JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Testifying to the Light

Q2. (John 1:7-8) 
What did it mean that John was sent to "testify" to the light? 
In what sense are you put here with the purpose of "testifying" to the light? 
How are you doing in this regard? 
What happened to John the Baptist? 
What might happen to you if you testify clearly? 
What might happen to the people to whom you testify?
John’s mission was to announce the coming of Christ and to tell them that Jesus was truly the Light of the world - the Son of God. By witnessing we are to reflect the Light of Jesus and in so doing point them to Jesus, and have them ultimately respond in faith and repentance – placing their faith in our Lord Jesus. In all honesty, I’m ashamed to say that I feel l I could have served the Lord better. Like John, we are to make sure that as stated in John 3:30, ‘He (Jesus) must become greater; I must become less.’ So, if we testify clearly, our lives will become a testimony for our Lord. And, hopefully those to whom we testify will come to accept our Lord Jesus as their Saviour. 
John was sent to testify the coming of Jesus! Jesus is the light of the world.  He made the way for Jesus to enter. We as Christians are disciples and our purpose is to continue to doe the work Jesus did and more.  We must take the gospel to all the earth by teaching and ministering the Word of God. I have cell group in my home and I also minister on the mission field.  John the Baptise was beheaded! doing the work of the Lord I may face trouble and tribulation.  Hope they give their life to the Lord, and continue to walk in the light.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John the Baptise came to make the way for Jesus to come in as the light of the world, he announce the coming of Jesus. My purpose is to testify about Jesus witness to others about him as a Christian I must walk in the light. I teach the Bible class, and also minister the Word.  John the Baptise was beheaded.  By testifying about Jesus I might encounter all sort of perception and tribulation. The people I testify to I hope they come to know salvation and receive Jesus Christ as their person savior.

• 1 month later...

Jesus was the Light ad John the Baptist was the lamp that bore witness to the Light. Now, we are the lamp to bear witness and spread the gospel to the world.  We are to point unbelievers to Christ the Light.  John the Baptist was beheaded because he condemned the incestuous marriage of Galilee’s ruler, Herod Antipas.  We too can be condemned for speaking the truth about Jesus Christ. Missionaries around the world are in constant danger for teaching God’s word. This should not stop us from spreading the good news of Jesus Christ so others can be saved.

John the Baptist prophesied and told of Jesus. He told the people that Jesus was coming and who he was. We are here to witness of Jesus so that others can be saved and restored to God. I testify in street ministry, ministry to women in shelters, plus I testify with my life, walk, and talk and by living by the Word the best I can. John the Baptist was imprisoned and beheaded. When we testify clearly some people accept and some reject being saved. Sometimes people are very rejecting of God in not a nice way but we are not being improsoned or murdered by witnessing. One thing that happens is the joy for us for our obedience. People could be saved and restored to God, and also the Word says that one plants, one waters but God gives the increase. So at that time we may be a planter or a waterer and rejection or passive non acceptance is ok. We are doing as Jesus told us to be witness of him and compel men to come to Christ.

Q2. (John 1:7-8) What did it mean that John was sent to “testify” to the light? John the Baptist was sent by God to point people to Jesus,

In what sense are you put here with the purpose of “testifying” to the light? to show others Jesus, so they can receive the light 

How are you doing in this regard? my life, my words, actions indifferent and difficult times ,and showing the love of the Lord

What happened to John the Baptist? killed

What might happen to you if you testify clearly? What might happen to the people to whom you testify? possibly the same

John was to be with Jesus to see all He was doing and teaching. John would go out and teach what Jesus taught and did. Testify means to see someone do or hear them say something. Jesus is the light and that's what John taught. John was a prophet. John was told about in the Old Testament of 2hat he would dojohn wanted people to believe in Jesus. I don't do as well as I should. I could do better. John was eventually beheaded end died. The same as John, die.

• 2 months later...

What did it mean that John was sent to "testify" to the light?

John was a witness to what the light is and what it can do in the life of those that would receive the light.

To my shame I'm not always the witness the light to an un believing world that I should be,I need to remember the purpose for our lives is to be John the Baptist .

John was killed for speaking truth.

We also can inqure abuse ridicule for speaking truth who knows maybe one day if things continue the way they are even be put in jail for truth Gods truth.

• 1 year later...

