JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

1) In what areas do non-Christians in our culture stumble over the basic gospel of Christ?

They try to make out like it is a way of putting them in bondage and they cannot have a life by living the gospel of Christ. It is so simple that a child understands it and a older person makes it seem impossible to live.

2) To what degree can we help bridge this gap through careful and creative presentation?

MEN will listen to someone that is anointed of God, and through the foolishness of PREACHING will convict people of their sins.

3) To what degree might that's "watering" down the gospel?

Watering down the gospel will not give a new believeer the full truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.This is a very deceptive way that will led to a false salvation.

4) why can't we escape the tension between culturally relevant communication and changing the essence of the message?

People are watching our lives and the life we live in the must be the same that we live at work and every where we. You must walk our talk. The message is the FOR everyone, no matter the culture are the time of history. Jesus never changes and neither does the gospel.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:21-25) In what areas do non-Christians in our culture stumble over the basic gospel of Christ?

From my experience, it would seem that non-Christians view believing in God and Jesus as being too simple and easy. Can't adequately explain evolution? Then believe God created everything. That's what they think of us. A close friend of mine prides himself on his intellect. He reads The Scientific American from cover to cover and among his many skewed beliefs is that we hiccup because we originally evolved from fish! No, really. You can't make this stuff up. He'd rather believe in compete hogwash than acknowledge that Jesus loves him and died and rose again for him. I think the average non-Christian won't accept the Gospel because if they become Christians they won't be able to have any more fun. People gasp in horror when I tell them I don't drink, smoke or use narcotics. "How do you have any fun?"

To what degree can we help bridge this gap through careful and creative presentation?

I don't believe we should be creative and try to alter the basic Gospel message. If it was good enough for St Paul, then it should be good enough for us! We need to take the message to the people, though, and not just expect them to come to Church all of a sudden.

There are plenty of para-church groups around trying to do just that. Meeting people where they live. I used to hang with and surf with the Christian Boardriders back in the early 1970s. There are Christian motorcycle clubs, Christian hotrod clubs, etc. Then there are all the Christian bands trying to get the Gospel across to their unsaved audience. How can we help? Support them instead of knocking them for having long hair, and/or tattoos for starters. While it's OK to support missionaries in other countries, don't forget those working right here in our own cities and towns.

Would YOU like to go into a biker gathering and try your hand at reaching those heavy-duty dudes for Christ? Didn't thnk so. Then support the guys who do go in there among all the violence, drugs, alcohol, crime, etc, and witness for Jesus.

To what degree might that be “watering down” the gospel?

It's easy to muddy the water when it comes to presenting the fact that "You're a sinner and you're gonna go to hell unless you follow Jesus and accept him as your Savior". When folks say they're good people and that you don't need to go to church to be a good Christian, and that there are better Christians at the bar than at Church, we're tempted to water down our message to placate them. Mad Dog Mudford, a very well-known Christian biker here in Australia, is the straightest-talking guy I ever heard. He lays it down with no frills. To those who may think he'd led a pretty cool life prior to becoming a Christian he tells them his life was utter garbage and that he was hell-bound and in a hurry before he met Jesus, who completely changed his life around.

Why can’t we escape the tension between culturally-relevant communication and changing the essence of the message?

The answer to that is in the passage we're studying. On the surface it seems too easy. "Just believe in Jesus and I'll be saved? Where's the catch? There has to be something I need to do myself, surely?" Well, no. God already did that. All people need to do is accept and believe. Of course sticking to your beliefs in an unbelieving world often becomes quite hard.

But that was the problem Paul faced. Preaching the Gospel of Christ and Him crucified was far too simple for people looking for some complex belief system.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:21-25) In what areas do non-Christians in our culture stumble over the basic gospel of Christ? In the areas of common sense and human intelligence. 

To what degree can we help bridge this gap through careful and creative presentation? To a degree where the gospel will no longer carry power and authority to transform lives but appease the intellect and emotions. 

To what degree might that be “watering down” the gospel? Anytime we take out or add to the word of god, we remove it's authoritative power, which is life and spirit and leave them to be mere words. 

Why can’t we escape the tension between culturally-relevant communication and changing the essence of the message? Because culturally relevant communication crafted by man and not led by the Holy Spirit can change the essence of the message.  

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:21-25) In what areas do non-Christians in our culture stumble over the basic gospel of Christ?

A.) I believe some feel that they are not worthy and have done too many wrong or bad things to be cleansed and accepted. Some feel that they would have to clean up their lives before they could enter a church or Jesus would accept them. Many believe what the world has taught ant that the Bible is just stories and that Jesus was just a man or it is all myths and only simplyons could possibly fall for such garbage.

To what degree can we help bridge this gap through careful and creative presentation?

A.) if we present the gospel and live our life in love with truth and sincerely I feel we can bridge that we can help bridge the gap to a great degree. Isn't that what we are called to do?

To what degree might that be “watering down” the gospel?

A.) I don't feel you will truly be able to bridge the "Gap" by "watering" down the gospel. I actually think it weakens the Gospel and our witness by trying to water down the truth of the Gospel. We must follow the examples of Paul, Christ and the rest of the Apostles and not soft pedal the Gospel to get people in church. True conversion and repentance can only come by knowing and embracing the fullness of Christ Crucified.

Why can’t we escape the tension between culturally-relevant communication and changing the essence of the message?

A.) the truth can overcome and dispel the darkened to water it down weakens the message to the point of no effect. We are to speak the truth watering down the message is basically the same as lying. We must maintain the integrity of the Gospel and our own witness while presenting it in a way that today's culture will understand and accept it.

Q2.  In what ways do non-Christians in our culture stumble over the gospel of Christ?...

Non-Christians who are either not practicing in formal religion or atheists or practicing other religions such as Judaism or Muslim may not like the authority of the Church.  many feel the Gospel is inflexible.  Many different faiths have been portrayed in tv and radio and internet media so we are aware of the differences and we choose either to let each other become aware of each other or ignore the chances to learn to understand the fundamental differences in order to educate others about our beliefs.

I believe one reason that non-believers stumble over the basic gospel message of Jesus Christ in our culture is that it is not scientifically based or proven by post-modern standards and therefore is a myth.  Faith and trust God not proven by the scientific method cannot exist.  Scientists most put their stamp of approval of any belief for it to be valid.  A lot of Americans and the western world are blinded by this notion.

God gave us a great gift called reason and rationality.  The basic gospel message of Jesus Christ can be presented in a rational and logical manner.  Science doesn't have the market on reason and logic. 

You don't have to water down the gospel in presenting it in a logical and rational manner.  In fact, in presenting the gospel, Paul not only preached but he also reasoned with people.  It presented the gospel in this manner while in Athens.   The book of Acts gives a great account of his visit to Athens.

I believe a Christian should just sow the gospel of Jesus Christ into our culture and water it with prayer and ignore the so called tension in communication.  We over complicate things in this culture.  Keeping it simple and pure is the best way to present the basic gospel of Jesus Christ.  Anything else distorts and waters it down.  We present the gospel and the Holy Spirit does the work within the person.  God draws people to himself.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:21-25) In what areas do non-Christians in our culture stumble over the basic gospel of Christ? To what degree can we help bridge this gap through careful and creative presentation? To what degree might that be “watering down” the gospel? Why can’t we escape the tension between culturally-relevant communication and changing the essence of the message?

2.a.  I think it is faith, trusting, and believing that God loves them.  It is hard for them to believe that God loves them so much that he would send His son to die for them.  They don't feel loveable.  If they heard the gospel and were open to God's love and received it they would be amazed.

b. Tell them what God did for you and that He is no respecter of persons and would do them same for them. Usually it is when the person is going through a hard time and is desperate and open to the gospel.

c.  Not everyone has the same experience.  We need to tell them that even though the choices that they have made were not good, God still loves them and wants to forgive them.  That Jesus came to die for our sins, was buried and rose again.

d.  How we can be culturally relevent without changing the essence of the message is to trust God in the mix, he knows all about this person, where they came from, what they have been through and knows exactly what this person needs to hear.  

