JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Fully God

I am falling behind already in this study, but I will try to catch up today.

1. Is Jesus fully God?

I believe that Jesus is fully God, but I do not understand how this can be so. My husband and I just celebrated our 49th anniversary, and in many ways, we are one in heart and mind, but we also have very different personalities, opinions, and thoughts. I don't know if this is a good beginning to understanding how Jesus and God can be the same, but it is one of the best experiences in my life that approaches this understanding. I suppose that my husband and I cannot be considered "fully" one, as can the persons in the trinity; this is where my attempt at understanding this relationship bogs down. However, I attribute my failure to fully comprehend this concept as a human limitation that will one day be removed when I am able to see "face to face."

2. What does it mean that Jesus is the "Word"? What does this say about him and his ministry?

As this physical creation in which we exist was borne of a word from God ("God said. . ."), Jesus as God was/is inherent in all of the creation process. He is the beginning of all that we know of God, and as such, is the communication of the nature of God to man. His ministry includes, in Milton's words, the intention to "justify the ways of God to man." Because our finite existence is incapable of fully comprehending the infinite nature of God and the spiritual universe, we need concrete images to even begin to conceptualize what it means to have faith in God and live by faith. Jesus gives us that as he ministers during his time on earth. This raises a question in my mind about those who lived before Jesus came to earth. It sometimes astounds me that there were ANY men and women of faith before Jesus--but I suppose God's direct communication with the patriarchs and prophets was powerful enough to engender faith. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Q1. (John 1:1-3) According to the Apostle John, is Jesus fully God? What does it mean that Jesus is the "Word"? What does this say about him and his ministry?

Yes, Jesus Christ my Lord is fully God. He was in the beginning, the son of God and participated in creation. Without him nothing was made the Bible says.

“Word” mean communication where the mind finds expression or utterance. He is the Word the Father spoke at creating and is the speaking

This means Jesus is the word of God and his ministry is the propagation of the Word/ message of God.

Yes, Jesus is fully God. John begins his Gospel by calling Jesus " the Word." In using this designation for Christ, John presents Him as the personal Word of God and indicates that in these last days God has spoken to us by His Son. The Scriptures declare that Jesus Christ is the manifold wisdom of God and the perfect revelation of the nature of God. Just as a person's words reveal his heart and mind, Christ as "the Word" reveals the heart and mind of God. Christ was preexistent " with God" before the creation of the world. He was a person existing from eternity, distinct from but in eternal fellowship with God the Father. Christ was divine, having the same nature and essence as the Father. It was through Christ that God the Father created and now sustains the world. In Jesus, God became a human being, having the same nature as man but without sin. Christ was not created, He is eternal, and He has always been in loving fellowship with the Father and the Holy Spirit. For hjis ministry, John used "the Word" that serves as a bridge -word to reach not only Jews but also the unsaved Greeks.

Q1. (John 1:1-3) According to the Apostle John, is Jesus fully God? What does it mean that Jesus is the “Word”? What does this say about him and his ministry? 

Yes, Jesus is fully God. John 1:1, ... the Word was God. John 1:14, ...The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. This relates to the Godhead trinity consisting of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

With reference to Genesis and the creation of the world, God spoke and the world came into existence. God's word is all powerful. God only needs to speak and things came into being. Being part of the Trinity, Jesus is also identified as the Word. 

Jesus' ministry was to bring God's grace and truth to a fallen world and reconcile man back to God.

To help you internalize and apply what you’re learning from John’s Gospel, I’ve included several Discussion Questions in each lesson. These are designed to help you think about and ponder the most important points. Don’t skip this. It’s best to write them out. You can post your answers – and read what others have written – by going to the online forum by clicking on the URL below each question. (Before you can post your answer the first time, you’ll need to register. You can find instructions at http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/instructions.htm

Q1. (John 1:1-3) According to the Apostle John, is Jesus fully God? What does it mean that Jesus is the “Word”? What does this say about him and his ministry?

According to Jn.1:1-3, Jesus is fully God, he was with God, he was Gods spoken word.

