JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Ministry Ethics

How do questionable ethics and ministry practices hurt the work of Christ? What is Paul’s alternative in verse 2b?

1) Questionable ethics and ministry practices hurt the work of Christ by distorting the truth just to please his audience. Eventually, people will see thru the falseness and could possibly loose their faith.

2) Paul's alternative in verse 2b is to be clear, open, and honest in communication. Trust the Holy Spirit to speak to their consciences.

When the truth is observed by the unbeliever, he can follow it, but when the truth is tainted with error the unbeliever is persuaded to follow that which is false and it leads to death. As Paul spoke in words plain and simple, the people could see that what he talked about had great value. So we today must speak the truth all the time, to persuade people to follow the truth.

WHEN A PASTOR OR CHURCH LEADER STANDS BEHIND A PULPIT, GODS WORD SHOULD BE THE ONLY THING FOCUSED ON.

I AM NOT IN MY CHURCH BECAUSE THE PASTOR BRINGS UP MONEY, HIS WAY OR NO WAY. HE HAS REVEALED PRIVATE

COVERSATIONS WITH MEMBERS. DOES HE NOT REALIZES THAT GOD HEARS EVEY WORD?.THE ONLY THING BEHIND A PULPIT

COMING FROM A PASTOR OR LEADER IN THE CHURCH SHOULD BE LIKE PAUL THE TRUE WORD AND OPINIONS LEFT OUT

WHEN YOU TELL PEOPLE ABOUT CHRIST, BE CAREFUL NOT TO DISTORT THE MESSAGE. PROCLAIM THE TRUTH OF GODS WORD ONLY.

How do questionable ethics and ministry practices hurt the work of Christ?

Questionable ethics and ministry practices hurt the work of Christ by destroying the authenticity of Christianity. For Christianity to be effective, it must be authentic and transparent. We must understand that we live in an age where everything around us is the anithesis of Christianity. Already it is difficult to "sell" Christianity because our believes and practices are so peculiar. When we have ministers of the gospel who even appear to be questionable in some detail in their life it hurts the Church because the world is just waiting. Satan is always waiting to point an accusing finger at the children of God and turn the world against them. This damages the witness of that particular individual and the entire church of Jesus Christ suffers as a result.

What is Paul’s alternative in verse 2b?

Paul's alternative is to set forth the truth plainly before men and God. In other words be true to God and transparent to men. The truth of the gospel should easily be heard in our words and seen in our actions. This will help the work of Christ and not bring shame to ourselves or to our God.

We are ambassadors of Christ to the world. When Christians are caught doing unethical things in their personal lives or in their ministries, the world judges them and the Christain faith which directly reflects on Christ. Paul's alternative is to be completely truthful in absolutely everything.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 4:1-2) How do questionable ethics and ministry practices hurt the work of Christ?

One day I went forward to experience being slain in the Spirit, I was not seeking an experience, I was seeking after truth, and I must say "truth" felt like a whisper of a feather that sent me backwards, it was a wonderful experience, but even more wonderful, is experiencing the sweet whisper of the Holy Spirit over my life, not in the past, but day by day.

It is very sad, but there are many questionable teachings and questionable practices that distort the working of the Holy Spirit, I am so glad that, that day, was not of an questionable ministry, I can understand why God tells us to test the spirits, Satan is out to deceive and distort the "truth", the working of Christ, but they that do so, will give an account to God, Christ reminds us, (Heb 10:31) It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

What is Paul's alternative in verse 2b?

Paul being a Pharisee studied the Scriptures and I wonder if he was thinking of (1Sa 12:24-25) Only fear the LORD, and serve him in "truth" with all your heart: for consider how great things he hath done for you. But if ye shall still do wickedly, ye shall be consumed. :huh:

Questionable ethics and ministry practices hurt Christ's work in that many see these types of practices and think lowly of Christianity. There is nothing more vulnerable than a person looking for answers and finding trickery and deceit.

Paul tells us to turn away from secret and shameful ways. If we use no trickery and do not change the teaching of God, speak plainly, then others will see what kind of people we are.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 4:1-2) How do questionable ethics and ministry practices hurt the work of Christ? What is Paul’s alternative in verse 2b?

God in His mercy has given us thi wonderful ministry; we never give up. We reject all shameful and underhanded methods. We do not try to trick anyone, and we do not distort the Word of God. We tell the truth before God, and all who are honest know that.

Q1. How do questionable ethics and ministry practices hurt the work of Christ?

A lot of People are influence by what they see, by the actions / behaviors of others, they are as well influenced by what others say. Questionable ethics and ministry practices questions the authenticity, especially to those whom oppose Christ. Unfortunately to those who do not seek to see beyond the people who say they are Christians it can quench the drawing of the Spirit. For those within the fellowship because these practices distort the truth it can lead Believers not only from a church but also from the Church. These practices hurt the work of Christ because they are perverted influencer, yet God allows these practices. Perhaps because He gives the freedom of choice, perhaps it is a weeding out measure, I'm not sure of either the previous statements. What I am sure of is that His perfect Will will be accomplished. That when judgment does come it will began in the house; that many are call but few are chosen; that many will say Lord didn't I and he will say depart from me I knew you not.

Paul and those with him determined to present the truth, he preached a gospel of integrity and made his appeal directly to the human conscience, that monitor which God has given to all men. "Commending ourselves to every man's conscience", anyone could look at Paul's gospel and his ministry, judge it by their own conscience, and see that it was full of integrity. They could question Paul's words or his behavior and they would find that it aligned with what he said according to the Word.

I believe that Paul's desire was not only that man's conscience would find he was faithful but also that it was far more important to know that what he did was right in the sight of God as he witnessed of God.

The way that questionable ethics and ministry practices hurt the work of Christ is that when that person is found out he will not be trusted again. People who do not believe we think that all the preaching is deceptive and will not come to repentance.

Paul’s alternative to verse 2b is to tell the truth plainly.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 4:1-2) How do questionable ethics and ministry practices hurt the work of Christ? What is Paul’s alternative in verse 2b?

Questionable ethics and ministry practices hurt the work of Christ by misleading believers. Paul's alternative is to speak the truth without embellishment and let every man's conscience be convicted or edified by the Word.

Poor practices in ministry bring into question not just the people involved, but also work to obscure the message. If the minister does not reflect God, then people will not have time for the message he / she wants to bring. Such practices become a barrier to faith. The minister needs to reflect the message and the Author of the message. Paul’s alternative is to be open and honest in the presentation of the message. Let the message speak for itself, it does not need additional packaging to “sell” it, as the danger is the packaging will distort and obscure the message. For example, ministers who focus on getting people to give money even for the sake of the gospel, give the impression that money is more important than God’s faithfulness in providing. And all ministries, regardless of their specific practices, should give an open and full statement annually of all monies that pass through their hands.

Ministries should also be careful not to overemphasize aspects of doctrine that have particular appeal to them, as in this way the word of God can be distorted. They also need to be careful not to emotionally manipulate people but to rely on God’s Spirit. One of the shameful ways that reflects on the gospel is when ministers focus on statistics, rather than humbly being grateful that God is allowing them to partner in his work.

• 2 weeks later...

Questionable ethics and ministry practices hurt the work of Christ by taking the focus off Christ and turning people away from the church.

Paul's alterative in verse 2b is to renounce secret and shameful ways; not ot use deception nor distort scriptures. Instead we are to set forth the truth of the gospel plainly to nonbelievers.

How do questionable ethics and ministry practices hurt the work of Christ?

Questionable ethics and ministry practices hurt the work of Christ by causing the authenticity of our faith to be doubtful.It must be authentic and transparent or else it will discourage other to the Jesus our Lord..

Let live in full light of truth and try to commence ourselves to everyone's conscience.

• 8 months later...

5a)False actions &words of ministers in secret or otherwise,that deceive, distort truth, shame people, manipulate people is wrong &sinful,puffs up speaker but harms people &leads people away from truth. B)Paul in contrast,uses clear,open, honest,sincere communication trusting the Spirit to speak to their consciences,to convicting them when &where needed.

• 1 year later...

Fraud and deceit are not of God.  When people perceive misdirection and phoniness they don't see God's work but human trickery.  This doesn't glorify God; present a genuine witness, or lead people into a saving relationship with God in Jesus.  People are turned off by more phonies looking for easy money and gain.

Christians are to minister and spread the gospel through truth and the love of Jesus Christ.  Through honest means not worldly means.

Fraud and deceit are not of God.  When people perceive misdirection and phoniness they don't see God's work but human trickery.  This doesn't glorify God; present a genuine witness, or lead people into a saving relationship with God in Jesus.  People are turned off by more phonies looking for easy money and gain.

Christians are to minister and spread the gospel through truth and the love of Jesus Christ.  Through honest means not worldly means.

• 11 months later...

Q1. (2 Corinthians 4:1-2) How do questionable ethics and ministry practices hurt the work of Christ? What is Paul's alternative in verse 2b?
http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1086

If we proclaim that we are Christians, that is to say, that we are followers of the LORD Jesus and following Him means that we also represent Him in what we do, say, and proclaim, then if we do the opposite, then our ethics are jeopardized and the “world” that closely watches for us to “mess” up has another valid point against us.  I agree it is shameful, deceptive and certainly distorts The Message. 

Paul suggests that in order for the Word to not get diluted before the world that we are to be true and valid spokespersons for and representatives of the LORD.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (2 Corinthians 4:1-2) How do questionable ethics and ministry practices hurt the work of Christ? What is Paul's alternative in verse 2b?

When I  attended the University of New Brunswick in the early 1960's  the written emblem on top  of the gymnasium door read:

When that great scorer comes 

To mark against your name

He marks not whether you won or lost

But how you played the game.

(from the poem "Alumnus Football" by Grantland Rice)

This poem came to mind as I read the notes for the lesson. It has been a code by which I have lived for the last 55 years.

Paul writes : "We have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God" (4.2) Here Paul sets forth the standard that he has set for his ministry- yet he still had misunderstandings and lots of follow up problems. If we in our ministries do not follow the same standard as does Paul, we also will likely have problems. The old saying 'you can't please everybody ' is true, especially when Satan is around. Questionable ethics and practices are simply going to make matters. God, our God is a God of truth and justice. Psalm 32.4 "...His work is perfect; for all`His ways are justice...`.If this is our God as the Psalmist quotes then how can we honestly represent him with questionable ethics and ministry practices. It will not work our ministry will be false and at some point there will be a time when the dirt hits the fan. Our ministry needs to be grounded in good ethics and practices  and based upon the theme that `Jesus is Lord.

by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God 4.2b

Paul`s alternative seems to be to lie and misrepresent the situation. But this never really works.

• 7 months later...

Questionable ethics and ministry practices hurt the work of Christ because we are trying to manipulate people for our own purpose and not that of Christ or His Holy Spirit.

Paul's alternative to deceiving people by human works, he sets forth the truth plainly so that all men will know they are teaching God's truth not their own, thus they stand commended before all men. 

• 8 years later...

Pastors and leaders may be tempted to "enhance" their spiritual "creds" by appearing more strong in the spirit than they are. Pastor Ralph's story about the man gently pushing congregants makes sense in this regard.

Fundraising is another area in which pastors want to appear superhuman and are tempted to cut corners.

Most often, though, are nasty interpersonal relationships in which pastors are involved. The factioning of a congregation may help a pastor temporarily by giving him the backing he needs to get some policy or program pushed through, but choosing sides always backfires in the end.

My old congregation split into three after the pastor's tepid reaction to Covid. Two of the more spiritually strong factions left, ones he had carefully pushed to the side in church decisions. Now he has a rump group of people who are not spiritually mature. The backbiting is nastier than ever. Had he not be partial to some people at the beginning, this would not have happened.

It's best in life and Christian work to follow this maxim: "Obey God and leave the consequences to Him." It's a quote from a Southern Baptist minister in Atlanta. Just recently I quoted it to myself, and still am.