JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Ministry Training and Spirit Direction

Q. (2 Corinthians 3:4-6) What is the balance between the need for training in ministry (either in the local church or in schools) and personal submission to the Spirit of God?

A. Regardless how one often trains in the ministry, it will not be effective if you don't have a personal relationship, guidance and blessing from the Spirit of GOD. There will be no fruit (good positive results) without the HOLY SPIRIT's help.

Q. Are you able to “listen to the Spirit’s voice” in your own life?

A. Yes, but unfortunately I have to admit as a born again believer I have strayed away from his advice many times, many times! And I fell short on not only on personal ministry training but battling the enemy. I'm working hard against my carnal nature and place further effort to obey and submit to the gentle guidance of the HOLY SPIRIT's voice.

Q. Why would this ability be so important in being a competent minister? Well, simply put, with the Spirit's voice there is no wrong. You can place your whole faith on it and know that your ministry is in good hands from "THE TEACHER". :-)

Q3. (2 Corinthians 3:4-6) What is the balance between the need for training in ministry (either in the local church or in schools) and personal submission to the Spirit of God? Training can cause us to become humble as a person; however, we need to submit to God in everything. We need to realize we are sinners and that we cannot do it alone. God is our help and our provider. Without HIM nothing is possible.

Are you able to "listen to the Spirit's voice" in your own life? Prayer and reading scripture and just being by myself really helps. We have to shut out the world and be alone with God to hear him perfectly. But at times, this is impossible. Training is need to perfect this skill, but you have to allow the Holy Spirit to come into your life.

Why would this ability be so important in being a competent minister? A competent minister is very needed in today's church for he is the one can shows good examples which may change lives of those who are lost. When you are humble and firm in your leadership, people follow the way you lead.

Q3. (2 Corinthians 3:4-6) What is the balance between the need for training in ministry (either in the local church or in schools) and personal submission to the Spirit of God? Are you able to “listen to the Spirit’s voice” in your own life? Why would this ability be so important in being a competent minister?

We need to know the Bible well and study it if we are to be effective in ministry. We also need to do what the Bible says; we need to lay our lives down, pray, and have a real relationship with God, we need to be baptized and operate in the gifts of the Spirit. I am able to listen to the Spirit's voice at times. A competent minister needs all of these things to teach the flock and lead them to Jesus, he must be sensitive to the Spirit and to the spiritual state of the people to help them to grow most effectively.

I think Paul's ministry is the perfect example of the value of training vs submission to the Holy Spirit. He was a pharisee, highly trained in the law at the feet of Gamaliel and was zealous for the things of God. But without the Holy Spirit's guidance, all he ended up doing was persecuting, hunting down and killing christians. But oh what a difference the holy spirit made! By submitting to the spirit of God, he ended up with such a powerful and effective ministry. He's one of the most influential early christian missionaries. I can't even begin to measure his contribution to the growth of the early church or new testament writings!

With the benefit of hindsight, its apparent that all his previous rabbinic training was part of God's work ...." preparing him beforehand to do the work He'd called him to do .... (Eph 2:10)

In a nutshell, Paul's knowledge and  training in scripture made him a powerful and effective minister. Without the holy spirit, however, all that would have come to nought.

Q3. (2 Corinthians 3:4-6) What is the balance between the need for training in ministry (either in the local church or in schools) and personal submission to the Spirit of God? Are you able to “listen to the Spirit’s voice” in your own life? Why would this ability be so important in being a competent minister?

Training to me can be compared to the process of discipleship making where the the disciples are taught the fundamentals of the ministry. However the power of the Holy Spirit is requuired for effective and fruitful ministry.

To a certain extend, I am able to listen to voice of the Spirit in my ministry. The Holy Spirit has been my great partner, guide and teacher not only in the miistry but also my secular life. Without Him I cannot function well.

WE CANNOT TAKE CREDIT FOR ANYTHING IN THIS LIFE. THE HOLY SPIRIT LIVES WITHIN US AND THAT COMES FROM OUR SAVIOR. THROUGH THE HOLY SPIRIT WE HAVE ETERNAL LIFE.THERE ARE MINISITERS WHO TAKE CREDIT FOR WHAT THE LORD DONE IN THEIR LIFE ,BUT EVERYTHING COMES FROM OUR SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST.