Q2. (John 1:7-8) What did it mean that John was sent to "testify" to the light? In what sense are you put here with the purpose of "testifying" to the light? How are you doing in this regard? What happened to John the Baptist? What might happen to you if you testify clearly? What might happen to the people to whom you testify?

To testify means to give proof of something. John the Baptist was chosen to prepare the way for the Messiah by preaching repentance and baptism. Jesus is the "Light". All are placed on this earth to accept Jesus, the Light, as our savior and in so doing be witnesses for salvation in Jesus. Being a witness is not easy, not something everyone wants to hear. Being a Christian today is not always...let's just say respected. John the Baptist spoke the truth and the king's wife did not appreciate the truth. Because of this John was beheaded. Testifying to the truth can cause extreme emotions in others. Many do not want to hear the truth of the Light. Hopefully my testimony can lead some to salvation. 

• 4 months later...

Q2. (John 1:7-8) What did it mean that John was sent to "testify" to the light? In what sense are you put here with the purpose of "testifying" to the light? How are you doing in this regard? What happened to John the Baptist? What might happen to you if you testify clearly? What might happen to the people to whom you testify?

He was a forerunner – Elijah – that was preparing the way for Christ the Light. He gave witness, or testified, that Jesus was the Messiah and he announced He had indeed come as the Light of mankind.

Am I shining brightly for the Lord and thereby pointing those who will listen to Him? This is my desire. What is distracting me from this calling? This is really basic stuff that I need to keep remembering and obeying. Lord please help me not to be dull and because of this not to be able to reflect your light.

Could I face severe persecution like John did?  I will undoubtedly face opposition. At present it is nowhere near as severe as the opposition that John the baptiser faced.

Can I expect to be filled with power to witness like John was? Yes I beliove so.

Luk 11:13  If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

Eph 5:18  And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit,

Act_1:8  but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth."

Mat_28:19; Mar_16:15; Luk_24:46-49; Joh_15:27

Can I expect to see people repenting and turning to God?

Yes I believe so.  It is not the human vessel that brings repentance it is the conviction of sin brought by the Holy Spirit. God will give the gift of repentance to those with open hearts.

• 9 months later...

For me personally, I am still working on the best way of “testifying” to the light (Jesus Christ). In short I have given all my talents and energy to following the example of Jesus (the living word of God). In a nutshell it comes down to loving God, giving praise and thanks to God and loving others as set down by the teachings of Jesus Christ.

On a scale of 1-10 I think I would score an average of around 7.5.  I am still attached to worldly distractions and this causes me to wander about wasting precious time knowing that my rewards are only short-lived. Slowly I am eliminating the drives that hold me back. 

Regrettably John was becoming a rabble-rouser in the eyes of King Herod. The religious leaders of his time also were suspicious of John’s motives. 

It was when he was outspoken and brought public humiliation to King Herod he was imprisoned and later be-headed. The fact that none of the religious leaders protested and there were no public demonstrations recorded in the Gospels his execution was probably done is secret. There is also no mention of John’s burial or of any reprisals by his followers. I am guessing that his parents may have already died before his execution.

However, John knew that his life was not in vain because Jesus did send one of John’s followers to visit him in prison to validate his faithfulness to the will of God and to reassure John that indeed the Messiah had arrived.

Now when John heard in prison about the deeds of the Christ, he sent word by his disciples and said to him, “Are you he who is to come, or shall we look for another?”[a] And Jesus answered them, “Go and tell John what you hear and see: the blind receive their sight and the lame walk, lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear, and the dead are raised up, and the poor have good news preached to them. And blessed is he who takes no offense at me.”

As they went away, Jesus began to speak to the crowds concerning John: “What did you go out into the wilderness to behold? A reed shaken by the wind? Why then did you go out? To see a manclothed in soft raiment? Behold, those who wear soft raiment are in kings’ houses. Why then did you go out? To see a prophet?Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. 10 This is he of whom it is written,

‘Behold, I send my messenger before thy face,who shall prepare thy way before thee.11 Truly, I say to you, among those born of women there has risen no one greater than John the Baptist; yet he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. 12 From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven has suffered violence, and men of violence take it by force. 13 For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John; 14 and if you are willing to accept it, he is Elijah who is to come. 15 He who has ears to hear, let him hear. (Matthew 11: 7-15 (RSVCE)

Firstly, I have no plans to find a local river and start baptizing people :). Secondly, I will stay clear of politics and not gain the adverse attention of Kings or Presidents and the like :)

I will go about being kindhearted and when the opportunity presents itself demonstrate the virtues of what it is to be a Christian.

