JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (1 Thessalonians 1:10) What does verse 10 teach us about the Christian faith? Which of these elements are most important? Which are less important? Which are underemphasized by the church in our day?

Wait for Jesus, who God raised from the dead (the Resurrection)Jesus delivers us from the wrath to come (salvation). Honestly, they are all important. I think the church doesn't emphasize how we are to wait? The church I attend is very good in preaching the gospel and stresses the Resurrection and fortunately they do teach the soon coming of our Lord. I am blessed with a truly gifted, anointed minister. I would say the fellowship that I attend is like unto the church in Philadelphia from Revelation and it just so happens to be in the city of Philadelphia.

What does verse 10 teach us about the Christian faith?

Pastor Ralph gives a good description of verse 10.

and to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead -- Jesus, who rescues us from the coming wrath." (1:10)

In this one verse, Paul reminds the believers of five foundational truths which are at the core of the gospel.

1. Jesus Christ is God's Son.
  2. Jesus Christ will return.
  3. Jesus Christ has been raised from the dead.
  4. Jesus Christ is our Savior.
  5. God's wrath is coming upon sin.

Which of these elements are most important?

I would say that point 4 is not complete, Jesus Christ is our Lord and Saviour. Too many people see Jesus as their Saviour, but not as their Master, they don't submit to His authority, they still want to be in control of their relationship with God, they don't hand full control to God.

The 2nd point that is not stressed enough is point 5. When we do wrong, we are turning our backs on Christ, we can loose our salvation if we persist in sin. These days people are very focused on human rights, we think it is our right to do as we will, instead of seeking the will of God. We have to stay in the will of God if we want to receive from God. We have to stay obedient to God to be part of His plan.

All the other points are important as well, you cant ignore any of them

Which are less important?

They are all important.

Which are underemphasized by the church in our day?

As mentioned in the 1st part of the question, point 4 and 5. But the church must continue to teach all these points

Q4. (1 Thessalonians 1:10) What does verse 10 teach us about the Christian faith?

He has personally rescued and delivered us from the wrath and punishment which is coming upon the impenitent. And as we are not appointed unto wrath, we can look eagerly for His soon coming, with the joy we've experienced in having been invested with all the privileges and rewards of the new life in Christ! Even so, come Lord Jesus!!!!

I think HOW we look forward to Him coming is evidenced by whether we or not we are still in fear and guilt about sins and punishment. When we understand that on the cross when Jesus cried "It is finished", our sins were forgiven, past, present and future, and He personally suffered all of the wrath and punishment we deserved. We're free to live the abundant life He died to give us, in freedom and joy, because He gave us His righteousness when He was resurrected!!!

I think the whole verse is important....It's the gospel in one verse. Jesus died for sinners, took our punishment, gave us His righteousness which we didn't deserve, gave us the rewards of being His joint heir, rose from the dead and we can look forward to His soon coming, with joy, free from all fear to live eternally with Him in Heaven.

Many churches believe you can lose your salvation, so there is fear, and doubt and hesitation about His return. I seldom hear about His return, though I believe it is soon. I heard a radio minister say "Jesus is coming back for a church without spot or wrinkle, so He can't come back yet because the church is so full of sin". How sad that He doesn't believe Jesus' own words, that we are righteous NOW, because we are clothed with His righteousness!

Just a word about election and predestination....a pastor explained it to me this way and I love it!: The Father chooses everyone. We can choose to be chosen or not!

Q4. (1 Thessalonians 1:10) What does verse 10 teach us about the Christian faith? Which of these elements are most important? Which are less important? Which are underemphasized by the church in our day?

In verse 10 Paul reminds the believers of five foundational truths which are at the core of the gospel for the Christian faith. Of these elements the most important is the fact the Jesus Christ will return. Of these elements, today, the underemphasized is this same fact that Jesus Christ will return and that His return is imminent. At any moment Christ can return for His Bride, a Church that is spotless. Our lives must measure up to Christ's commandments for the Church.

Verse 10 teaches us that Jesus is God's son, and that He rose from the dead, He is our saviour and He will return again. It also reminds us of God's wrath against sin. That Jesus is our saviour is the most important element, as to believe that we accept all the teachings. I believe that God's wrath against sin has been undermined today, the fear of God is a good thing and shows respect and this is sorely lacking in the church today.

Q4. (1 Thessalonians 1:10)

- v10 teaches that JESUS 1) is the Son of God; 2) resurrected from death to life; 3) is our Savior, "the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world (John 1:29b); 4) will return, "coming on the clouds of the sky, with power and great glory. (Matthew 24:30b NIV84); and 5) God's wrath against sin will come.

I like this verse because it presents the gospel in a simple way for people to hear and pick out the main points.

