JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Intercessory Prayer

Paul describes God’s faithfulness in seeing us through crisis in vs 9-10. In vs 11, Paul recognizes the importance of others’ prayers in this process. He emphasizes the value of intercessory prayer and its effect. From time-to-time others tell me they are praying for me. I can honestly say that there have been times when their prayers have been felt. Knowing that has encouraged me to pray for others and let them know when I’m praying for them.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Paul asked the Church of Corinth to pray for him in an effort to mend his strained relationship to them. Only relating through Jesus Christ, putting Christ in the center of the relationship, could they avoid the dangers of the charismatic "super apostles", who had reeked havoc in this congregation in the past. I find Paul's example enlightening. Like Paul, my husband and I live very far away from all the people we love and care for. Although I constantly keep them in my prayers, I never thought of asking them to pray for me, especially if our relationship was not at its best. This will be a nice spiritual homework for the week!

Matthew 18:20 For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.” Whenwh

when servants of the LORD come together and pray GOD finds Joy in that and he recommends that, He loves that. Prayer works......You need it in your life.

Paul understood the power of prayer to God. He had seen the results of prayer in his past and knew that it was an essential part of his spiritual life. Paul believed that prayer was answered by God and he want his brothers and sisters in Christ to pray that he might keep being faithful and fulfill his ministry.

We are God's people and we need to pray everyday to our Father, especially praise and thanksgiving for what He has done for us. As well as our petitions of help for ourselves and others. God listens to each prayer and and answers each prayer. We have a GREAT GOD!!!!!

There has been times when I have run short of money and didn't know what to do. I prayed that God would help me understand His teaching in this situation. In a day or two, I received a refund check from my insurance company which made the difference for me.

The apostle Paul strongly believes in prayer and knows that GOD will listen to the church of Corinth if they faithfully pray for Paul' safety and success in his ministry in other regions.

Prayers of other people have an effect when hinderances are cast out, sincerity, love and faith is applied and above all,,,if the prayers are according to HIS will. There are strength in numbers when we come together in his great name, our beloved king JESUS.

When I discovered for the first time that my prayers were heard by GOD, I was more happy (thrilled to be exact), about HIM listening to me than answering me. The "answering" to my prayers was a bonus. After years and years of suffering anxiety, depression and suicidal thoughts, I finaly discovered JESUS and what he meant to me. My prayers and my pleading became more childlike to FATHER GOD and still to this day. GOD does listen and HE does answer.

Paul asks for prayer because he knew that prayer is an effective tool in reaching the heart of God. And that the more people are praying for a certain situation, the stronger those prayers will be. He, as a follower after Christ, had seen answers to prayer, and knew that the early church could only be strengthened by corporate intercession. The prayer chain in my church is known as a source of comfort and hope, and those who pray feel its power. I don't recall a specific event that convinced me of the power of prayer and the need to pray for family, friends and strangers - I just knew that it was something God required of me.

Q3. (2 Corinthians 1:10-11) Why does Paul ask people to pray for him? How do the prayers of others have an effect? What happened in your life that has helped you enter into a ministry of intercessory prayer?

There is strength in numbers and I for one always feel comforted hearing prayers of others during corporate prayer, praying alone can sometimes feel like one "crying out in the wilderness". I am not saying dont pray alone as there is a certain "personal connection" whilst doing so and when I pray during my "quiet time" it is very special, just as if I have God all to myself!

So much has happened in my life and I have witnessed the power of prayer, we all need prayer and anyway how could a person turn his back on the needs of others.

Emanuel

The power of prayer cannot be diminished by distance; it is not limited by age, infirmity or daily duty; political changes and restrictions cannot alter its effectiveness; for the word still stands, “If ye shall ask anything in my name I will do it”. The power of prayer in the life of an obedient Christian can only be undermined by neglect.

Hudson Taylor

Q3. (2 Corinthians 1:10-11) Why does Paul ask people to pray for him? How do the prayers of others have an effect? What happened in your life that has helped you enter into a ministry of intercessory prayer?

There is strength in numbers and I for one always feel comforted hearing prayers of others during corporate prayer, praying alone can sometimes feel like one "crying out in the wilderness". I am not saying dont pray alone as there is a certain "personal connection" whilst doing so and when I pray during my "quiet time" it is very special, just as if I have God all to myself!