I think non-Christians will always pick and choose what they identify with in the gospel and throw the rest out. Because of this I don't think presentation is the problem. I think a person is introduced to Christ and they will accept him in there own time(along with some help from above :) ). Fellowship is always important. Bonding and accepting someone into family, home, life, etc... and letting them see through example is probably the most important.

I think that one of the areas that non-Christians in our culture stumble over the basic gospel of Christ is that he is God. They can’t believe that He was sent down to this earth to die for our sins. They also don’t believe in his miracles. We can try to bridge this gap by showing what God is doing for us today my pointing out his the miracles that is doing today.

I don’t know if I would call that watering down the gospel I think that it is presenting in just a small dose at a time so they can understand it. The reason we can’t escape the tension between culturally-relevant communications and changing the essence of the message is that in order to communicate the message we need to use the language that they are used to.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:21-25) In what areas do non-Christians in our culture stumble over the basic gospel of Christ? To what degree can we help bridge this gap through careful and creative presentation? To what degree might that be "watering down" the gospel? Why can't we escape
the tension between culturally-relevant communication and changing the essence of the message?

Verse 21 states that wisdom was not something that the world knew and was a stumbling block but through preaching it can be obtained clearly. Most were not in good relationship with God and therefore like the world today do not comprehend and  further refuse to try to understand and are more pleased with that status than being uncomfortable in  a righteous realm of understanding. An attmept s to water down the gospel may sound attractive to the world but does not get at a personal relationship with the LORD; there is no concept of forgiveness of sin and no redemptive concept consequently enters the picture. we therefore continue to be engaged in the dichotomy of current culture and the attempts to change the truth of the message versus the validity of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Authenticity of the Bible is so very the reasons we are in "Sodom" right now. Our watering down the Word and losing of control of ourselves saying we won't get caught we can do what feels good. Feeling good is straight from the pit. Why people can't see we made this world into a pit of hell raisers who are trying to convince all people to do what feels good. I choose not but sometimes feel as if I am alone.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:21-25) In what areas do non-Christians in our culture stumble over the basic gospel of Christ? To what degree can we help bridge this gap through careful and creative presentation? To what degree might that be "watering down" the gospel? Why can't we escape
the tension between culturally-relevant communication and changing the essence of the message?

Verse 21 states that wisdom was not something that the world knew and was a stumbling block but through preaching it can be obtained clearly. Most were not in good relationship with God and therefore like the world today do not comprehend and  further refuse to try to understand and are more pleased with that status than being uncomfortable in  a righteous realm of understanding. An attmept s to water down the gospel may sound attractive to the world but does not get at a personal relationship with the LORD; there is no concept of forgiveness of sin and no redemptive concept consequently enters the picture. we therefore continue to be engaged in the dichotomy of current culture and the attempts to change the truth of the message versus the validity of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

• 5 months later...

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:21-25) In what areas do non-Christians in our culture stumble over the basic gospel of Christ? To what degree can we help bridge this gap through careful and creative presentation? To what degree might that be “watering down” the gospel? Why can’t we escape the tension between culturally-relevant communication and changing the essence of the message?

Non-Christians in our culture stumble over the basic gospel of Christ because they do not want to accept that they have to change their current lifestyle and accept the fact that to embrace the gospel means a transformed life. We can help to bridge this gap through careful and creative presentation of the gospel, teaching them that the transformed live is not solely dependent on their strength and ability; but rather they have the power of God working with them. It is not watering down the gospel but rather teaching them that the Christian life is successful only in the power of God through the Holy Spirit.  We cannot escape the tension between culturally-relevant communication and changing the essence of the message because the lens that people look through before a Spirit-Led life is led by the environment in which they grew up.  The message that we preach must show them a path out of that culture and enter into a Kingdom culture (mindset).

• 4 months later...

They stumble over his death. And the reasons he had to die. They have a hard time to understand how God could have his son die. They have a problem understanding about forgiveness and grace. The idea of the trinity is also a stumbling block. I also know people that have real problems with the idea of a virgin birth.

