JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Rejoicing, Praying, and Thanking

I think that a person can rejoice and pray continually when they ate truly thankful for the things that God has done for us. When we see something that is beautiful and give a quick thanks to God and when things are changing we can say a quick prayer asking for help.

I think that a person can rejoice and pray continually when they ate truly thankful for the things that God has done for us. When we see something that is beautiful and give a quick thanks to God and when things are changing we can say a quick prayer asking for help.

• 2 weeks later...

We should rejoice and pray continually. Every moment in your day you should pray and rejoice that we have a Savior who loves us so much He laid down His life for us. There should not be any circumstances that you are in that you can't rejoice and pray. We are to do this continually.

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18) In your own words explain how a person can rejoice and pray continually. Are there any circumstances we might be in the midst of where we should not give thanks to God?

A person can rejoice and pray continually by being conscious of their activities and being aware that the omniscient, omnipresent God in with them; and having that awareness should cause one to talk to God, give Him praise and be thankful in everything. There is never a circumstance when we might be in the midst of where we should not give thanks to God, just knowing that God is watching over us and is in control is enough to be thankful.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18) In your own words explain how a person can rejoice and pray continually. Are there any circumstances we might be in the midst of where we should not give thanks to God?

You can rejoice and pray continually when in just remembering who God is and all the benefits He has provided for us. Just remembering this brings us into conversation with God which IS prayer. From here we go on and pray for others and it seems continual all through the day if we just begin with remembering who God IS!! There are not any circumstances where we should not give thanks because the Word says that this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

A person can only rejoice and pray continually if they are filled with the Holy Spirit. This implies that they know and love Jesus, that they have been justified by the grace of God through the Lord Jesus and are in the process of being sanctified by the work of the Holy Spirit. In order to be so joyful we must please our complete trust on   the promises of the Lord and be confident that God will supply. We are promised that God loves us and because he takes care of the sparrows and the lilies that he will care for us also. There may be hard times, there may be sad times, we may suffer but all this is in Christ who told us take no thought for tomorrow for tomorrow will look after itself. But we are to first seek the kingdom of God and then all else will be added onto us. 

• 6 months later...

A person can have a thought that will bring an image of God to mind. They can then say a few words to God at that time. They can give thanks for rain. They can be joyful for a friend. Their whole day can be a conversation to God. They do not need to pray canned prayers all day long. No matter what is going on in our lives, we need to be thankful to God for all of it. God is not out to hurt us, he just wants us to grow up with healthy values and sometimes these are brought on by the hardest lessons that we have to face.

• 1 year later...

A person can rejoice and pray continually by taking every moment of time we are idle as in breaks and lunch times at work, during driving to and from work or doing errands. praying in evenings when all work is done and before going to bed or getting up in the morning.

The times when we should not give prayers to God is when we are working or when we need to give our entire time and devotion to our job, especially were safety is concerned. 

• 1 year later...

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18) In your own words explain how a person can rejoice and pray continually. A person can pray and rejoice continually irrespective of the circumstances that come their way. We have to rejoice always. We have to give thanks to God always; in both bad and good times.

Are there any circumstances we might be in the midst of where we should not give thanks to God? Apparently, there are no circumstances that can hinder us from giving thanks to God.

• 4 years later...

You can rejoice and pray continually, only if you have Jesus on your mind continually. We delight in the small and big blessings in our lives, whether it is to us personally, or seen around us. This is when we keep rejoicing at how wonderful it is to know God. We need to keep God in our prayers not only for needs, but certainly for praise and thanks as well. And by praying it could mean just talking to God in your thinking as you drive your car, having your lunch, doing your work, etc.

Paul says we should give thanks in all circumstances, and it will be difficult in some instances to give thanks, I am just thinking, what if you loose child? The sadness, and heartache must be unthinkable, and to give thanks in such circumstances would be so difficult, BUT thanking God that you had the gift of that child, and precious time, and memories would be how , " all the time" should be looked at.

• 1 year later...

At times, we do offer verbal prayers of praise; other times, we have silent times of praise.  Though we may have times of sorrow, our prayers though short and simple, touch the heart of God.   I believe that the "gift of tongues" should be part of the prayer life of the believer; we pray with "unutterable groanings".   During times of dilemmas, we may not know how to pray, we are indeed baffled!   Quietly we can pray in tongues; we offer up a sacrifice of praise as we intercede for those in need of salvation, desperate cases, and divine healing.

We need to draw nigh into God with Thanksgiving despite going through dark times.   There is a constant Bible pattern--praise of God wroughts miracles.   The late healing evangelist KATHERINE KUHLMAN constantly stressed the importance of praise.   In her healing services, there were reverential times of praise prior to her getting words of knowledge in regards to healings taking place.  Christ had a heart of praise during His ministry; He knew what was going to happen on Calvary.  Despite numerous rejections, persecutions and sufferings; Christ gave praise to His Father.

• 5 months later...

When I read answers on this forum, I feel like an inferior Christian for I struggle mightily with praising God in dire circumstances. When in pain or inner turmoil my first response is NOT to praise but to cry out to Him for help and relief. Not all prayers are praise. Some are cries. Some are so painful that they defy words ... the groaning of the Spirit within.

It may be possible for people on this forum to praise continually, but I have not been able to do this. Though I pray as I suffer and am subjected to unjust persecution, I cannot praise. Praise comes after the shock and horror, not in the midst of it, at least in my experience.

Crying out to God for help and relief is one of the most pure forms of prayer. The absolutely desperate, flat-on-my-back prayer to God when there is nothing else between us, nothing hidden, no distraction or complications ... that's a real prayer -- it's so heart-felt, so pure in it's expression that I am certain God has heard me, the real me, and will answer in His time. I suppose, if I were a more mature Christian, I'd be able to praise at such times, but at this point, such praise wouldn't seem genuine but forced. 

Below is the Living Bible translation of the 77th Psalm. Perhaps, at the end, there is praise.:

I cry to the Lord

I call and call to Him

Oh that He would listen

I am in deep trouble and I need His help so badly

All night long I pray, lifting my hands to heaven, pleading

There can be no joy for me until He acts.

I think of God and moan, overwhelmed with a longing for His help.

I cannot sleep until You act.

I am too distressed even to pray. 

... Has the Lord rejected me forever?

Will He never again be favorable?

Is His loving-kindness gone forever?

Has His promise failed?

Has He forgotten to be kind to one so undeserving?

Has he slammed the door in anger on His love?

... This is my fate, that the blessings of God have changed to hate.

... O God, Your ways are holy. Where are there any other as mighty as You?

You are the God of miracles and wonders!

You still demonstrate Your awesome power.