JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Testifying to the Light

Q2. (John 1:7-8) What did it mean that John was sent to "testify" to the light? In what sense are you put here with the purpose of "testifying" to the light? How are you doing in this regard? What happened to John the Baptist? What might happen to you if you testify clearly? What might happen to the people to whom you testify?

Whoa, these questions are so piercing.  

I. What did it mean that John was sent to "testify" to the light?  John's life was prophesied - he was the coming "Elijah" - sent to prepare the way of the LORD, calling his people back to God, and to point to the long-awaited Messiah.

II.  In what sense are you put here with the purpose of "testifying" to the light?  
Well, even though it's easy to get caught up in the trappings of this world and lose sight of it, the Apostle Paul tells us, "For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance as our way of life." (Eph.2:10) It is His will for all of us to be saved and to have a living, loving relationship with Him. (I Tim. 4:6 & II Pet. 3:9) So when we find Jesus and receive His gracious justification, and "as we work out our own salvation with fear and trembling," we are then on the path of sanctification in which He is molding us and making us, actually "working in us both to will and to do of His good pleasure." (Phil. 2:12-16a)  This means that we are living in the light - through God's precious Holy Spirit - and we are under construction, but we can trust that He is actually working in us! This is the wondrous, awe inspiring truth! And He strengthens us so that we can bear witness to testify to this light - "Christ in you [us!] the hope of glory!" (Col. 1:27) - sharing Him in an honest, genuine, humble way through our thoughts, prayers, words, and actions. This is precious and amazing to me, that He doesn’t give up on me, but He is gentle and He is working in me!!!  

III. How are you doing in this regard?
I’m still learning, of course, and have a long way to go, but I am so thankful for His kind leading and shepherding in my life and I am relying on Him to help me testify to His light in every facet of my life - even the seemingly “mundane” ones.  To share our Father in this world in a more far-reaching way, I began a youtube channel in 2020 called “Living Word Aloud.” It is my goal to make the entire Bible available on audio, (also sharing quotes and sermons by different theologians throughout history “a great cloud of witnesses”) His light, free and accessible without restraints of time or place. I know it’s already available online, but I also know that each one of us has a unique group of people that might hear us when they won’t hear anyone else. That said, I still have such a long way to go to more and more effectively testify to the light of my LORD and Savior Jesus Christ. 

IV. What happened to John the Baptist?
He turned many toward our Father God and the Messiah, the LORD Jesus Christ.  Because he obediently testified to the light of Jesus Christ, Andrew heard his testimony and followed Jesus, and told Peter they had found the Messiah.  Ultimately John the Baptist was put to death because of his truthful testimony.

V. What might happen to me if I testify clearly?
Some will receive and some will reject the light of the LORD.  In extreme circumstances, the same fate could conceivably happen to any believer. 

VI. What might happen to the people to whom you testify?
As my LORD Jesus is formed in me, and as I am transformed, follow Him in obedience, and testify of His light in my life, I pray that the people to whom I testify would receive Him as their Savior and LORD as well.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic