JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (2 Corinthians 3:2-3) In what sense are we “living letters”? In what way can people “read us”? Why is it so important to be authentic, not phony, in our lives? What happens when people “read” something in you that they admire and mention it to you? How might you respond appropriately?

We are "living letters"in the sense that what people see in our conduct sends a clear message about our inward person.

By our actions people can tell whether what we claim to be matches the action or not. This explains why we we should be what we are without pretending which is hypocracy.

When people "read" something in me that they admire and mention it to me, I will feel naturally happy but I will attribute everything to the Almighty God who enabled me to be what I am.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People can read us by how we live our daily lives...that our words match our walk. People can see the phoniness in us especially if they spend a little time with you. Thank them and thank God.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 3:2-3) In what sense are we "living letters" ?

We are “living letters” when we share with those are not familiar with God's word. We are HIS proof that God existed.

In what way can people "read us" ? For example, if we say we love Christ with all our heart, with all our mind, with all our strength, and with all our soul, but living like a criminal who said things that are not biblical, we should not expect people to think otherwise.

Why is it so important to be authentic, not phony, in our lives?

God desires that we be honest, truthful, and faithful in our lives so this way, we showed that we belong to GOD.

What happens when people "read" something in you that they admire and mention it to you? It is pleasing to know, but most of al we glory the name of our LORD JESUS CHRIST.

How might you respond appropriately? Pray for guidance from God.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 3:2-3) In what sense are we “living letters”? In what way can people “read us”? Why is it so important to be authentic, not phony, in our lives? What happens when people “read” something in you that they admire and mention it to you? How might you respond appropriately?

We are living letters, because people read us like a letter and often use what they see in us, to apply to their own lives. People read us like a book. They see how we react to things, what we have to say and whether we live our lives as we should, for Jesus. It is important to be authentic and not phony, because if someone wants to copy the way we look and live, we must be authentic, so that we don't cause someone to stumble, by being phony. When someone reads something in us that they admire, etc., we must always be ready to respond positively and with what Christ wants us to say, not what we think or might say.

I think being a living letter is more about what you do than what you say. As the saying goes ...." What you do is so loud that I can't hear what you're saying ...." Without a spirit-led life (living according to God's standard and will as opposed to the world's) phoniness and a serious discrepancy btw what you say and what you do-  is inevitable and since as christians we are ambassadors/representatives of christ, you become a letter that speaks lies and misinformation about who christ is. Very sad indeed.

1. WE ARE LIVING LETTERS BY THE WAY WE LIVE OUR LIVES. WHEN WE GIVE OUR LIVES TO CHRIST WE ARE TO SHOW TO EVERYONE THE HOLY SPIRIT LIVES WITHIN US.

2. WE ARE TO SAY THAT IT IS THE GIFT GOD GAVE TO US -THE HOLY SPIRIT. I WOULD SAY I TAKE NE CREDIT IT IS JESUS THAT LIVES WITHIN ME

1. WE ARE LIVING LETTERS BY THE WAY WE LIVE OUR LIVES. WHEN WE GIVE OUR LIVES TO CHRIST WE ARE TO SHOW TO EVERYONE THE HOLY SPIRIT LIVES WITHIN US.

2. WE ARE TO SAY THAT IT IS THE GIFT GOD GAVE TO US -THE HOLY SPIRIT. I WOULD SAY I TAKE NO CREDIT IT IS JESUS THAT LIVES WITHIN ME

Q2. (2 Corinthians 3:2-3) In what sense are we "living letters" and in what way can people read us?

The way we live our lives, will spell out to others if what we testify of is true or not, others will be able to read whether or not the gospel is genuine or not.

If we are not authentic in our lives, then we are just as lost as all the others.

What happens when people "read" something in you that they admire and mention it to you, how might you respond appropriately?

I would respond graciously excepting it, for I know I owe it all to Him.

We are called to give and do our best in all we do, and therefore the greatest complement we are striving for is to hear Him say, "Well done thou good and faithful servant". :)

Q2. (2 Corinthians 3:2-3) In what sense are we "living letters" and in what way can people read us?

