JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Grumbling and Complaining

Q1. (Exodus 15:24) What are the reasons that people grumble and complain? How do fear and faith relate to grumbling? What symptoms of grumbling do you see in your own life? What should you do about it?

They usually fear something,maybe failure, loss or maybe safety but it leads to a lack of trusting in God to supply their needs. I have the same in my life at time I tend to worry and that is a lack of faith. Jesus said for us not to worry because we can't change anything

only remember that God the Father is in control.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Exodus 15:24) What are the reasons that people grumble and complain? How do fear and faith relate to grumbling? What symptoms of grumbling do you see in your own life? What should you do about it?

The grumble and complain about food and water. If you have fear you can't have faith, and if you have faith you don't have fear, if you have faith you are going to grumbling. I have a problem with grumbling not have money or can't affor d a lot of thing that I need. I have to trust God and he will give me what I need and not the the thing that I don't need.

Answer to Q.1: The reasons they grumble and complain consist of the non-acquaintance of living in the desert,uncomfortable way of living in comparison to leading normal lives (though being slaves)in Egypt; i.e. eating, drinking and to rest. All of these for they lack of Faith and Trust in God's words, including not 100% sure in the leadership of Moses.

I think it is quite obvious to relate fear and faith to any grumbling and/or complaint, for men with fear are very seldom to think of causes and reasons or how to solve the problems; it is much easier to complain especially when they think they have the leader. And when they add fear with not enough faith anything can happen.

In my own life, I several times complain, grumble and burst out into the air, friends and surroundings without reason, without cause - most of all to what annoyed me or anything that did not come along my expectations. Though I regret each time after that but the real symptoms of selfishness, impolite, injustice and not knowing and having true love still remain in me. In short, I believe I do not know God yet for I do not know the LOVE of God.

What should I do about it ? I should confess that I am not so far a good Christian; I should be more humble, pray more and plead to HIM for His Mercy, Pardon, Love, Wisdom and Providence.

The people grumbled and complained because they water was unsuitable for drinking. They also complained about the food or lack of,Moses and Aaron's leadership,plus just about everything else.

By grumbling,the people showed a lack of faith. Despite the miracle of the Red Sea crossing,the people didn't have faith that God would supply their basic needs of food and water.

I often grumble and complain when things don't go the way I want them to or the way I think they should. Also I tend to get grumpy whenever I'm going through a trial or a difficult time.

What I do is,I often end up confessing my attitude as sin and asking God's forgiveness.

During the Exodus, the people grumbled and complained because of their lack of faith in God's plan revealed to Moses. Though they saw the miracles, they didn't believe that God's plan would take place in His perfect timing. People in crisis want to see an end to their trials immediately; it is in the waiting that our faith is revealed. When we have to wait, our faith is tested. It is our corrupted nature that diminishes our faith and causes us to look harshly at our circumstance and blame ourselves, God, or whoever else we can that we cannot see an end to our trials. I know I tend to try to take matters into my own hands and do what I think is best in a situation. Sometimes, I put forth effort to try to change my circumstances, or try to help another which does not bear any fruit. It is important, especially in those times, to put the issues at the foot of the cross and acknowledge that I cannot even find my way out of a paper bag without His help. Have mercy on me for my lack of faith! Trust in the Lord in your trials; He will always do the best thing for you. Speak praises for your trials, knowing that they will add to your faith. Believe with your heart and words that He will rescue us from us and lead us on the right path for our lives.

"- in the presence of the God in whom he believed, who gives life to the dead and calls into existence the things that do not exist." Romans 4:17

People grumble and complain when things are not going according to expectation and are afraid and frustrated. Fear is expressed by indicating hopelessness and faith is expressed by showing hope even when things are not going right. Symptoms of grumbling in my own life are felt when adverse situations persist. I should pray about it to gain more faith and belief that things would later change for the better.

(Exo 15:24) And the people grumbled against Moses, saying, "What shall we drink?"

Fear is one of the main reasons people grumble. Envy and impatience are two other of the main reasons for grumbling. With faith fear should not be there as faith should lead us to understanding that all predicaments can be handled by the Lord. In my own life fear sometimes takes over and grumbling enters in. I need to take all situations to the Lord and listen and listen hard as God will help me through every situation. I need to put joy in my life as that will push out the fear.

PEOPLE WANTS THING TO GO THERE WAY. AND COMPLIN WHEN IT DON'T. WE NEED TO PRAY AND PRAY MORE.I AM HOME TODAY FROM CHURCH BECAUSE OF WAYS IN MY CHURCH.I HAVE LOST FAITH IN MY CHURCH LOST MY JOY. LEADERS NEED TO STAY IN THE BIBLE AND LEAVE THEIR OPINIONS OUT OF IT. IF YOU CONFIDE IN YOUR LEADERS THEN IT SHOULD STAY BETWEEN THE BOTH OF YOU AND OUR SAVIOR.

I SUPPOSE I AM GRUMBLING TODAY BUT WITH A HEAVY HEART. FAITH I HAD IN CERTAIN PEOPLE MAKES ME COMPLAIN. IT HAS TOOK AWAY MY JOY, BUT IN SAYING THIS I STILL BELIVE AND WILL PRAY TO MY SAVIOUR FOR HELP WITH IT. I WILL PRAY ABOUT THIS AND TRUST IN OUR LORD JESUS TO HELP ME.

PRAY FOR ME THAT IF GOD IS LEADING ME IN A DIFFERENT DIRECTION I WILL FOLLOW.

1) People grumble and complain when they are fearful, frustrated, jealous, impatient, have lack of faith etc.

2) Fear causes unbelief which cause us to grumble.

3) Symptoms of grumbling I see in my life is sometimes I become discouraged when things don't happen or move fast enough. I find myself grumbling about the weather, cost of food, gas too high etc.

4) I should pray and ask God for forgiveness and continued strength to endure.

• 2 weeks later...

People grumble and complain out of dissatisfaction/unmet expectations. When God’s people do this they are essentially saying He is not good and can’t be trusted. Complaining is evidence of a lack of faith, which means that fear/emotions are in control.

When I realize I have fallen into grumbling about things, I have to apologize to God and ask for help in exercising my faith in Him to handle things exactly right. I have trained myself to speak praise into every situation where I find myself fretting or complaining or trembling in fright. Then I need to “Fear not, stand firm, and see the salvation of the LORD” which He will work for me. I often have to wait on Him, but He always gives peace and comes through.

[/size]

• 3 weeks later...

1) What are the reasons that people grumble and complain?

When they are not satisfied with their expectation.

2) How do fear and faith relate to grumbling?

Fear is always due to lack of faith and grumbling is due to fear of losing something.

3) What symptoms of grumbling do you see in your own life?

Emotion, anger and unhappiness are the symptom of my grumbling.

4) What should you do about it?

Continue to pray for strength to overcome them.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Exodus 15:24) What are the reasons that people grumble and complain?

Reasons that people grumble and complain are lack of faith, dissatisfaction, impatience, discouragement, and fear in God and our leaders.

How do fear and faith relate to grumbling?

Fear and faith relate to grumbling

What symptoms of grumbling do you see in your own life?

The symptoms of grumbling in my own life are the dissatisfaction and discouragement of the leader

1,They have alot of fear and little faith.

2,Fear is un belief and without faith u dont trust god

3,If it dont happen the way u want it to .

3, pray on the sitation and trust n the lord let his will be done on earth as it is in heaven amen

• 7 months later...

What are the reasons that people grumble and complain? rebelliousness causes grumble and complain. Dissatisfaction causes this too and of course we cannot leave out fear.

How do fear and faith relate to grumbling? With fear there is no faith

What symptoms of grumbling do you see in your own life? I love fearness. I will complain when their is unfairness to others. It doesn't matter who it is coming from. I am praying to let go of this atitude. We need to allow God to take care of all situation. Whenever we are treated unfairly or even to others, we need to give it to the lord so we do not get eaten up.

What should you do about it? Leave it to Jesus. JUST PRAY

• 1 month later...

4a)People are fearful about the effect change in church,family circumstances will have on them, fear of the unknown &disatisfaction when not having a faith perspective.People see the difficulties for them in a situation,more easily that acknowledge

B) Fear comes when we don’t put our trust in Jesus but allow emotional reaction of unknown&difficulties (grumbles)to take over than trusting Jesus to help us work through a situation. C)When fee disheartened by circumstances,fairness, try to pray about situation&think of the many blessings I have through Jesus and of how I can help the many less fortunate than me.

• 2 months later...

Q1. (Exodus 15:24) What are the reasons that people grumble and complain? FRUSTRATIONS, UNBELIEF, COMFORT

How do fear and faith relate to grumbling? FAITH AND FEAR CAN NOT OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE

What symptoms of grumbling do you see in your own life? INTOLERANCE FOR OTHERS LACK OF COMMITMENT & INSENSITIVITY TO THEIR OWN BEHAVIOR ON OTHERS.

What should you do about it? ATTEMPT TO RESOLVE. IN THE END, I CAN ONLY CHANGE MYSELF THROUGH PRAYER.

• 1 year later...

In Exodus 15:24 we see the people grumbling and complaining because they didn't have suitable drinking water. 

People with little or no faith in God live in fear.  They complain and grumble about everything -- because life is all about them and their needs.  People of true faith live in an attitude of thanksgiving and gratitude toward God.  Even during the most trying and challenging times they thank God for all things -- the good, the bad, and the ugly.  Why?  Because as Paul said in Romans 8:28:  "And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them."  We are fortunate even for even being allowed to participate in creation.  That should be a constant source of thanksgiving and joy.

Grumbling is about lack of faith and trust in God.  It is insulting to God.  I turn off grumbling and complaining by immediately praising and giving thanks to God. 

• 10 months later...

So many reasons for grumbling and complaining. When it comes to following God or one of His leaders we tend to balk with uncertainy in some situations and maybe are fear motivated in others. Depending on the challange of the moment determines how your heart responds. We all respond differently. In groups we tend to grumble with our peers or shout it all joy with them. Faith dispels fear but fear brings great grief and unbelief to the heart. Challanges of health or family issues may send me to grumbling if there is a fear mix and it is stirred by another. My way of approaching this heart response is to sit in the presence of God and talk it out. Seeking His reasurrance even though He may not provide specifics on the solution He will provide always settles my heart. 

• 2 years later...

lesson 4, Q1;

1. People grumble for different reasons some of which could be impatience, fear and unbelief.

2. Fear and faith are direct opposite of each other, so its important to know that we can't do without at least of out of the two. Thus, someone does not have faith in God, unbelief will sets in with is the foundation for fear and births grumbling and complain.

3. Impatience with difficult situations .

4. Someone should put his trust in Yahweh.

• 5 years later...

Q1. (Exodus 15:24)

What are the reasons that people grumble and complain?

How do fear and faith relate to grumbling?

What symptoms of grumbling do you see in your own life?

What should you do about it?

The wilderness journey had begun.  Three days into the trek and they had found no water.  That already was hard  and then they found water but it was undrinkable.  So these people grumbled and complained because their needs were not met. They were faced with the unknown and a very real desperate need.

Grumbling and complaining often is initiated by fear of how a need will be met.  How one will cope in a new situation.  A way out seems impossible.   The norm in life has been disrupted.  A life of faith is non existent to the grumbler.

Dissatisfaction because the obvious is not being done and it affects the everyday movement of life.  The future norm is stared in the face and it is scary.  PRAY and trust God that He still moves mountains in this day and age.  This too will change and come right.

• 1 year later...

I think a lot of the Israelites' complaints made sense. "Grumbling," pejoratively termed, is a rational response to a circumstance which God has not corrected. It's a response to suffering. It's the stage BEFORE giving up, or losing faith entirely.

I do not see the Israelites' complaints, dissents and comments as caused by fear but rather by a RATIONAL analysis of the circumstances in which they found themselves. 

1. The complaint that Moses' demands to Pharaoh had made their lives miserable and worse was valid. This really did happen. This wasn't a fear of punishment but rather a cold-considered analysis of their condition. They were suffering. That was their complaint. 

2. It did look like they would die of either starvation or dehydration. This, too, was a rational assessment of their circumstances. These weren't mere complaints. Moses had brought them into an unfamiliar desert without any provision including water ... so yes, they were understandably angry about the situation.

3. They were NOT in any condition to fight a war. Moses had brought them into a desert to fight in a weakened physical condition. This would be a that they would lose. No wargaming needed -- they were toast. And, they knew it.

4. Their impatience and disappointment with their circumstances must have been palpable. They were stuck in a desert, without homes or hope, for years and years ... until they died. Snakes were the least of their problem. They had lost hope.

--

Desperation is better than despair. That's a phrase I saw in one of my morning devotionals, today. In this story, I see desperation turning to despair.

Why?

It is very, very difficult to have faith in deliverance when desperation never ends, when it grinds on and on, year after year, with no resolution and no path forward. That was the situation of the Israelites (and myself). Faith and the fading glimmer of hope kept them above despair ... but not by much. I'm sure they teetered on the edge of desperation many times nearly falling into despair.

Grumbling doesn't describe what they felt.  That word demeans their emotional experience -- do not consider their plight as a mere consequence of deformed moral character or a lack of gratefulness. They weren't merely complaining ... they really had no reason to have hope. They were stuck. Desperate. Nothing was happening. It was hot, ugly, dangerous, never-ending so they were desperate.

I'm sure they prayed to die. Death would be preferable, they may have thought, to another year of waiting in the desert with no path forward. 

--

What does a Christian do when the desert times of suffering never end, and no path forward can be seen, when the pain continues and continues ... when hope recedes? Endure it. That's it. These are times when one lives to exist, hoping God notices and delivers, while not seeing any evidence of His loving concern or willingness to help.