JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Testifying to the Light

1] Judaism and humanity require proof of claims. John was a witness to what he saw and heard. 2]  We are to bear witness to our experience and knowledge of God. Or you can think of us as mirrors that reflect His light in the darkness .3] He spoke. They put him in prison. They cut off his head. 4] In The U.S. at this time ostracism. Civil suits and prosecution for hate crimes seems to be looming in the near future. Basically Jesus said we would be treated as He was. Look to the middle east and our persecuted brothers and sisters for your answer . 5] People will repent and enter the kingdom and pass' the way ' on to their circle.  3b] I forgot, ' How are you doing ? ' At this time I'm making progress , still much room for improvement.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John was put here to show he was here to prepare the way for unbelievers. He was put here by God.  God was the Light and John was telling the unbelievers to  walk in the light and not fall into sin. If you walk in darkness you will blindly walk in sin.  

We are all Gods witness we should tell others what God has done for us.  That is testimony in it self. I once was lost but now am found was blind but now I see.

In testifying to others brings me closer to the Lord and it could bring the one we are testifying to fully accepting the Lord as their Saviour.

John the Baptist was be headed 

John was a "forerunner" for Jesus Christ. He came to tell about the Coming of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the "light" of the world.  As Christians, we have Christ living deep within us and as a result we are to let that "light" in us shine so that all men can see and be drawn to us an not away from us.  When we share the Good News of Jesus Christ or share the Gospel, we are testifying to the light.  As a minister I am doing well in this area.  However, I need to do more within my community and my own neighborhood.  John the Baptist was beheaded because of His work for God in telling others about the Coming of Christ.  I may not be beheaded, however, I can be ostracized by others; talked about; and even harassed mentally, physically and/or emotionally and spiritually.  Others who I may testify to can have a life changing experience or they may choose to ignore God's word. 

Evang. Snow

John was a "forerunner" for Jesus Christ. He came to tell about the Coming of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the "light" of the world.  As Christians, we have Christ living deep within us and as a result we are to let that "light" in us shine so that all men can see and be drawn to us an not away from us.  When we share the Good News of Jesus Christ or share the Gospel, we are testifying to the light.  As a minister I am doing well in this area.  However, I need to do more within my community and my own neighborhood.  John the Baptist was beheaded because of His work for God in telling others about the Coming of Christ.  I may not be beheaded, however, I can be ostracized by others; talked about; and even harassed mentally, physically and/or emotionally and spiritually.  Others who I may testify to can have a life changing experience or they may choose to ignore God's word. 

Evang. Snow

John the Baptist was sent ahead of Jesus to affirm that Jesus is the Lamb of God.  He testifies as in a court today that Jesus is who he says he is.  He testifies with authority.  We are made in His likeness.  24 hours a day, 7 days a week we are on this earth to show the light.  We as Christians, Believers, are affirming the Light is Jesus the Lamb of God.  (or we should be!!)  John the Baptist, for his beliefs was beheaded.  He condemned adultery, was imprisoned and beheaded for spite.  To stand up for Jesus is not popular.  In this country it is not so bad.  People who do not want to hear may walk away or laugh.  In foreign counties where I have been standing up for what you believe is dangerous.  In Africa a group will contest you with arms.  But, God is beside you, with you, and always for you.  One must do as one believes.  I did not back down and we ended up laughing.  We agreed we had different Gods and if we truly believed it was ok.

What did it mean that John was sent to “testify” to the light?

John is talking about a war between spiritual light and spiritual darkness. Christs light brings life. Light is over flowing with inextinguishable life.
The light overcomes the darkness.
​John 1: 4-5  - darkness is v.5 is comparing the darkness of satan the Prince of darkness and those who live in spiritual darkness. John came as a witness
to testify about the light of Christ. so that all men might believe in Jesus Christ.

In what sense are you put here with the purpose of “testifying” to the light? How are you doing in this regard?

We are here to let people see the light of Christ in jus. In how we behave and how we treat others.

What happened to John the Baptist? What might happen to you if you testify clearly? What might happen to the people to whom you testify? 

John the Baptist was beheaded for speaking the truth and testifying to the light of Christ.

When i speak to people I ask The Lord to give me the words He wants me to say.  I believe that He will then send someone else to water

the words that I have said.

• 2 weeks later...

What did it mean that John was sent to “testify” to the light?  In what sense are you put here with the purpose of “testifying” to the light?  How are you doing in this regard? What happened to John the Baptist? What might happen to you if you testify clearly?  What might happen to the people to whom you testify?

John was sent to “testify” to the light because he had seen the light and he had a personal relationship with Jesus the light.   I, through faith, have seen the light and I have a personal relationship with Jesus the light.  John the Baptist was killed because of his testimony for Christ.

At the moment, I am not doing so well in testifying for the light except by my walk.  The positive to my testifying would be souls saved while the negative to my testifying could mean persecution for me and them.

Q2. (John 1:7-8) What did it mean that John was sent to "testify" to the light? In what sense are you put here with the purpose of "testifying" to the light? How are you doing in this regard? What happened to John the Baptist? What might happen to you if you testify clearly? What might happen to the people to whom you testify?
http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/topic/1388-q2-testifying-to-the-light/. I 

John was sent to testify of Jesus,and Jesus is the light. the purpose we were put here was to comprehend or get to know Jesus as the light and to overcome the darkness,so making us lights to draw other people to Jesus the light.I comprehend the concept , yet am not often enough aware to be the light in a situation and fail to be that light in a dark situation.e

John the Baptist was killed by being beheaded for standing up and the king and his wife their marriage was sinful.

Q2. (John 1:7-8) What did it mean that John was sent to "testify" to the light? In what sense are you put here with the purpose of "testifying" to the light? How are you doing in this regard? What happened to John the Baptist? What might happen to you if you testify clearly? What might happen to the people to whom you testify ?

when it says John was sent to testify of the light , it means that  John was ahead to teach the people living at that  time who  Jesus was.   

That Jesus was sent to destroy the darkness satan  had dispersed on the earth  which was sin in the people and the world.  Jesus would be

the one God sent to show people how to repent and turn from sin and choose to live lives that led others to want to follow Jesus's teachings.

I understand what must be done to show His light to others, yet do not do it consistently. I am a weak & inconsistent witness.

John the baptist was killed / beheaded for witnessing plainly. Depending on where you live in the world today we may have consequences from

witnessing openly and plainly . these may range from verbal repremands to death in some countries.

What does it mean to testify?
In my mind it means to tell people about what you believe, to show people through the way you live your life, and to be ready to be put down and argued against for your beliefs.
In my safe world it is unlikely that I will ever be called upon to have to make a choice between Jesus and my life.
I'm probably not doing very well as far as testifying is concerned if you count numbers, but I'm working hard with one person at the moment and I know that in the past my willingness to talk about my faith has brought others to believing.
May it ever be so.

The meaning of John was sent to “testify” to the light is that will tell the people about Jesus and the great things that He will do. The sense that I am put here to “testify” to the light is that I am supposed to tell those to know Jesus and if they believe in him they can get into heaven. As for how I am doing in that regard is some days are good and other are bad.

John the Baptist was beheaded because he was telling the truth. The thing that could happen to me in this country is that some way or another he government will try to silence me. They will tell me that I am not being politically correct to talk about my faith.

The people that I testify to might just get the seed planted and somebody else may bring them to Jesus Christ or I might be the one that gets to do that great deed.

Q2. (John 1:7-8) What did it mean that John was sent to “testify” to the light? In what sense are you put here with the purpose of “testifying” to the light? How are you doing in this regard? What happened to John the Baptist? What might happen to you if you testify clearly? What might happen to the people to whom you testify?

That John was sent to testify to the light means that John's ministry was to tell and point the people of his day to the One who is the "light".   The "Light" that Jesus brings is the glory of God, the light which destroys darkness. Christ's light represents and brings life. I am put here, at this time, to do as John did to tell and to point people, who are in my domain that Jesus is the Light of the World. The world will know of this testimony through the words that I preach and teach and demonstrated in my life. John the Baptist because of his testimony to the "Light" was beheaded.  As the children of God continue to testify of Jesus the "light" we are also positioned to be persecuted and to suffer for preaching Christ to sinners.

• 2 weeks later...

John was sent as one of three witnesses to God's work through the Christ (the others being God the Father and God the Holy Spirit) who testified at Jesus baptism. John the Baptist drew attention to Jesus. He was clearly a well known person in his day drawing huge crowds. His opinion mattered too - even to the ruler Herod who was so bothered by John's opinion that he had him killed-clearly he carried some influence.

We as Christians also need to testify as to who Jesus is as everyone needs to know Him to be made right with God. I struggle to do this effectively as I feel people have a real prejudice against Christ today. But then I also think I could be bolder.

John was killed because of his position and opinion of Herod. He had this position and his convictions because of who he was and what his job was. It is unlikely I would be killed if I testified clearly - though I would definitely be challenged, probably ridiculed and ultimately shunned by many in mainstream society. The people I testify to however could meet Jesus and be saved.

Q2. (John 1:7-8)

John 1:7  The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
John 1:8  He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.

What did it mean that John was sent to "testify" to the light?

We learn from the Apostle John that John the Baptist:

• Is sent from God.
  • Is a witness to testify regarding Jesus the Light.

a.)John is sent to tell everyone that whosoever believe in Jesus Christ, will not perish but will have an everlasting life.

John 3:15  That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
John 3:16  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

b.)John is to tell that the dark days or blindness is over because Jesus will open our eyes.

c.)Having the light means having the understanding. Meaning Jesus Christ will give you the understanding that we have sinned and through Christ there is pardon.

In what sense are you put here with the purpose of "testifying" to the light?

God have put the purpose in my heart to tell the world that Jesus is the Light. Meaning Jesus is the Saviour. Having the Light is knowing that

a.)"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God" -Romans 3:23

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. -Romans 6:23

b.)  But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.-Romans 5:8

c.) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life -John 3:16

How are you doing in this regard?

Christ is the real soul winner and we are the instrument. By the grace of God I am being used by the Lord to be a witness of the Light.

What happened to John the Baptist?

John the Baptist witness to many souls about the Light and many believed and were baptised and were saved. He was imprisoned for rebuking king Herod and later on beheaded.

What might happen to you if you testify clearly?

I can be a tool of God to testify to the Light and may win many souls

What might happen to the people to whom you testify?

lost souls might be save which is the primary purpose of God why John was sent.

• 4 weeks later...

Q2. (John 1:7-8) What did it mean that John was sent to "testify" to the light? In what sense are you put here with the purpose of "testifying" to the light? How are you doing in this regard? What happened to John the Baptist? What might happen to you if you testify clearly? What might happen to the people to whom you testify?

John the Baptist was using water and words; if we were on a mission trip to another country, we might get to baptize someone. Not being ordained, I have not been offered to baptize.What I have learned is that my testimony needs to be short and oh so sweet how Jesus has changed my life. Because it is all about knowing the person you are testifying to. It is not about us, except to explain the miracle of transformed hearts. It is good to throw out little flags of faith in speaking to some one. This can disclose if the person is saved, curious, or indifferent. It is all about what you say to them and how, only this and the work of the holy spirit.

John was here on earth to proclaim all he knew and had seen about the Light i.e Christ.

Jesus Christ said that we are to be His witness whereever we have found ourselves. (Acts 1:8). We therefore have similar purpose/mission like John.

Pretty Well but not very satisfactory. I need to do more.

John the Baptist was hated, persecuted, imprisoned and finally killed because of his convictions and testimony.

Hun! Similar fate but Christ already exhorted me not to be afraid of those who can kill the flesh but not the spirit.

They may believe Jesus and change or not.

Jesus is the true light , he helps us see our way to God and shows us how to work along that way. Jesus has chosen to reflect his light through his followers to unbelieving world. the word witness indicates our role as reflectors of Christ's light. We are never to present ourselves as light to others but to point them to point Christ the light.

• 4 weeks later...

What it means that John was sent to "testify" to the light is, he was to be a witness for the ministry of Jesus.

We are put here with the purpose of "testifying to the light in the sense we are to share our faith with those that don't know Christ.

Have to admit I don't share my faith as much as I should. I know I need to do better.

What happened to John the Baptist is, he was arrested and imprisoned by Herod Antipas. John had rebuked Herod for committing adultery and incest. Later John was beheaded.

What happens if I testify clearly is, I will probably face rejection and ridicule. Or else, I might get to led someone to Christ.

What happens to the people to whom I testify is 1) they accept Christ or 2) they reject the gospel outright or 3) I plant a seed and somewhere along the way someone else leads them to Christ.

• 3 weeks later...

John was not the light, he came to testify to the light, that Jesus was the light, and that he was a precursor to Jesus. As a Deacon in the church I am also called to represent the light, to inform the world of the light, and that the light is Jesus Christ, our savior. I am preaching and I am leading sessions in the church on various issues, specifically the next 5 sessions are on the healing ministry of Jesus and how we continue to use the healing ministry of Jesus in the church today, that we are commissioned by Christ to heal. John was killed not because of his testifying to the light, but because he accused Harod of adultry. I may be persecuted as well, or at least shuned by those that do no want to hear of Christ, but thanks be to God in our country here int he good ole USofA, we don't have to worry about being killed or our faith. And I pray that to those I testify they will receive the word and carry on with their own testimonies.  That is our Baptismal mission in life.

• 1 month later...

John was sent to tell of the coming of Jesus. He was to be a fore runner in changing the hearts of the people. He was bringing the ideas of injustice, of spiritual emptiness, of corruption of the religious leaders at the time.

I am to live my life as an example of the ways of Christ and His teachings. I am to share my beliefs in Christ with those around me. I am to help people understand the mistakes they are making in their lives and how to find salvation in God. I am to help them to repent their sins.

