JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. (John 1:29)

John 1:29 (KJV)
29  The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

What does the title "Lamb of God" tell us about Jesus' ministry?

Behold the Lamb of God. A lamb, among the Jews, was killed and eaten at the Passover to commemorate their deliverance from Egypt, Exodus 12:3-11. A lamb was offered in the tabernacle, and afterward in the temple, every morning and evening, as a part of the daily worship, Exodus 29:38,39. The Messiah was predicted as a lamb led to the slaughter, to show his patience in his sufferings, and readiness to die for man, Isaiah 53:7. A lamb, among the Jews, was also an emblem of patience, meekness, gentleness. On all these accounts, rather than on any one of them alone, Jesus was called the Lamb. He was innocent (1 Peter 2:23-25); he was a sacrifice for sin-the substance represented by the daily offering of the lamb, and slain at the usual time of the evening sacrifice (Luke 23:44-46); and he was what was represented by the Passover, turning away the anger of God, and saving sinners by his blood from vengeance and eternal death, 1 Corinthians 5:7

According to 1:29, whose sins did he come to take away?

Which taketh away. This denotes his bearing the sins of the world, or the sufferings which made an atonement for sin. Comp. Isaiah 53:4, 1 John 3:5, 1 Peter 2:24. He takes away sin by bearing in his own body the sufferings which God appointed to show his sense of the evil of sin, thus magnifying the law, and rendering it consistent for him to pardon. Romans 3:24, Romans 3:25.

In what ways did Jesus fulfill Isaiah 53?

When he died in agony on the cross of Calvary.

Isa 53:5  But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
Isa 53:6  All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
Isa 53:7  He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

Isa 53:12  Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

• 3 weeks later...

The genitive case applied to "of God" could not only suggest "from God" or "owned by God" but more likely describes that the Lamb "is God."  From the beginning God planned to love us in such a way as to offer Himself in sacrifice for the sins of the world.

He became our Immanuel in the flesh so that our trusting in Him as King would let His shed blood atone for our sins.  Oh, how amazing is our God that in Christ Jesus He would show us His love here on earth!  How beyond comprehension is it that God who is Spirit would demonstrate and reveal Himself in all His glory with a Voice from the heavens, a vision of One like a dove resting on Himself as a person in the flesh, and being a Person in the flesh that could be seen, heard, handled, wept with, laughed with, crucified (sacrificed), and risen, etc.  Our God is satisfied for His holiness and righteousness by His own love and appearance.

How mind-boggling is it that in Christ we now come before the judgment seat with the Judge and our Defense Attorney being the same.  Being baptized into Christ and His death, we are now "seen" in Him and have His righteousness imputed to us.  Oh, what grace and mercy!  All done by God Himself on our behalf and not because of any worth on our part.  Yes, just to trust Him!

Q4. (John 1:29) What does the title "Lamb of God" tell us about Jesus' ministry? According to 1:29, whose sins did he come to take away? In what ways did Jesus fulfill Isaiah 53?

The lamb/Jesus is killed for atonement of all our sins, all people who ever lived on this earth and who will live here until He returns. We are all sinners, don't deserve this, thanks God for His love and mercy. We thank him deeply today on Lord's day Nov 23 1014, and with the right attitude and spiritual connection, we/I will surrender as a sinner every day, and as need be every moment when I notice my sin.

He paid it all, in fulfilling Isaiah 53; we an never repay, just do our best to obey and meditate on His wonders to help us through the moments of the day.

Praise God for His Grae, Love an Mercy

• 3 weeks later...

What the title "Lamb of God" tells us about Jesus' ministry is, He has come as a sacrificial lamb, to offer Himself as an atonement for our sins.

According to John 1:29, Jesus came to take away the sins of the world(humanity).

Jesus fulfilled Isaiah 53 by, being arrested, going through a mock trial, being beaten and whipped, being nailed open a cross and dying a cruel death.

