JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Aaron's Irresponsible Leadership

Answer to Q. 2:Aaron's sin should be on idolatry, for he made and worshipped the gold calf with the Israelites.

He didn't take responsibility for he is not the true shepherd for he didn't have the real intention to be a leader.

I think he was afraid of being punished and lost heart to be assistant to Moses and might think of being much easier follower as the others.

I suppose it is fair enough that a leader should bear the outcomess or results of his jobs, no matter he likes or dislikes. A good leader should be brave enough to stand against all the blames, even though some mistakes did not directly come from his part.

From mistakes he encountered, he should study the causes, try to figure out which way or means to overcome such the mistakes, in the same time of being humble, accepting his weakness, asking for pardon and the chance(s)(if any,)to

stand or work again.

1. I BELIEVE AARON THOUGHT IF HE GAVE THE PEOPLE SOMETHING TO SEE TO WORSHIP THEY WOULD BE CONTENT.

I DO NOT BELIEVE HE THOUGHT IT WAS WRONG AND THE PEOPLE WANTED SOMETHING TO SEE THAT THEY WORSHIPED.

2. AARON DID NOT THINK WHAT HE HAD DONE WAS WRONG.THE PEOPLE WANTED TO WORSHIP WHAT THEY COULD SEE WHEATER.IT WAS WRONG DIDNT'ENTER THEIR MIND. I THINK THESE PEOPLE INCLUDING AARON THOUGHT THEY HAD BEEN LEFT IN THIS WILDERNESS TO DIE AS LONG AS MOSES HAD BEEN GONE. I CALL IT WEAK FAITH.

3.LEADERS HAVE THE RESPONSIBILTY TO LEAD.IF THEY ARE LEADING THE WRONG WAY AND DONT' CORRECT IT ALL WILL BE CORRUPTED.

IT IS LIKE LEAVING ONE ROTTEN APPLE IN THE BARREL IT WILL AFFECT ALL THE GOOD ONES. WATCH OUT FOR THIS. CALL ATTENTION TO IT AND KNOW THE WORD OF GOD.

TO KNOW THE WORD AND TEACH IT FROM THE BIBLE LEAVING OUT ALL PERSONAL OPINION. ADMIT THEIR MISTAKES AND WORK WITH ALL INVOLVED TO CORRECT PROBLEMS.

The nature of Aaron's sin with the golden calf was,not only did he take part in it,he also let the people get out of control.

I think Aaron didn't take responsibility for his actions because it was easier for him to blame the people rather than admit his part in the wrongdoing. It was easier for him to pass the buck so to speak.

We are not really told why Aaron got off easy. Perhaps it's because God decided to be merciful,knowing that Aaron and his sons would serve as His priests in the Tabernacle.

Leaders need to be accountable for their actions because they have a responsibility and they need to set an example for those who are under their leadership.

In order to learn from their mistakes,leaders need to be willing have others correct them and to turn away from any wrongdoing.

• 2 weeks later...

Aaron sinned in yielding to the demands of the people for an idol and then actually participating in producing it. So he was idolatrous in the face of Yahweh, even after his own personal encounter and fellowship with God as part of the group with Moses at the ratification of the covenant (Exodus 24:9-11). Yahweh had said “You shall have no other gods before me.” (Exodus 20:3) But somehow, Aaron became deceived like Eve in the Garden of Eden or chose to ignore explicit instructions from God like Adam. Aaron compromised truth.

As he gave in to the pressure, Aaron also abandoned his call/responsibility to spiritually lead the people. So he not only personally made sinful decisions, he led others to do so.

It’s human nature to recoil from accepting responsibility for wrong actions, especially when it’s something big and embarrassing. When confronted by Moses, he must have been humiliated and terrified as he realized the seriousness of the offense. I guess it was out of shame, disgrace, fear perhaps that he didn’t man up.

I don’t really understand, either, how he got a complete pass on this. While all of the idol worship was going on down below the mountain, God was telling Moses of His plans for Aaron and his sons to be consecrated as priests to serve Him among the people. Only God in His ultimate wisdom knows what was in Aaron’s heart. Perhaps somehow it was not willful sin…I don’t know!

