JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Faithful Witnesses

It is through testimony, both eye-witness and spiritual accounts that we see and hear the truth and are brought to salvation. Also this continues to encourage the body of Christ as we labor in His command to "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations baptizing in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit..." Matthew 28:19.

Jesus as the Faithful Witness encourages us because through His testimony here in Rev. and throughout the New Testiment, we know that He still lives and has had victory over the trials and persecutions. We still fight battles, but He has won the war! He is proof of our hope.

I can only speak for myself as to why I am sometimes fearful of being clear about my faith. I know that my walk is not perfect and that my example never seems to be what I wish it could be. It is only when I can forget the "me" and let Him be visible in me that my witness and testimony means anything at all. Therefore I find that I am struggling constantly to become less so He can become more in me.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. The theme of testimony and witness are important for the purpose of edification to someone else. Our testimony is our experiences; what happened, why it happened, and the result of what happened. Our witness comes when we testify to something to keep someone else from doing the same thing. It is using our experiences to help someone else.

2. Jesus is the "faithful witness" because it was He that experienced the death and hell that we were to pay, and He was faithful in doing so. And it is Jesus that is to return to deliver us and conquer the enemy. So who better to witness this than He fulfilled prophesy and will fulfill the final prophesy. Jesus holds our destiny in His all powerful hands, thats encouragement enough, and no one can encourage us more than He who will deliver us.

3. Sometimes acceptance keeps us from being clear witnesses. Things that are accepted in society are tolerated in the church. It should'nt be.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I find motivation in knowing that being a witness, giving testimony is being like Christ the True and Faithful witness. I've striven as a Christian to be more like Christ so learning this definition of Him makes me want to become a better witness. The testimony of the martyrs are important to overcoming Satan. Stephen was honored by God with the title of My witness, My faithful one for his testimony as he was murdered. I for one desire to be worthy of such praise. But I know I am not. Why? I have always been easily intimidated. I panic and can't think when someone reacts badly to what I'm saying. I only have courage to speak to people who are already essentially in agreement with me. Would I deny God, NO! But neither have I risked much on his behalf. A marriage, my Catholic family treating me like I'd lost my mind. :unsure: But mostly that was risked for my own joy not the furthering of God's kingdom. Maybe that's the answer right there, is it selfishness that keeps us from witnessing more than fear? I know that I have courage in Christ, He has asked me to do thinks that I never would have dreamed of doing without Him. Is it my responsibility to testify more? I want to find out.

• 2 weeks later...

People are spiritual encourage through withness and testimony. When a testimony is told it builds a person up in certain area of their life. When we think about all that Jesus suffered, one who knew no sin became sin for us, should tell anyone I can overcome any situation through Christ Jesus because he bare so much for me. We're afraid to witness because of fear. Fear we're going to be talked about, or fear we fail some way.

• 2 weeks later...

Testimony & witness are important because they represnt a personal knowledge & a willingness to speak up. Jesus, as the faithful witness, did for us what no one else could or would. He died and rose again taking away our sins as had said he would. I think we don't speak up today for fear of rejection and persecution even though we don't live in a time or place where it is usually a problem.

• 1 month later...

Q1. Testimony and witnessing forms important tools to strengthen one's FAITH and HOPE for the end goal, which is eternal life with our tiune God.

A witness testifying about himself carries more weight than other testimonies and encourages us to perservere as He did as man, to attain the prize.

I do not believe that it is a question of being "affraid", it is more like being reluctant or luke warm to be a witness. The persecution does not lie in the physical but in the spiritual plain. (Our battle is not against flesh and blood, but against the spirits and principalities of the air)

"Prosecution" can be the removing of the Christian morals and priciples from

legislation and social norms, like same sex marriages. These attacks will intensify and will subdue and therefore beat some to submission.

Thankfully, the allpowerful and loving God will not allow it if we heed His warnings in Revelations.