The balance between trainin and personal is that training helps with the meaning of our word and when the holy spirit

helping you . You will have the balance because the holy Spirit is there for you.

Yes I am able to heard God voice what we need to realize is that sometime or most of the time it that small voice or impression on your heart.

This voice is important because this is want we need in ministry is to hear the voice of God.

Q3. (2 Corinthians 3:4-6) What is the balance between the need for training in ministry (either in the local church or in schools) and personal submission to the Spirit of God?

To show ourselves approved, God tells us to study so that we know His Word; there is great need to be trained in the ministry, a balance that is needed in order for the Spirit to work appropriately through its ministry.

Are you able to "listen to the Spirit's voice" in your own life?

Believers have the Spirit and are able to listen to the Spirit's voice, but to listen without obedience is of no avail, I cannot, nor do I want to live one moment without the Holy Spirit's voice leading me, I know how important it is that I listen to the Spirit, I try very hard to obey its voice so that I won't have to feel the double edged sword giving me direction, I have learned through trial and error, fully understanding, greater is Spirit that is in me!

Why would this ability be so important in being a competent minister?

To be a competent minister "of the Lord", one MUST be lead by the Spirits voice, otherwise his competency would be that of the "flesh", and I have seen too many ministers who by the worlds standards are competent, but what we need today are ministers who not only know the word, but are listening to the Spirits voice, something America, the world is in desperate need of. :huh:

What is the balance between the need for training in ministry (either in the local church or in schools) and personal submission to the Spirit of God? Are you able to “listen to the Spirit’s voice” in your own life? Why would this ability be so important in being a competent minister?

1) The balance between the need for training in ministry and personal submission to the Spirit of God in training teaches charater development and practical topics such as leadership, church planting, and evangelism needed to grow the church. Also, it helps to interpret the scriptures and think critically. However, none of that would mean a thing without God's help. Relying on our own natural talent will only get us so far. We must submit to the Holy Spirit. When we do that and let God work through the Holy Spirit, we will have a powerful and effective ministry.

2) Yes, I am able to "listen to the Spirit's voice. Problem is I don't want to do what it says all the time.

3) This ability is important in being a competent minister because the Holy Spirit is what guides you. It will not guide you wrong. If by chance you follow the Holy Spirit and end up in a place that you feel you should not be, know that God makes no mistakes and there is a reason for it. Just continue to trust God and in the end you will see a perfect plan come together.

What is the balance between the need for training in ministry (either in the local church or in schools) and personal submission to the Spirit of God?

There is no balance to have: personal submission must be 100%!!

The Holy Spirit might ask us to get trained, and actually we are searching to get to know God and serve Him, serve His people, better. So we should naturally be inclined to get trained ... but all this should be submitted to God!

Training can be a danger: Indeed, I have already been tempted to get trained in theology, so that people who know me (christian ones) could see how spiritual I was ... but the Lord wants us to listen to His voice first:-/

Are you able to “listen to the Spirit’s voice” in your own life? It is not about being able, but about being attentive to His voice, in the expectation of what He will tell us ... because we are hungry for His word, as we have tasted that the Lord is good!! :-)

Why would this ability be so important in being a competent minister? If we have not yet understood that the Word of the Lord was so good that it is worth waiting for it ... then how can we communicate around us, and have everybody understand that they can have hope in the Lord, for He is good? More over, through the Holy Spirit, we have a relationship with Christ. And this is the key point that makes our action remarkable: "Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated, common men, they were astonished. And they recognized that they had been with Jesus." (Act 4:13)

At that point one could still imagine that the teaching Jesus gave to his disciple was the key. But look at the second epistle of Peter, and see how he emphasizes the need to focus on getting to know Jesus personnally, intimately, as the way to stand firm through persecution ... knowledge about spiritual things does not make you bold, personal knowledge of Jesus and His love for us does.

I believe that training and submission to God's Holy Spirit are both important. I am currently at Bible College and there is so much that I have already learned in preparation for ministry. There are skills, techniques and practices which equips one to be a better leader by teaching you how to understand and work with people, how to facilitate growth in the church and many other things which are important in ministry. However, if all of this is done without the presence of the Holy Spirit then it is all an exercise in futility. God's Holy Spirit is not an excuse for lack of training but training does not replace the working of the Spirit. In fact God can use a person who is not trained but who is sold out to Him and He has done this at times. However, I believe that if the opportunity for training exists then it would be poor stewardship to pass over the opportunity as this can only assist in improving the quality of one's ministry.

Yes I am able to listen to the Spirit's voice in my life.

While training may give the general idea of what to do in particular situations, the Holy Spirit is capable of giving specific instructions for specific situations. The ministry of any minister is God's ministry first and God's Holy Spirit communicates God's will for His ministry to us. Therefore, it is critical that the minister be in tune with the voice of God's Holy Spirit if he / she is to be a competent minister.

Q3. (2 Corinthians 3:4-6) What is the balance between the need for training in ministry (either in the local church or in schools) and personal submission to the Spirit of God? Are you able to “listen to the Spirit’s voice” in your own life? Why would this ability be so important in being a competent minister?Word says that 1 must show themselves approved,knowing the WORD of GOD and accepting the HOLY SPIRIT as the ADVOCATE is the balance for a Christian life...Yes when i am in the Spirit but when i am in flesh it is difficult"The SPIRIT is willing but the flesh is weak"!!!How can the Shepard lead the flock if the Shepard is lost???Word says if the blind leads the blind both will fall in a ditch...GOD BLESS

The balance between the need for training in ministry and personal submission to the Spirit of God is that training is needed for the intellect and the Spirit of God is needed for the spiritual side of our being. We should not let the intellect guide the Spirit because we are thinking we know more than the Spirit.

I am able to “listen to the Spirit’s voice” in my own life. The only problem is that I try to shut it out when I don’t like what I am hearing. I think that this ability is so important not only in the competent minister but also in the lay person. We have all got to be listening to the Spirit but it is more important for the minister because he is the one that is guiding us and he can only guide us with the Spirit’s help.

Q3. (2 Corinthians 3:4-6) What is the balance between the need for training in ministry (either in the local church or in schools) and personal submission to the Spirit of God?

The balance is that both are needed, Jesus taught some whom were called unlearned (Acts 4:13) . Those whom he taught did not have the same credentials and the religious leaders, however " they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus." These men were taught as they implemented what they had been taught the greatest success was achieved as they submitted to Holy Spirit. The Pharisees were deemed as trained, Joseph of Arimathaea, Nicodemus, and the other Pharisees that came to Christ they had professional knowledge, their knowledge had a greater likeness relating to God as their ppersonal / intimate relationship with Christ grew. The balance is that both are needed , submission to the Spirit helps us to keep our spirit's under submission thereby we use the knowledge according to the Spirit's leading.

The Bible was not given to increase our knowledge but to change our lives.

D.L. Moody

Yes, I think that any person who have surrendered their self to Christ can. However I must confess that I have at times listened to Self, what it wants over the Spirit's voice. I have at times saw the way of escape and yet listened carnally to Self. I'm so thankful that He remains faithful even when I am not, I'm so grateful that He is merciful, and extends His mercy. Sometimes the little foxes besets, however when I come to myself, I return to Him, I thank Him because I can come before Him in repentance, that I can repent and I pray for strength and empowerment. Paul never said that the Corinthians were not Christians, he did however reveal their carnality (that they had problems. I like as well that he said as the once were, as I once was. .

He who have an ear let him hear, listening and hearing the Spirit's voice allows the minister to be competent. They will then be in the Will of God, and not in their own will.

Good training equips us with knowledge of God’s word and how to apply in life situations. We can benefit from the wisdom of others throughout the ages as they have learned from and interpreted God’s word. We can also learn the pitfalls and dangers that has been gained from both a knowledge of history and the personal experience of godly mentors. Training teaches us to work within structures of accountability so that we do not become loose cannons thinking we know it all. It teaches us to be humble, and to handle relationships challenges wisely, so essential in ministry.