- if i should pick one, the the truth that JESUS rose from the dead because this is the PROOF of God's saving work for all from sin and death. However, ALL points are important to convey the full message of the good news.

- truths about sin, death, salvation, life and JESUS' person are all important.

- the truth about wrath against sin. This has been downplayed by much emphasis on God's grace. I still believe that people should understand the gravity of sin that tips God's cup of wrath. Especially in our present time, wherein much "sin" is now accepted as normal parts of people's lives, and truths about holiness and righteousness have been suppressed and labeled as antiquated advocacies.

Q4. - 1Thessalonians 1:10 And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.

Christianity is sometimes seen by non-Christians as idolatry, making something less than God (Yahushua, a man) into God. Paul knew what idols were and how folks who worshipped idols worked. As Paul hints, The God of Israel is not a lifeless block of wood or made of stone. Paul knew that these folks for the most part had turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God. Now he was encouraging these folks to wait upon the LORD.

Paul gives proper perspective that Yahushua is God’s Son, as the Tanakh indicates in the following scriptures:

Isaiah 9: 5-6 For every battle of the warrior is with confused noise, and garments rolled in blood; but this shall be with burning and fuel of fire. For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Psalm 2:7 ¶ I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.

Proverbs 30:4 Who hath ascended up into heaven, or descended? who hath gathered the wind in his fists? who hath bound the waters in a garment? who hath established all the ends of the earth? what is his name, and what is his son's name, if thou canst tell?

Daniel 7:13 I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him.

This God who raised Yahushua from the dead is now seated at the right hand of the throne of God in all authority, interceding on our behalf. When He returns, He will receive us from the impending fury of God’s judgment and lead us into the Kingdom of God. This is our hope and this is the faith that we hold.

The waiting in faith, abiding until our last breath.

The wrath to come. The reason I say this is because He is not angry with His obedient children. He is angry at sin. Sin, as described in definition according to the scripture found in the New Testament is who ever does not yield to the law of God is one who is committing a violation against God and His law. No matter how we slice it or dice it, those who are walking without Torah are in violation of His law. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

1 John 3:4 ¶ Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

This is why people who throw out the law do not feel compelled to truly change their life style. Unless a statute makes a particular act illegal or punishable there is no violation and the act goes un-punished. Why? Because legalism is what produces the wrath of God. If one does not have the Torah as their guiding light and the Spirit of God to enhance that light, neither is there transgression. So people walk out their lives oblivious to the fact that they are in violation because they fell for the lies and the tactic of the enemy that says that the law has been done away with. They do not have the desire nor the inclination to change and walk wholly righteous before God. They are not convicted by the Spirit because they are not walking in the light to begin with.

In my belief, it is as I stated above. People have thrown out the law of God which seems kinda odd because Jesus Himself said that He didn’t come to do away with it or the prophets.

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.

If one throws out the law then they must also throw out the prophets according to that scripture spoken by Yahushua. And in that case, there is nothing to be waiting for because the prophets are the ones who first spoke of His return. Yahushua went on to say that not one single iota of the scriptures would pass from the law until heaven and earth has ceased to be and as far as I can tell, heaven and earth are still with-in our vision. He also said that who ever taught that the law was done away with would in no wise see the kingdom but that those who did teach that the law was still in effect would be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 5:17-19 ¶ Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

This may be why strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. Many, many folks are missing the target because they have fallen for the lies of the enemy who has worked behind the scenes of man saying that the law has been done away. But what does the Bible tell us?

Psalm 118:8 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.

Q4. (1 Thessalonians 1:10) What does verse 10 teach us about the Christian faith?

Verse 10 teaches me the Son of God is seated at the right hand of his Father, the God who sits upon the throne, and there the Son is interceding for us, and when he returns he will rescue us from the impeding fury of God's wrath.

Romans 1:18-19 for the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath showed it unto them.

For us to be saved we must first believe in Paul’s God, the God of Israel, and that Jesus is God's Son, and we must understand what that means, for Jesus is not just man, He is God's glory, He has always been.

God's wrath is yet to come and that the Messiah of Israel is coming for a FAITHFUL bride, a bride that is watching and waiting for his return, allowing the oil, the Holy Spirit to burn brightly in her life, for it is her righteousness seen - living a holy life .

We must heed the warning Christ gives to the "CHURCH", that he is NOT coming for those who are LUKEWARM, as a matter of fact he says he will spit them out.

It is not popular to point out that God is a God of wrath, people would rather quote that God is love, but God does hate SIN.

God delights in his mercy, not in actively pouring out wrath. But the moral laws of the universe are such that God’s anger goes on being revealed to those who go on disobeying him, and as I look around I see the signs of God’s wrath are soon to come.

Verse 10 teaches us that Jesus is the Son God and we can reach God only through jesus. Jesus Christ is returning soon. Jesus has been raised from the dead and that Jesus Christ is our saviour and died for us so that we may be saved and rescued from punishment.

Every truth in Verse 10 is equally important.

The return of Jesus is underemphasized by the church.

What a wonderful concise one-verse synopsis of the Gospel. I never caught that in reading it before! All we need in order to present the message of salvation is this paired with Romans 10:9 “...if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

In 1 Thess.1:10 we learn that

1) Jesus the Christ is the Son of God – the embodiment of God on earth

2) Jesus will return from heaven at some point – we are to be consciously awaiting that event

3) Jesus has been raised from death – by the power of God Himself; this validates who Jesus is and proves victory over death

4) Jesus is our Deliverer – we are in bondage that He can redeem us from

5) There is wrath to come – God’s full judgment of sin and rebellion is certain.

Most important? They are all so integrated that it’s hard to separate them. I guess because of Romans 10:9, I would choose 1) Jesus Christ is the Son of God and 3) Jesus has been raised from death.

Less important? None.

Underemphasized by the modern church?

2) Jesus IS coming - we don't maintain the hope (i.e. confident expectation) of His return with conscious awareness

4) The world needs a Deliverer/Savior/Redeemer - the concept of sin against the holiness of God is often watered down and covered over with platitudes and excuses

5) There is going to be a day of holy wrath - God has declared this and He is always true to His Word.

We must stand firm, be unshakable

• Which of these elements are most important?
  • Waiting for the coming of the Lord Jesus
  • Whom God raised from the dead
  • Who personally rescues and deliver us from the coming wrath
  • Draw us to Himself

NONE

• Wait for the coming of the Lord Jesus
  • Whom God raised from the dead
  • Jesus will draw us to Himself

thessalonians-top-300x64.gif

1. It teach us to wait upon the Lord some time we like to take matter in our own hand when we do we mess up

2. All important to me

3.None

4.The church of today like to do thing there way they forget God is and all ways will be in control

I agree that verse 10 articulates the gospel message very well.

I guess what it shows me is that Christ came and completed his work here on earth, gave us the Holy Spirit, and has given us the charge to take the message of Savation to a many people as possible until He returns.

I think the elements are all important and its hard to single out just one.

There are none less important than the others; but there is one that is very relevant to us as believers. That is that God's wrath is coming upon sin. As believers, we need to ready for Christ return; but we should also have a heightened awareness of the lost around us. To be in prayer for them and to actively share the good news of Jesus Christ with them. They are the object of God's wrath; the ones who have thus far rejected Jesus as Lord and Savior. The is a world out there in desperate need of the good new of Jesus Christ. We are the church, the body of Christ, and the ones to bring it to them.

The wrath to come and the Body of Christ's role needs to be spoken.

1. That we must wait for Jesus return. He is the Son of God, He will return, He has been raised from the dead, He is our Savior, and God's wrath is coming upon the sinner.

Which of these elements are most important? Which are less important? Which are underemphasized by the church in our day?

2. None are more important that the other. I think that the one that is underemphasized is God's wrath is coming upon the sinner. There is so much sin in the world today and I don't think many believe that Jesus is coming back again. It is not talked about enough in the churches of today. Many will not be prepared.

Q) What does verse 10 teach us about the Christian faith?

A) Verse 10 teaches us that Jesus the Christ is not only Gods Son and will return soon, but He also was risen from the dead, thus making him our Savior. It also teachs us that Gods rath is coming against sin.

Q) Which of these elements are most important?

A) Every one are equally as important because they are foundational truths which are at the core of the Gosple.

Q) Which are less important?

A) None

Q) Which are underemphasized by the church in our day?

A) Unfortunatlly I see that Gods rath is coming against sin is least spoken of and underephasized in the church today. I think that is because Pastors and teachers are afriad of losing members.

To wait for Jesus--He is coming and will rescue us from the coming wrath.

The important thing is to wait for Jesus--it's HOW we wait for Him that makes the difference.

Both parts of this verse are important. We believe in faith of His return & his salvation from the coming wrath.

The coming wrath is not a popular subject! It needs to be on a par with teaching God's love!

It reemphasizes the foundational principle of the Christ and His purpose. The Christian faith is based upon Christ, the apostle also wrote 1 Corinthians 15:12-19

All are important, they all intertwine John 3:16 those that are his must believe (through belief they will wait); His resurrection 1 Corinthians 15:17-28 afford those whom are His to have the opportunity to enter in. I believe that all are intrinsically important, nevertheless through ignorance I'll say that belief that He is, that He was, and that He is to come is most important.

I really cannot say, I believe each word of verse is important, so important that I cannot place a lesser value even thought I believe that believe is of the essence. Perhaps many believe that the wrath to come is less important. many believe that all will be spared because of grace, mercy and love.

Maybe the wrath to come. I agree with Dr. Ralph's assessment, " Our age has rejected the idea

of accountability to God -- and even of the reality of sin"

Verse 10 teaches us that Jesus is coming again and it is Jesus who rescues us from the coming wrath of God.

I think the most important element is that Jesus rescues us from the wrath of God. Jesus is our redeemer and only through Him are we going to enjoy eternity with Him, escaping God's wrath that will be poured out. When He does come again, anyone who doesn't have faith in Him for their salvation won't want to see Him coming!

Two areas are under emphasized in the church today. That God is going to pour out His wrath and it is going to be terrible. It's a scary thought, but truth. IF we are saved though, we have nothing to fear. I think the other overlooked area is that Christ is coming back and we should be mindful of that every day. And, that He is coming back as a conquering King! He has already won the battle and will reign, so we as a church need to emphasize making sure we are in the LORD'S army....not Satan's. Choose TODAY who you will serve!

That Jesus is the son of God; He died but rose again; he is our savour; He is coming back again and there will judgment when the wrath of God will be meted on all who rejected the gift of salvation.

All these elements are very important.

The one that is under emphasied is the final judgement as some people believe that a loving God cannot allow such a hard thing to happen.

Q. In 1 Thessalonians 1:10 What does verse 10 teach us about the Christian faith?

A. This verse is foundational to the Christian faith in that it assures us Jesus Christ is God's Son, Jesus Christ will return, Jesus Christ has been raised from the dead, Jesus Christ is our Savior, and that God's wrath is coming upon sin(Dr Ralph).

Q. Which of these elements are most important?

A. The elements that Jesus Christ has been raised from the dead and Jesus Christ will return are perhaps, in my opinion the most important elements. These truths display the awesome power of God in raising Christ from the dead. They disply victory over the grave; they give us the assurance that at the return of Christ we will rise victorious to be with him.

Q. Which are less important?

A. In my opinion they are all equally important.

Q. Which are under emphasized by the church in our day?

A. The element that is under emphasized by the church in our day is that God's wrath is coming upon sin. We are truly living in the last days and we see the Word of God being fulfilled in regard to the lawlessness of man. The emphasize of our society is not focused on the things of God but on self gratification.

The true consequences for sin, God's displeasure with sin, and the pending wrath of God is not being emphasized in many churches today. They that have an ear let them hear.

Wait for Jesus, who God raised from the dead (the Resurrection)Jesus delivers us from the wrath to come (salvation). Honestly, they are all important. I think the church doesn't emphasize how we are to wait? The church I attend is very good in preaching the gospel and stresses the Resurrection and fortunately they do teach the soon coming of our Lord. I am blessed with a truly gifted, anointed minister. I would say the fellowship that I attend is like unto the church in Philadelphia from Revelation and it just so happens to be in the city of Philadelphia.

I was just wondering living in the Laodecia age, how is any church like that in Philaelphia (please explain). I just got a little confusedon that. I know you referred to the type of fellowship, but still, thank you and God bless.

It teaches that it's basis is the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Also, that await his return one day. All are, but without him redeeming us through his death, we would still be prisoners to sin. I believe all are enormously important. I think that his burial is less emphasized because his birth and death are so hugely celebrated on Easter and Christmas holidays. Him being buried symbolized how we went down (sin buried) and came up with new life (water baptism) And of course we know that baptism is for many religions a sensitive topic. But this is up for debate and not celebrated as is his birth, and death and his coming back, people really don't believe that nowadays at all.

Verse 10 teach us to wait, Christ was risen from the dead and he will RETURN to this earth.

The element most important is: Jesus Christ is our savior he suffered and died for our sins and recued us from the punishment we so richly deserve.

All elements are important.

Most underemphasized by the church is GOD'S wrath is coming upon sin. I have notice many churches preaches a "FEEL-GOOD, CHEER LEADER'S" type sermon, maybe they fear people will leave if they told the truth about the consequence of sin.

Q4. (1 Thessalonians 1:10)

It teaches us that it is all about Jesus. He is God’s Son, He will return, He has been raised from the dead, He is our Saviour, He will judge us for our sin. To me I would say that Jesus’ resurrection is the most important. Although they are all important and there is not one that is less important. The resurrection not only declared Jesus to have victory over death, but that He is the Son of God. We also have the promise that He will return from heaven. The element that is mostly under emphasized by our churches today is the fact that God’s wrath is coming, and here it is Jesus who will rescue us from this coming wrath. Already He has delivered us from the condemnation of our sins and when He comes He will accomplish the final stage of our salvation.