The way we live our lives, will spell out to others if what we testify of is true or not, others will be able to read whether or not the gospel is genuine or not.

If we are not authentic in our lives, then we are just as lost as all the others.

What happens when people "read" something in you that they admire and mention it to you, how might you respond appropriately?

I would respond graciously excepting it, for I know I owe it all to Him.

We are called to give and do our best in all we do, and therefore the greatest complement we are striving for is to hear Him say, "Well done thou good and faithful servant". :)

It is important for a christian to be real because they are a lot of people looking at us and we to be window for them. People ccan read us by the way that we care ourself,the way we are at work if we are living the life that we say out of our mouths.

We are to be real and not phony because we are a walking letter for our father.When people see something in me that they like it want my father have done by me reading his words and living by it.It showing and people can see it.To response to that is to be humble.

In what sense are we “living letters”? In what way can people “read us”? Why is it so important to be authentic, not phony, in our lives? What happens when people “read” something in you that they admire and mention it to you? How might you respond appropriately?

1) We are "living letters" in the sense when people can see the change in us.

2) People can 'read us" by the way we live our lives. They will be able to see the spirit of Living God embedded in our hearts.

3) It is important to be authentic, not phoney, in our lives because people are watching us. We do not want people to get the wrong message.

4) When people "read" something in me that they admire and mention it to me it lets me know that I let my light shine where others may see my good works.

5) I always respond that I owe it all to God. Depending on the situation, I use it as an opportunity to witness.

In what sense are we “living letters”? What we don't see in this question, is that the text refers not to an individual, but to a church - the church of Corinth. What doesn't appear either, is that a letter is always ... sent! So we together are sent into the world where we live, to bring the message that Christ has written on our hearts. Each of us will fail in some part, and one could think of an individual that he is somebody very special ... but when they see christians together, they should have the whole picture, and be marveled "see how they love each other!"... it does not necessarily bring people to Christ, but should the church have favor of all the people (Acts 2:47)

In what way can people “read us”? "out of the abundance of the heart [ones] mouth speaks" (Luke 6:45) ... and yes, sure, if the Holy Spirit fills us, it shows :)

Why is it so important to be authentic, not phony, in our lives? Because we are sons of God, so we should act like God (Luke 6:35) ... instead, if we are not, we lie, and follow the devil (Joh 8:44) who is a liar and the father of lies. What can man do to us, that we should be afraid of telling the truth, even when it implies admitting our weaknesses and faults?

What happens when people “read” something in you that they admire and mention it to you? I happened not to even realize that there was another option, when I was once asked how I could take the defense of a teacher that was neglecting the course she was giving us. We don't see ourselves, and it may be hard to understand what they mean; also, when we gave our lives to Christ when we were young, it's harder to compare with how we were before.

I think in those circumstances, I should almost always ask for people to describe what they mean; it should also give me the time to react, and to answer appropriately!

How might you respond appropriately? In speaking the truth of what I know: I can tell that I believe God is changing me, but I need to give reasons why I think it is indeed the explanation for what they tell me. People don't want some "learnt by heart" typical answer. Often if they ask, it shows that seeing you're not fake, they can be courageous and express the fact that they have no satisfying answer, unveiling a little what is actually in their mind: their fear of death, etc. ... they hope in return that you will answer them in truth in a way that they themselves might understand, to make their mind about the solution that you might have?

Let us give them contextual, down to earth answers, in such a way that they could see that it is clearly in their reach, and know the direction to take to get what we have! :-)

In what sense are we “living letters”?

We are "living letters" in the sense that our lives are often the "Bible" that people read. Our deeds tell them more about being a Christian than the words we speak. Many people know the Word of God; what they are looking for is a practical model to show them that this standard of living is attainable.

In what way can people “read us”?

People read us by looking at our relationships, the way we treat others, the way we interact with our loved ones, our conversations and how we respond when under pressure or stress. This is when they can tell what we are truly made of and what is in our hearts.

