JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Experience and Faith

What David's explanation to Saul about his combat experience says about David's faith is, just as God helped David to kill the lion and the bear, He will also help David in fighting Goliath.

David is very lethal as a warrior. He often would kill a lion or bear with his own hands. He was not afraid to go after and kill any predator that was endangering his father's sheep.

King Saul allows David to go out to battle Goliath because Goliath is demoralizing the Israelite troops. King Saul fears that if the taunting continues, the troops will begin to desert. He probably figured that doing something was better than doing nothing at this point.

I believe Saul had faith.

Saul's faith,at least in this point of his life,is in the living God. ^_^

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (1 Samuel 17:34-37) What does David’s explanation to Saul of his combat experience say about David’s faith? How lethal is David as a warrior? Why do you think Saul allows him to go out to battle Goliath? Does Saul have faith? If so, what is the source of it?

David's explaination to Saul of his experience speak volumnes about his faith. David is God's warrior and follows God and is indeed then a mighty warrior. Saul thought David was rediculous but had no one else who would do the job. Saul has no faith from God but allows satanall his power. He killed himself since he had no hope.

• 5 weeks later...

Q2. (1 Samuel 17:34-37) What does David’s explanation to Saul of his combat experience say about David’s faith? How lethal is David as a warrior? Why do you think Saul allows him to go out to battle Goliath? Does Saul have faith? If so, what is the source of it?

a) With David's strong faith of God he had protected his flock,now David knows his faith in God will protect him

from Goliath.

B) David was a lethal warrior because he knows his ability and strength fomes from God. It is God's

powerin David that would be fighting against Goliath, not David alone.

c) Goliath is demoralizing Saul's troups, King Saul knew the loss of one boy would affect his troups.

But the win of one boy over Goliath would be a hugh psychological advantage over the Philistines,

and should rally his toups to fight.

d) King Saul believed God was with David. I think King Saul was praying that David's faith in God

would be with him and see him to victory. If David should loose. then his troups would rally to

finght in David's honor, even Eliab his brother.

e) Saul had faith, but on seeing David's faith in God, Saul's faith in God began to strengthen.

• 4 weeks later...

It is true that David won the battle before he stepped in front of Goliath. It is his faith from how God prepared him for the moment before Saul and then Goliath. David lived in the present and killed lion and bear; it was God's will. David didn't hesitate to kill when he had to. We don't know how prayerful David was before going to save the sheep from the lion or bear. He was just doing his job. God was surely with him. His faith was natural; and his anger at Goliath was genuine for defiling his God and God's people

Since this bible story is about God's will being done in the world by God's chosen people, it is one example of many where people who were of strong faith were given tasks to do by God and then executed them in a faithful manner. This story is not about judging with worldly values.

This story is not a challenge to be like David; it is about referring to the bible and confirming God will find a way for us, no matter what. Such a strong faith can only be built by learning to be obedient to God's word/laws and hearing Him and then following God's will as it unfolds in front of us. Its easy and its hard, it only come by trust and experience in how he delivers us. God is the source of this growth in faith; let us be strong and courageous and follow him. This I pray in Jesus name, for all men who read this.

• 3 weeks later...

David's explanation to Saul about his previous experiences doesn't imply he has less faith because he could have just told Saul to let him go fight without having to tell him what he has done in the past. This simply shows us that David knows that human beings don't have much faith and need some form of proof as assurance!

David is very lethal as a warrior because he is not just an experienced warrior, or one who has won many battles, but he is a warrior who has Faith in God and knows that all battles are the Lord's. So he is the most lethal of all warriors.

Saul allows him to go out because he understands the magnitude of David's faith. If he could have faith to be able to kill a lion and a bear, he certainly could kill this giant Philistine.

Saul does to an extent have faith, but the source of it is ambiguous. Whether he let David go fight because he was able to kill a lion and a bear, or maybe Saul just plainly had faith that the Lord will protect his chosen one, can be contested.

• 1 month later...

2a)David showed he was fearless & had confidence in God to protect him when he fought off and killed lions &bears that attacked the flock he was shepherding.

b)David chased any predators to the death, so wasn’t afraid of spilling bloodHe was lethal.

c)Saul knew,the psychological advantage the Israelities would have,if David a boy defeated the giant,&he knew Goliath’s taunts were already demoralising the Israelite troops,to weaken their prospect of victory.

d)The Spirit came on Saul at his annointing&God helped Saul to defeat the Amalekites 1Samuel 15. He seen the difference God made in his life. Despite God withdrawing his support for Saul he still credited his victories to God. When he met David his strong faith, boosted Saul’s dormant faith.

e) Source same Yahweh as David

• 7 months later...

Q2. (1 Samuel 17:34-37)

What does David's explanation to Saul of his combat experience say about David's faith?

David wisely credited God from delivering him from the lion and bear and concluded God will do it again.

How lethal is David as a warrior?

He is very lethal, however, he does not look that way from the outside because he so young.

Why do you think Saul allows him to go out to battle Goliath?

Saul is being clever. On one hand, if David can defeat Goliath, Saul will have achieved a tremendous psychological advantage. On the other hand, if David loses, he wouldn't have lost anything because no one would expect a mere boy to defeat Goliath.

Does Saul have faith? Yes

If so, what is the source of it? Samuel & Saul' past experience with God

• 11 months later...

Saul can see that David has more faith than he does and feels like God is truly with him and if this is true he knows that there will be nothing that can stand against David and win.

Saul lets David go on out to battle because it is all he has David is the only one who has come forward to take the challenge.

The time is near that his Army will have to fight and since everyone is so scared the battle will be lost.

Having such a corageous young man show so much faith and strength encourages Saul to have more faith also.

Saul has faith but it is weak he feels like the chance of David winning is possible but he takes precautions incase David is killed.

• 2 months later...

(1 Samuel 17:34-37) What does David's explanation to Saul of his combat experience say about David's faith? How lethal is David as a warrior? Why do you think Saul allows him to go out to battle Goliath? Does Saul have faith? If so, what is the source of it?

David has seen how God gives him the ability to do difficult physical challenges and it gives him confidence for what's ahead.

Ps. 18: 32-34: 

It is God who arms me with strength
    and keeps my way secure.
33 He makes my feet like the feet of a deer;
    he causes me to stand on the heights.
34 He trains my hands for battle;
    my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
35 You make your saving help my shield,
    and your right hand sustains me;
    your help has made me great.

This makes him a dangerous foe, so when David describes to Saul what he was able to do to the bear and lion, Saul feels hopeful that David can help fight against the Philistines.  It appears that Saul has a limited faith in God, which started as a young man chosen to lead Israel, but his own ego gets in the way.

• 2 months later...

Does Saul have faith? If so, what is the source of it?          

In reading the text, I am not convinced that Saul had faith. I think that at this point Saul was desperate and had nothing to lose. Allowing David to fight was his only option and David was certainly convinced of his ability to win the battle. Why stop him? I don't think Saul's decision to assist David is any indication of his faith in God.

David's strength as a warrior comes from being fearless. Courage and determination can take you a long way, but at faith in God and you are sure to succeed. I am blessed by David when he said "The same God who did it before will do it again!"

• 7 months later...

David explains to King Saul that he has been in combat with bears & lions when they attacted his flock, He chased after the preditors & rescues the sheep from the jaws, showing David is fearless.

Saul allows David to do battle & is staking the intire battle on David, as the Israelite troops are quite demorolized by Goliaths taunts.

Saul believes David has a chance of winning against Goliath, He ahs Faith in David, as David has inspired the king in spiritual faith & pointed the king toward the power of God Yahweh.

• 1 year later...

David completely and fully relied on God in all his situations and believed that God would deliver him in all instances.

David is very lethal...because he has God fighting for him.  God is on his side and you don't lose like that.

Saul needs someone to take out/on Goliath.  David proved himself worthy in his explanations of his battles as a shepherd.

Saul has faith in God, David reassured that God was real and could handle the battle.  That type of faith, when seen like that, is hard to turn away from.

Saul's source of faith, at this time, was David's witness to the Lord.  Who could help but have faith after listening to what God has done in David's young life so far.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

What does David's explanation to Saul of his combat experience say about David's faith? How lethal is David as a warrior? Why do you think Saul allows him to go out to battle Goliath? Does Saul have faith? If so, what is the source of it?

That he puts God first over his personal decisions\benefits.

He is stealth enough to maintain a hiding place and that he can be in the same room as you and you have no idea of his presence.

Saul still recognizes that Goliath's daily taunt is discouraging his men. When he sends David out for the battle, I do not feel like he is going to hold true to the agreement "If I win, you are my slaves and if you win, we will be yours"...as neither party (Philistines or Israelite's) keep those words as they continue to war and go into eachothers territories on multiple occasions. I think he sends him out w/ no expectation.

I think faith for these men are completely different as they have will interactions w/ God and they have prophets and priest around to go directly to God and get answers, plus their families generations\lineage does not go back that far from first hand encounters w/ God and his demonstration of power. So to me it is not a question of faith as much as Saul is thinking what is God going to do next. 

• 1 month later...

wow what a question!

To begin with David truly thinks of himself as a part of the "armies of the  living God". That confidence right there is shown in his boldness of speech.

Davis is fearless and in that stance he becomes formidable as the agent of Yaweh.  I believe that the courage of David's conviction is contagious and inspires Saul to allow him to fight. If Saul has any faith now it is in the ferociousness of David.

• 7 months later...

1.David's explanation  to Sailof his combat experience

His explanation shows him as mannif faith who trust do much in God, shown in his explanation  to Ssul how ge has lion and the bear and believed that God will deliver him from Goliath.

2.How lethal is David as warrior?

He has killed a bear and lion before , therefore is capable to Goliath

3.Why Saul allowed him to go to the battle.

4. He had faith in David ,that he will kill Goliath after he has heard his testimony  

5.Does Saul have faith.

Yes he does 

6.He had seen God delivering people of Israel,  and has faith He will do the same with David

1.What does David's explanation to Saul say about David's faith , He was a man of faith who put all his trust in God  , also believe that God will be with him

2. How lethal is David as a warrior? David was strong and courageous , he killed lion and bear

3.Why do you think Saul allows  him to go to battle with Goliath?He had belief in him that he will conquer Goliath

4.Does Saul has faith?Yes he does

5.If so what is source  of it.From God , he believed that God will be with Davjd on the battle  with Goliath (17:37)

• 2 years later...

Q2. (1 Samuel 17:34-37)

What does David's explanation to Saul of his combat experience say about David's faith?

David's faith was genuine. The lion and the bear had come to devour the flock that was under his protection, so he relied on God to help him perform his duty.  

How lethal is David as a warrior?

David did not run away from danger but faced it head-on and used what he had on hand. he stood his ground and made sure the enemy was dealt with to no longer be a threat.

Why do you think Saul allows him to go out to battle Goliath?

Saul recognized that the Spirit of the Lord was on David and was motivating his bravery.  He knew something had to be done and soon before his men turned away and deflected from duty.  Goliath's taunts were affecting his men negatively.  

Does Saul have faith? If so, what is the source of it?

David's enthusiasm awakens a flicker of faith in God yet again.  I am sure he does believe that David will be victorious, with the help of the Lord.  Just, he does not quite know how.  Someone needs to take the first step, for the people to go on into battle.  

If men wrong us, God will right us. David had confidence and faith in God. Was  a fierce, dedicated  warrior. He would exert the necessary violence to expand and maintain his empire, and yet had a deep sense of fairness, honor, and compassion, uncharacteristic of his time.

King Saul offered his daughter in marriage to whoever coug kill Goliath and he also offered to free the family of who ever killed Goliath
Saul knew God was with David that he would watch over hm

Yes Saul had faith,

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q2. Experience and Faith