• 2 weeks later...
Q1. Revelation is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution. Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose? How is Jesus as the "faithful witness" (1:5) supposed to encourage us? Why are we afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted?

For one, the theme of testimony & witness is so important because it is a commandment by God tell's to do, and it strengthens our Hope & Faith in Christ. For two, because being a witnesses of God's presense & work in our lives, is a public declaration of our acceptance of The Lord that draws other's near, and we are strengthened by our testimony when up against the adversary, who comes to try and rob us of our faith in God, by remembering where God brought us from, and that we do have the power to overcome evil through The Blood of Jesus, and by doing this we encourage eachother to remain in Christ when God seems far away.

*Jesus/The Faithful witness encourages us through His witness of Abba Father's mind and will for us, in regards to doctrine and worship; of His truth and faithfulness in His promises; and of His love, grace, and mercy, to His chosen; and of Himself, of His true deity, proper sonship, and perfect equality with the Father; of His Messiahship, and of salvation through His obedience, sufferings, and death; and of all truth communal, to which He has bore a faithful testimony several ways, in His ministry, by His miracles, at His death, and by the shedding of His blood to seal it; by His Spirit since, and by the ministers of his word: He is described in His priestly office as The First Begotten Of The Dead, and that He was risen from the dead by His own power, and to immortal life for though some few were raised before Him, yet not by themselves, nor to live for ever, but to die again.

Speaking of myself it is fear of rejection mostly why at time's I do not testify of God. Because although I know that Abba is with me; I get lonely for human companionship & fellowship in Christ, and so don't try to rock somebodies boat, or correct somebody in the Word with the Word. That is until the relationship proves not to be worth the effort. And then I speak up for Christ, not worried about rejection because I no longer care to be around whoever. So I plant a seed and run. Oh, that is so wrong, I am so wrong. I knew something was wrong but it never came to me before like this. I see now why God is or seems withdrawn from me at times. Woe, I know how God feels about people who come to Him and expect to receive, and when they don't get what they want right when they want it, they say harsh things to Him and the turn from Him and run. Leaving Him there alone without our true companionship, and with nothing but our hurtful Words for His sake. That hurts. Oh the conditions I put on Abba who loves me unconditionally. Oh I repent of my 2-facedness and lieing tongue<<although I may not have flat out lied, I did, because I pretended to accept someone until I realized that they were of no use to me. Also at time's I just don't feel the testimony in me for someone's path I cross, and it's like I can speak nothing although I may want to, and I don't know why, but I just keep silent.

*This paragraph, although in a few places I used a different word to say the same thing, is an excerpt from an Exposition of The Entire Bible by John Gill, that I am in agreement and understanding with, and because he said it better than I could I added it here.

• 3 weeks later...

Revelation is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution. Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose? How is Jesus as the "faithful witness" (1:5) supposed to encourage us? Why are we afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted?

Testimony and witness is important because it encourages us to believe for the same delivering experiences as those who have already gone through persecution. Even if it means martyrdom we are encouraged in the knowledge that there is a reward awaiting those so persecuted. Jesus is the supreme example of glory after persecution. Persecution is relative. Where physical forms of persecution are not known, to be laughed at is persecution enough for some. Sadly, it seems that derision is found most in so-called Christian countries.

• 1 month later...

Revelation gives us a vision of "what was, what is, and what is to come" as it relates to the phases a church and believer can and have experienced. Its a testimony and witness that is set up to show us what we shouldn't do, (e.g...idolatry, lukewarmness) and what we should do to overcome and be a faithful witness. It gives us purpose and strength thru providing us with "THE faithful witness", Jesus Christ, as the example we should live and walk by. He is the perfect and faithful for all eternity. Rev 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,....This encourages us that it is possible to live beyond the grave because of a prince who took it upon himself to die for us and cover us with His blood so that we might be brought under the light of the Father.