• 2 months later...

The statement Lamb of God tells us that Jesus came in peace from the Father in heaven. His ministry was to be one of peaceful fulfillment of the Father's will and a loving guide to all who would listen to Him. Jesus came to take away the sins of the world. He is to be the salvation for all people not just the Jewish nation.

Jesus fulfilled Isaiah 53 in all the ways. He was nailed to the cross which meant that His flesh was pierced. His spirit was completely crushed by the events of the day. The wounds that He received were our saving grace. The blood that was poured ou of His body was in atonement for our sins.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Q4. (John 1:29) What does the title "Lamb of God" tell us about Jesus' ministry? According to 1:29, whose sins did he come to take away? In what ways did Jesus fulfill Isaiah 53?

1)  Under the Law of Moses, through the shedding of blood during animal sacrifice God used it as a way that justice could be done.  Through the body and the blood of the sacrificed animal, people’s sins could be atoned for and they could approach God once again.  In the same way, Jesus’ broken body and the sacred blood that was shed washes away our sin so that we can live our lives under his grace.

2)  The sins of the world.

3)  He fulfilled every one of Isaiah’s prophecies.

• 2 weeks later...

The "Lamb of God" means He was without any sin, He was pure. Plus He was born to die for the sins of the entire world. Everything Isaiah the prophet said came true in the life and ministry of Jesus Christ, the Lord laid on Him the iniquity of us all.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The lamb was the animal God damanded as a sin sacrifice. Jesus was the sacrifice for the sins of the world to atone for mankind. Jesus died on the cross for our sins.

• 1 year later...

I will trust in my Faith alone in my attempt to answer this question.  Dr Wilson has stated what the consensus is amongst theologians and contemporary scholars of bible studies on the meaning of this event.

Based on scripture in the Old Testament it was the norm to atone for one’s sins by ritually preparing a sacrificial lamb that was offered up to God. The blood of the Lamb was especially revered as being the only true source of atonement. In addition the lamb had to forego a close inspection by the priests for any blemish that would disqualify as unsuitable for sacrifice. The owner of the animal must also approach the priest with heartfelt repentance for his sin and freely give up the best of his flock.  Even if the priest could not see how genuine the sinner was God has the power to see if indeed a man has a contrite heart.

So when John describes the arrival of Jesus at the banks of the Jordon River, John the Baptist announced his coming, “Behold!  The Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!'" he was using profound the words that had significant meaning to those around him. Recall the importance of the Feast of the Passover in Judaism today.

I would like to give some thought to understanding what sin means to me.

There have been times when my inner peace and happiness has been contravened with periods of anxiety, guilt, depression and other psycho-spiritual nauseas. The root cause for feeling this way can always be traced back to a failure on my part to love God and my neighbour. I am also including the times I failed to do the right thing to correct a wrongdoing or turning a blind eye to an injustice being committed.

It would take time to recover my well-being but I was always amazed how prayer could hasten the process to being able to repent and do better next time. Once I truly felt remorse and had connected with the mercy of God I went on living with renewed hope that I could reform my ways.

But the real question is how we in present day give meaning and purpose to these same words.

I will refer to Hebrews 10:11-23. It is here we find how we freely offer up ourselves as a living sacrifice and to imitate the life of Jesus Christ.

19 Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body, 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and with the full assurance that faith brings, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. 23 Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. Hebrews 10: 19-23 (NIV)

Just as a sinner in the time of Christ would come to the temple to take his sacrifice into the Most Holy Place by walking through the curtain that divided God and man Jesus, the great priest over the house of God, is allowing anyone moved by a sincere and contrite heart to not only have their immediate sin/s forgiven but to have a life changing experience that has the power to take away sin – to have it totally absent in our lives.

The participate has to commit to presenting to God the best he/she has to offer and to do so in humility as Christ did during his agony in the garden before his death. It could mean we may have to "sweat blood".

Closing remarks: I have seen lambs in the pasture with their mother. I can feel empathy for how innocent and incorruptible they appear; so fresh and full of life. Their energy abounds as they run about.

Here are some references to scriptures that speak to the people of Jesus’ time about how God no longer wants animal sacrifice to atone sins.

PSALM 50:8; HOSEA 6:6; PSALM 51:16; PSALM 40:6–8; ISAIAH 1:11–31; JEREMIAH 7

Edited by Paul Hodge
add material

Q4. (John 1:29) What does the title "Lamb of God" tell us about Jesus' ministry?

Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.

Before I explain what the ‘Lamb of God’ means I would approach these words spoken by John the Baptist by giving a definition to the words ‘sin of the world’.

"Sin" is the common Greek noun harmartia. Originally it meant "to miss the mark, be mistaken." In the New Testament it occurs 173 times as a comprehensive expression of everything opposed to God.

Missing the mark simply means that when one attempts to behave a to high standard and ends only achieving second best then they are said to miss the mark.

As human beings, with a overpower attachment to the world, we have limitations that restrict us from living our lives in complete surrender to God’s will. Except for those who have extraordinary fortitude the majority of religious observers miss the mark.

This is not to say they have committed a ‘sin’ against God, it simply means they have to try harder to become stronger and wiser to overcome their shortcomings. Failure does not result in receiving harsh punishment but there are consequences that lessen our potential to find contentment.

Jesus Christ has come into human existence to show us how to live a life without sin i.e. to take away sin from our worldly existence and to avoid any behaviour that opposes God’s will. What is God’s will? God intends to include every person and every living creature to exist immersed in His divine love and mercy. We can call upon His mercy again and again when we miss the mark.

However, His mercy and love can only be channeled through us when we approach God, through Jesus Christ with humility accompanied with a heartfelt contrition and repentance. In other words we have to make ourselves a living sacrifice to God. That means forgoing our own will and freely giving ourselves over to doing God’s will. Not an easy task but is possible by following the example of His Son. He too was destined to sacrifice his life to do His Father’s will. That is the meaning behind the words, “Behold the Lamb Of God”.

It does not mean we are to be crucified in the literal sense but in a symbolic way we are asked to ‘die to self’. Let go of our ego and the futile attachments of the world to be in the presence of God.

Sin in the biblical sense is not the same as breaking a law – acts of stealing, murder and bearing false witness against your neighbor is breaking a manmade law and come with a penalty. 

Jesus Christ is asking us not to sin against God and to love our neighbour as ourselves thus avoiding harming one another.

Returning to the words attributed to John the Baptist, Jesus Christ is inviting us to “come follow me . . . my burden is light . . . come rest in me . . . I have not come to condemn”.

• 2 months later...

The title “Lamb of God” tells us that Jesus’ ministry is going to be one of sacrifice. Jesus came to take away the sins of the world. Jesus was crucified and they did all kinds of punishment to him after the Priests gave him to the gentiles which fulfilled what Isaiah 53 said.

The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, 'Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!'" (1:29)

That He was “the lamb of God’s providing”. 

Lamb of God’s providing

Lamb of Calvary

All sins claims were met in Thee

Grace and only grace I see

Lamb of God’s providing

Lamb of Calvary – S.E.Cox

God gave Him to us. He came to share God’s great love and to free us from the penalty of sin. The Lamb of God came to take away the sins of the world!

Like a lamb he was silent as he was lead to death. He was the perfect sacrificial lamb. The lamb of God i.e. the lamb that belongs to God and is sent by Him. Jesus is  His Lamb!

Gen 22.8 God provided Abraham with a lamb. A lamb for sacrifice in place of Isaac his beloved son. God provided His Son to be that lamb for sacrifice - in place of me and in place you!!

• 7 months later...

That God would provide a Lamb one day would take the sins of the world. And down through the years, godly Jews had waited for the coming for this Lamb. Now the Baptist triumphantly announced the arrival of the true Lamb of God. 
    When he said that Jesus bears the sin of the world, he did not mean that everyone’s sins are therefore forgiven. The death of Christ was great enough in value to pay for the sins of the whole world, but only those sinners who receive the Lord Jesus as Savior are forgiven. 
He fulfilled it completely. 

• 6 months later...

Q4. (John 1:29) What does the title “Lamb of God” tell us about Jesus’ ministry? According to 1:29, whose sins did he come to take away? In what ways did Jesus fulfill Isaiah 53?

The Jewish community were looking for a Messiah who would be the Lion of Judah, not the Lamb of God. A lamb isn’t an impressive animal. People don’t use a lamb to protect themselves. A lamb doesn’t exude strength. John was the son of a priest and priests sacrificed lambs in the temple. To say “Lamb of God” all the Jewish people would know what it means. He is the One who would be sacrificed for the sins of the whole world. So in saying “ the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world” John nails it perfectly. He is first and foremost a Lamb. Israel wanted a king; God gave them what they needed: a Lamb.

In Isaiah 53 where the suffering servant is portrayed as a lamb, it says that He will be led as a lamb before the slaughter who did not open its mouth. He was slaughtered for our sins. He was sinless, yet He took it upon Himself all our sins and paid the price that we couldn’t pay, so that we would be treated as Jesus was rightfully entitled to be treated.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (John 1:29) What does the title "Lamb of God" tell us about Jesus' ministry?

Jesus came to take away the sin of the world. 

According to 1:29, whose sins did he come to take away?  The sins of the world.  But I find it interesting that John 1:29 has a single 'sin' not plural 'sins.'  There was one sin in the beginning - eating of the tree of knowledge.  That separated us from God and brought death.  Jesus reconciled us to God through His cross and brought life.  Eternal life is knowing God and Jesus whom He sent.  We know Him in the breaking of the bread, the breaking of His flesh, the tearing of the veil.  The veil, His flesh, was torn in two on the cross so that we can know God.  I went through Restoring the Foundations.  God pulled the tree of knowledge ou t of my heart and showed me that He sees every person perfectly and beautiful because of the blood of Jesus.  God created Adam and Eve and said they were very good.  They were very good because God created them and covered them with the blood of the Lamb who was slain from the foundation of the world.  All God told them not to do was eat of the tree of knowledge.  When they did, they no longer saw themselves as good and hid in shame and fear from God.  They were separated from God which is death.  They believed the lie of the enemy not the truth of God.  The same is true today.  Many do not see themselves as God does - very good.  They act as they see themselves.   

In what ways did Jesus fulfill Isaiah 53?  He fulfilled it completely.  On the cross, He said, It is finished.  He left nothing undone.  

• 7 months later...
  1. Q4. (John 1:29) What does the title "Lamb of God" tell us about Jesus' ministry? John tells us that Jesus is the “Lamb of God” in some sacrificial sense, in view of the fact that lambs were commonly used by the Jews for sacrifices to obtain forgiveness for sin and thus Isaiah 53 tells us that this is a ministry of atonement and sacrifice that Jesus took upon himself by divine appointment.
  2. According to 1:29, whose sins did he come to take away? He came to take away the sins of the world.
  3. In what ways did Jesus fulfill Isaiah 53? Jesus fulfilled Isaiah 53 in that being the only Son of God and Son of Man He did by His perfection and greatness atone for our sins and represented and substituted, to God the Father’s full satisfaction, for all men in this atonement once and for all generations. This was fulfilled dramatically when:

·         Pilate took Jesus and scourged Him;

·         The soldiers struck Jesus with the palms of their hands.

·         The soldiers took Jesus, bearing His own cross, to Golgotha and there, they crucified Him.

·         One of the soldiers pierced Jesus side with a spear.

Almighty God, thank You for Your Sacrificial Lamb, JESUS

• 2 months later...

Q4. (John 1:29)

What does the title “Lamb of God” tell us about Jesus’ ministry?

• he came into the world with a specific mission and purpose, to be sacrificed as a lamb, sent by God to do this

According to 1:29, whose sins did he come to take away?

• the people who have existed on this planet, both past, present, and future

• he did not open his mouth to defend himself
  • he wasn't impressive looking that anyone would desire him
  • Abba laid on him the iniquities of all mankind

• 3 months later...
On 10/6/2014 at 11:20 PM, Commissioned said:

The title “Lamb of God” tell us that Jesus’ ministry is supernaturally empowered.  According to John 1:29, Jesus came to take away the sin of the world.  The world in this verse signifies the human race.  Jesus fulfilled Isaiah 53 as he was the sacrificial Lamb that atoned for the sin of the world once and for all.

the title Lamb of God tells us that this ministry will not be what the people are looking for. They want Jesus to claim hhis  earthly  throne.They are ready to fight for him, bu Jesus ministry is one of peacce and love. Jesus is ready to lay down his life for the sins of the entire world.

• 9 months later...

The Lamb of God means that Christ is identified by His work.  Christ is the Lamb of God because He is given to mankind by God the Father and the only true Lamb of God.  The only one, not one out of many.

Christ bears the sin of mankind and takes it away.  All during His earthly life, He bore our sins and diseases. Christ is perfect  Savior, not a mere Prophet (Hebews 7:25), an unceasing Saviour in the order of the Melchilzedek priesthood and unwearing Saviour.

Christ came to take away the sin of the world.  The sin is the common guilt and corruption of the world both Jew and Gentile.  The sin that belongs to the world and from the world.  On God's side is the Lamb of God.  The world's side is sin and diseases.

Christ is of one substance with God the Father.  Christ is the Lamb of God: holy, innocent, meek and patient. As the Lamb Messiah, Christ bore the the penal consequences connected to the sins of mankind.  John the Baptist states it so clearly that Jesus is the Son of God as well as the Son of Man.  Truly John could say," He it is who to come after me, who has set above me, the strap of whose sandel I am not worthy to loose." (John 1:27).

• 9 months later...

John 1:29) What does the title "Lamb of God" tell us about Jesus' ministry?

The blood of a spotless lamb was what was looked upon as atonement for the sin of mankind. Only when that lamb was sacrificed and that blood shed, could God be approached again. That is what a lamb was seen to be for. 

Yeshua came as the "Lamb of God " to take away the sin of the world. That reflects that His ministry was to come as the ultimate Sacrifice. To make atonement for man's sin. To wipe clean or purge. 

According to 1:29, whose sins did He come to take away?

He came to take away the sin of the world. He left nothing out. All sin was paid for. 

In every way. 

He did not come to this earth living in a palace or living like a king. (a king or someone in a high position would demand being looked up to, just because of his standard in life. Yeshua was not like that. v2) 

Many people despised him and outright rejected him. The scribes and Pharisees , especially. The ones that should have recognized Him. (v3) 

He as Son of God and Son of Man atoned for sin. He alone as a perfect sacrifice could atone for sin once and for all. (v4)

Before going to the cross He was beaten - stripes were on His body - His body was pierced - in His hands, His feet and His side (v5) 

Our sins/iniquities were laid on Him (v6) 

He could have called for help and stopped it all, but Yeshua carried out God's will. He went to be slaughtered as a lamb, without a fight. (v7) 

He was crucified as if He was wicked, and in fact two criminals with Him. Then He was laid in a rich man's tomb (Joseph of Arimathea) (v9) 

Because of what Christ did on the cross all those who accept what He has done are cleansed from unrighteousness and are seen to be righteous in Him. (v11) 

Again in v12 He bore the sin of many and interceded for the transgressors. While on the cross He asked for the forgiveness of the ones who had led Him there to be crucified. 

Grace and mercy.