Jesus is the word of God. Through him  God created all things, Jesus was the thought and action and doer of God's will, thus he was part of God's being. Perhaps this is one way of explaining his being, the triad is a mystery to us.

God sent Jesus to become his representative on earth. All the works he did was the Father's will, Jesus carried them out. Even though he forsook his place with God he came to earth to teach and confirm what the will of the Father was for us.   

1] Yes, Jesus is fully GOD and fully man. 2] The American Standard is the version that I will focus on. It  tries to focus on a literal word for word translation. Having said that I have received a copy of ' the voice ', which I like very much. It focuses on clear context. I love the gospel of John and nothing will ever replace the beauty of the traditional translations. If you can hear it I will share the insight of ' the voice'.  They translate logos in an active sense as voice. No, it isn't a coincidence.. To paraphrase from page 1288, paragraphs 2 and 3.  We generally read word as a unit of speech > a word < it also refers to the act of speaking , which I always imagine Jesus doing at the moment of creation.  BE . And everthing was. I've even tried to draw it. The logos , word in John is active and personal. I'll shut up about it . So to the question, What does it mean that Jesus is the word ? He and his life are Gods love letter to us. They are God reaching out to us in his word' the Bible' and the life death and resurrection of the Messiah. 3] What does this say about Him and His ministry ? That God wants to restore relationship with humanity so much that he left His glory in heaven and lined among us as one of us.

John shows Jesus as fully human and fully God.  Jesus took upon himself full humanity and lived as a man,he never ceased to be the eternal God who has always existed,the Creator and Sustainer of all things 

and the source of eternal life.

Remember that we exist only because God made us and each one of us have special gifts that God gave us. Apart from God we are nothing because we abandoned the purpose for which you were made.

Q1(John I:1-3) According to the Apostle John, is Jesus fully God? what does it mean that Jesus is the " word"? what does it say about him and his ministry?

without a doubt I believe that John new that Jesus is fully God since his birth also was divinely plan seeing his parent was past childbearing age. Jesus the  "word" as John declared  to means that Jesus the son exit with the Father,  and like the Father in oneness of purpose and will. Jesus' ministry was to do the Fathers' will.  

According to the gospel of John, yes, Jesus is fully God:  "the Word was God" (John 1:1b)  The Word in this context means (as noted by Dr. Wilson), "...the independent personified expression of God himself."  This is saying that Jesus and God are one, but that Jesus is 'expressed' differently than God (in the flesh).  Jesus came to be the Light and to light up everyone who has entered and will enter the world.  His ministry is one of showing the way out of the darkness of sin.

According to the Apostle John Jesus IS fully God.  Jesus is the independent personified expression of God.  He is the Word.  He is, He was, and always will be.  The ministry of Jesus is God's word made "flesh".  Made for us to see and feel and hopefully understand.

Hello folks!!

Q1. (John 1:1-3) According to the Apostle John, is Jesus fully God?

Yes, Jesus is fully God. 

Q2. What does it mean that Jesus is the “Word”?

He is the life revealed in God.

Q3. What does this say about him and his ministry?

Jesus was sent to purify and save us from sin. He makes this through his ministry.

According to the apostle John, is Jesus fully God?

Yes, according to John, Jesus is fully God.

What does it mean that Jesus is the “Word”?

Jesus is the “Word” (utterance) I speak to come to God.

Jesus is the “Word” (promise) that God gave so I can come to God.

Jesus is the “Word” (visual) that shows me my part in God’s plan for His Kingdom.

What does this say about Jesus and His ministry?

Jesus’s ministry is God’s plan put into action.  His earthly appearance is a visual of God’s plan and His Kingdom so that all may believe and be included in that Kingdom.

In John 20:31 it says " "These are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life . The bible says it is and so I believe the scriptures and I believe Jesus is fully God !  Just like how I would tell someone who I am,Jesus tells us who He is.The bible says that  Jesus is the word.  created  what He spoke became or began to exist once he spoke

it into being.  This says that His ministry was to make people aware that He was fully God and fully man. A loving God with forgiveness,

He was to bring men to an awareness that they were flawed sinners and also healed some physically.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the Apostle John Jesus is fully God. I think the meaning of “Jesus is the Word” is that Jesus was there in the beginning and that he is the one that spoke the world into being. This says that Jesus and His ministry is the only way to believe. He has all the answers and that He can do no wrong because He is the one that made everything.

