JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. (1 Samuel 16:14-23) From Saul’s perspective, why is David summoned to court? From God’s perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul’s court? What things tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of the circumstances in which we find ourselves? What might make us more teachable?

a. To play music for Saul to ease his troubled spirit,

b. God wants David in Sauls court in order to be exposed to the governing of the king, and to learn leadership.

c. We have problems trusting that God knows what is best for us and since we don't understand ot listen

to God, we go our own way.

d. We have to trust in God and know that he knows what he is doing in our llife.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wub: Daivd was summoned to the court to be a musican and general equipment bearer.

The service was because when daivid would play for saul the evil spirit leave.

The thing that bother use is we will not listen and do want God tell us to do to avoid the

evil from use.We will be more teachable if we listen .

• 2 months later...

David was recommended to Saul for his musical ability singing&playing to calm him,& he was summoned to became court musician &general equipment bearer when not playing.

b)God wanted him to experience the intricasies of governing &leadership from the nations leaders, as preparation like an apprenticeship for his future role of King of Israel.

c)If we have self-conceived judgements these can interfere with God speaking to us.If we put these aside. ask God what shall I learn through situation & seek to be obedient to him, trust Him,listen carefully for his voice speaking to us through Holy Spirit bringing scripture alive as we read, and be ready as he prompts,directs, convicts,guides, prepares,empowers, equips and teaches us.We will allow Him to work in us &teach us more.

• 7 months later...

Q4. (1 Samuel 16:14-23) From Saul's perspective, why is David summoned to court? To help Saul from his torment.

From God's perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul's court? God put David in Saul’s presence and in his service to help David prepare to be king by introducing David to the current King.

What things tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of the circumstances in which we find ourselves? When we are pre-occupied with our agenda.

What might make us more teachable?  To be more open minded, to listen to God more.

Q4. (1 Samuel 16:14-23) From Saul's perspective, why is David summoned to court? To help Saul from his torment.

From God's perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul's court? God put David in Saul’s presence and in his service to help David prepare to be king by introducing David to the current King.

What things tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of the circumstances in which we find ourselves? When we are pre-occupied with our agenda.

What might make us more teachable?  To be more open minded, to listen to God more.

• 9 months later...

From Saul’s perspective David is the court to play music to help calm him down when under attack from the evil spirit.

God wants David in Saul's court to learn leadership from the current leader also he learns patience and humility, I believe it also serves to test David’s character because even though he has been anointed as king he serves diligently under Saul.

Some of the things that tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of the circumstances in which we find ourselves are refusing to fully submit to God and His will and a lack of trust in God and in His love for us. If we fully submit to Him He will lead and protect us but first we have to fully trust that He cares for and loves us.

We can be more teachable if we submit to God more and are willing to be led by Him as opposed to doing our own things.

• 2 months later...

Sauls perspective of David being summoned to court was to play the harp to releive him of the tormenting evil spirit.  But then Saul begins to like David and keeps him as a officer who carries armor.

Gods perspective for the reason for David to be there could be many different things, to learn from Saul, to see first hand how much responsabilities there are for the King, to be a servant so he will know what it is like to serve and how to treat people who will serve him in the future when he becomes King.

Things that prevent me from learning from God is stubborness,

To be more teachable I need to rid myself of self and open my mind to His teachings

• 2 months later...

(1 Samuel 16:14-23) From Saul's perspective, why is David summoned to court? From God's perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul's court? What things tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of the circumstances in which we find ourselves? What might make us more teachable?

Saul selfishly thinks David's only purpose in life is to serve him, but God undoubedly has a different plan for Saul and David.  Like Saul, we can easily miss out on God's guidance when we choose to handle tasks and problems without seeking Him first. I think we become more teachable when we daily put aside our own desires for His.and we keeps our eyes open for how He is leading us.

• 1 month later...

Saul believes that David has been summoned to become a court musician. God had other plans. God used this time to grow David and prepare Him for leadership. He studied under the king before he assumed the position. David also had the opportunity to make some divine connections, especially with Johnathan. 

Often times we don't understand why God places us where He places us or why. It can seem like a minor change but sometimes these are major set-ups.

In order to be more teachable, we must work to fully rely on God. This does not come natural for Christians because we have a desire to understand everything. Relying on God comes through prayer, fasting, and studying the word of God. Look at what He has done before and recognize that He is the God who does not change. He is faithful to never leave us nor forsake us. God help us to rely on you even when we don't understand what you're doing. In Jesus name!

• 4 weeks later...

Saul's perspective: To sooth him when he is tormented by the evil spirit

God's perspective: To prepare David for the task that he has been called to

Things that prevent: Our own evil desires, jealousy, hatred. greed and our inability to follow God's commands, therefore our rebellion

Things that might make us more teachable: Prayer, reading the word, mediating on His word and spending time in His presence. 

• 2 years later...

To play the harp to relieve Saul of the evil spirits that torment him

It seems that God wants David to see the inner workings of the kingdom...that he will eventually be in charge of.

We are to busy trying to figure it out ourselves rather that sitting, listening and learning.  Being still.

A quiet time...peaceful time with God so we can discern His voice above the madness.

• 1 month later...

From Saul’s perspective, David summoned to court to relieve him of the stresses and anxiety that he experienced. When David played his harp Saul's evil spirits went away for a time. From God’s perspective, David was there to learn the nuts and bolts of the court for the time he would be  the king.

• 1 year later...