So much has happened in my life and I have witnessed the power of prayer, we all need prayer and anyway how could a person turn his back on the needs of others.

Emanuel

The power of prayer cannot be diminished by distance; it is not limited by age, infirmity or daily duty; political changes and restrictions cannot alter its effectiveness; for the word still stands, “If ye shall ask anything in my name I will do it”. The power of prayer in the life of an obedient Christian can only be undermined by neglect.

Hudson Taylor

Paul asked people to pray for him because he knew the power of prayer. He was undergoing severe trials and suffering and was seeking to be delivered of them. He was setting his hope of continued deliverance and asked the people to partner in prayer in this. He goes on to say, "Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many." So many times we think prayer is only about getting an answer to our "wants" but Paul saw this as opportunity for encouragement for many, for God's glory to be revealed and a witness to many people of what prayer can do and how it is God's character to respond to prayer. I think too, that our "fellowship" is important in prayer as we are united to the Father with Christ and with Christ in fellowship with each other. Our prayers can and do have the same multiple purposes.

I know in my life, I have been saved from the depths of despair, addictions, unresolved grief and abuses in my life. I am very called to intercessory prayer for people in those same circumstances. I know many prayed long and hard for me in my battle to overcome. I am deeply grateful for those prayers and enjoy a changed life. I know God calls me to pray with a heart of compassion for those often labeled "hopeless" or "too far gone." I was a person many gave up on or wouldn't touch to begin with, but I know God has a plan for redemption and that there is no one too low for Him to reach down for, and to rescue, and that prayer is a vital part in the Spiritual battle for anyone's soul. My salvation was for His glory and I hope to pray so others can become free and become witnesses to His power, might, mercy and miracles in lives that were formally destitute.

Praise Him!

Paul knows the power that lies in the prayers of many saints rising to the Lord. When many pray in the same accord it begins a spiritual warfare that will put a stop to the enemies attacks. God will step in on our behalf ( where two or more agree There the Lord is also, Matt.18:19-20). When I kept being attacked by an emeny people were praying diligently on my behalf. This one particular time I went into court with only God as my lawyer. He did what no other human lawyer could have done. Since this time this person has never tried to bring false allegations against me again. I know that praying for others sends of a sweet smell of incense to our God. He hears our calls when we all band together for a just cause.

Q3. (2 Corinthians 1:10-11) Why does Paul ask people to pray for him? How do the prayers of others have an effect? What happened in your life that has helped you enter into a ministry of intercessory prayer?Because Paul knows that Prayer CHANGES things!!!Prayers of the RIGHTEOUS availath much...Coming to understand that there is POWER in Prayer

Q3. (2 Corinthians 1:10-11) Why does Paul ask people to pray for him?

In V.10 Paul speaks of how the Lord delivered them from a perilous death and believes yet again they will be delivered from danger and destruction, as they had "suffered oppressing distress in Asia, and were utterly and unbearably weighed down and crushed so that they despaired even of life itself."

He goes on in V.11 to speak about others prayers (the lips of many persons turned toward God) laboring with them in bringing the Gospel to the unsaved, and those who prayed will eventually "give thanks on our (Paul and his co-laborers for the Gospel) behalf for the grace and blessing of deliverance granted us" (Paul, and co-laborers) in answer to the intercessor's prayers.

How do the prayers of others have an effect?

Our prayers for others invite God to enter into the lives and situations of others and their lives are changed! He has limited His involvement in the lives of the unsaved, unless invited to intervene by others. When we pray for others He promises "When two or more are gathered together, there I Am in their midst." Often, the one afflicted is under such oppression and attack that they are unable to pray for themselves....(other than "HELP"....been there many times!) The prayers of others support and undergird the brother or sister in Christ and I believe the storm is quieted, peace, hope and deliverance come on the wings of the intercessory prayers, God is glorified, and we experience the joy of participating with Him in His amazing work.

I also believe the one who prays benefits....we have the privilege and delight of knowing that when the prayers were answered for the afflicted one, we shared in being part of the answer.

What happened in your life that has helped you enter into a ministry of intercessory prayer?

I became a believer because of the prayers of others. (I just wanted to die and be done with the pain of life). So because of the love and compassion of other's who prayed for me, I am very motivated to pray for others! I've experienced both in my life and have seen the power of God in other's lives in answer to prayer...my heart longs for everyone to know Him and then to make Him known.

