical well-being and worldly possessions constitute the greatest good and highest value in life.

2. Evolution – the belief system that man is descended from apes instead of created by God.

While not overtly spiritual in nature, both of these hollow and deceptive philosophies have taken many captive and lured them away from Christ and the Truth.

Philosophy refers to a prevailing belief system. How can a belief system be empty and false? Have you ever personally experienced being captivated by a belief system only to find it deceptive and hollow?

I think that we can be fooled...by the ways of tradition, of only doing what is "good" per se...thinking of pleasing the world and forgetting about pleasing Christ Jesus. If we only serve out of ritual , and not out of profound and abiding belief we trick ourselves. No, I do not think I have been pulled in by false or hollow beliefs....I have slipped and fell along lifes way, but through the love of Jesus, I have gone forward.

Belief system: sounds man made,implies a structure that can be defined,and therefore predicted through application of human logic to a set of parameters that define it...philosophy (from the lesson: derived from love and wisdom,as possibly wisdom given in love,or maybe even a love of wisdom) could be something as good as one's collection of experience and memories gathered during a lifetime walk with God,or as empty and false as one's collection of suppositions based on anything that one chooses to hold dear.Deceptive and misleading,as a deliberate false prophet's calculated enslavement of the heart;worship of the "elemental spirits" can be seen in today's overconfidence in man's collective technological mastery and understanding of the of the order to which God gave some measure of structure to His universe throughout this age: "I can fix this","I can understand this",I can,...because,I,or We...or...yea,..I've been there,pray I never venture there again,and pray that when I begin to give credence to some man made tradition,no matter how much I love the people that it honors,that somebody,some person in the service of our God,stop me,in Jesus name,and that by his Grace I be brought back into the light.

Thanks,y'all,...great comments !

Vince

Q1. (Colossians 2:8)

Philosophy refers to a prevailing belief system.

How can a belief system be empty and false?

Have you ever personally experienced being captivated by a belief system only to find it deceptive and hollow?

Any belief system not from God is empty and false. They put human reason above God, and worship man himself instead of our Lord. For this reason they are nothing more than meaningless deceit. I always remember truth is not found in human wisdom. Praise the Lord! I have not been attracted to any other belief system. However, I must say I have had a few approach me, and this when I was but a new Christian. Looking back, I can truly say I must have been protected from being led astray. Christ is all we need. He is supreme! Thank you Lord Jesus!!

Philosophy refers to a prevailing belief system. How can a belief system be empty and false? Have you ever personally experienced being captivated by a belief system only to find it deceptive and hollow?

A belief system is empty and false by carrying someone away from the truth into the slavery of error. Whereby, they use their wisdom especially worthwhile knowledge of a comprehensive nature to speak.

Yes, before i really know God word... but now, no more. For the truth will set u free. and God word is truth

During the hippie era of the sixties ther was allot of philosophies that was untrue but never less people lived by them. Many young adults were trying to find themselves thru drugs and sex and thought it would take them to a deeper understanding of life. In reality and sadly it took many of them to their death because of satan's deceptive philosophies. When we are young we have no fear and life is forever and we had different ideals than a mature adult has. I only wish I had found God before I went thru those foolish philosophies because satan uses them on me from time to time

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing because plumbing is a humble activity, and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because philosophy is an exalted activity, will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy. Neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." John W.Gardner

We have a problem in the church today of too many philosophies. The theory that only their way, by either baptism, rule following, membership, or speaking in tongues can save is contrary to what the truth is. These philosophies; wrong as they are, are not as harmful as the prosperity preaching of some.

1 Timothy 6 "If anyone teaches false doctrines and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, he is conceited and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions and constant friction between men of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain."

How many millions of copies of "The prayer of Jabez" were sold, how many millions of dollars have been sent into empty churches "as seen on tv"? I don't understand how we can give to an empty promise and at the same time ignore our neighbor in need..

Darrell

A belief system is designed by man so therefore it will be empty and false. Being in relationship with God is the only way to not fall into the trap and being obedient. I have fallen into so many belief systems in my long life to find out later the deception.

There are many traditions and belief systems that have been passed down that are simply based on an idea or thought someone had - an act or program someone began that was designed to satisfy themselves. . . Although it was gratifying to them and possibly others - there was no real value or truth in it. . . We sometimes start family traditions that are passed down from generation to generation that gratify us but have no real value to anyone outside of our family or group. . .

YES, I think many of us - if not all of us - have, but thanks be to God for revealing the truth to us before it was too late. . . Depending on what country we originally may be from - or what part of the country we may presently reside in - there are customs and traditions we may participate in that have been found to be deceptive and hollow. . .

