JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

(1 Samuel 16:14-23) From Saul’s perspective, why is David summoned to court?

When David take up his lyre and play. Then relief would come to Saul; he would feel better

From God’s perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul’s court?

Until God 's purpose being fulfilled in anyone's life He will never leave you, For Saul He has a purpose that was suppose to be fullfilled

What things tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of the circumstances in which we find ourselves?

We are holding on to the things of this world. everytime when God speak we dont act upon the word, so how can you face any challenge that is coming our way.

What might make us more teachable?

The more we hear the word and act upon it. the more we will be renewed in the likeness of our Master

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (1 Samuel 16:14-23) From Saul’s perspective, why is David summoned to court?

David is summoned to minister unto him with soothing music, in essence that which David did was nothing more than a therapeutic band aid. Not that I am against obtaining treatment that is authorized and or acceptable, however the cause of his trouble in my opinion was that he was bound and did not seek rest from the Healer, the Deliverer. Saul’s spirit was not right therefore he dealt with things in his own manner.

I am not a medical professional in mental health, nor in any manner, however mentally did he struggle.

From God’s perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul’s court?

I believe David was sent into fray so to speak for farther development, to become more rounded, to mature. As he lean upon the Lord he would grow spiritually, as he observed operations within the courts he would gain knowledge.

What things tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of the circumstances in which we find ourselves?

The same as did Peter, that circumstance that is before us. We want out, we don’t want to go through, we don’t like being in unfavorable situations.

Sometimes we place ourselves in unfortunate circumstance and there are times that God orchestrate them. Unfortunate or trying circumstance birth from our own volition derive from poor choices / bad decisions. Those situations orchestrated by God are for our development. From both we can learn, the important factor is that we extract the positive from the experience and when the opportunity presents itself we may be able to edify someone else.

Placing His Will before our (mine)! Staying at His feet! (Humility / meekness)

I like a quote from D.L. Moody The Scriptures were not given to increase our knowledge but to change our lives.

I share this not directing it towards anyone specifically, just as a general statement.

From Saul's perspective, David was summoned to play the music of the harp to soothe him.

From God's perspective, I think it was a way to get Saul to know David, and it was the beginning of the plan He had for David.

The things that keep me from learning from God in the midst of circumstances is leaning toward my own knoledge, understanding and wisdom in what I should do. And, I don't always ask Him..."we have not, because we ask not".

Being fully open to listening to God and asking Him in every circumstance what I should be learing from it.

1 Samuel 16:14-23

From Saul’s perspective, why is David summoned to court?The young man David soon proved to be both a blessing and a threat to his royal master, Saul. On the one hand, David was the only Israelite capable of delivering Saul from spiritual oppression and Israel from an intimidating Philistine giant.

From God’s perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul’s court?Saul’s tortured state was not an accident of nature, nor was it essentially a medical condition. It was a supernatural assault by a being sent at the Lord’s command, and it was brought on by Saul’s disobedience.

What things tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of the circumstances in which we find ourselves? Disobedience, and not taking the time to listen to that still small voice of the Holy Ghost that will always do things right.

.What makes us more teachable is to listen more than talking amd listen to the voice of the Holy ghost.

From Saul’s perspective, why is David summoned to court?The young man David soon proved to be both a blessing and a threat to his royal master, Saul. On the one hand, David was the only Israelite capable of delivering Saul from spiritual oppression and Israel from an intimidating Philistine giant.

From God’s perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul’s court?Saul’s tortured state was not an accident of nature, nor was it essentially a medical condition. It was a supernatural assault by a being sent at the Lord’s command, and it was brought on by Saul’s disobedience.

What things tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of the circumstances in which we find ourselves? Disobedience, and not taking the time to listen to that still small voice of the Holy Ghost that will always do things right.

.What makes us more teachable is to listen more than talking amd listen to the voice of the Holy ghost.