The many trials and hardships, abuse and neglect have given me a heart of compassion for others to be provided for, comforted, delivered, encouraged, and made whole in Christ.

Paul knows that two or more, agreeing, will surely get God's attention!

I know that sometimes some people don't know how or what to pray, or they aren't saved but they know where to go for help.

Those that aren't saved may be motivated to seek God's face, and accept Jesus' free gift of salvation through intercessory prayer-I have been involved in prayer that does this.

I have come to a place where I needed prayer, and I felt the need for two or more to cry out for me. God answers prayer like that-sometimes quickly! I love helping people!

Q3. (2 Corinthians 1:10-11)

(a) Why does Paul ask people to pray for him? How prayers are answered has always been a mystery, but when you get people praying for someone like Paul, it builds a bond of a prayer chain that can have unlimited success, when the prayer is answered, no one cares who got the prayer through, it means you have a group of prayer warriors that will shakes the gates of hell. It is all done in sincere dedicated prayer life, that the devil hates. When you start praying praying in the Holy Spirit, this shakes the devil because he does not know what you are saying, only God knows.

(B) How do the prayers of others have an effect? It lets you know that their are people that can get a hold of God in an situation and you build up the confidence in others to do the same, before long you will have a group of true prayer warriors that can get a hold of God.

©What happened in your life that has helped you enter into a ministry of intercessory prayer? I have been a teacher for a number of years, but my strongest point has been my prayer life, I have quite a few people that call me and ask me to pray for them, I started wondering why they would call me and not the pastor or some one else, and every respond was that almost all the time their prayers would be answered. I have always had a heart for praying and working in the altars when people are seeking God for salvation or seeking the filling of the Holy Ghost, the flip side of this whole prayer life is that I get blessed helping others in prayer, it is a feeling that can't be explained when you help someone pray until they receive an answer. Money can't but that feeling, it is a heart felt reality.

Maranatha;

Brother Mike McCue

we had three people give their lives to God this week at our church-To God be the Glory!!!!

ANS - Because he knew he couldn't do it by himself, and the intercessory prayer of the saints would help him get through these situations, and enable him to have victory in them.

ANS - They encourage the person being prayed for, and more importantly God DOES answer prayer. He supernaturally intervenes, to God be the glory!

What happened in your life that has helped you enter into a ministry of intercessory prayer?

ANS - Well, i wish I could say I have a consistent ministry of intercessory prayer. I do pray daily, to the extent I can. But it needs to be much much more to be a "ministry" of intercessory prayer. More time each day is needed in prayer, for sure! To that goal I will strive!

<p class="ipsLikeBar right clearfix" id="rep_post_69859" style="margin-top: 10px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 10px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; float: right; font-size: 11px; ">

• Like This

• MultiQuote

The power of prayer is tremenous, Paul knows if people pray for him, or even, anyone God hears those prayers, God's powerful love answers those prayers. Right now on this day, I pray daily for strength, for the will of God to be done in my life. I pray to God and tell him I will do your will in my life. That is the only way to get through yours/my trials of everyday life.

WHY DOES PAUL ASK PEOPLE TO PRAY FOR HIM?

2COR.1:10-11

IN THIS TEXT, PAUL DOES NOT ASK ANYONE TO

PRAY FOR HIM, BUT RATHER COMMENDS THE

CORINTHIANS FOR PRAYING FOR HIM

PAUL ASK THE THESSALONIANS TO PRAY FOR HIM

2THES.3:1-2

GOD'S WORD HAVE FREE COURSE

BE DELIVERED FROM EVIL MEN

IN THIS TEXT PAUL ASK THE THESSALONIIANS TO

PRAY FOR HIM: THAT GOD WORD WILL HAVE FREE

COURSE

AND THAT HE WOULD BE DELIVERED FROM EVIL MEN

HOW DO THE PRAYERS OF OTHERS HAVE EFFECT?

(JAMES 5:13-20)

SAVE THE SICK

FORGIVES SIN

ACCORDINGLY TO SCRIPTURES, PRAYERS OF OTHER

RIGHTEOUS PEOPLE CAN SAVE THE SICK AND FORGIVE

SINS

WHAT HAPPENED IN YOUR LIFE THAT HAS HELP YOU

ENTER INTO A MINISTRY OF INTERCESSORY PRAYER

I BECAME A PASTOR

PASTOR THOMPSON

Prayers are answered. From the very first moment I surrendered to God my prayers began to be answered. Praying for others has brought amazing results, so by others praying for you, God's power is revealed. We are a community which is what God wants and praying for each other is a very strong binding force for this community.I prayed for someone just as lost as I was and God's light has shone strong ever since.