Leaders are personally responsible for their actions just because every person is accountable for their behavior and deeds. But leaders are also responsible for the influence they exert on/over other people. A leader with lack of certainty about truth or with lack of integrity to reject compromise of truth will lead his/her people to compromise, decay, and ruin. Integrity and honesty are certainly required. Learning from mistakes requires knowledge of truth, humility before God, and repentance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Q2. (Exodus 32:21-24) What was the nature of Aaron’s sin with the golden calf? Why do you think he won’t take responsibility for his actions? Why do you think he gets off so easily? Why must leaders be accountable for their actions? What is necessary for leaders to be able to learn from their mistakes?

It was an idol! He saw the miracles from God, he knew it was wrong, he caved. It is very hard because of our prideful hearts to admit our faults, mistakes, sins and take accountability for them. I am not sure he got off so easily. He had to live with himself and sometimes that is the worst punishment is looking at ourselves.

There must be accountability if there is to be accord with God and if God is to work through His people. Also it is a sign of maturity and we shouldn't want to be ruled by children.

I seem to have learned most from my mistakes and when I look at the ruins I do not want to repeat.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

• 5 months later...

2a)As moses assistant, he should have led people to keep trusting in Yahweh,rather than direct people to worship an idol, saying “these gods brought you out of Egypt.He was overwhelmed and his weakness in decisive leadership came through,more suited to assisting than leading.

B)Took no responsibility,maybe because he managed to keep a sense of order,even though by wrong means.He had reminding them in a misguided way of how Yahweh had delievered them out of Egypt.He was only appointed to be moses spokesperson.

C)God is opposed to sin and is aware of Aaron’s human weakness, He had another plan for Aaron.Aaron joined in with other Levites in killing 3000the idolaters as Moses commanded from Yahweh,v29The levites action spared Israel greater sacrifice later.

D)People are dependant in leaders giving good Godly direction,because their influence is great,people follow them whether it is scriptural or not. Moses knew he needed to take action.. He called for people to show whom they will worship & pleaded with God to be merciful and not destroy them all substituting himself as a sacrifice,he asks God to keep his promise to protect them,even though they had sinned, because i/they are God’s own people ii/to people unbelievers it would make them think that God brought them out of Egypt just to destroy them. forIii/and because he promised to protect them as part of his covenant.Levites responded to call and through this response (not the killing)were set apart

E)It is necessary for leaders, to examine themselves, stand firm and not be swayed away from God’s path, by mischevious actions,learn from their mistakes,confess where need to(wrong thoughts,actions),intercede for God’s people, receive God’s forgiveness,make any changes in self required and press on for ministry ahead.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Exodus 32:21-24) What was the nature of Aaron's sin with the golden calf? AN ACT AGAINST GOD. ALLOWING A TANGIBLE IDLE TO TAKE CREDIT FOR THE WORK OF AN INVISIABLE GOD.

Why won't he take responsibility for his actions, do you think? HE IS CONFUSED, EMBARASSED, AND SCARED.

Why do you think he gets off so easily? I JUST DONT' KNOW. GOD HAS KILLED OTHERS FOR LESS.

Why must leaders be accountable for their actions? BECAUSE LEADERS ARE CHOSEN TO LEAD. WHERE THEY GO, THE PEOPLE WILL FOLLOW.

What is necessary for leaders to be able to learn from their mistakes? REPRIMANDS.

• 1 year later...

He lead the people of Israel in idolatry and refused to take responsibility for his actions.  I think he felt ashamed, embarrassed, and afraid to take responsibility for his actions.  Most people don't like taking the heat for making a bad decision or committing an error/sin even if they know they are at fault. 

God showed Aaron great mercy knowing that Aaron needed work and development toward his future role as God's priest to the people. 

If leaders will not take responsibility for their actions then they are free to lead in whatever fashion.  That is unacceptable.  It is important for leaders to acknowledge and learn from their mistakes in order to grow and develop into strong and solid leaders.  To be the best they can be.  A leader cannot grow if he or she is in denial.

• 9 months later...

Q2. (Exodus 32:21-24) What was the nature of Aaron’s sin with the golden calf?

Aaron was a weak leader and did more following of Moses than he did leading the people. He was content just taking direction from Moses where the people were concerned and with Moses gone Aaron showed his true weakness. He compromised the covenant in trying to keep the people satisified and together. 

Why do you think he won’t take responsibility for his actions?

Weak leaders are as cowardly as their weakness and run from accountability.

Why does he get off so easily?

I believe God had a greater plan and it was already said what His plan for Aaron and his sons would be but to get there it took the great intercession and heart of Moses to approach God for him.

Why must leaders be accountable for their actions? 

You must be accountable when in a God given position of trust and authority because you are leading the people by your example of what God expects and wants from you and them. To betray that position and give way to compromise or sin misleads the people who are following you. 

What is necessary for leaders to be able to learn from their mistakes?

To learn from your mistakes you must have a humble and willing heart with a teachable spirit. Always be ready to stand before God and be accountable for all your actions.

• 2 years later...

Q2;

A. Aaron caused division among the people which get out of order and control and led them to idolatry.

B. Aaron don't take action for his responsibility he failed to realize his roles as a leader as assistant to Moses.

C. He get off so easily because he was confusing the worship of Egyptian god for Yahweh.

D. Leaders must be accountable for their actions in order to lead a live void of corruption, and worthy of emulation.

E. Rebuke is necessary for church leaders to learn from their mistake

• 5 years later...

Q2. (Exodus 32:21-24)

What was the nature of Aaron's sin with the golden calf?

Why won't he take responsibility for his actions, do you think?

Why do you think he gets off so easily?

Why must leaders be accountable for their actions?

What is necessary for leaders to be able to learn from their mistakes?

It was idolatry.  In v5 we find that after having crafted the idol, Aaron proclaimed a feast unto the Lord for the following day.  So it was kind of compromising and trying to soften the blow, as it were.  Not a complete turning away, only letting the people be happy in seeing something tangible to claim to have led them.  Just keep the peace.  

I guess he feels he was doing what the people demanded and it was kind of unfair that Moses disappeared for so long and had him see to this people who were a stiff necked people, a murmuring bunch.  Given to be quarrelsome and complaining.  Indirectly he was blaming God (for having called Moses away for so long),  Moses (for having left the responsibility to him for so long) and thirdly, the people because they would have made life absolutely impossible if he had not given in to their request.   

In Isaiah 55 we are reminded that God's ways are not our ways.  In the book of Jonah there is proof that God knows things that man does not.  Who am I to even guess apart from saying God is full of grace and mercy and He knew Aaron's heart and God's ways are best.  

Everyone is accountable for their actions, not only leaders.  Upon repentance God does forgive but there are still consequences for ones actions for years to come.  

To acknowledge that it was wrong.  Take responsibility for ones actions.  To be teachable as well as accountable for ones actions.

• 1 year later...

I'm struck by the fact that Aaron wasn't punished for leading the Israelites into idol worship ... in fact, he is made a priest in the tabernacle. Yet we know that God was angry enough for Moses to feel the need to plead to God to spare the people, which presumably includes Aaron. So, what was the nature of his sin, and why was it turned into a blessing -- becoming priests? I would think that idolatry and syncretism would be HUGE sins in the eyes of God, which were then compounded by the libertine and uncontrolled behavior of the people. That's the sin of Aaron. It's a doozy. 

On top of this, Aaron effectively downplayed the nature of his sin, which was to lead people into idolatry, syncretism and social libertinism. I don't know why he didn't fall to his knees in shame, but perhaps Aaron didn't quite understand the gravity of what he had done, or, conversely, was afraid and tried to sidestep it.

Again, I don't know why God accepted Moses' intercessory prayer for the people/Aaron. Moses DID seem to get off easily. God's anger abated.

The rest of Pastor Ralph's questions have to do with the application of the principles learned in this story. I think leaders, as well as laity, must be responsible for their actions -- I do not think leaders are "more responsible" than the people. We all are responsible for whatever God has commanded us to do or has put in front of us. If we do not do it, or if we blatantly disobey, God may punish us. That punishment arrests and causes us to focus on the sin as well as our own motives and weaknesses that caused us to do it. Thus, we can, if we not only understand the sin but feel the gravity of it's horror to God, repent and change, that is learn from our mistakes.