For Saul, David was only there to serve him. For God's divine purpose David was there for many things. He was there to learn what it means to be a leader through serving; he was there to learn the protocols of leading a kingdom; he was there to gain favor from those with whom he connected which God would use; he was there to learn humility. I also think this was God's way of probably  reminding David of His promise to him. Paul writes Timothy as encouragement to use the prophecies spoken over him in order to fight the warfare against him. It's easy to look at some of our circumstances leading us to think we either heard incorrectly, need to help God speed things up, and/or need to move which all takes us out of position for what God has for us. 

We, as humans, struggle with using the seasons God has given us to learn because we often want to move too fast, want to circumvent processes and have unchecked pride. God is a good God, so He knows what areas need to be cultivated. Jesus says in John 15 that as we remain in Him, we will inevitably be "pruned". The pruning isn't fun but necessary. Some pruning takes more time than others, but God looks at the heart. Not only does He prepare our heart, but He prepares our minds with the practical know-how so we can be effective where He positions us. 

In Isaiah 66 God assures the people through correction that though they labor, delivery will come. Labor isn't fun and there are inconveniences/discomfort during the pregnancy. All of it is necessary for the baby to develop. As people, we don't like to wait, we don't like pain (or perceived pain) and we really don't like the process of change, though we often pray for change in some circumstance we face.

What helps us to become more teachable is to humble ourselves: to not think that we have all the answers or most for a certain situation. We can also ask the Holy Spirit, "What do You want me to learn here?" which brings me to the final point of not thinking it's all about us. We get caught up in these patterns most often because the focus is on ourselves and whatever goal/desire/accomplishment we have in mind.

• 3 months later...

Question 4 (1 Samuel 16:14-23) From Saul's perspective, why is David summoned to court? From God's perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul's court? What things tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of the circumstances in which we find ourselves? What might make us more teachable?

From Saul's perspective: to help him soothe his soul from the evil spirit that torment him also because David was well recommended and Saul was told that David had the "Lord with him"

From God's perspective : David was there in the court to learn the duties of a King. A training camp for David to know the heart of governing and the process of his calling to be the leader that he is anointed to be. 

We have the tendency to take matters in our own hand. We want to solve the problem ourselves rather than waiting on God to direct us. Also we get caught up the the everyday activities and forgot to ask God for our direction in our situations or circumstances. When we do not get His direction we will fail but when it is God's will all is good.

What makes us more teachable is a humble and a childlike spirit. We must be open to teaching and correction. This can come only with a repentant heart and a heart of humility.

Recognising that God is above all and the Spirit of the Lord is the teacher,I humble myself everyday to learn and be taught rather than believing in my strength

• 9 months later...

Q4. (1 Samuel 16:14-23) From Saul’s perspective, why is David summoned to court? From God’s perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul’s court? What things tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of the circumstances in which we find ourselves? What might make us more teachable?

Saul believes he is summoned for personal use- to calm him down when the tormenting spirit is aggravating him.

God wanted him to begin to be exposed to "palace life", and get used to the culture and way things work.

I think our minds create a huge mental block- putting in imagined (yet somehow very real to us) limits. Then our minds begin to mull over and over all logical answers -what is possible/not possible and work ourselves up before even trying to attempt tasks.

Being more familiar with promises that God has made to others and to us directly. For example, I have been holding on to 1 Chronicles 28:20, when they are discussing the plans to build Gods temple to "Don't be frightened by the size of the task, for the Lord my God is with you". So that way I have a reassurance to "try" first.

• 2 years later...

There is a very clear sequence of events to bible is able to show us that would not have been objectively understood at the time. The Lord often uses the ungodly for his will and purpose and as Saul was not seeking God he used Saul's very discomfort in all it's manifestations to be introduced to David who had already been anointed to replace Saul. 

I think our/my extremely simple, human and naïve understanding and willingness to surrender totally to the awesome power and love of God mean that we/I try and interpret our circumstances and what that might mean for God's plan and kingdom. I think it is only by listening/seeking to be obedient that makes me teachable. Left to my own devices and self I know nothing, nothing at all.    

• 3 months later...

Q4. (1 Samuel 16:14-23)

From Saul's perspective, why is David summoned to court?

I guess the bouts of mental illness or maladies make Saul incapable of living a normal life ever again.  Some times are worse than others, but it seems uncontrollable.  Recommendations are made that a skilled (harp-player) musician be brought so at these times some kind of relief is experienced by Saul. Music can bring calmness. It was suggested that David be brought as he was such a one.   David was a skilled musician as well as filled with the Spirit of God.  He would know what to play.  We do read that David was sent for, and (1 Sam 16:21) Saul loved him greatly.

From God's perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul's court? 

David would now be in court and learn how to and how not to deal with things in court (in the lime-light).  Humanly speaking he would gain experience for what was lying ahead in his life.  The general public would also get to know him.

What things tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of the circumstances in which we find ourselves?

When we do not open ourselves to Him and are unteachable and think we know it all.  This can be a big stumbling block in our lives and can cause desert experiences and wasted time.  I guess when our eyes finally open we do learn not to act so foolish again and hopefully learn from our mistakes.  

What might make us more teachable?

To let go and let God ................

• 1 month later...

Saul is focused on his relief (which is temporary). It seems to me that Saul is still focused on worldly solutions. Rather than crying out to God in true repentance and sorrow over the loss of relationship with God's Holy Spirit, Saul is desperate for temporary relief. 

From God's perspective, He is placing David in the court from which he will soon rule. David will be able to witness the functioning of the royal court. 

When we are focused on our selfish goals,  we miss God's bigger picture and plans. We remain teachable when we are seeking God first in all things. When we humble ourselves to loving God and seeking the heart of God, He will teach us His ways and help us follow in His path. 

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q4. God's Purposes