I am teaching bible study classes in my church. I try to help people with their problems as a Christian Counselor.

John the Baptist was put into prison and killed for his beliefs and teachings. This might happen to me or others if we offend the wrong people or our government out laws Christianity for a government controlled religion.

• 1 month later...

John was sent to prepare the way for Jesus & to confirm that Jesus is the Son of God.

We are to spread the word of God & to tell our story, displaying the life of Christ in our action, thoughts & deeds so that others will come to God,

John was beheaded, Satan will try to sidetrack & discredit us because he does not want people coming to God. The people we witness to may come to God and be saved.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (John 1:7-8) What did it mean that John was sent to "testify" to the light?

He was to speak up about who the light is.

In what sense are you put here with the purpose of "testifying" to the light?

I should agree about who He is.

How are you doing in this regard?

I am trying to show the people by the way I work who Jesus is.

What happened to John the Baptist?

He came as a witness.

He came to testify about the light.

What might happen to you if you testify clearly?

the people watch you very carefully

What might happen to the people to whom you testify?

I am hoping and praying that some might want to come out of the darkness and into the light and get saved.

• 2 weeks later...

John (the Baptizer) was sent to bear witness to the coming of Jesus, he was to testify to the light, not to be the light.  John preached “repent; the kingdom of heaven is near”.  Our sin is the reason for darkness in our souls.  John said that there would be a Light that would come and that he was sent as a witness to call attention to it.  Christ Jesus is the true Light and it’s His Spirit and grace that lights our path to salvation. 

I believe my purpose for being here is to seek God’s truth and to help others do the same.  When we live in sin our souls are dim and out of focus but as we grow closer to God all things will eventually be revealed through the light of His grace.  I want everyone to know that His Spirit and His Light is within reach and all we have to do is seek it out.  

How am I doing with that?  Some days are good, others not so much but I always try to put forth the effort to touch one person every day.  John was beheaded and although I don’t currently face that end, I do feel persecution at times but that’s small potatoes; Jesus, John the Baptist, Stephen and a whole host of others gave their all. 

My hope is that for every 20 people that I witness to I can reach just one.  Of course the goal would be to reach them all but one soul won for Christ is a major victory.

John came to witness and testify of the light so all man can believe in the one coming after

after him. The purpose for me being here is to witness and testify of our Christ who died for everyone. If you can't receive the Good message in your heart, there is one other place to go and most people don't want to there. John was killed because he refuse to stop testifying to Christ. Testifying about Christ is never easy because you don't know what type of person to come in contact with. Don't worry about that because Jesus Christ is the head of my life. I always try to let God be in the driver's seat and i am the passenger. His way is never wrong!

Q2. (John 1:7-8) What did it mean that John was sent to “testify” to the light? In what sense are you put here with the purpose of “testifying” to the light? How are you doing in this regard? What happened to John the Baptist? What might happen to you if you testify clearly? What might happen to the people to whom you testify?

John was born to testify to the glory of God through the coming of Jesus Christ. Jesus is known as the "light" of the world because, as the Son of God, He brings the "God's glory" to the world. Jesus represents all that is good, "God" and the hope of living in the Kingdom of God at the end of the age. Light attracts light, good attracts good, love attracts love, God attracts Godly. The problem is at the time, people were not encouraged to be or look for any of these things. The Pharisees and Sadducees were not doing their jobs. They were instead, arrogant and self-serving. We had to be saved, and only Christ could do this.

We are to testify to the existence of God through Christ. By showing our faith in God and Jesus Christ, that the Bible is the true journal of our existence and how to live according to the commandments, we can testify to others of Jesus (the light) and the coming of the Kingdom of God (the good news).

I am not as strong in this as I should be, due to a long illness. But God is strengthening me. God as never left me. He has been with me since childhood. I am returning to the person I use to be through the power of God. I am doing acts of kindness and started a family Bible Study in an attempt to cultivate small vines and planting seed in my family. I expect to grow as I heal and strengthen. The more we suffer and love and help others, the closer we get to God.

John the Baptist was very bold and passionate in his duties to open the minds and hearts of the people to Christ. But the time came when Jesus appeared on the scene and John had to dim his ministry so Christ could shine and begin His ministry. John was put into prison for his passion for Christ and eventually beheaded. He was taken out of the picture but his passion was never forgotten. He testifies to us today through God's Word.

If we are successful in our duties to God, we and those who choose to be committed to God through the strength and words He gives us, have the hope of being named in the Book of Life and entering the Kingdom of God at the end of the age and spending eternity with God and Christ. What a wonderful day that will be!