This depends where you are living. On a macro level there are still places in the world where Christians are being marginalized and treated badly by dominant alternative religions. However, I have had personal experience on the micro-level while living in a foreign country as an outsider. I always fond goodness and kindness coming from the everyday person I met. It is based on commonsense and respect in the majority of encounters. A display of humility on both sides is always a good starting point and can break down barriers. Compassion is another strong virtue to have when meeting a new culture for the first time.

I would like to share a prayer that I often sing with my guitar. A nun Saint Teresa of Avila wrote it. Teresa of Avila (1515–1582) Christ Has No Body

“Christ has no body now but yours. No hands, no feet on earth but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses all the world. Yours are the hands, yours are the feet, yours are the eyes, you are his body. Christ has no body now on earth but yours.”

I think this sums up the meaning of ‘testifying’ very well.

Edited by Paul Hodge
add new material

• 2 months later...

John was a forerunner who was commissioned by God to announce the coming of Jesus in fulfillment of OT prophecies. He bore witness about the light.  

We also have been commissioned by God to share and bear witness to our co-travelers about the “Good News” concerning about Jesus.

As with John the Baptist we are sure to experience opposition to the message about the light that came into the world. On the other hand, there are many people who will embrace the message, and be very thankful that we shared it with them. I am so glad that people prayed for me and took the trouble to share the message about Jesus “The light of the World”.

John was sent to “testify” that Jesus was the light and He is the one that will save them. We were sent to give other our testimony so that they might be able to see the light and turn to Jesus. Jesus told us to go into the world and make disciples. Sometimes I do well at this and other time not so good. John the Baptist was beheaded because he was showing to much light and the civic leaders didn’t like what he was saying. In the Unites States we won’t lose our lives but we will be Oster sized. When we testify to others hopefully they will see the light and turn their lives over to God.

• 3 months later...

What did it mean that John was sent to "testify" to the light?  John was sent to declare the coming of the messiah, Jesus.

In what sense are you put here with the purpose of "testifying" to the light?  I was put here on earth to spread the Good News of the Gospel and to live out my life as mirror of Christ and his love for us.

How are you doing in this regard?  Not so well. I have never told people about Jesus, I just read the bible and go to church.  I want to change this

What happened to John the Baptist? John was beheaded for speaking the truth.

What might happen to you if you testify clearly?  I might lose friends, be called names, made fun of, lose my job, gain favor from heaven and change my life.  I would be living for God without compromise or concern for myself

What might happen to the people to whom you testify? They will either reject the message or accept it. 

• 4 months later...

Q2. (John 1:7-8) What did it mean that John was sent to "testify" to the light? In what sense are you put here with the purpose of "testifying" to the light? How  are you doing in this regard? What happened to John the Baptist? What might happen to you if you testify clearly? What might happen to the people to whom you testify?

John testified that Jesus is the true light - the true teacher of the way to the kingdom of glory, and the lamb or sacrifice of God, which was to bear away the sin of the world, John 1:29, and invited men to believe in him for the remission of their sins, that they may receive the baptism of the Holy Ghost, John 1:32-34. This was the most direct  witness to the light which was now shining in the dark wilderness of Judea; and, from thence; over the whole world. 

I have been given a ministry by the Lord where I work directly with other religions that don't worship our God. I work with them to show them the truth of the Bible and how their religion is false. I do it through a study of the Scripture and studying their religions by apologetics. I come to know their religion fully also through knowing people who came out of it and tell about it in my ministry. 

I am doing the best I can in my limited means.

He died and went to glory.

As Paul stated to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.

They may or may not come to Christ it all depends on the Holy Ghost's work.

• 5 months later...

Q2. (John 1:7-8) What did it mean that John was sent to “testify” to the light? In what sense are you put here with the purpose of “testifying” to the light? How are you doing in this regard? What happened to John the Baptist? What might happen to you if you testify clearly? What might happen to the people to whom you testify?

