JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AnswerQ.3:Israel is a holy nation for our God is Holy and Israel becomes His special possession, therefore, it is fit for Israel to be called a " holy nation. "

I think the word "to be holy" here, means the nation belongs to God,the people must obey to the decrees,the statutes and the commandments of God ( in that era under the leadership of Moses and Aaron ),according to the Sinai Covenant.

At this present time,less people care for personal holiness for the daily modern life offers us more easy things, more comfortable and convenience earthly matters which lead people that they can survive on their owns and we fall as

preys to modern temptation while we care or think of God less; we may think of God only in few serious matters or when we encounter something big as in very bad health, accident or dying moment, etc..

In what sense is Israel a "holy" nation?

The nation Israel as a whole holy in the fact that that were to be set apart from all other nations, nations that adhered to and or worshipped multiple gods. The nation of Israel was set apart to worship and adhere to the true and living God.

Some within the nation were to be sanctified and set apart within the nation. Exodus 29:21 And thou shalt take of the blood that is upon the altar, and of the anointing oil, and sprinkle it upon Aaron, and upon his garments, and upon his sons, and upon the garments of his sons with him: and he shall be hallowed, and his garments, and his sons, and his sons' garments with him.

What does it mean to be holy?

I could super spiritualize this concept, yet I shall make my response specific to me as I understand it from the Scriptures and in intimate relationship to / with the true and living God.

GOD TOLD THE PEOPLE OF ISREAL THEY ARE HIS SPECIAL PEOPLE. BEING SET A PART.

LIVING OUR LIVES THE BEST WE CAN.AVOIDING TEMPTATIONS.BEING HOLY AS I AM HOLY SHOULD NEVER LEAVE OUR MINDS

I THINK PEOPLE GO ABOUT THEIR WAY NEVER GIVING OUR SAVIOR A THOUGHT. PEOPLE RAISED IN CHURCH DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT

BEING HOLY. IF IT INTERFERES WITH THEIR LIFE STYLE BEING HOLY WILL BE LAST. WE HAVE BECOME A NATION OF DOING THINGS THAT IS PLEASING TO THE FLESH(NEW CARS NEW HOMES VACATIONS ETC.) THESE ARE ALLRIGHT JUST PUT THEM IN PROPER PROSPECTIVE

PUT GOD FIRST IN ALL THINGS AND THE OTHERS WILL COME.

Israel is a "holy" nation in the sense that they are the chosen people of God. They have been set apart to worship God alone.

Holy means to be consecrated,to be set apart for God's service.

I believe personal holiness has been de-emphasized in our time because,most people are unwilling to give up the sin in their life.

Q3. (Exodus 19:6; 1 Peter 2:9) In what sense is Israel a holy nation? What does it mean to be holy? Why do you think that personal holiness is de-emphasized in our time?

1) Israel is a "holy" nation because they have been set apart from common or ordinary to be sacred, devoted to, belonging exclusively to, the Holy God.

2) To be holy means to be free from contamination of idol worship and the practice of sin.

3) I think personal holiness is de-emphasized in our time because people believe that they are the ones that have accomplished success and forgotten that it is God. We put God on the back burner and put our own selfish desires first. There is not enough teaching in the homes about God and how he is our provider, how he can be our comforter, lawyer, doctor etc.

Israel was not called holy because of any quality or characteristic inherent to the nation of people. Israel was called holy because Yahweh chose to make her sacred unto Himself and to call her out of the common/profane.

Holiness is the essential quality of moral purity from the inside out. We would further define it ideally as absence of sin. Practically, it is the desire and attempt to identify / reject rebellion and idolatry against the LORD. In our time, the common/profane is so extreme and pervasive that holiness is often too much of a controversial contrast for comfort. It’s seen as the norm as we live for self. Even God's people aren’t willing to sacrifice what’s required to obey His command to “be holy, as I am holy”. Most believers don’t understand our holy identity in Christ. And I’m just as guilty as anyone else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Q3. (Exodus 19:6; 1 Peter 2:9) In what sense is Israel a �holy� nation? What does it mean to be holy? Why do you think that personal holiness is de-emphasized in our time?

Israel was chosen by God as the nation through which His laws and His Messiah would come. They are a nation loved by God (not always their behavior or ours either) and the apple of His eye.