Some may jump brooms at wedding - some may hang horseshoes over their doors - some may refuse to sleep on or exit a certain side of the bed, -horoscopes, readings and such, etc. . . These are things that even believers may participate in - yet they are deceptive and hollow. . .

B)

Belief systems can be false-or packed with lies- and also, they can be based on traditions. It's kind of like the whole Christmas thing. It is suppose to be Jesus' birthday, but as children, we are taught that "Santa Claus" will come if we are good boys and girls. Then, of course, there is the Easter bunny. When we should be celebrating Jesus' resurrection, we call on Peter Cottontail to come hopping down the bunny trail! What's up with that? My daughter says that it is for the children. Ok-if you want to give your children something good, and long-lasting for the holiday, tell them what Jesus did for them, and what it means. Tell them the truth! There's a novel idea! :blink:

Because it its no based on the truth! (The word of God). Yes I am afraid I have, Like the word says " my people parish because of lack of knowledge" .

<br />Q1. (Colossians 2:8) Philosophy refers to a prevailing belief system. How can a belief system be empty and false? Have you ever personally experienced being captivated by a belief system only to find it deceptive and hollow?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Philosophies can be based on false information that has just been passed along. Yes, I have been captivated by a deceptive belief system.

a) A BELIEF SYSTEM IS FALSE IF IT IS BUILT ON THE LAWS AND IDEALS OF MAN.

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE TRUE BELIEF SYSTEM AND THAT IS ONE THAT ECHOES WHAT IS WRITTEN IN THE SCRIPTURES AND HAS STOOD THE TEST OF TIME.

B) BY DEEP STUDY OF THE SCRIPTURES AND REGULAR CONVERSTIONS WITH GOD AN INDIVIDUAL WILL BE GUIDED BY HIS HEART,WHICH IS WHERE THE TRUE SPIRIT OF GOD EXISTS.BY LISTENING INTENTLY TO WHAT GOD HAS TO SAY AND ACTING UPON HIS WORDS,A PERSON WILL NOT ALLOW HIMSELF TO LURED AWAY BY FALSE PROPHETS.

The philosophical belief system does not stand on the solid rock, therefore it is inconsistent, unsteady and full of gaps. I have been captivated by traditional belief which was full of rules and law, but with empty result.

You know its funny... When I began with this lesson this morning even before I had read this question, I was asking the Lord why I had not fallen for other doctrines n my life time as other have before and currently? I mean I sure have had the opportunity and for these doctrines to present themselves to me...I can ever remember a very good friend of mine in college was a buddhist and she took me to one of their chanting sessions. I remember vividly (this was over 15 years ago!!) watching all of these people sitting still chanting to this big big gold buddah which sat in the middle of this incredibly beautiful hollywood hills home type mansion and i sat next to a window and watched them and at times chanted what they chanted...but all the while i was internally thanking the Living God for his presence in my life!!! The HOly Spirit gently told me that he has abided in me because I have remained in Him!! So to sum it all up, Christ has always been a part of my life because we have a relationship!! He is just now something I picked up along the way or someone I pray to everyother day. He is my father, my provider my friend my companion... I look to him and always have...

A "prevailing" belief system is one that is currently in fashion but changes with the times. God and His Word do not change and therefore are the solid foundation we can rely on for the life we live and the death we will someday face. A spiritual belief system that is based upon whatever man has mentally conjured up will lack the whole truth of God and thus is unable to sustain us and have a good end result in our lives.

There are many belief systems we buy into that may not even be "religious" but once we take them in, they will ultimately affect us on a spiritual level. Whatever we put in our minds will eventually be evidenced in our speech and actions. These will either conform to the principles in God's Word or they won't.

I was captivated in a belief system in that I grew up in a very religious (albeit dysfunctional) home and I tried to follow the rules of the church but they led me to see God in a negative light...a God Who demanded perfection from me, Who could never be pleased w/ me, Who would weigh the good against the bad deeds in my life when I died and would send me to hell (most likely). This religious philosophy gave me no peace, no joy, and no understanding that I could have a relationship w/ a loving God who is full of mercy and grace. It was empty and unsatisfying. Praise God that He put the desire to seek after Him in my heart and have discernment regarding the falseness of other "philosophies" that I was introduced to. In college, I prayed for God ("if you're really out there") to show me if He was real. Immediately after that, He brought various people (that didn't know each other) in my life who shared the gospel w/ me. I knew in my heart that God was answering my prayer and that the God/Gospel of the Bible was true, and I was saved.

Any preveailing belief built on falsehoods and lies are not going to bear fruit. Things of man may sound great but will not assure the salvation as promised by Christ. Being a Christian is not easy as are following the hollow teachings and actions of some false teachings.

In modern times we are sometimes seduced to spend time and money for gain that is only for the philosopher or promoter to gain from and we are left empty and broke in finances or spirit.