From Saul's perspective, why is David summoned to court? The spirit of the Lord had departed from Saul and God allowed an evil spirit to enter him. Saul became sad or depressed and he thought music would cheer him up. A servant of Saul said he knew a man to play well to comfort him. He then tells him about Jesse’s son David, and Saul requested for David to be brought to him. From God's perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul's court? I again agree with Dr. Wilson statement “to learn the art of leadership from that nation's leaders. It is a kind of apprenticeship for the future king of Israel.” God had already anointed David to be the next king, so He was preparing him for his future. He knew that David would be the one to go against Goliath and be the linage to the Son of God. What things tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of the circumstances in which we find ourselves? The thing I learn in this week lesson which are Listening and being obedient to what God is telling you to do in spite of what your circumstance may look like. What might make us more teachable? I need to study my bible more and be more humble towards instruction.

Like you quote by D.L. Moody :)

Q4. (1 Samuel 16:14-23) From Saul’s perspective, why is David summoned to court?

David is summoned to minister unto him with soothing music, in essence that which David did was nothing more than a therapeutic band aid. Not that I am against obtaining treatment that is authorized and or acceptable, however the cause of his trouble in my opinion was that he was bound and did not seek rest from the Healer, the Deliverer. Saul’s spirit was not right therefore he dealt with things in his own manner.

I am not a medical professional in mental health, nor in any manner, however mentally did he struggle.

I believe David was sent into fray so to speak for farther development, to become more rounded, to mature. As he lean upon the Lord he would grow spiritually, as he observed operations within the courts he would gain knowledge.

The same as did Peter, that circumstance that is before us. We want out, we don’t want to go through, we don’t like being in unfavorable situations.

Sometimes we place ourselves in unfortunate circumstance and there are times that God orchestrate them. Unfortunate or trying circumstance birth from our own volition derive from poor choices / bad decisions. Those situations orchestrated by God are for our development. From both we can learn, the important factor is that we extract the positive from the experience and when the opportunity presents itself we may be able to edify someone else.

Placing His Will before our (mine)! Staying at His feet! (Humility / meekness)

I like a quote from D.L. Moody The Scriptures were not given to increase our knowledge but to change our lives.

I share this not directing it towards anyone specifically, just as a general statement.

Like your quote by D.L. Moody

David’s musical ability was recommended to Saul to help soothe his torment. From God’s perspective, He was working out His plan to put David in position as king. We fail to learn from our circumstances because we believe life just “happens” instead of considering it all a part of God’s plan. It’s helpful for me to look back and recognize the “Hand of God” in past circumstances. This convinces me to live today believing God is using the events in my life to prepare me for the future. As a result, I try not to live “under the circumstances” but choose to live “through the circumstances.”

Quote from 'wjcargile'

"Things that pervent us fro learning from God in the midst of our circumstances in which we find ourselves are: We want to solve the circumstances ourselves rather than waiting on God to lead us through, he knows the end results."

I appreciate your comment above. It's always best to let God have His way with our circumstances. He has the long view and knows what we need. That's how James can encourage us to rejoice in trials - being assured that the end result is spiritual growth. (James 1:2)

-From Saul's perspective, why is David summoned to court?

The Holy Spirit had left Saul and an evil spirit entered him to make him miserable. And David, being a harp player, was asked to come to court to sooth Saul's spirit and make him feel better. Music touches the heart and can either make the heart feel better or worse.

-From God's perspective, what seems to be the reasons for this service in Saul's court?

This is a time when David could learn about the things that go on in the royal court. David was an outdoors man and it took an adjustment to be fitted for the royal courts.

-What things tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of the circumstances in which we find ourselves?

Situations that trouble us, sometimes end up with blaming God instead of ourselves. We must put our full trust in God at all times with every situation and take responsibility for decision in it.

-What might make us more teachable?

We can be more teachable by being humble and seeking God and to be filled with more of the Spirit of God. We do not know it all and we need to be true disciples.

From Saul's perspective, why is David summoned to court? King Saul was plaqued by fearful spells (maybe in modern times, this is known as depression). His servants recommended music to calm him down. One of the servants highly recommended David who could play the harp well.