I think that we have to be creative and sometimes make concepts overly easy because of the education levels of those we are talking to. However, I also feel that Christian education is a very much on going lifetime of learning. As a person becomes more mature, then we can truly help them to understand more fully what the bible is really saying. We can not allow these people to flounder and find help or answers from wrong places.

I believe that it can be considered watering down the gospel for a beginning to help new Christians to understand complex concepts that theologians continue to fight about today.

I do not believe by simplifying teachings for people, that we are changing the essence of the message. We need to make sure that we are keeping the message. This does not have to change due to culture. The message just needs to be made true to the word.

• 1 year later...

1:  Probably the biggest stumbling block is that Jesus was crucified on the cross for ours sins.  Without knowing that he was the Son of God is is difficult for the unbeliever to accept that He was crucified and died on the cross and then rose again. 

2:  Careful explanation with verses to and present your testimony of how you were save and your walk with the Lord.

3:  I think that some times when you are paraphrasing instead of looking up the exact script there is a watering down effect. 

4:  We live in this culture and times but the Word does not change. 

• 1 year later...

They don’t understand the gospel and what a tremendous gift God gave us by sacrificing His Son for the life of many.  You have to have a gentle approach to those that don’t know the gospel, or they won’t listen.  You also might try praying with them and praying for them when you’re by yourself.  A lot of the sins people commit have been watered down through the years like fornication, adultery, disobedience to parents, lying, gambling, and the list goes on.  Because people have been brought up in the values their parents had.  If their parents weren’t Church people, they probably won’t be Church people either, but there are exceptions and lots of them.  I want to point out that just because you go to Church doesn’t make you a better person than someone who doesn’t, God knows all of man’s thoughts and actions.  As Saint Paul said everyone has sinned and falls short of the the glory of God.  However we have a great healper in Jesus Christ, Jesus prays for us and He is more powerful than the devil.  The devil is always trying to pull us away from our relationship with God, tempting us and the devil has many of his people in this secular world.

• 3 years later...

1 Corinthians 1:21-25)

In what areas do non-Christians in our culture stumble over the basic gospel of Christ?

To what degree might that be "watering down" the gospel?

Why can't we escape the tension between culturally-relevant communication and changing the essence of the message?

The Gospel  is still the same as in Paul's day. 

Many stumble because we do not live as we ought. We bring the world's standards into our lifestyle. 

Hearken to the Spirit, and live the WORD. Where you fail, repent genuinely. Don't pretend never to do anything wrong. Be real. This way the Gospel is not watered down. If and when your life is more desirable to the "world" they will ask and require what you have. Then be truthful and don't beat about the bush. 

God's Word is powerful and sharper than any two edged sword. 

Sow the seed at all times by being who Christ would have you be. 

• 1 year later...

Seculars detest the gospel message. Lets just admit this -- it's not that seculars don't understand the gospel message or can't contextualize it culturally, but rather that they hate the idea of Christ if not Christ Himself. Admitting this is a good first step toward our effective evangelization. When we know we have a message that is good news to us but detested by others, the way we bring that message truly matters.

Most of the time -- but not always -- God uses us where we live, that is, within our own cultures. Even missionaries adopt the cultural practices and understandings of their host. They try to be a part of the social life of wherever they're sent, to truly love the people God has in their path, to assimilate to the degree their morals and faith permits.

Perhaps we have neglected what is close at hand. If you are Western, you are now in a "post-Christian" culture. Missionaries are being sent to the West now! In part this is because it's more difficult to witness to the people most like you, than those who are culturally different. 

Later in the book of Corinthians (chapter 10?), Paul claims he's a Jew to win Jews; to those under the law, he was like one under the law. He also said he became weak to the weak and was "all things to all people ..." to save some.

--

So how should we present the gospel to those who hate it? Frankly, I think the answers to this question depend on our own backgrounds and those to whom we're bringing the gospel. I do think we are most effective -- and most reluctant -- among our "own kind." The tension we confront isn't a consequence of the words we have chosen to communicate with, but is one between the gospel message itself and the presuppositions of those who hate it. This is a spiritual problem, not a cultural one. It requires the Holy Spirit's intervention and softening of the hearts of those to whom we slowly witness, not clever words or 4-step procedures.