When we are phony we give people the wrong impression about Christianity. When we are phony we make it seem as though we are these perfect beings who are never tempted and never fall. This is an immediate turn off to those who may want to come to Christ but know that they are far from being perfect. They may feel as though they can never be a Christian because their life can never compare to the one you are portraying.

However, when we are authentic, people see the struggles we go through. When they see that you are really not perfect but that you are a fallen, broken person lifted up and made whole in Christ then they are more inclined to allow Jesus into their hearts to lift them up and heal their brokenness.

What happens when people “read” something in you that they admire and mention it to you?

When this happens I usually give God praise. Sometimes it is silent praise.

How might you respond appropriately?

By giving God praise and letting them know that it is not because of me that I am able to do or be anything worthy of admiration but it is because of Christ living in me that makes the difference.

The way that we are “living letters” is that we will tell others about our Lord Jesus Christ. The way that people “read us” is that they see what we are doing and see the joy in us that they want that also. The reason that it is important to be authentic, not phony, in our lives is because they will be able to read that in us also. The thing that happens when people “read” something in me that they admire and mention is that sometimes they may change their way of living and become a Christian. The way to respond appropriately is to invite them into church or just go and visit them and talk about Jesus Christ.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 3:2-3) In what sense are we "living letters" ?

We are living letter in the sense that people read us, our attitudes, our actions, our behavior, what we say, the motives behind what we say and do. The way we conduct ourselves gives those around us a perceived picture. This perceived picture can reflect the Lord and His character positively, unfortunately we can also project misinterpretations as well.

In what way can people "read us" ?

Because people do not have the ability to read our minds, they through observation read us by what we do or say. Some are more observant than others they can gain a greater perspective from how we say what we say and also gain insight from our body language.

Hypocrisy fragrance has strength as well. it has a smell that's not pleasing. It is important to the genuine, authentic to live by the Word, the Character and values of God. Where by an onlooker can see Christ as He lives within us. We must as children of God adhere to the Holy Spirit's leading so that we as reflective lights reflect Him, so that we as salt will not be too salty. It is important to be authentic as Believers so that "so that God's Spirit may flow unimpeded and uncontaminated through us to touch others".

What happens when people "read" something in you that they admire and mention it to you?

It let's know that three people are blessed, the Father is blessed as I praise Him, the person is blessed as I allowed the Holy Spirit to use me and I am blessed to have been used in a positive manner. I feel joy on the inside, acknowledge God in some manner and often the person too. letting them know that they blessed me as well.

The response vary dependent on the comment, nonetheless it is always my desire to respond in a manner that would not displease God.

We are living letters to be read by others in the sense that our lives give information when they are seen and heard by others. What is seen in our lives reveals what is hidden in our hearts. Genuineness is so important as people trust someone who is genuine, but do not trust someone who is not. When my life reads badly, it is better to acknowledge it rather than to try and pretend and cover it up. This gives me then the opportunity to repent before God and others, but at least to stay credible. When my life reads well, I need to respond thankfully and humbly. Knowing that it is God who has written into my life with the good ink of his Spirit, it is not my own handwriting.

• 2 weeks later...

We are living letters in the sense that those around us will see how we live in light of the fact that we are Christians. They will measure what it is be be a Christian by our demonstration of Christian living. People "read us" by the attitudeswe display towards them and how we react to situations. Our actions speaks very loudly. Therefore it is important that as Christians we should strive to live spotless. From time to time people might "read" something in us that they admire and mention it. When they do, genuinely thank them, and thank God for giving you the grace to accomplish His work here on earth.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 3:2-3) In what sense are we "living letters"?

We are “living letters,” when we see the fruit of the gospel in our lives, and when we live authentic lives before God and the world. When people know that we are Christians they should see Christ living in us and through us each and every day by what we say, do, and how we live.

In what way can people "read us"?

People can “read us” by watching how we live our lives, by seeing whether or not our walk for God match our talk.

It is important to be authentic, and not phony in our lives, because we live in a world of hypocrites and phony people. God want us not to be selfish, but humbly live a life that is worthy of the gospel before Him, and before the world.

What happens when people "read" something in you that they admire and mention it to you?

When people “read” something in me that they admire and mention it to me they are being drawn to God by my life.

My response to people who admire what I do is to use that as an opportunity to praise, magnify, and glorify God.

We are "living letters" in the sense that the gospel has been written in our hearts that we may share it with those who need a Savior.

People can "read us" not only by what we say,but by our actions,and the lifestyle we live.

It is important to be authentic not phony in our lives because most people can sense if our Christianity is genuine or not.

If someone "reads" something in you they admire and mention it to you,you should thank them,but give the glory to God.

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (2 Corinthians 3:2-3)

In what sense are we “living letters”?

The bible is only a book to know the True Living God. We are living letters where the Word of God is made into our life where others will see God in Us.

In what way can people “read us”?

They read us whether we are good or bad Christians

If we are a TRUE Christians, we will strive to walk in the Lord so that our life will turn others to the Lord. Besides we have to give an account to our Savior, The Lord Jesus, that we are not a stumbling block to others.

What happens when people “read” something in you that they admire and mention it to you? How might you respond appropriately?

I give all the credit to my Lord Jesus Christ.

• 1 month later...

If we bear the name “Christian” and are allowing ourselves to be transformed by the indwelling Holy Spirit, we represent Christ to the world. People, who do not know Christ, learn of him through our actions and reactions. They will know when our actions do not agree with our words. When they do see us representing Christ well and mention it, we should use it as an opportunity to give God the glory while accepting the compliment.

• 7 months later...

2a)People watch how we live our selfish or not we live ourlives.I pray that I will show compassion, be honest and hard working and not be a burden to others around me. B) People can see through any insincerity when we claim to live for Jesus.By our actions they can see what is on our hearts. C)We can convey misleading,distorted message to unbelievers and be a stumbling block and even turn people away to them knowing the truth. D)We can be tempted to puff up our pride,I try to point them away from me to the Lord. E)I try to say it is not me but Christ they are seeing in me, and resist pride temptation about me doing it.

• 1 year later...

The way we live tells the world who we are and what we believe without saying a word.  Actions speak louder than words and people read our actions.  When we are phony we have no credibility with others.  If we, as Christians, are not authentic we have nothing to offer God or others that is real or meaningful.   

Right actions that inspire others serves as a witness for Jesus Christ that is real.   That real witness might be the thing that changes another persons life for eternity. 

• 3 months later...

To thine own "inner" self be true. Life is short and soon it is past, only what's done with love will last. We thank God for life in this very moment and long to be read as authentic Christians. We will not sell-out, we will declare our love of Christ to all we God entices us to speak to.

We are alive and I pray for this glow to burn holes in people's eyes who see us, let us be unforgettable to His Glory

• 8 months later...

Q2. (2 Corinthians 3:2-3) In what sense are we "living letters" ? In what way can people "read us" ? Why is it so important to be authentic, not phony, in our lives? What happens when people "read" something in you that they admire and mention it to you? How might you respond appropriately? http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1079

Especially to the unbelieving world, we are a “letter” or “book” because believers are always being “watched”, “looked at”, “read”.  Therefore, the contents of the letter they read will communicate a definite message and the believer needs to be sure what the letter actually says to them. A child/a pet knows who is genuine by the behavior, the words spoken, the life lived, and the mode of treatment they receive.  The same is absolutely true of our relationship/behavior in the world.  In fact, this statement has been written and said many times:  “You may be the only book the people of the world will ever read”.

It is very important, if we really believe that one of our Christian roles is to share the message of Jesus, that we do not cloud, distort or alter the real meaning of our message.  Through how we act, behave, share, speak, we provide the reality of our message through those actions in our part.  We could drastically affect the message through wrong or confusing actions.  We need to be authentic, not phony, in our everyday lives to share the true gospel of Jesus.  The only way to be sure of our authenticity is to allow the Holy Spirit to have His way in our hearts so that the “letter”, “book”, “message” does not get distorted or give out the wrong interpretation of the Gospel because we have “smudged” the words.