From God's perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul's court? David looked after sheep and thus did not posess knowledge on royal etiquette, leadership and governing. His service in Saul's court was to provide him with the education and exposure he needed to rule the country in future.

What things tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of the circumstances in which we find ourselves? Disobedience, pride, arrogance, self-will and stubborness tend to prevent us from learning from God. Many of us feel we are capable of doing things ourselves and thus do not require to seek the counsel fo God. Sometimes we think that God's ways are ridiculous because they runs contrary to our human understanding.

What might make us more teachable? Sadly, when we come to a point of desperation and hopelessness. Its all about discipleship. As we grow as Christian, trusting and obedience gets easier once we have taken the first step.

From Saul's perspective David was summoned to become a court musician and general equipment-bearer when he wasn't singing.

From God's perspective the reasons he wanted David in the court so he could be exposed to the nuts and bolts of governing, to learn the art of leadership from the nation's leader.

Our persistent sin and disobedience tends to prevent us from God in the midst of the circumstances we find ourselves in.

When we have our hearts after God's heart makes us more teachable.

]

Q4. (1 Samuel 16:14-23) From Saul’s perspective, why is David summoned to court? To soothe him by playing the harp for him.

From God’s perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul’s court? to expose David to a leadership role, to richs, politics, and rulers from other nations. He must be transformed from a simple shepherd to a man able to converse with rulers and make many decisions concerning Gods people.

What things tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of the circumstances in which we find ourselves? Lack of time, noise, bustle and inattention

What might make us more teachable? Slow down. Listen for God, don't do all the talking (praying) but wait for Gods answer. Be more discedrning in choices.

From Saul’s perspective, the reason that David is summoned to court is to comfort him in his bad moods. From God’s perspective, David was summoned to court so that he could learn how to lead others.

I think the reason that the things that tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of circumstances in which we find ourselves is because we are focused on the circumstance instead of on God who is going to help us out of the situation. I think that prayer and talking to God about our situation would make us more teachable during these times.

Q4. (1 Samuel 16:14-23)

1.) From Saul’s perspective, why is David summoned to court?

David is summons because King Saul is greatly trouble, the Holy Spirit has left him(because of his disobedience) and he is filled with an unrelenting spirit of evil. It has been told to him that music soothes the soul. He is told about a wonderful young musician,David, son of Jesse, who does not only play beautiful music but is also blessed by God. This is the Kings opportunity (as he see it) to get closer to God ( and perhaps back in God's favor) while experiencing relief from the evil spirit that possess him.

2.) From God’s perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul’s court?

From God's perspective this gives opportunity to David to be in the Kings court. To learn the " ins and outs " of governing the people. To God, this is a fine opportunity for David to learn to lead, an apprenticeship of sorts. From Shepard boy to a God-fearing king!! It also provides David for an outlet to write his beautiful music. As a Shepard,David had very little time to create his music. I can't also help to think that in some way God also wanted to comfort Saul by sending David. God still loves Saul. He love all of His children. God is a compassionate God, though He took his Holy Spirit from Saul due to Saul's disobedient, he still loves Saul. This love for Saul plays out later through David. David loves Saul also, even after Saul tries to kill him on several occasions. David ( after he becomes king) also spares Saul's life on several occasions.

3.) What things tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of the circumstances in which we find ourselves?

I think some of the things that hold us back from experience and learning God's will is, pride ( we think we know it all, we do not want to surrender our will to God). Another thing which often stands in the way is we don't realize that God is authorship of everything in our lives.The Good and the BAD. Oftentimes we want to know WHY? God has a reason for everything He does. It is NOT for us to QUESTION our Creator we must rely, through faith alone on his will.

:

1 Corinthians 13-12

Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known ***(we as mere sinner, cannot know God's plan for us now,but when we are united, everything will become clear). Faith is sight unseen..we must rely on God's wisdom in good times and bad.

James 1-2-3 (NIV)

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds,

because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance

Romans 12:2

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.**** ( notice this verse says BE transformed, not transform ourselves). We must be transformed by the Holy Spirit in order to experience the renewing of our mind and God perfect will!

4.) What might make us more teachable?

We must open ourselves up ( tear down the defensive walls which hold our hearts hostage to sin) to the Holy Spirits teaching. Pray daily for the intervention of the Holy Spirit so we may be able to discern God's will!

Q4. (1 Samuel 16:14-23) From Saul’s perspective, why is David summoned to court? From God’s perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul’s court? What things tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of the circumstances in which we find ourselves? What might make us more teachable?

Saul probably wants to soothe himself with David's harp music. It is also a way to keep control of someone who he now percieves a threat.

David learned a lot about royal protocol from being in those surroundings.

Our own attitude.

Correct a bad attitude and adopt a teachable attitude.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Q4:1 David calledto help soothe the King to calm him when he was troubled by evil spirits.

2 God teaches us through our suffrring and hard times to call us back to Him.

3 Things tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of the cirvumstances in which we findourselves.

4 Trusting that God knows what is best for us. He knows what He is doing and what he has plan for us

From Saul's perspective, why is David summoned to court?

To provide a soothing environment for Saul so he would not be in such a manic state.

From God's perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul's court?

To expose David to the environment of being a King. The power, decision making, how easily others can betray him.

We are usually in a panic state when we are “in the midst of a circumstance”. We want things to be over with or solved quickly. We start to second think ourselves and God. Was God mad at this or that? Did God understand. If we have stopped and asked for forgiveness for our sin then asked God for help in correcting and wait for him toQ4. (1 Samuel 16:14-23)

From Saul's perspective, why is David summoned to court?

To provide a soothing environment for Saul so he would not be in such a manic state.

From God's perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul's court?

To expose David to the environment of being a King. The power, decision making, how easily others can betray him.

We are usually in a panic state when we are “in the midst of a circumstance”. We want things to be over with or solved quickly. We start to second think ourselves and God. Was God mad at this or that? Did God understand. If we have stopped and asked for forgiveness for our sin then asked God for help in correcting and wait for him to

He was summoned as a court musician. God was apprenticing him for the kingship. We won't learn from God if we are sinning, not spending time in the Word or prayer. Unfortunately, God's discipline does that very thing. When once disciplined we are more aware of our limitations.

• 2 weeks later...

Saul summons David to court because David's music on the harp seems to calm Saul's troubled spirit, at least for a little while.

What seems to be the reasons for David's service in Saul's court from God's perspective is, for David to be exposed to the nuts and bolts of governing. God wants David to learn the art of leadership from Israel's current leaders. In a way,this is kind of an apprenticeship for David.

The things that tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of circumstances in which we find ourselves are, our sin nature as well as having a bad or rebellious attitude.

What might make us more teachable is, accepting the fact that God allows circumstances to come into our lives for a reason. ^_^

Q4. (1 Samuel 16:14-23) From Saul’s perspective, why is David summoned to court? From God’s perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul’s court? What things tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of the circumstances in which we find ourselves? What might make us more teachable?

Because Saul was tormented because God's spirit left Saul for David. We can't learn from God in the midst of worldly noise..

• 2 weeks later...

David is summoned to court, because of the good recommendation that were given to Saul of David, It was too good of an opportunity to turn down. When I was reading the book of 1Samuel I asked myself the same question, why will God want David close to Saul?... And the answer that popped in my head was, that since David was anointed as king he had to learn the fundamentals of being a king. David was not only the harp player, but Saul's student in duties of a king 101.

I believe the worst obstacle that prevents us from learning from God is looking for advice in other sources where God has no part, and listening to our own "reasonable" statement on how we're going to resolve the issues. Many people just go ahead and resolve issues according to their secular knowledge instead of inquiring of God, and asking God Lord what do want me to learn while I go through this rough time?... Whatever it is Lord, let it be for your glory and honor! Although I don't understand what's going on I know that you're with me and that you will never leave me nor forsake me..

The only factor that can make us more teachable is experience, the experience that we have learned in our christian walk, what the scriptures have taught us, and of course the best teacher of all the Holy Spirit. What the Spirit has taught us, we can share with others that are going through similar circumstances.