If we are afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted (if by that you mean USA). I am not certain if there isn't a country where Christians aren't being persecuted, it may be different degrees of persecution and some much worse than others. But even in the culture of the USA, I see persecution or forms of punishment, not being allowed to carry our witness into the public sector, our workplace, our schools, etc. If we do, we are subject to some form of punishment, not death necessarily, but loss of jobs, expelled from schools, etc. But if you mean a clear witness around friends or associates, then there is fear of rejection, being laughed at, ridiculed, or loss of friends.

Although I have read and studied Revelation a couple of times now. I feel strength abounding in me right now as I read these questions and write these words. I see Jesus, as a King of Glory telling us we can overcome, dont sit on the fence, take a step and I'll be there to see you through any persecution. Amen and Glory be to God for His mercy and grace.

Durable ;)

• 3 weeks later...

When we as individuals or the church as a whole face persecution we draw strength from somone who has already been tested and overcome the same situation. Christ is faithful in that he is always there and ready to share by way of His Word and His Spirit the that tribulations, persecutions and even death has been overcome. He is the first begotten of the Father but also of death. He warned us in the Gospels that just as the world hated and persecuted Him it would also persecute us as we live through him.

Even today many Christian are silent because they want to be accepted and liked by friends and family. Peer pressure is prevalent even as adults. No one wants to stand out in a crowd but Christ demands this of us. We are the Light and so must shine before men.

• 2 weeks later...
Q1. Revelation is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution. Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose? How is Jesus as the "faithful witness" (1:5) supposed to encourage us? Why are we afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted

1A - BECAUSE IT IS BY BEING A WITNESS CAN THINGS BE MADE CLEAR. 1B - BECAUSE JESUS KNPWS WHAT WE GO THROGH AND BECAUSE OF THAT WE CAN PUT OUR TRUST IN HIM. 1C - WE ARE AFRAID OF WHAT PEOPLE SAY OR THINK ABOUT US.

The theme of testimony and witness is so important to encourage and strengthen a church facing persecution because it brings a clear picture of what the end will be. This theme makes it more understandable that persecution will finally come to an end. It also depict the fact that Christ is alive and waiting for the time to come when all the faithful servants will join him in heaven. It also encourages the church by bringing out the fact that God himself gave the revelation to Jesus Christ and the angel bare witness to this testimony.

Jesus as the faithful servant has passed through all manner of persecution even unto the cross at calvary and became the first begotten of the dead. He is a proof to us that we can make it just the way he did

We are afraid because we have not understood the glory of the end of days.

• 3 weeks later...
Q1. Revelation is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution. Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose? How is Jesus as the "faithful witness" (1:5) supposed to encourage us? Why are we afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted?

Without testimony and witness, would we be able to believe it and then would the credibility be there?

Jesus is the ultimate head of the Church and our example, and it's because the culture suppresses it even though we aren't persecuted.

• 4 weeks later...

Q1. Has a few parts to it. First part "Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose?"

A: It is important in establishing that the source of the message we are going to receive is from the resurrected Christ, AS God, and establishes the vailidity of what will be said as THE word of God.

"Why is Jesus, as the "Faithful Witness" supposed to encourage us?"

A: We are encouraged by the reality of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit being one in Christ - That Jesus knows and has witnessed these events in the wholeness of time, and as a witness to the events of the future and through the continuum of time, he has blessed man with these revelations. God loves man so completely that he appears to guide us. We are comforted and given solace up front.

"Why are we afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted?"

A: In any testimony it is the nature of man to be afraid. We are imperfect and fear that even though we are not persecuted in our current society, that future societies of men, knowing our hearts, and our testimony may persecute us in the future. We should not fear however, becuase in the verse you pointed out from Matthew 5, we are told: "In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."

• 4 weeks later...

hi, My name is Bruce. Regarding the question #1 Faithful witness in persecution, For,me ,the word of God says ,that it [testimony ] is the power of God for me the believer. It builds up my strength and gives me courage to stand against the negativety of this world . It also helps other believers when they see you're not afraid to stand up and be a witness of the Lord Jesus Christ. Our example ,Jesus Himself went through it and He wants us to know we can do it too. I have never been afraid to tell people of Jesus and what He's done for me. Excuse the spelling,I'm a new kid with the computer. I believe that some people are afraid to witness or be counted because they are not sure who they are in Christ. I hope this is what you are asking for. Thanks ,Bruce

• 4 weeks later...

I beleive that testimonies and witnessing are as important then as well as now to show the love of God and Jesus and how that love will see us through all types of persecutions if we just believe in His word.

To me Jesus encourges us by his love and sacrafice as will as his teachings about the love of the Father.

I beleive that a lot of us are afraid to be clear witnesses because #1 our faith is not strong enough, and #2 because we don't know the Bible well enough to argue our point.

• 1 month later...

In order for one to be a witness or to testify, they must have first hand knowledge of a situation or event to elaborate on the facts. Faithful witnesses give other follower's a sense of encouragement, when the can see the stance and how God delivers the others to a victorious state. I believed that many people are afraid a faithful witness, because them want to be part of the main stream. They do not want anyone to attack their character, because they want to be viewed as normal.

• 1 month later...

WELL I THINK THAT WITHOUT PEOPLE WORKING AS WITNESSES. HOW WOULD YOU KNOW ABOUT GOD AND I THINK THAT WE CAN LEARN ALOT ABOUT FOR WATCHING JESUS FOR EXAMPLE. WHEN JESUS WAS MADE FUN OF OR TEMPTED BY THE DEVIL HE PRAYED TO HIS HOLY FATHER FOR PROTECTING. IF WE COULD JUST GO O THE HOLY FATHER IN PRAYER WHEN WE ARE TEMPTED OR TEASED I THINK WE COULD GET ALONG ALOT BETTER THAN WE DO. I THINK THAT IS ONE REASON WE DONT WITNESS AS MUCH. WE DONT WANT BE TO CALL US JESUS FREAKS AND OTHER NAME

• 3 weeks later...

A) The theme of testimony and witness is so important because it is a constant reminder to us that we are to stay strong in our testimony.

B) Jesus is the "faithful witness" because he is our example.

C) We are afraid to be witnesses because we are afraid of what people will think of us or how they will treat us. We don't want to be different from those around us.

• 3 weeks later...

When we testify of God, especially in the midst of persecution, the reward is far greater than our suffering. Jesus is the perfect witness of the Father. He suffered more than anybody else ever would and remained faithful throughout his life. Though we are not persecuted in our culture for testifying of God, we are still intimated by those who would mock us. It should be everybody's goal that they can overcome thier own weakness and testify of God without shame. We should all strive to follow Christ's perfect example of faith.

• 2 weeks later...

Because John is writing to a persecuted church, who are persecuted on account of their testimony for and about Jesus, he must write about the significance of continuing this ministry despite the situation. This is one major way he encourages them to continue: by over and over again reassuring them that they are doing the right thing, by writing of the testimony of Jesus and others, even themselves. He is also writing regarding the end times, when all of us will be pesecuted.

Over and over again, John writes of "the testimony of Jesus." Jesus testifies that He is the way, the truth and the life and that no one comes to the Father except through Him. Jesus testifies that He is living water and that those who accept his gift of life will certainly have eternal life. Jesus testifies that He is God with the Father and the Holy Spirit. As people striving to be Christ-like, we must also hold and share this testimony. Jesus is shown to be a faithful witness when in the face of beatings, scorn, death on a cross, numerous other threats, he still maintained his testimony that He is messiah, that He is a Holy One. Like Jesus, we must also mantain our testimony in the face of threats, suppression, persecution, scorn and ridicule.

