JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Faithful Witnesses

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. Revelation is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution. Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose? How is Jesus as the "faithful witness" (1:5) supposed to encourage us? Why are we afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted?

A testimony or witness is the word of one who is an eye witness to a thing. It is a word that is sworn to be true. In a court of law, an eye witness sheds light on the truth of an event. Jesus is the faithful witness, as He came down from heaven to live a life as a man, He bears witness to our frailty and desperate need for guidance in a perverse world. We can be assured that we have a Witness that sees how easily led we can be and encourages us to draw near to Him for guidance and strength to overcome evil. It is hard to make a difference to a hardened heart, something we see often in our day. We may be tempted to 'water down' the gospel to (in our ignorance) help guide a soul (which can only be accomplished through the Holy Spirit living in them). Sometimes our own arrogance may shut our mouths so we can gain a (false) acceptance or credibility. We are weak and forget to depend on the Lord for strength.

Strength and encouragement to continue on in times of persecution can come from many ways, however, when it comes from one who has actually come through persecutions without any negative affects this has a greater ability to encourage others to face up to persecutions and hold on while going through. . .

Jesus is the One who has "been tempted in all points yet without giving in (sin)and is able to aid and support us when we are tempted" - He is able and will help us to endure when we face persecutions.

There are so many comforts that we are accustomed to today and we find ourselves reluctant to do anything that would disturb those comforts.

B)

• 1 month later...

Although we may not recieve much in the way of physical persecution we certainly do in the Spiritual Relm, Satan the accuser points that finger at us continually to put us off from witnessing. Thanks to Gods Word, Faith and Prayer we can overcome such things. Wayne

Q1. Revelation is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution. Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose? How is Jesus as the "faithful witness" (1:5) supposed to encourage us? Why are we afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted?

Answer: Encouragement is very important to a person or group of person,who are facing adversity and difficulties,as what the early Christian are experiencing.It is that meaasge that they want to strengthen their conviction and hold on to the end to the Faith that they started,FAITH in JESUS CHRIST.They must be encouraged and strengthened ,as a Church to collectively unite them in their belief and in unity fight the good fight of Faith.

Testimony and witness,is the most potent way to counter negativism,and doubts.The early believers must be entertaining the cloud of doubts,on the authencity of the Lordship of Jesus Christ,being the true Messiah,BECAUSE OF THE PERSECUTION in their present times.Messiah is someone who will redeem them,save them,..yet they still suffer oppression and hardship.

They need someone to testify and bare witness to them,that they are indeed Saved,and Jesus indeed is the Messiah,to quenched the darkness that is beginning to invade their mind.

Jesus as the Faithfull witness,is a very strong statement to the early Christian.Jesus whom,they actually seen crucified,and was dead,resurrected is the perfect example of faith..Faithful even to the obedience to the cross,even unto death.

We haven

• 3 weeks later...

Revelation Chpt 1 -- The introduction reestablishes the power and unity of the Trinity. "Grace and peace to you from him who is, and was and who is to come, and from the seven spirits before the throne, and from Jesus Christ, who is the faitful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth." Even though the Trinity is one, the characteristics are set apart for us to see their unique role within the whole. Jesus, part of the God head, came to earth, walked as man, endured, died, was resurrected and now in Revelation will be fulfilling His destiny. Jesus as the faithful witness came to earth in order to testify to the Truth that man had weakened through his need to control. Jesus is the Truth. We can look at His life and His words for encouragement and support. Without this how could one possibly live in a world culture so counter to the Truth found in His Holy Word. And yet, knowing all this...the power of Jesus...it is still hard to stand firm on the foundation of Truth when everyone around distorts it through political correctness and social acceptance.

Our testimony and witness comes from within- Jesus lives insides of us and it is only through Him that we are able to stand firmly on His witness. It only confirms and attests to the personal knowledge or belief that is placed in us through His Spirit. Since His witness is strong and solidified by our faith in Him, we can encourage and strengthen ourselves in this knowledge that has taken root in us even when persecutions loom large.

Jesus is the Son of God who came to bear witness of the Father and the Holy Spirit. He lived an exemplary life of humility, power and purposefulness (His mission was to save us and bring us back to a renewed relationship with God). The spirit of life in God raised Him up from the dead (death couldn

The theme of testamony and wittness is important because it tells us about a person before he became a Christian. It tells us how he was bought to the Lord, whether by a friend, relative or ect.

Jesus as the "faithful wittness" is encouraging because he was the ultimate sacrifice. He knew he was going to die for us. He knew what he was facing and yet he did it so that You and I could be saved.

I think we are afraid to wittness because we are afraid of what our relatives, friends or others might say about us. In todays society, I hate to say this, but we are persecuted a lot more than people realize. We have to live with people sneering at us and laughing at us. Columbine High School is a prime example of how we are persecuted. But we CANNOT let that stop us from our faith and our Great Commission.

• 1 month later...

The theme of testimony and witness is highly important to the church being persecuted because they need the strength to believe in God and his plans. When people are going through rough times in life, they need to have faith in God and not ridicule him for the burden laid upon them. The persecuted church needs guidance because they are facing hard tribulations. Jesus is our plan to salvation and into the gates of heaven. He is supposed to give us comfort and strength to encourage us in the heinous world today by guiding us to the right path of prosperity. When we believe in Jesus, we have a successful life that will eventually lead us to eternal salvation and happiness. Some people are afraid of being ridiculed by believing in Christ. It's like bullies in school. Everyone is afraid to stand up to the bully because they are terrified of being the next target. Everyone is afraid of being judged, so they never take the risk of standing up for what they believe in.

Q1. Revelation is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution. Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose?

Testimony and witness are important to encourage a church facing persecution because people tend to fold completely or at least fade in their faith when persecuted. Testimony and witness to Jesus Christ and the Word, the spiritual (God's truth) rather than physical reality (the world's persecution), spiritually infuses physical reality by placing emphasis on the divine within the mundane. pointing to the relationship between the temporal and eternal. Suffering in the temporal as a result of adhering to the eternal, guarantees eternity. Rev 22:12 And behold, I come quickly, I come quickly, and my reward is with me, to give to every man according as his work shall be."

How is Jesus as the "faithful witness" (1:5) supposed to encourage us? Jesus also suffered persecution for eternal truth of God, and He suffered for us, as He loves us, and sacrificed Himself that we may be washed clean of sin and united with God, in the temporal and in eternity. See Romans 8:35-39 We are exhorted in numerous places in scripture to be like Him (example 1 Peter 4:1-2) as tribulation for our faith makes stronger our faith and our holiness, our likeness to Him. I am also reminded here of what my Sunday school teacher told us this morning, that "God's goal is not your happiness but your holiness."

Why are we afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted?

I think we are afraid to be clear witnesses as we fear persecution, which is very real in other places. Persecution, even unto death/martyrdom, hurts. We are of the flesh and it is weak indeed. We do not want to hurt, even a little, never mind agonize. I am reminded of Isaac Bashevis Singer's character Abram Moskat, who observed at one point that "Man is a stinker. You beat him and he yells. You beat the other guy and he develops a theory." I think we are complacent and insular and want to avoid confrontation, or accusations of cultishness by the World/Babylon. What would people say if they knew I was a Jesus Freak? Of course, the prince of lies maximizes our fear of pain and of ridicule. We do need to tell him to get behind us.

However, I think most of us Christians would lay down our lives for the Word and for other sheep, as Christ laid His life down in His undeserved love of us. We just haven't been tried by fire, yet. I am encouraged by the testimonies of other Christians in my church, including recent ones in a visit by the Gideons, who among other acts of evangelism, stand on street corners and offer the Word to strangers. I am also encouraged by the witness of Charley Muller, a local pastor who is a faithful witness to Christ and proves it through many church programs, including one where congregation members feed hungry inner city children (and help with homework!) at feeding centers, and another in which on Saturdays congregation members distribute bread and the Word to the physically and spiritually hungry....yes and there is a weekly prison ministry through that church as well.

Thank you Lord for your Son. Thank you for the persecuted, who walk before us as ensamples to your Holy Truth, and the key to your Kingdom. Thank your for Pastor Ralph who is not afraid to witness to us, and for other forum members, and for your Word.

Well, no one can have a testimony without first having victory over a test, and one cannot be a witness unless they have witnessed something. Jesus did both of these things. He came to earth as a man, being tempting in every way, being persecuted in every way yet there was no sin found in Him. He did nothing that He didn't first see His Father in heaven do. He is the faithful witness that we look to for our encouragement, knowing that He now sits at the Fathers right hand.

Even though most of us have not been persecuted physically or even mentally as Jesus was, we still have a measure of this we walk through everyday in facing the world, however, I believe that in the days to come persecution for the believer will intensify and without holding on tightly to the "faithful witness" Jesus Christ, we will not be able to with stand it.

The testimony and witness that we have is also very important to others. Just knowing that someone else has walked through a test and now is a witness to the grace and mercy of God is a encouragement to others.

I'm not sure, I have all of the answers. But I'll just share my thoughts.

A. We are called to give testimony and witness to the world that Christ died for. He loved us first and drew us to Himself through mercy and grace. God's expectations of us are to reflect His light. Since He is Love, our love for others is a testimony unto them. And the grace we have been shown encourages us to forgive and love those who hurt us.

B. He encourages us by His humble journey on earth. He gave up His position to model the way and show us how to persevere through trials. If we are to share in Christ's Glory, we must first share in His sufferings. When we study the way Jesus responds to His persecutors then we understand His expectations of us.

C. It seems to me that it would stem from a lack of faith. If we trust God, then why would we worry about losing our job for witnessing to others. If we trust Him, then it's OK if we lose our job because He will provide for us. If we take a pay cut because we lose our job due to our witness then we didn't need that much money to begin with. Or maybe we didn't invest the money He provided for us where He wanted us to. We should always be willing to let Him have His way in our lives to teach us and help us be like Him. I think too many times we want control of our lives not understanding that we'll make a mess of it. Trusting God is the only way to live.

• 3 weeks later...

To bring credibility to the author.

• 3 weeks later...

Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to the encouragement and strengthening of the church in times of persecution?

Because Testimony and witness mean confirming something based on personal knowledge or belief in our hope in Christ Jesus and what He is accomplishing in this world. Without personal testimony, we will fall into despair when times are hard and not easy to see through to the end result that God has planned. I just experienced this yesterday in a time of discouragement under trial. I had hoped for a time of encouragement from fellow believers and wanted to share what the Holy Spirit was guiding me through. I was also at the same time in need of fellowship to keep going on in it. I gave testimony, but most were too busy to listen and I came away not so filled. I was discouraged and felt alone, but I know I'm never alone with God by my side and was content with my testimony and God's encouragement, yet it was disappointing to not have the encouragement from others by their adding to and sharing in my testimony. All was well as I later shared my feelings in it and as iron sharpens iron much was learned all around....but our testimony and witness even to each other is a great help in encouraging each other on in our hours of trials and tribulations in this world. John gave testimony to those suffering doubt and fear to strengthen them in faith and as to their future. We should do the same for each other.

At the same time, Jesus as my "faithful" witness was even more important to me because He is my example to follow in any form of trial. I knew He was with me and not only in the worldly trials I was experiencing but in our growth as Christians. He could be trusted as an example as to how to handle each of the situations. I knew He was there guiding me in truth and growth and I could remain in some semblance of peace and wait on Him for guidance and instruction.

Why are we afraid in a culture where we don't really have any persecution? I think fear. We do get mild rejections and jeers from our testimony and way of life. We DO receive trials even from loved ones when we stand on truth. We are a culture so ensconced in "fitting in" even in the church, that we aren't strong enough in our own faith to know God is faithful and can be trusted to see us through even our worst rejections and trials. We grow when we are tested in our faith....and our love for Him is really pretty shallow compared to those who have had extreme tests of their faith and what they really are firm in believing and living.....even enough to die for.

• 1 month later...

Considering the company I am in; I am the least among the brothers and sisters represented here in this forum. The faithful witness of Jesus Christ is very important in knowing that the book of Revelation is genuine and authentic. Jesus is the one that appeared to John, and Jesus told his disciples that God the Father and Him were one. Also when Jesus appeared to Thomas and after Thomas saw the nail prints in his hands and his and the scar from his pierced side, he proclaimed my Lord and my God. Jesus being identified as the faithful witness authenticates the book of Revelation.

In Reference to 1:5 The book of Revelation is supposed to encourage us then if that is the case why are we afraid to be faithful witnesses when we do not live in a land of persecution. There are many factors that may be involved in those who do not want to be a faithful witness even in a land that does not persecute Christians. Some people just feel inadequate in witnessing to others. Some of been taught that this is why we pay our pastors. Some people just do not see the urgency in doing this. I live in the Philippines and we do have religious freedom in our country but many people are dying at the hands of terrorists and people filled with greed and hatred toward one another. So there has been no greater urgency of witnessing for Christ than now. The time of His appearing is fast approaching it is time for the Church to stand together and proclaim the good news that Jesus Christ is coming again and we need to be getting ready for His appearing.

Considering the company I am in; I am the least among the brothers and sisters represented here in this forum. The faithful witness of Jesus Christ is very important in knowing that the book of Revelation is genuine and authentic. Jesus is the one that appeared to John, and Jesus told his disciples that God the Father and Him were one. Also when Jesus appeared to Thomas and after Thomas saw the nail prints in his hands and his and the scar from his pierced side, he proclaimed my Lord and my God. Jesus being identified as the faithful witness authenticates the book of Revelation.

In Reference to 1:5 The book of Revelation is supposed to encourage us then if that is the case why are we afraid to be faithful witnesses when we do not live in a land of persecution. There are many factors that may be involved in those who do not want to be a faithful witness even in a land that does not persecute Christians. Some people just feel inadequate in witnessing to others. Some of been taught that this is why we pay our pastors. Some people just do not see the urgency in doing this. I live in the Philippines and we do have religious freedom in our country but many people are dying at the hands of terrorists and people filled with greed and hatred toward one another. So there has been no greater urgency of witnessing for Christ than now. The time of His appearing is fast approaching it is time for the Church to stand together and proclaim the good news that Jesus Christ is coming again and we need to be getting ready for His appearing.

Q1. Revelation is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution. Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose?

Testimony and witness are important to encourage a church facing persecution because people tend to fold completely or at least fade in their faith when persecuted. Testimony and witness to Jesus Christ and the Word, the spiritual (God's truth) rather than physical reality (the world's persecution), spiritually infuses physical reality by placing emphasis on the divine within the mundane. pointing to the relationship between the temporal and eternal. Suffering in the temporal as a result of adhering to the eternal, guarantees eternity. Rev 22:12 And behold, I come quickly, I come quickly, and my reward is with me, to give to every man according as his work shall be."

How is Jesus as the "faithful witness" (1:5) supposed to encourage us? Jesus also suffered persecution for eternal truth of God, and He suffered for us, as He loves us, and sacrificed Himself that we may be washed clean of sin and united with God, in the temporal and in eternity. See Romans 8:35-39 We are exhorted in numerous places in scripture to be like Him (example 1 Peter 4:1-2) as tribulation for our faith makes stronger our faith and our holiness, our likeness to Him. I am also reminded here of what my Sunday school teacher told us this morning, that "God's goal is not your happiness but your holiness."

Why are we afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted?

I think we are afraid to be clear witnesses as we fear persecution, which is very real in other places. Persecution, even unto death/martyrdom, hurts. We are of the flesh and it is weak indeed. We do not want to hurt, even a little, never mind agonize. I am reminded of Isaac Bashevis Singer's character Abram Moskat, who observed at one point that "Man is a stinker. You beat him and he yells. You beat the other guy and he develops a theory." I think we are complacent and insular and want to avoid confrontation, or accusations of cultishness by the World/Babylon. What would people say if they knew I was a Jesus Freak? Of course, the prince of lies maximizes our fear of pain and of ridicule. We do need to tell him to get behind us.

However, I think most of us Christians would lay down our lives for the Word and for other sheep, as Christ laid His life down in His undeserved love of us. We just haven't been tried by fire, yet. I am encouraged by the testimonies of other Christians in my church, including recent ones in a visit by the Gideons, who among other acts of evangelism, stand on street corners and offer the Word to strangers. I am also encouraged by the witness of Charley Muller, a local pastor who is a faithful witness to Christ and proves it through many church programs, including one where congregation members feed hungry inner city children (and help with homework!) at feeding centers, and another in which on Saturdays congregation members distribute bread and the Word to the physically and spiritually hungry....yes and there is a weekly prison ministry through that church as well.

Thank you Lord for your Son. Thank you for the persecuted, who walk before us as ensamples to your Holy Truth, and the key to your Kingdom. Thank your for Pastor Ralph who is not afraid to witness to us, and for other forum members, and for your Word.

I am not a very smart man really. There are those who are quite more advanced in theology than I am. I do agree with you that most Christians would lay there life for a friend and for the gospel of Jesus Christ. I was involved in many of those things when I was living in the states. I am in a different culture and I am ministering mostly to students that go to our congregation. Things are done differently here but when I am asked to go somewhere I do not turn it down. There a language barrier here although most Filipinos can understand basic English and I work with many people who are English speaking. We definitely need to be living for Christ now more than at any other time in our life. Yes Jesus I thank you for this study and for the brothers and sisters that are in this forum. Lord help us to live for you in everything that we do and say I ask this in Jesus name amen

• 1 month later...

This section of Revelation resembles a courtroom proceeding, where only absolutely true testimony is helpful, and useful. A judge in a court proceeding needs testimony that is truthful to be helpful, and useful. Jesus' testimony is absolutely true, and can relied on completely. We can be absolutely certain that what Jesus tells us is the absolute truth.

• 1 month later...

The theme testimony and witness is important because when you witness to a truth about something or if you see a miracle that you know that noone but God did it you have to let other know in order for them to know you have to tell the tesimony.

He is the faithful witness because he is the one that is doing all the miracle and he can be a very good witness to his father.

I think we are afraid because very one is not christain and I know that it is what God want us to be a witness for him but some people make it so hard some of the things that we have to go through just to tell him that God love them and he died for them. Some people make it very hard for us to let them know this.

• 2 months later...

Q1 THE WHOLE VERSE OF REVELATION 1:5 PERTAINS TO THE INCARNATION OF CHRIST. JESUS CHRIST BY HIS FAITH IN HIS FATHER HE BECAME THE TRUE WITNESS. THIS WAS HIS ORIGINAL PLAN FOR MAN TO BECOME THE TRUE WITNESS. HOWEVER, THROUGHT THE GREAT FALL OF MAN THIS WOULD NEVER HAPPEN. JESUS CHRIST BECAME OUR SUBSITITUTE, LAID HIS LIFE, AND PAID THE PRICE THAT WE COULD NOT ACCOMPLISHISH. FOR US TO BECOME HIS TRUE WITNESS WE MUST FACE TOUGH TIMES AND SOME TIMES THAT MIGHT MEAN. THAT YOU MIGHT HAVE TO LAY YOUR LIFE DOWN FOR HIM.

WE TAKE FOR GRANTED THAT PERSUCUTION CANNOT HAPPEN IN AMERICA. WHY, BECAUSE WE ARE A STRONG RELIGOUS NATION AND IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. HOWEVER, IN ESENCE ARE WE ARE AFRAID TO FACE THE TRUTH. HAVE WE MOVED OURSELFES FROM THE TRUE TRIDITIONAL CHURCH THAT PREACHES THE WORD OF GOD OR TO THE MANY CHURCHES THAT PREACH FALSE RELIGOUS MESSAGES?

IN THE MODERN WORLD PERSECUTION WILL ARISE IN THE UNITED STATES WHY YOU MIGHT ASK. THE REASON IS BECAUSE THE MODERN CHURCH IS LETTING THE THINGS LIKE ABORTION, THE GAY MOVEMENT, THE END OF TRADITONAL MARRIAGE, TAKING GOD OUT OF EVERYTHING, THE MOVEMENT OF ISLAM, AND THE NEXT THING WILL BE THE CHURCH WILL NO LONGER HAVE ITS FREEDOM IT IS ACUSTOM TO ASK YOURSELF THIS QUESTION: HAS THE CHURCH MOVED AWAY FROM THE FOUNDATION THAT JESUS SAID? "THAT I WILL BUILD MY CHURCH UPON THIS ROCK, AND THE GATES OF hell CAN NOT PREVAIL AGAINST IT".

• 2 months later...

I think witness and testimony in the face of persecution encourages and strengthens other believers. It encourages others to do the same, to stand up for God and what they believe. It gives others strength to carry on when it would be much easier to give in and give up. But most of all I think it gives glory to God.

Jesus is the example, He did not give in even though it cost Him his life. We can take courage and strength from His example.

We are weak. We don't want to be criticized or laughed at by our friends or loved ones.

• 1 month later...

1. The theme of testimony and witness in the Book of Revelation is important to the church to encourage and strengthen us because the church needs to be encouraged during these last day more so than ever before. Jesus said in this world there will be tribulation but be of good cheer, He has overcome the world. Persecution and suffering is inevitable as a Christian. Revelation speaks of our coming Savior and the defeat of our enemies. We can be encouraged in Jesus’ return and our victory even in death as martyrs. In Acts 1:8, we are commanded to be witnesses and to allow the power of God in us to exhibit the power and ability to change us into a living testimony of who we are in God. God exhibits His divine power, glory and righteousness through our righteous and holy living. By conducting our lives in ways pleasing to God, we give God the glory and bear witness of our love, devotion and faith in Jesus Christ as Lord.

2. Jesus is the “faithful witness” and encourages us because He had a divine purpose. He fulfilled it with perfect obedience and absolute faith in what God called Him to do. Jesus is our model example of how to live a holy, righteous and powerful live in this world. He gave us His Spirit to help us in our weaknesses. If we are led by His Spirit, we can overcome persecution, suffering and sin. Jesus came to give us Truth and Grace to do it. The truth has made us free and God’s grace is sufficient. God as given us all that pertains to life and godliness. Grace gives us that ability to be a witness and to live righteous lives without any condemnation.

3. We are afraid to be clear witnesses in this culture because of fear, rejection and persecution or since many of us are “Christians under construction” so to speak and sin occasionally, we may feel that we are not good witnesses. We don’t want to expose ourselves to criticism and/or judgment by others when we “miss the mark.”

• 10 months later...

1) Because Jesus Christ has personal knowledge of what will happen and He wants us to know and learn what to do and to live by His example.

2) He was persecuted and died for our sins. By rising from the dead, He showed us what is possible for us. If we believe in Him and what His death meant for humanity, then we can rise from the dead as well.

3) When someone is being persecuted, it strengthens their faith. To live in a culture where there is no persecution, people tend to take things for granted and aren't as faithful as they should be.

• 1 month later...

Testimony and witness are important in encouraging those under intense persecution because the alternative, hiding one's faith, is to forsake one's faith.

Jesus as the faithful witness should encourage us because he has overcome sin and death. This means that any type of persecution in this life, even to the point of death, is not final. We have eternal victory in Christ.

It is often actually easier to compromise when the stakes are not as great. Under intense persecution, there is a sense in which you have nothing more to lose.

• 3 months later...

Christian persecution can be seen today in many third world countries where they are taking chances daily witnessing about Christ. The theme of testimony and witness is important because it give hope, courage and strength to keep pushing onward for Christ who will reward all those who faithfully followed Him and is not ashamed to witness to others about Him.

Jesus as the "faithful witness" (1:5) suppose to encourage us by the life Christ lived on earth. He was crucified and rose from the dead and is alive forever more. Believing in Him gives us that same chance to rise from the dead and meet Christ in the air during the rapture. Jesus faith in doing the will of the Father no matter what happens to the body should encourage us to do the same.

Even though we are not persecuted in our society, we are afraid of being clear witnesses because of what others will say about us. Many Christians don't want to be hated it disliked by others so they are not putting out like they should. Furthermore, if God's Holy Spirit is not living within you, you are not going to be a clear witness for Christ anyways. We need the Holy Spirit in order to be an effective witness for Christ.