In the book of Malachi we read that someone would be coming to prepare the way of the Lord. The angel, when he appeared before Zechariah says that his son would come in the spirit and power of Elijah and that he would be heralding the coming of the Messiah. That’s what John the Baptist did. He was preaching that they should repent and turn back to the Lord. John came preparing the way of the Lord. According to Jesus, John the Baptist was the greatest man to have born until that time. God entrusts the greatest task of bearing witness to the light, to the greatest man who lived until then. John existed to point to the light which neither the world could comprehend nor the darkness could extinguish. He was a witness which is a technical term. It means to testify to the truth and tell of what one has seen and heard in the court of law. John came into the world to testify of who Jesus really was.

When we testify to the light, we are stepping out of the darkness. The more we draw closer to him, the brighter our reflection of the light will be to the world. Just as John the Baptist was a witness of the light and testified of it, we too are to testify, that is tell the truth of what we have seen and heard and thus magnify the Lord through our lives.

I have used the opportunities that came across to magnify the Lord and to testify of His goodness.

John the Baptist was beheaded for his witness, even though he testified at a time when the Messianic expectation was at its peak during the time of John. Yet when John preached they rejected the Lord and did not want to step out of darkness and step into the light of the Son.

We need His grace to stand strong with courage in spite of whatever comes across. Only the Holy Spirit will give us the boldness to testify boldly of His salvation. The ones to whom we testify may either accept the testimony or reject it.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (John 1:7-8) What did it mean that John was sent to "testify" to the light? He pointed people to Jesus. 

In what sense are you put here with the purpose of "testifying" to the light? We should point people to Jesus.  In John 1:35, John directed two of the disciples to Jesus.  They followed Jesus.  Jesus asked what they wanted.  They asked Jesus where He was staying.  Jesus said, 'Come and see.'  In John 1:43, Jesus called Philip to follow Him.  Philip then told Nathaniel about Jesus.  Nathaniel asked if anything good could come out of Nazareth.  Philip said 'Come and see.'  Philip took Nathaniel to Jesus.  In John 4:29, the woman at the well told the people of the town, 'Come and see a man who told me everything I ever did.  Could this be the Messiah?'  The woman at the well evangelized an entire town simply by giving her brief testimony of her encounter with Jesus and then inviting them to Come and see Him for themselves

How are you doing in this regard?  Right now not very well.  This bible study is helping me to get back to the simplicty of Christ in order to do this.  

What happened to John the Baptist? He got his head chopped off.  What might happen to you if you testify clearly? One time a man told me and another woman that he was supposed to be our head.  If we didn't make him our head God would never give us another one.  As I prayed, God gave me the scripture where John the Baptist had His head chopped off.  Jesus told me, If you get your head chopped off it's not a problem.  You have another head.  I am your head.  That man was not amused by that.  One thing that stops evangelization is our submission to man.  If the woman at the well would have submitted to the religious leaders or even the disciples she would have never evangelized an entire town.  I made a tragic mistake and submitted to a pastor and saw the Holy Spirit go into the earth of my heart.   K lost many years and much money because of this mistake. 

What might happen to the people to whom you testify? Hopefully they will accept the invitation to Come and see Jesus.  

• 7 months later...

Q2. (John 1:7-8) What did it mean that John was sent to "testify" to the light?

1. It means that He came to tell us about the Light so as to make it easy for us to believe in the coming of Jesus the Light.
  2. In what sense are you put here with the purpose of "testifying" to the light? I am put here for the purpose of reflecting, as Christ’s Ambassador, His light so that people may see and be attracted to my way of life, and as Evangelizer, I can point them to Jesus, the true Light.
  3. How are you doing in this regard? I believe I am doing minimally, confining my efforts to my family and friends on social media.  
  4. What happened to John the Baptist? He was imprisoned and later beheaded.
  5. What might happen to you if you testify clearly? Some people might dislike my testimony and be angry and I might lose “love” and “friendship”.
  6. What might happen to the people to whom you testify? They might see the Light, and embrace it by allowing Jesus into their hearts.

• 2 months later...

The meaning of the word "testify" is to proclaim and defend the truth that Jesus is the Son of God. He is Lamb of God, who will take the sins of the world.

John the Baptist was boldly proclaiming the truth about the true identity of Jesus and to the point that he was beheaded. He was considered as one of the early martyrs, where we get the root word to testify.

We need to follow the example of John the Baptist by proclaiming to the world that Jesus is the Messiah, the Savior of the world. The world may persecute or ridiculed us by testifying about Jesus, but we must not lose heart because Jesus has already overcome the world. It is the light and truth of Jesus will prevail in the end.

Q2. (John 1:7-8) What did it mean that John was sent to “testify” to the light?

• Because it was a legal term, a credible person was needed to testify of the validity of someone's person, story, character, etc
  • John gave legal witness to the ministry of Jesus

In what sense are you put here with the purpose of “testifying” to the light?

• Jesus light shined into the darkness of my life and gave me freedom from the power of the enemy
  • As a believer today, my life continues to be a witness as I let the light of Christ's life live in and through me
  • Every time I do something/anything that glorifies Him, I am testifying about His light in my life

• The best "witnesses" to that are the people who know me: my wife, children, friends, etc.
  • I believe they would testify that I have lived my life faithfully unto God

• He was beheaded from his stance on telling the truth without any fear

• I risk persecution from a world that lives in darkness

• My hope is that they will see the light of Christ in me, repent, and turn to Christ and become His disciple

• 3 months later...

I am Lousand1, a new member of this bible study. I think we are all in John the Baptist's shoes. We are here to testify of the Light, Jesus Christ. Fortunately we are not in the same delimna as John the Bapist, in that we are not in danger of speaking what we believe. God gies us different means of sharing the Good News. I pray that we will all be faithful in sharing the goodness and life of Jesus.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

What did it mean that John was sent to “testify” to the light? In what sense are you put here with the purpose of “testifying” to the light? How are you doing in this regard? What happened to John the Baptist? What might happen to you if you testify clearly? What might happen to the people to whom you testify?

John the Baptist was sent, by God, to tell people about the light and pave the way for Christ ministry. So mankind could to receive the light. John was imprisoned and beheaded. As Christians we are to be like a beacon on a hill so others can see the light. We are to spread the Good News. If I testify clearly and share the Good News others might come to know Christ. I do not do this well.

• 2 months later...

John the Baptist testified to the Light by preaching three-fold message: preaching is part of prophecy (1Corinthians 14:3). He preached repentence, kingdom of God at hand and prophecy. He made it known that all men would believe in Christ.

We testify to the Light.  We are lights of divinity in the kosmos, the social system of men.  We are let our light shine before men by our good works so that would give God the glory.

Currently I am an outdoor preacher.  Underneath the open sky, by God's grace, openly evangelize in midtown Manhattan.   It is worship time for me when I am out there.  No entertainment.   

John the Baptist was a martyr.   We must keep that in mind.  Many Christians in Egypt and in Mideast recently won their martyr crowns.  God may call me to become a martyr here on earth.  I love Revelation 19:10, "..for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy". Like Noah, I am busy with the work of the Lord.  In NYC, people are of a cynical nature; still I will proclaim that Christ Himself is the chief manifestation of God's light to men .

• 9 months later...

(John 1:7-8) What did it mean that John was sent to "testify" to the light?

John was sent on ahead of Christ, to make mankind aware of this Light, which was to expose the darkness and if allowed would overcome the darkness in each individual who accepted this Light. 

Those of us who have accepted Christ, i. e., who have accepted this Light, are also to reflect that Light in our lives, so darkness too is overcome in our lives. This Light is to be seen in our life. 

John the Baptist spoke the truth and was imprisoned because of it and eventually was beheaded. He endured persecution because of testifying about the Light. 

Persecution on one hand and acceptance of the message by others. 

They too could expect persecutions. 

• 10 months later...

Q2. (John 1:7-8) What did it mean that John was sent to "testify" to the light? In what sense are you put here with the purpose of "testifying" to the light? How are you doing in this regard? What happened to John the Baptist? What might happen to you if you testify clearly? What might happen to the people to whom you testify?

John  the Baptist mission is to prepare the Israel  through baptism to the coming Christ and  testify to  light means  not only preaching Jesus is a savior but  including Christian life.
But  Jesus said to his disciple,  ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. generally the church mission is to testify  Jesus.

To some extent I try to testify to unbeliever about Jesus , as he is the only savior no other way to come to God except by him but my prayer is always to become his witness.

It is clear that this world is not accept Jesus and me too because I am  the light of the world , so that world hate me as they did to Jesus, John Baptist , apostles and prophets.

when  gospel is preached to someone  and repent he receive  Everlasting life , no condemnation. , no second death.