Paul was a church planter and apostle and so was very busy and had just gone through terrible suffering, so it was right and scriptural for the church to pray for him. The prayers of others release God's power and grace toward us. When I was a new believer, one of the pastors used to pray for me and I was amazed at the power of it and the wonderful love and peace and presence of God, that his prayers released. It got me interested in prayer and I joined the church prayer group, prayer has been a big part of my Christian life.

Prayer makes us stronger. It gives us a sense that we are not alone in dealing with what we have to deal with. When I am going through a trial, I find great comfort in the fact that I know that people are praying for me and that sometimes gives me a peace that passes all understanding.

Answer;

1. Why does Paul ask people to pray for him? How do the prayers of others have an effect?

Paul believes that God answers Prayers..That’s why he ask people to pray for Him.

Jesus said in John 14:14- If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.

Jesus tells us to ASK….ASK….SEEK…KNOCK..(Matthew 7:7)

The Lord said…Remind me(Isaiah 43:26- Put me in remembrance let us plead declare thou, that thou mayest be justified.

Even God tells Jesus to ASK…

Psalms 2:7-8- 2:7 The king says, “I will announce the Lord’s decree. He said to me: You are my son! This very day I have become your father.Ask me,and I will give you the nations as your inheritance, the ends of the earth as your personal property.

How to ask?...By speaking in PRAYERS…it is that simple.

2. What happened in your life that has helped you enter into a ministry of intercessory prayer?

I know that God answer Prayers and that He is not willing that anyone should Perish(2 Peter 3:9- The Lord is not slow concerning his promise, as some regard slowness, but is being patient toward you, because he does not wish for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.).

Moses,Abraham has been doing intercessory prayers for the people..Jesus Himself is interceding for us. Right now…

Hebrews 7:25- Therefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

Prayers is probably one of the highest form of Praise…We pray,because we need a Saviour..We pray because we cant do it on our own..We pray because we know that There is somebody out there,the most powerful God,listening for us..We pray because we RELY on HIM…

Amen.

Paul seems to know, and attempt to teach us, the mystery of prayer. He holds prayer as the factor that has saved him, believing their requests directly impacted his deliverance. Prayer changes things; Jesus said, "if two of you on earth agree about something and pray for it, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven." (Matt 18:19) All the apostles believed in the power of prayer and wrote of it's importance. (James 5:15-16, Phil 4:6, 1Thes 5:17-18) I thank God that He sometimes shows us a glimpse of the impact our prayers have; it may be through healing (spiritual or physical), guidance in a decision, a needed resource; a confirmation that He listens and answers. A glimpse of His power is all I need to pray boldly and believe wholeheartedly that prayer changes things!

1. Paul knew the power of prayer, and asked for his brothers and sisters in the Lord to pray for him. It surely would have helped heal the rift between him and the church there too...its hard to stay emotionally distant from someone you are praying for. Like when we obey god's command to Pray for our enemies, after a time they don't seem like enemies anymore. We see them for what they are....others created by God with needs too. Maybe even with the biggest need of all....Christ.

2. Prayers of others effect us because it releases good things from God. He says we lack because we do not ask. Also it helps just to know that there are people praying for you.

3. I am sorry to say that prayer is my weak point but I tend to be best at intercessary prayer after having a personal encounter with someone who is really in need of prayer and God's help. When we open up to each other and stop hiding behind the masks we wear and risk showing others we don't "have it all together" its then that we can really relate and feel empathy for each other. We also have a better understanding of how best to pray for them. This has happened through retreats I have been on where several of us girls go to a conference together and share a hotel room. After listening to godly speakers all day the sharing begins and when we all start to get real with each other we gain a better understanding or the stuggles we are each going through and how best to pray for each other.

Paul believes in the power of prayer, knowing that the more people that are praying, the more there will be to give thanks to as the prayers are answered.

The more prayers that are going up to God, the more faith is going forth, and the effect of the prayers of the faithful is all powerful, the effect is felt not only on the person prayed for, but also for the person praying, I think this is a reason why Paul asks people to pray, stay in tuned with God Almighty. :rolleyes: