JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

We wait for Jesus, who is coming back from heaven; he is God's son - God raised Jesus from the dead after Jesus had died as penalty for our sin; Jesus delivers us from the wrath to come (when God will judge the world).

This is best to understand when we think of God's wrath against sin like a bush fire, if you want to be safe you have to burn some ground ahead of the bush fire and then step onto the already scorched ground. When we belong to Jesus our sin has already been dealt with on the cross and when God will judge the world his wrath will find nothing in us to burn away.

It is important that Jesus is coming back for us and that God will judge the world but it is not important to know when and how that will happen, as long as we are ready.

Both these important elements are under-emphasized by the church nowadays probably as over-reaction to previous generation's preaching of doom and the fear which has been created then. 

But only if we know that we have to account for what we have done and that we never can live up to God's holiness we can see our need for salvation. He can't just overlook our “small mistakes” - any sin is completely incompatible with his holiness and only in Jesus we can have fellowship with God, who dearly loves us and doesn't want us to perish.

God hates sin but loves the sinner and wants him to become free from the power and punishment of sin.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We wait for Jesus, who is coming back from heaven; he is God's son - God raised Jesus from the dead after Jesus had died as penalty for our sin; Jesus delivers us from the wrath to come (when God will judge the world).

This is best to understand when we think of God's wrath against sin like a bush fire, if you want to be safe you have to burn some ground ahead of the bush fire and then step onto the already scorched ground. When we belong to Jesus our sin has already been dealt with on the cross and when God will judge the world his wrath will find nothing in us to burn away.

It is important that Jesus is coming back for us and that God will judge the world but it is not important to know when and how that will happen, as long as we are ready.

Both these important elements are under-emphasized by the church nowadays probably as over-reaction to previous generation's preaching of doom and the fear which has been created then. 

But only if we know that we have to account for what we have done and that we never can live up to God's holiness we can see our need for salvation. He can't just overlook our “small mistakes” - any sin is completely incompatible with his holiness and only in Jesus we can have fellowship with God, who dearly loves us and doesn't want us to perish.

God hates sin but loves the sinner and wants him to become free from the power and punishment of sin.

Q4. (1 Thessalonians 1:10) What does verse 10 teach us about the Christian faith? Which of these elements are most important? Which are less important? Which are underemphasized by the church in our day?          

It teaches all the foundational truths! Which is most important? All are important!! Least important? NONE!! What is underempahasized by the church in our day has been the wrath of God. Most refuse to believe there is a penalty for sin in our lives. There is a penalty for the sins of a country that has fallen away and denied the Lord.  His anger and wrath is sure to come when iniquity is on the increase and the cup becomes full!

• 4 weeks later...

(1 Thessalonians 1:10) What does verse 10 teach us about the Christian faith? Which of these elements are most important? Which are less important? Which are underemphasized by the church in our day?

I believe all of these elements are important.  We need to understand that Jesus is God's son.  I remember when I was seventeen in Oakland, California looking up at the night sky from my apartment's roof at the stars asking God who He is.  I always felt that God existed, but who is He?  I remember crying that night in anguish wondering who Go is.  I would ask God to reveal himself to me when I was looking up into the night sky and and I was looking at the city's skyline wondering who  could tell me.  I did have the bible that I won in a fair but it made no sense to me.  Finally, when I was nineteen, God answered my anguish prayer when I read John Chapter 1.  After reading this chapter, I immediately cried out to Him for salvation.  Up to that point, I did not know who God was or Jesus.  So it is imperative to understand Jesus in relationship to God.

It is also important to know that will return for us.  This is the blessed hope we have that He will come again for us just as He did the first time and that He will not leave us in the grave but resurrect our bodies to be joined with our spirit ( Jesus Christ has been raised from the dead.)

Finally, there will be a reckoning coming against sin that we will not be part of and an accountability to everyone who will not put their trust in Him.  This is a sobering thought and I am sure that it was a sobering thought for Paul.  That is why he did anything he could to reach out to those who are blind and deceived  by Satan.  I pray that I would have such a conviction of heart as Paul did in his time. 

This verse teaches us that Christ is coming back again; He did indeed rise from the dead; God is going to judge all for the sins they committed; and to be patient and live Godly lives while we wait for His return.

B. To me, the most important element is the fact that we need to live Godly lives, because Christ is sure to return.

C. Christ's return is under emphasized by our church today.

• 1 month later...

It teaches to wait for the second coming. He will deliver us from the wrath to come.I feel that there is not enough teaching and understanding concerning Christ's second coming.

• 2 weeks later...

V10 teaches us that Christian faith is anchored on Jesus Christ.  Christians are to be rooted in the five foundational truths about Jesus Christ: that Christ is the Son of God; that Christ will return; that God raised Christ from death; that Christ is our Savior and that God’s wrath is coming upon sin.  These elements are all equally important to all Christian community; not accepting any one of these foundational truths is not believing the Bible.  However the church today is not preaching a lot about repentance and leaving sins that were committed before one receives salvation.  It is as if Christians can still sin as long as they bring offerings in the house of God.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Q4. (1 Thessalonians 1:10) What does verse 10 teach us about the Christian faith? Which of these elements are most important? Which are less important? Which are underemphasized by the church in our day?

(i)  Quoting from the notes:

In this one verse, Paul reminds the believers of five foundational truths which are at the core of the gospel.

1. Jesus Christ is God's Son. It is just a reference here, no doubt, to much more thorough teaching that he had given in person when he first won them to Christ.
  2. Jesus Christ will return. Every chapter (except one) in 1 and 2 Thessalonians has something to say about Christ's coming. It is a persistent theme of both letters (1 Thessalonians 1:10; 2:19; 3:13; 4:13-18; 5:1-4; 2 Thessalonians 1:7-10; 2:1-14).
  3. Jesus Christ has been raised from the dead. Paul mentions this again later in the letter:  "We believe that Jesus died and rose again." (4:14).
  4. Jesus Christ is our Savior. He has stood in our place, he took our sins upon him on the cross to rescue us from the punishment we so richly deserve.
  5. God's wrath is coming upon sin. Our age has rejected the idea of accountability to God -- and even of the reality of sin. They don't believe in the wrath of God against sin -- or at least they suppress that thought most of the time. That certain and terrible judgment is another theme of these letters (1 Thessalonians 2:16; 5:9; 2 Thessalonians 1:5, 7-8; 2:12)

(ii)  These are all important. Possibly 5 is not as important as the others. I do not feel comfortable with the term of God.  Yet it can hardly be denied. Leon Morris notes that the wrath of God is not vindictive passion and does not imply lost of control as does the wrath of people. For the wrath of God does not  have the imperfections of human wrath but it gives the idea of God's detestation of evil and sin as it is expressed by the human condition. This wrath is just not expressed in the present world but is also to continue forth until the day of the Lord. The wrath of God is of the Lord and we as humans cannot understand for our God is paradoxical and beyond our comprehension.

(iv)  God's wrath is coming upon sin is probably the one that is forgotten in many of today's churches. 

• 6 months later...

Christian faith is based on principles that Jesus Christ is the true son of God, he took our sins upon himself and dies for us. he was in the grave 3 days and rose from the dead. And because of him, we have been delivered from the wrath to come. This would equate to the end times in the book of Revelation.

I believe that all of these elements hold all of the same equal importance. You can not have one without the other. These are the basics of who Christ was and what he did. I feel that we have come to a type of fluffy religion now. We want people to have warm and comfy feelings at all times. We do not stress enough the basic principles of our faith. We are afraid of what they might think. We do not want to be the cause  of any discomfort to those that attend the worship service.

• 1 year later...

1 Thessalonians 1:10 teaches us that our faith is dependant on the belief that we are to wait for the Father's Son from heaven to return, whom he raised from the dead. Jesus who has rescued us from the coming wrath of God himself.

All of these elements of belief are all important to our faith.

None of the beliefs is of the least importance to our faith.

The element of belief that appears to b the least important to everyone is the coming of the wrath of God. Most people believe God could not possibly send everyone to hell, surely he is a merciful and loving God they say, with no belief in the Son of God.   

• 4 months later...

1. and to wait for his Son from heaven,

2. whom he raised from the dead—Jesus,

3. who rescues us from the coming wrath

This verse teaches us to be ready NOW! because we should be ready anytime Jesus will come and give Judgement. Jesus was raised from the dead because death cannot conquer over His sinless life, and by His life we are covered up and made deserving at Eternal Life because of Him. Also important is the reminder that God's wrath will be brought to all sinners! but thankfully, through Faith and His Grace of forgiveness we are cleansed! so it is Urgent to Have Faith, believe, and put entire Trust, because it is in Faith and God's Grace we can Only be Saved.

All points are important!

Underemphasized is to "wait for His Son..."

Not all people know urgency to Surrender to Christ NOW! I believe that's how we should wait. That anytime at an unexpected moment, Jesus is going to give the Judgement.

Also underemphasized is God's Wrath. God's anger to sinners (all of us) is eternal pain, death, in fire! Fear of the Lord is NOT present in almost everyone.

• 9 months later...

What does verse 10 teach us about the Christian faith? 1 Thessalonians 1 verse 10 teaches us to learn to wait for God’s Son, Jesus Chirst to come from heaven, whom he raised from the dead. Who rescues us from the coming wrath.

Which of these elements are most important? The most important element is faith and patience in waiting upon the lord Jesus Christ.

Which are underemphasized by the church in our day? The reality of sin and that the wrath of God against sin is surely coming.

• 11 months later...

Jesus christ is the son of God

Jesus Christ will return

Jesus Christ has been raised from the dead

Jesus Christ is our Saviour

God's wrath is coming on sins.

The most important elements are that Jesus is the son of living God, Hes coming back,He's alive and without Him we can't get internal hope and life.well I think everything is important I didn't find anything less important.

Today in our churches they don't teach about the wrath and judgement of God they always say God's grace grace and grace " Grace is free but it's not cheap"

• 11 months later...

I"m so happy you highlighted v10 because it bounced out at me.

I marveled at Pauls ability to take heavy doctrine and make it concise and applicable.

Most importantly I was amazed at his applying doctrine immediately in his letter.

Fast forward to 2019....most of the time doctrine never mentioned. In fact, I am noticing that often the gospel is not even preached.

Instead, we have self-help sessions, therapy consults, etc.

The Resurrection typically is only discussed on Easter...if then. "Surprised by Hope: Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection, and the Mission of the Church" 

By NT Wright totally changed the way I view The Resurrection of Jesus Christ!

I am new on this site and I am so grateful for it. Thank you, Dr. Wilson and all of you participating.

• 2 years later...

Verse 10 teaches us that Jesus is the Son of God, and that he had died (for us), and has risen again to be the living God, that will protect us through faith in Him, when the final judgement comes.

The teaching in this verse all have great value, but the fact that Jesus had risen from the dead makes us realise He has overcome death, and through Him alone we can do the same.

Some churches will teach us all the things in that verse , but do not talk much about the wrath, and final judgement that awaits if we do not walk in Christ.

• 1 year later...

The Christain faith was no passing fancy for the Thessalonians.   Their hearts were full of expectation for the Second Coming of Christ.   Though they were undergoing persecutions, they firmly believed that the Resurrected Christ is in heaven, to reign, Christ is our Joshua--our heavenly High Priest,preparing a place for us.    The Thessalonians had a firm understanding of the connection between Christ's Resurection and our deliverance from the wrath to come at the Second Advent.  Christ.    We are blessed by the continuous deliverence from the wrath to come.  Christ is our PRESENT DELIVERER from the power of sin who will deliver us from the punishment of sin.

The Thessalonians were so full of zeal and love for the Parousia of the Lord Jesus Christ.  They truly wanted to be ready for the Rapture; despite tribulations and sorrows, they had a true expectation that Christ is the Deliverer.    

The Thessalonians were not caught up at that time in regards to concise future eschatological events.   Issues such exact times and prophetic events were not top on the list.    The doctrine of the Parousia is what caught their hearts and minds.   Due the election of God and graces given, the Thessalonians radiated the Gospel light by their carefull conduct amongst a crooked and perverse generation.

Church of God...Be Rapture ready!  Churches have fallen into the "cheap grace" syndrome.   The parables of the wide and foolish virgins and the fig tree illustrate my point.   Many don't have the fruits of the Holy Spirit,nor do their fulfill their ministries in accordance with 1 PETER 2:9.   They have lost their calling to be preachers, prophets, pastors, Apostles.  Much of this stems from lack of understanding of the Epistle to the Hebrews: we are called to enter the Holiest of Holies.

• 6 months later...

What it says about the Christian faith is that we believe in a living savior who is so powerful that death could not hold him down.  Also that we as Christians await his return because he promises to come back for us.  He loves us that much, so we need not fear what man can do to us which is just temporary.  This is unlike those who will suffer his wrath.  
I believe that his resurrection is the most important because he would be none of the above if he hadn’t risen.  The one least talked about in the churches is his wrath.  He is love, so it’s hard to think of him as pouring out wrath although it is because of his great deep love that he does pour it out.  

On 4/15/2023 at 4:02 PM, Jonathan Edwards said:

Church of God...Be Rapture ready!  Churches have fallen into the "cheap grace" syndrome.   The parables of the wide and foolish virgins and the fig tree illustrate my point.   Many don't have the fruits of the Holy Spirit,nor do their fulfill their ministries in accordance with 1 PETER 2:9.   They have lost their calling to be preachers, prophets, pastors, Apostles.  Much of this stems from lack of understanding of the Epistle to the Hebrews: we are called to enter the Holiest of Holies.

(Jonathan, I may have met you decades ago at Yale. You were a few years ahead of me ... distinctive name. God Bless.)

"... And they speak of how you are looking forward to the coming of God’s Son from heaven — Jesus, whom God raised from the dead. He is the one who has rescued us from the terrors of the coming judgment." I thess 1.10 NLT

The Thessalonians were expectantly looking forward to the return of Jesus. I'm certain they expected Him to return during their lifetimes -- here we are, 2000 years later, still waiting for His return. This verse lauds their patience and willingness to wait. It expects judgment soon ... "the COMING judgment."

I think the salvation message is well-taught in most evangelical churches today, yet the second coming is downplayed for the obvious reason that we're still waiting for it to happen. It's a bit like Godot. Waiting. Waiting. He never shows but still expected!

--

Lately, I've been reading/watching people in the "prophetic community" talk about how God will soon come to exact judgment on the wickedness of Western nations. A great harvest (many saved) is to follow. This is their expectation. Their strong belief. Yet I think of the people who stood on a hill, dressed in white, waiting for Jesus to come again, absolutely convinced they had received from God clear directives about the time and place. The crawl down in the morning must have been humiliating.

And, too, I think of all the revivals and awakenings that fizzled and disappeared. 

As a church, we're not good at sustaining expectation.

At the onset of Christianity, however, believers didn't have history to contend with. They earnestly believed Christ's return was imminent. They lived as if every day would be their last and then died natural deaths still expecting His return.

I'm NOT saying I don't expect Christ to return again, for I do believe He's coming to retrieve His church. He'll be coming for all believers, dead and alive. But, admittedly, I don't live expectantly. I don't expect it to happen tomorrow or even today. I live as if it's a promise of an event that will happen in the far future.

This may be wrong.