What does it mean to be holy? Well we always struggle with a sin nature so I guess that would mean we don't practice sin or sinful pleasures. And we spend time with God so we become more holy like as we mature in Christ. We no longer want to conform and sin.. We are set apart for HIm

Personal holiness rains on the nonbeliever's parade. They don't want to give up their shameful practices so they parade their shame for all to see.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

• 5 months later...

<p class="questionblock" style="margin: 1em 0cm"><span style="font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif"><span style="font-size: 14px"><font color="#000000">3a)Israel was a people from Abraham’s seed,set apart from the other people’s,chosen by God with covenant that he would protect them &lead them to the promised land,longterm plan to be under headship of Christ.They were asked to obey &worship Yahweh the true God and no other gods,and keep commands,to be pure and not do actions forbidden by Yahweh.He promised if they obeyed commands,they would be Yahweh’s treasured possession and a holy nation.</font></span></span></p>

<p class="questionblock" style="margin: 1em 0cm"><span style="font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif"><span style="font-size: 14px"><font color="#000000">b)To be devoted to God,prepare my body by forgiving others,be cleansed dailyfrom sin as submit to the Lord’s discipline and leading,,seeking to offer lives as living sacrifices(Romans12) that glorify Christ,spending time listening to God in prayer,responding to the Spirit’s prompting in all we say and do.Being distinctive as God’s representatives in our actions and mediators with unbelievers on earth.</font></span></span></p>

<p class="questionblock" style="margin: 1em 0cm"><span style="font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif"><span style="font-size: 14px"><font color="#000000">C)Satin has greater impact today,as sinner’s more bold,and people’s busy lives,gives rise to satan tempts of”you haven’t got time for prayer,biblestudy,personal holiness”,also living in God’s ways is’nt seen as cool in today’s world.The temptations of sin,greed,pride in self,possesions,money, that are trumpeted in the media more than God’s truth,can also convey message to people they are “not good enough” to be called holy people. </font></span></span><font size="2"><font color="#000000"><span style="display: none"> </span><o:p></o:p></font></font></p>

• 1 month later...

In what sense is Israel a holy nation? NOT ONLY HAVE THEY BEEN SET APART, THE HAVE ACCEPTED THE COVENENANT OF GOD MEANING HE WILL BE THEIR ONLY GOD AND THE WILL SERVE no other "gods."

What does it mean to be holy? STRIVING TO LIVE UP TO THE COVENANT.

Why do you think that personal holiness is de-emphasized in our time? TRYING TO LIVE HOLY ACCORDING TO MAN-MADE RULES AND JUDGMENTS. FEAR OF FAILURE AND JUDGMENT. REPULSED BY WHAT OTHERS ACTIONS HAS DONE THAT HAS TAINTED THE PERCEPTION OF "HOLINESS."

• 1 year later...

Israel is a holy nation in the sense that it was separated from the nations around it by God to be a nation of holy priests and a light to the gentile world leading them to Yahweh.

Being holy is not to be contaminated by the world by worshipping other gods and doing those things forbidden by God.  It is to be transformed into a Christ-like human-being and a denial of the satanic world order in one's life.

Holiness is de-emphasized today because many have compromised with an affluent, materially oriented society which is America today. Self-indulgent Christians caught up in the heresy of the prosperity gospel dismiss the need for holiness as taught in the Bible.  Wealth and health are all that is important.  Suffering and sacrifice is to be avoided at all costs.

Holiness involves some degrees of separation from the behavior of post-modern America and its secular and materialistic vision of the good life.  Which doesn't include God.

• 9 months later...

Q3. (Exodus 19:6; 1 Peter 2:9) In what sense is Israel a holy nation?

Israel is a covenanted nation with God which sets them apart from all others. This constitutes a holy nation.

What does it mean to be holy?

To be holy means to be set apart from all others by God for Himself and stay devoted to all that He is.  

Why do you think that personal holiness is de-emphasized in our time? 

Our times are changing. No longer is it emphasized in churches and in the christian homes the children are raised seeing many different standards of compromised living by their parents. Praise God that this is not true in all churches and homes but the church as a whole has changed and there is a great falling away by the people who were called to be set apart for a holy God.