At the same time, we have been given to Spirit within us to guide us, and so we need to be attuned to his personal voice for our lives and daily choices. God uses us as individuals with our specific gifts and placements in life, but he also wants to grow and mature us through our wider Christian community and context.

My need is to take the time to practise daily to listen to the Spirit’s voice as I read God’s word, seek how to apply it, and “listen” in prayer and waiting on God. I am still also needing to learn how to consciously carry this attitude with em throughout the day. This is important as I need to make decisions each day in relation to what God allows to come into my day. My responses in ministry need to be God-sensitive if they are to be effective and beneficial to those to whom I minister.

• 2 weeks later...

The ministry of God's work must be lead by the Spirit of God. As in all areas of life we are trained in correct induction, interpretation, application, etc.in any given subject; a minister in order to apply him/herself to ministry of the Word of God should also seek to be trained by those who are matured in the faith and are able to instruct them doctrinally and theologically. With all the training one can acquire from books and man, we still need to submit to the Spirit of God for God's Will to be done through us.

Are you able to “listen to the Spirit’s voice” in your own life?

I try to live my live by "listening to the Holy Spirit's voice."

The ability to listen to the Holy Spirit's voice is very important in being a competent minister because as we are leading others we need to hear God speaking and directing us to accomplish His will through us.

The balance between the need for training in ministry and personal submission to the Spirit of God is important for a Christian to be effective in their ministry if they are:

• Led by the Spirit of God and is listening to the Spirit’s voice,

• Know the Scriptures,

• Know the Scriptures and can interpret them soundly and wisely,

• Have spiritual gifts for ministry and exercise them with care and wisdom,

• Are of tested moral character and live a holy life,

• Have a healthy and growing devotional life,

• Act properly in terms of money, sex, and power (areas that have derailed many promising ministries), and

• Continue in accountability to their elders and peers in the larger Church, so that they don't get off track doctrinally, morally, or spiritually.

Yes, I am listening to the Spirit’s voice for my life.

To have the ability to listen to the Spirit’s voice is important to be a competent minister, because it is God who makes a minister competent through the Spirit.

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. (2 Corinthians 3:4-6)

What is the balance between the need for training in ministry (either in the local church or in schools) and personal submission to the Spirit of God?

Training is usually based on knowledge however personal submission to the Spirit is wisdom. Effectiveness in ministry relies on this two.

Yes, in certain time of my own life.

This ability is so important in being a competent minister as it makes the minister effective in whatever plan.

• 1 month later...

Personal submission to the indwelling Holy Spirit is the foundation for ministry. The church builds on that foundation through teaching, mentoring, recognizing and nurturing giftedness in an individual Christian. We have all been given a “ministry of reconciliation” (2 Cor 5) and our competence to minister depends on listening to the “Spirit’s voice” and coming under the authority of those God has placed in positions to help prepare us for ministry.

• 7 months later...

3a)Submission to the Spirit is fundamental for ministers to be sincere,honest, be fully effective, competent. He is the one who fine tunes our interpreting of scriptures, enables us to communicate relevant messages to church/schools/all we meet, helps us make the critical decisions, be wise in our leadership, evangelism, mission.helps our character,morals,devotional life to be moulded. Training teaches knowledge,equips, &moulds us through church work as we listen to God & our trust is in Him.Ordination is a sign to all that minister’s have been called by God have gifts of the Spirit&skills needed for ministry. Training coupled with Spirit vital to produce fruit that will last,main purpose of ministry.

• 1 year later...

The balance is that training in ministry is part of a minister's spiritual development and should be motivated by the Holy Spirit.  In any given environment, be in the classroom or in the field, Christians must personally submit themselves to the Spirit of God. 

Yes I am able to listen to the Spirit's voice and a competent minister is Holy-Spirit filled and led.  You cannot do the effective work of the Lord without the Holy Spirit.

• 11 months later...

Q3. (2 Corinthians 3:4-6) What is the balance between the need for training in ministry (either in the local church or in schools) and personal submission to the Spirit of God? Are you able to "listen to the Spirit's voice" in your own life? Why would this ability be so important in being a competent minister? http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1080

First of all, a person should have been called by God and sanctioned by the Holy Spirit in the person’s heart that this is indeed His call and will.  If that has occurred, then the person will confident that he has been called to ministry.  With fruits of the Spirit and gifts God has bestowed on the person and the anointment of the Holy Spirit, plus formal training and the certification of the church, the person would be confident to work in His ministry to nurture and encourage others toward more maturity in their walk with the LORD and/or helping someone find this relationship with the LORD for the very first time.

The combination of the spiritual combined with the formal training, the person would have a “dynamic work ethic” for the LORD.  This of course is pre-empted by the person making a personal commitment to the LORD for the above and the willingness to partner with the LORD for effective ministry for Him by allowing God to working in them by the involvement of the Holy Spirit.

• 3 weeks later...

Lesson 3.3

Paul as he wrote these words (3.4-6) was thinking of himself and his own situtation, however they apply equally well to all ages. No doubt there is a link between competent training and guidance by the Holy Spirit. There is little doubt that compotent training has been an important waspect in church leadership. Luther, Calvin and Wesley were all competently and certainly gave a good account of themselves for God. However these three had a burning of the heart which was caused by the Holy Spirit and this lead them forward to great heights. We do not have in our midst, however the likes of these three much of the time but need to rely upon competently trained leaders. Both we and these leaders need to pray often and devoutly for the guidance of the spirit. The notes say it competently “We can have the best training that seminaries can provide, we can have powerful spiritual gifts, we can have great personal charisma, we can have a dynamic work ethic. But none of this by itself will produce spiritual fruit that remains. Only coupled with submission to the dynamic Spirit of God will we see fruit that remains – and that is the purpose of ministry, whether ordained or lay ministry. No one, ordained or lay , can effectively bear the burden of proclaim ing God's gospel that aroma that leads to live in the spirit and leads to a new life in jesus. Only god can equip a person for that job.

To a degree I hear the voice of the Spirit.

If a minister or lay person does not hear the 'voice' than their is the fear and the ever real possibility of turning a ministry into a person's ministry instead of the ministry of Christ and the Gospel.

• 7 months later...

The balance between training in a ministry and personal submission to the spirit of God is very important. We learn to interpret the word of God, know exactly what God is saying and be able to explain it to others. This must be coupled with the Holy Spirit who is to help us in our ministry to others, to keep us on track so as not to lead others in misunderstanding the scriptures.

Listening to the Holy Spirit in my life must be done in quite prayer and knowing if it is my own thoughts or that of the Spirit of God. Prayer time is the best part of sharing oneself with the Creator.

This ability to listen to the Holy Spirit is very important in making a minister competent. I always thought that people I have known in my life that are great getting along with all sorts of people and had the gift of "gab" as I call it, who are relatively intelligent and can talk the horns off a goat and convince the goat that he never needed the horns anyway. These people who normally do no have the Spirit of God, usually end up being politicians. But, a person of that sort who is well trained and competent and lead by the Holy Spirit  can make a great minister or evangelist. For my self, I'm sort of an introvert, shy with no known gifts of the spirit. I still struggle in many areas and situations, however, prayer is my greatest relief and learning time in my life.   

• 8 years later...

Back in the day ... when Yale and Harvard were seminaries, a young man would attend these universities while living in the home of a local, established and older minister. Thus, as he studied, he was personally guided and watched over by the minister with whom he lived. I believe that several young men would often be trained in the home of a local minister at the same time, perhaps three or four.

I think this is ideal. The correct balance.

Practical experience in a church setting, opportunities to preach, administer and serve, advice from an older and wiser minister, guidance and direction from that same minister, a group of peers with whom much can be shared and strong friendships forged ... while, at the same time, rigorous language, theological and biblical study -- how I wish this were available when I was young!

--

Having been given all this, however, a young man in training will never contribute to the Kingdom unless God Himself selects and blesses his efforts. This means that the ministerial candidate has to be open and submissive to God's gentle hand of training and correction as well as have a personal, deep and growing relationship with God, one that lasts a lifetime.