Often, U.S. society does not persecute Christians in a physical and literal sense, Christians are often verbally and psychologically attacked. Though this in no way compares to the threat of imprisonment, beating and death, the threat of being ridiculed and laughed at or belittled often waters down our witness. Too often, we also (I also) cave to pressures of fitting in (though Jesus tells us to be in the world, but not of the world,) sometimes wondering if I am following Paul's advice to be all things to all people so that I might save some... Jesus help us all. Really, it's selfishness, fear and arrogance that holds some of us back.. speaking from my own experience. Jesus is growing me in this area so much and I know that this study will also help to strengthen me as a bold witness -sharing the testimony of Jesus honestly and gently.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that Jesus was the ultimate witness to mankind. He is decribed as the Word and therefore was literally the truth. He was also a radical in His time and threatened so many people with His teachings. To testify and be a witness is what we are called to do. This can be a very hard prospect in our secular society where we often long for acceptance. We are, however, called to be Christ-like and in that we need to also witness the truth.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I understand, the only being that can prepare us is the one that really understands God. Christ is that such being. The book of Revelation is telling us what will happen, and we, as mortals, are supposed to decipher the message and try to get the word out to others before it actually happens.

"Word of mouth" is the best form of advertising even in today's complex society - it is a well respected form - all advertisers know that people's opinions will make or break their products and services independent upon the amount of money they spend on elaborate and expensive marketing campaigns.

"Word of mouth" has its roots, beginnings, and initiation in the Bible. This is the exact way truths were spread and acknowledged. The writer's of the Bible later transcribed the truths into the tablets which became the Bible to ACCURATELY preserve and spread the truth for all of eternity. Accurately testifying and witnessing is very important for these very reasons - the Word has not changed, but people however have grossly "changed" the Word, used it out of context to apply to any situation, and overshadowed the truths and intent of the author (the Holy Spirit) with culture, tradition, opinions, and Pharissee.

Why are we afraid to witness? Some people don't understand witnessing in its many facets. As a christian, if you offer encouragement even a gentle smile to strangers, you are witnessing and reflecting the true nature of Christ and this is our duty as Christians. Asking for sinners to repent through repeating the sinners prayer and taking the Lord into their heart and lives is also witnessing - but is also a form of deliverance as well, and baby Christains who take this witnessing to this extent pre-maturely don't actually have the foundational truths to help someone in their walk. Spiritual vanity is rampant in our churches today as even seasonsed christians use scripture out of context - which is blasphemy, using the name of the Lord in vain, and exalting oneselves and socieities rules, cultures, etc. above the truths and intent of God. Some seasoned Christians "sin" even when witnessing because they overshadow the truth and beauty and simplicity of the Word with complex notions and interruptations from societies and cultures.

Discernment is crucial in witnessing - and in order to have discernment, you must have a firm scriptural foundation and personal relationship. Many christians do not witness because they fear the rejection that often accompanies or follows the Word - however if these people would understand that simply displaying the TRUE nature and character of Christ is witnessing - they will more often be accepted. There is a time and place for everything and getting into the depth of relationship is not the first place to start with unbelievers when witnessing.

People make witnessing and testifying complex - it isn't so. Jesus didn't preach to everyone, he blessed, healed, and forgave - in the name of the Father - this was his greatest mission and he fulfilled it well. He WORE the character of the Father for all to see and this was the greatest witness and testimony there is.

Often when some seasoned or unseasoned christians attempt to testify about things they do not fully understand have a personal relationship or experience with Lord over, they can actually defile the body and turn potential believers away for seasons of time in which it should not be so. If their testimony is not rooted in bibilical truth, but in traditionn and culture (judgements and accusations - rather than love and forgiveness) it is better that they don't witness actually - just display the character of Christ with smiles and a warm embrace as if to say - "we love you, God loves you" because this is really what relationship with Christ is all about.

God will forgive you for anything less than blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, the church, society, and people will not - true christians display and offer in testimony and witness the true character of Christ which is love and forgiveness - not accusations and judgements.

Churches as well christians often defile the body with accusations and judgements - this is not the true intent of Christ.