Q1. (John 1:1-3) According to the Apostle John, is Jesus fully God? What does it mean that Jesus is the "Word"? What does this say about him and his ministry?

Yes, according to the Apostle John Jesus is fully God. That Jesus is the "Word" means that He is "the independent personified expression of God." In Jesus we find God communicating to us in a way that we can understand or receive Him in our finite human intelligence. That He is the "Word" says that His ministry is fully divine, He is on the same level as God, the Father.

• 2 weeks later...

According to John Jesus is fully God. This seems clear from 1 John 1 and also 1 John 18. By claiming He is The Word John is saying Jesus was there at the beginning. In fact he spoke everything into existence and is therefore the creator of all. In terms of what this says about His ministry it is clear He is unique - greater than any prophet or patriarch. He is God incarnate and well worth listening to.

Q1. (John 1:1-3) According to the Apostle John, is Jesus fully God? 

YES - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

What does it mean that Jesus is the "Word"?

a.) Ever since the beginning of this world Jesus is there already and He is the "Word". He was with God in the beginning -John 1:2

b.) Proverbs 8:22  The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old. (KJV)
Proverbs 8:23  I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was. KJV)

c.) I and my Father are one. -John 10:30

What does this say about him and his ministry?
Through him all things were made; without him was not anything made that was made. -John 1:3

Meaning He is God Almighty the creator of the earth, the heaven, and whole universe. He has the power to forgive sins and to minister to the poor in spirit.

• 2 weeks later...

John 1:1-3 John is quite explicit, his statement is absolute with no doubt or hesitation as he describes his belief that Jesus in the beginning was, "The Word." Not words but, "The Word." The Word was "with God" and the Word was "God"

How could Jesus when born to physical life on this Earth then, not be the very "Living Word of God"

The Son of God yet, God Himself. Fully obedient to the Farther because that was his mission, to live and behave as a Son to his Father. Not that he was lesser, but that in his humanity, he was fully obedient. A fully reliable, fully knowledgeable, yet self sacrificing, prime example for us to follow, in our walk through life with God. Culminating in his ultimate self sacrifice. Obedient even unto death. God the Word lovingly and willingly suffering for our sin.

On the surface it could be thought rather coldly that....well yes Jesus did it tough, he obeyed the Father and came and suffered for our sin.

But when thinking about this passage of John 1:1-3 you realize that just as God the Father loved mankind enough to send His own Son to die, Jesus also loved mankind by the same degree,enough to want to come to this Earth, and do the suffering and die in order to conquer the dillema faced by mankind in getting to be reconciled to God.

Jesus love for mankind is as God the Father's.

They are One.

Q1. (John 1:1-3) According to the Apostle John, is Jesus fully God? What does it mean that Jesus is the "Word"? What does this say about him and his ministry

It is good to reflect on what this really means, and how John says it early, a declaration in the first few sentences of his Gospel. The living Word is another beautiful was to say who Jesus is, because when we read the Bible today, in the New Testament, it is His words that we cling to for deep meaning. He was living and His words back then have been come to be known by many. He himself is the living word, and His words are living today and forever. Wow, think about it!

Its more than according to John, Jesus said it Himself several times, to the Samaritan woman at the well; and to the Pharisees more than once, "before Abraham was, I AM" 

The bible is the word of God;Jesus's words are in red for the blood He gave, to save us. Only God could have done it the way He did on the cross, for us. The ultimate price He paid to ransom us, we know that everything in His ministry led up to this sacrifice and His confidence that God would raise Him to the final victory. Bless the Holy name of Jesus!!

John shows Jesus as fully human manfully God. Although Jesus took upon himself full humanity and lived as a man, he never ceased to be the eternal God who has always existed , the creator and sustained of all things, another source of eternal life. Jesus is the foundation of all truth