JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Grumbling and Complaining

Q1. (Exodus 15:24) What are the reasons that people grumble and complain?

People tend to grumble and complain when they're impatient for the result they're seeking.

Also if they see no end to a problem they're having they tend to complain in the hope that someone will do something about it. In my experience I've found that older people complain the most if things aren't to their liking.

How do fear and faith relate to grumbling?

In the case of the Israelites they lacked faith in God to do as He'd promised. Fear of God is the most likely reason they complained to Moses. The problems they had in the desert were very real though. They were scared because they faced an unknown environment and had no prior experience with thirst and hunger, let alone the enemies that awaited them out there.

Maybe they should have voiced their concerns to Moses in a more respectful way.

What symptoms of grumbling do you see in your own life?

OK, here we go: I read that God works for good in all things for those who love him. Tonight wouldn't be the first time I've asked God when that's gonna start! I mean, I'm really fortunate that God is in my corner. I'd hate to see what'd happen to me if God wasn't looking after me!

Business-wise, last year I had my worst year since 2003. This year's off to a good start. I wrote off one of the two old cars that I drive. The other one ran as sick as a dog and no one could fix it. At least I got to swap the engine and transmission from the wreck into the other one and kind of made one decent car from two. All that cost me heaps of money though. Just tonight I tore the front bumper half off in a parking lot when it caught on something as I backed out. (They're plastic these days. What total idiot thought that was a good design idea?)

Last year I was diagnosed with diabetes. I can't raise my arms sometimes for the shoulder pain that has been constant for over a year now, the result of the long biceps tendon in each arm snapping in separate incidents. My lower back (broken vertebra) is getting so bad that I can't even drive for an hour without having to get out almost screaming in pain from the sciatica and other referred pain in my legs.

I wasn't always a professional musician. I drove trucks and forklifts for 15 years, then got retrenched. I had a good job lined up to start but my old boss needed me to go work at the transport company that took over our work because I knew the products. So he "white anted" me at the place I was about to start and a couple of weeks later I snapped my bicep tendon working at the transport company lifting something too heavy and awkward and haven't worked a day job since. I've struggled to make a living as a professional musician for over 13 years now. I'm on a pension because of all my injuries and medical problems. I got no liability payout for any of my injuries either.

In 1982 I developed agoraphobia and I've asked God a million times to heal me. "My Grace is sufficient for you" . . . Yeah? I don't think so! The strain on my marriage was too much for my wife and we got divorced in 2007. All I got from the settlement was my clothes, my musical equipment, my rusty old home gym, and my superannuation money. The Global Financial Crisis drained my superannuation investment money so badly (I lost 40% of what I had invested and accumulated) that I can't ever afford to retire and I'll have to work till I fall off the perch.

Every time without exception when I make a bold yet cautious step forward in my musical career it seems the whole universe conspires to drive me forcibly back until I'm further behind than where I was before stepping out . . . in faith too I might add. Every time without exception when I tell someone I'm doing well or I tell people I have regular work at this or that venue for the next few months, sure enough I lose it all. I'll get undercut and badmouthed out of the place by my competition.

My Powerlifting career and my reputation as a Christian sportsman who gave glory to God for my success were ruined by the president of our Powerlifting association spreading lies about me so no one would believe me if I ever told them he was a proven paedophile! I promised his wife I'd never do that but he couldn't take the chance. Now I had God behind me all the way in Powerlifting and I lifted for Him, which was common knowledge at the time. What I want to know is why God allowed the enemy to get such a complete win over me? I'm not welcome at any Powerlifting events even as a spectator after the bad mouthing my former close friend gave me.

Every time some new problem arises I really try to see God's benevolent hand in it and I look for a positive thing that God can use the situation to create, but for the life of me I can't. It just keeps piling up. Do I complain to God? You better believe I do!

Like the Israelites my problems are real. They're ever-present.

"Many are called but few are chosen" rings in my ears all the time. I'm not a Calvinist but I have to wonder sometimes if I am one of the people God has chosen to be a child of God or if I'm wasting my time. Maybe I didn't get an invitation? Gotta ask the question.

What should you do about it?

You tell me. I suppose I could count my blessings. That won't take all day.

Sometimes we never know why we go thru things. It could be that the way you handle could be your witness for Christ. Someone could be watching you to see how you are handling it. It could even be the person who did it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Exodus 15:24) What are the reasons that people grumble and complain? How do fear and faith relate to grumbling? What symptoms of grumbling do you see in your own life? What should you do about it?

They question why this happens and grumble when everything does not goes as planned and if they have no faith then they begin to fear the unknown

If you dont have any faith you live in fear and find yourself grumbling

We should do as Moses and take it to the Lord but we should also try and solve some of lives problems on our own without grumbling, just do what is right. :rolleyes:

Q1. (Exodus 15:24) What are the reasons that people grumble and complain? How do fear and faith relate to grumbling? What symptoms of grumbling do you see in your own life? What should you do about it?

People complain and grumble because of dissatifaction, greed. inpatience, fear. Fear causes us to grumble but having faith should dispel all grumblings. That is easier said than done but there are times when God seem to be lending a deaf ear to my problems I have to keep reminding myself that God has a plan for my life. Pray and positive thinking is the Key .

People grumble and complain because of their fear which is rooted in their unbelief.

Fear leads to grumbling and faith helps us to ovecome grumbling.

The symptoms of grumbling I see in my own life include the impatience I feel when I am faced with troubles; I sometimes become weak in faith and think God has deserted me.

What I should do about it is to pray, asking God to strengthen my faith.

Faith and fear do not co-exist. They are diametrically opposed. The reason why people grumble and complain is fear. Fear of the unknown. I remember what

Job said, "...the things I fear most has come upon me..." Job dug a hole for himself and fell in it. What he said has come to pass in his life. Words spoken yesterday

affect how we live today.

Fear and faith relate to grumbling when we do not trust God the Father to meet our needs. The Word of God says perfect love casts out all fear.

Faith comes by continuous hearing of the Word of God. Fear will vanish from our lives if we soaked ourselves in the Word of God.

The symptoms of grumbling I see in my own life is when things do not work out the way I want them to be.

What I can do about it is when I change my thinking then my life can change for the best. God has the provision laid out for me. He will not drop it on my lap. I have to claim it. I believe it. I claim it. Glory!!!

1.We grumble because we are afraid; for our lives, might starve, die of thirst, be killed, suffer, be mocked and ridiculed. We grumble at the slightest things. Sometimes it is jealousy of others.

2. We fear, that is human. We have faith to sustain us if we only ask for it. God is with us, providing for us. When our faith is low, doubts come into our hearts and we become discontent, start grumbling.

2. Impatience, irritability, jealousy are things I have to pray over. Wanting my own way, not Gods way.

4. Pray lean totally on God. Die to self. Learn complete trust

One of the major reasons is fear stemming from unbelief and a lack of faith. Grumbling is the outcome of fear. When we fear, we start to feel dissatisfied with our own situation. We have taken our eyes of the the Lord Jesus and instead we focus on the problem. Grumbling can take its toil on us causing us to be depressed and moody and may eventually cause us to sin when we direct our fear at God - "God, why have you allowed this (and that) to happen?", "God, did I not give enough offering in Church on Sunday?", etc. Although it is sometimes easier said than done, the one critical thing we must do is always have God at the centre of our lives. Our focus must be on Jesus. When we shift our attention away from Jesus, we will start to sink, like Matthew. We need to submit our problems to God and trust (and have faith) that God is faithful and just to do what He has promised.

The reasons that people grumble and complain are because they lack the true faith that God will help them through their troubles. If you have fear you don

Fear and unbelief caused the people to grumble and complain. Fear can take over and if you do not take authority over fear it will lead to discontent. I have to constantly remind myself to FEAR NOT, and to trust God for everything little and big. I have a delay instead of being upset and fearful of being late I trust that God knows I need to be somewhere and he has a reason for the delay. This was quite apparent when we avoided a avalanche while traveling up North. Taking authority over fear, prayer and trusting God for ALL things is how I personally deal with fear, grumbling and complaining. :)

What are the reasons that the people grumbled and complained?

The people have exhausted their food supply that they brought out of Egypt. In a desert setting that would be expected in such a harsh environment. A habitual love of an unproblematic life style is what most of us prefer. Here in this narrative of the Israelites they were complaining about their living conditions. They recollected that in Egypt even though they were in slavery at least they had a food supply and ample water. Being delivered from slavery was what they had been preying for, for quite some time and at last their preys have been answered.Now with their new freedom they face a different life style. They are now dealing with normal life conditions of survival but in a different setting. They seem to be complaisant with the previous life even though they were in bondage. Due to their lack of understanding they didn't know which they favored. Once an event occurs that takes them outside of their familiar environment they become somewhat anxious. It is like being in uncharted water not knowing what direction to take and what lies in wait for them. They lose their faith and fear overtakes them. Then they begin to doubt, which can lead to grumbling and complaining. It is incredulous that just a short time earlier that the Israelites were complaining about their slavery, which the Lord delivered them from. Being content seemed not to be in their scope. I would venture to say that their are those today that can't find true contentment in their live's regardless of their circumstances.We must remember that God is at work behind the scenes working out things for our good no matter how it looks. In Philippians chapter four the Apostle Paul states that he had learnt the secret of being truly content."I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". Union with the living exalted Christ is the secret of of being content and the source of abiding strength.

Fear and faith relate to grumbling in that they both are based on belief. Without faith it is impossible to please God. Fear is credited to unbelief, which is obnoxious to God.

When adversity surfaces that take me out of my comfort zone I too am faced with anguish. But regardless of my anguish I can always look back and see where God as always pulled me through. It may not have always been to my aspiration but I can see that it has always been for my good every time.

Prey that my faith will be strengthened.

People grumble because they just want an easy life.After witnessing,miracles,upon miracles from God,They expect that everything is an easy way..wht for God is in thier side.Just like a spoiled baby,they expect everything to be spoonfeed,and if at one time they open their mouth and no food was given,they complain and throw tantrums.

2.How do fear and faith relate to grumbling?

If you fear someone you wont just throw tantrums or complain easily.If you have Faith,then you know that despite the difficulty,there will be some deliverance.You have Faith because you have seen it happen before...

3.What symptoms of grumbling do you see in your own life?

Difficultsituation..indebtedness,unemployment...I also grumble,and complain,but at the end of the day,I always renew my mind(Romans 12:2- And be not conformed to this world : butbe ye transformed by the renewing of your mind..)knowing that God is in control.There are things that I cannot understand(Deut 29:29- The secret things belong unto the LORD our God : but those things which are revealed belong unto us...)..those things and circumstances that happen in my life,THINGS THAT I CANNOT CONTROL...I JUST RAISED UP TO HIM,AND TRUST IN HIS WONDERFUL PLAN(Jer 29:11),and JUST REST IN HIS GRACE.

3.What should you do about it?

Phil 4:6- Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

1 Peter 5:7-8-Casting all your care G3308 upon him ; for he careth for you . ; 8 Be sober , be vigilant...

LEAN ON TO GOD PROMISES,STAND FIRM IN HIS WORD,PRESS ON TO HIS WORD..FOR JESUS IS FOREVER FAITHFUL,EVEN IF I AM NOT...JESUS CANNOT DENY HIMSELF(2 TIM 2:13- If we believe not , yet he abideth faithful : he cannot deny himself) ..PRAISE AND HONOR,AND GLORY BELONGS TO YOU MY HEAVENLY FATHER IN JESUS NAME ...AMEN..

The reasons that people grumble and complain is because they don't like the situation that they are in, and that they want everything to be easy for them. They expect that everything should be fair and that unfair treatment can cause the complaints and grumbleness. Fear and faith is relate to grumbling is when we don't trust and believe in god, we tend to fear that things does not go our way, so we grumble, but when we add faith to it, we tend to shift our grumbling to having more faith and trust in God, so when we do grumble, we know that God is in control of the situation, it will make us feel alot better. The symptoms of grumbling comes from not getting things that we want, and things and circumstances does not go as we expected (self-centerness), when we had planned it, and hope for it, or even when we pray for it, and it does not happen. We should continue to trust and believe in God to deliver us from such temptations to grumble which may result in fear of losing what we want in life, since complaining is a sign that we don't like the life we are in or the situation we are in.

Grumbling and complaining is unbelief. I see too many in my own life since I try to accomplish some things that are not within my reach.

The children of Israel grumbled because of fear of: thirst; starvation; dying at battle; frustration due to difficult situation and envy. These causes of grunling are also found with us today.

Fear cause our faith to diminish and we tend to find some one to blame as the cause for the situation we find our self in.

We blame the Pastors and Elder in our Church whenever our expectaions are not met. we also grunble agaisnt our Mangement when things dont seem to be moving well in the Company because we do not want to loose our jobs. We blame the Government for many things including the economic downturn in our countries.

The solution to fear of any sort is to turn to God in prayers and God will deliver us from fear and from the cause of fear itself.

We may never be completely blameless and pure, since this may fall outside the realm of the possible. If we were to be so, there would be little need for prayer and r=forgiveness. What we need to do is to share the load with God. When we feel the need to argue, we can take a moment to pray and ask God

What are the reasons that people grumble and complain?

The reasons are too many to list, answering the question as best I can, all of the motivations you mentioned in the lesson and more. Fear, dissatisfaction, envy / jealousy, impatience, frustration, illness ect...

I do not understand the question (these two are polar opposites). Fear defined has many meaning; faith as well but can be summed as belief; relate in the sentence it's meaning connection between, relation, interact looking at it . Perhaps I may be misinterpreting the question, if I am please correct me. Perhaps you are alluding to fear, when acted upon affect /effects a person's belief system[faith]. At this magnitude, when it does, fear can cause a person to grumble / complain. Dr. Wilson and to all on the forum If I am off the mark, please provide guidance and or feedback.

The symptoms sadness, hurt, and sometimes frustrations. Those are just a few symptoms, their cause when I experience or see a person whom is a child of God deliberately sin. When I see a leader deliberately deceive people and or take advantage of people. I understand that none, no one is perfect, however it pains me greatly when the witness of the body is bad, even when I am a part of that witness. I fully understand that God is going to get His glory, yet it hurts observing someone deliberately frustrate, disdain and take advantage of His grace and mercy. Anyone that is around me will see one or all of the obvert symptoms I've mentioned come to view when I experience this and I may grumble or I may pray, I may ask a brethren to pray with me or for me. I do not maeke this comment in a self righteous manner, for sometimes I too frustrate the grace of God. Be it in thought and not action, or by way of placing before my eyes something that does not edify, (anger, pride etc..) Again the key word I want to emphasize members of the forum is deliberate acts, deliberate.

What I should do I do as the Spirit lead, as I adhere to the Spirit. I pray, sometimes as I go to the Word I find comfort. I pray that I become more Christlike, gain and extend compassion as He does. View life as He does, and strive to live it in the manner that would be pleasing unto Him.

Some reasons for grumbling and complaining among people include: dissatisfaction, ineffectiveness, self-centeredness, cynicism, skepticism, unbelief, lack of faith, fear, etc. Fear and lack of faith stop people from completely going all the way with God. Otherwise, giving God our trust and ultimately our will. If I am a Christian and do not practice my faith according to Biblical principles then I am not going to know all the blessings and benefits of being a saint. Therefore, I become frustrated leading to grumbling and complaining. I once grumbled a lot, then I gave it all over to the Lord and for the most part I don't grumble and complaint. I am more thankful than anything else. This is where I am today. So, lack of faith, vision, and trust in God lead to a dark and depressing life of grumbling and complaining.

We blame and complain because we can't tolerate suffering. A natural response to suffering is anger (blame and complain).

There are lots of good answers in this forum.

A different angle:

ALL of life is a lesson from God.

If we trust God (faith) we should be able to handle whatever comes. This is not always true for me but it is the goal.

A common cultural theme in present day America is a sense of entitlement: I am entitled to food, to pleasure, to recreation, to peace, to happiness, to make my own choices, to live free of suffering.

I think that concept of entitlement as a philosophy of life, is NOT of GOD. Surely we want those things, comfort, happiness, food, shelter, new stuff...but if God is the "air we breathe" the things we think we need (the things we think we are entitled to) become less important. This is faith that casts out fear.

With this living on the breath of God...we have less of a need to shout about our rights, grumble, and tell people what we are entitled to. Those things take a back seat to the focus of our lives: what God wants.

I grumble when I think my rights and person have been threatened, when I think I have received an injustice. Jesus led with a different model. He didn't grumble or complain even when his rights, his dreams, his life were unjustly taken from him. How could he do this? He trusted God's ways were higher than his ways. That God's purpose could be worked out even in his suffering. This subjecting our needs to God's will is a mark of faith. As citizens of God's Kingdom, we need to internalize Jesus' model.

The reasons that people grumble and complain are that they are dissatisfied with things as they are or they just need something to complain about. They also complain because they expect someone else to do things for them instead of trying to help themselves. People are just never satisfied with what they have and always seem to want to blame others for their problems.

Fear and faith relate to grumbling in such as they grumble and complain because they are afraid of what might or might not happen and when they grumble or complain this shows lack of faith, that whatever it is they are grumbling about happening etc. cannot be stopped and they do not have the power to prevent whatever it is that they think is going to happen.

The symptoms of grumbling that I see in my own life, are those of having a very painful disorder that is impossible to treat and the unbearable pain causes you to complain instead of just giving it to God. The normal things that most people complain about and tend to feel sorry for themselves because of these things.

The most sensible thing to do is to give it over to God and trust him to handle it for us but we tend to get caught up in whatever it is that causes us to complain and forget to trust God with our problems.

People grumble and complain when they are disappointed, afraid, ...

If we have fear, we grumble - but if we have faith, we pray God to take the negative emotion away.

Well, I often grumble - and then I only feel more negative.

Clearly it doesn't work to make one feel better.

Well, stop grumbling, and pray/praise/sing instead.

The reasons people grumble and complain is fear and lack of faith. In most cases fear is brought about by lack of control and the unknown. In this case those complaining were not in control but followers of Moses. Just like today...most people grumble about those in leadership positions in fear of what they will do that affects our way of life. Faith that God will bring about an outcome that has a purpose and no matter what that outcome that it is in accordance with God's plan. Praying and taking action to solve the problem is better than complaining and grumbling.

People grumble and complain because of fear and disbelief.

When faith is present fear and grumbling is not.

In my life I see symptoms of grumbling when answers to some prayers are not immediate.

I should keep faith, knowing that God answers all prayers.